Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

I hate how the “suggested tip” at the bottom of a restaurant bill now starts at 18%, 20% and 22%. 

What happened 15% for a small party, 18% for 6+ ?

I usually start at 20% plus for tipping, but if you’re going to try and force an amount on me you’re probably gonna be really disappointed with what I wind up actually giving.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 3:54 PM, PvilleStang said:

The lovely lady who insists on double parking her dually at daycare, and sitting in the parking lot on the phone for 20 minutes idling, all the while filling the playground with diesel fumes.  I drove a diesel for 4 years, and knew DAMN well you can shut it down and restart it without causing detrimental damage.

My pickup mechanic and my tractor mechanic have both requested that the machines get shut off rather than idle for an extended period of time. Both guys said that idling is actually hard on the engine. 

I checked into my SWA EXACTLY 24 hours before the flight. I mean like having my kid watch the clock, do the countdown and me pressing the button EXACTLY at 12:45. We got C8 thru C11.

What magic are other people using (assuming they’re not paying an extra $15 per ticket)? 

The amount of bullshit food/medical advise is too damn high!
This is bad for you. This is good for you. Plant based. No meat. No plants. All meat. No vax. Must vax. Fuck off peddlers of bullshit.

Damnit to Hell! If I find out a company stands for this, but not that! Well, I’m glad you virtue signaled, but now I get to choose! MF, can we just be customers and businesses, and just conduct business, us per usual?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I checked into my SWA EXACTLY 24 hours before the flight. I mean like having my kid watch the clock, do the countdown and me pressing the button EXACTLY at 12:45. We got C8 thru C11.

What magic are other people using (assuming they’re not paying an extra $15 per ticket)? 

It's a combination of status and paying the Early Bird fee. A-List Preferred and A-List get checked in automatically 36 hours before the flight. Then the people who paid for the Early Bird get checked in. So, if you don't have the status and didn't pay for the Early Bird, you won't get a good boarding number on a popular flight. 

If you really want to get on early and don't mind not sitting in an exit row. Throw a brace on your knee, and when you check in tell them you need to pre-board. However only one other person can board with you as a pre-boarder. I've seen it done, I haven't had to, since I have status.

I have flown SWA a lot in the last 3 years and this is how it goes. I have seen as many as 20-25 pre-boarders on a popular destination, flying out of PHX.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On the flip side, they have family boarding after the A group, so we could sit with our kids - 8 and 10 year old.

The agent originally said that they’d only allow family boarding with kids 6 and under, and l’d have to talk to the flight attendant to get at least 2 seats together. But who the fuck would let their 8 year old sit with some random person?

• Hook 'Em 2

People who buy mild salsa.

Except some versions make a good soup/stew base. If you think of it as a green Chile stew starter, or a Mexican tomato chicken soup starter, it’s useful.
For dipping and such, medium’s the way to go…because 1) I’m getting older, and 2) I married a gringa who still occasionally complains when I cook something using “too much black pepper.” Even my kids roll their eyes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Except some versions make a good soup/stew base. If you think of it as a green Chile stew starter, or a Mexican tomato chicken soup starter, it’s useful.
For dipping and such, medium’s the way to go…because 1) I’m getting older, and 2) I married a gringa who still occasionally complains when I cook something using “too much black pepper.” Even my kids roll their eyes.

Jesucristo brisket. You can have your bedazzled trophy balls back. You need them more than I do.
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Being an aficionado of spicy food in the Upper Midwest can be a tough row to hoe.  Almost impossible to avoid mild salsa.

We were in Hawaii last week having brunch when a clearly corn fed kid with Midwest complexion pointed excitedly at another breakfast patron and whispered “mom, they put hot sauce on their eggs!”

Made me chuckle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:27 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Being an aficionado of spicy food in the Upper Midwest can be a tough row to hoe.  Almost impossible to avoid mild salsa.

Just throw some Dorothy Lynch on it and you’ll be fine. Continue your road to diebeetus with the rest of y’all corn fed folks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, nnm said:

Just throw some Dorothy Lynch on it and you’ll be fine. Continue your road to diebeetus with the rest of y’all corn fed folks. 

God, I fucking hate Dorothy Lynch.  Any time we supper at my cousins' it was the only dressing.  Didn't even have ranch.  Just fucking Dorothy Lynch.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Just returned from a trip to Philly and the "hot sauce" at one place was just red-colored vinegar. Zero heat.

You wouldn't even see a Midwestern restaurant attempt to make their own hot sauce, unless it was some place in a city that knew what they were doing.  Pretty much any restaurant will at least have bottled name brand hot sauce that you recognize and tastes the same everywhere.

38 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

People who take half their family to go shopping and take up the whole entire aisle. Fucking trash d898fcdd1b2a819491287c01b6588c3c.jpg

A clothes hanger on the floor of the canned bean aisle leads me to suspect that you bear part of the blame for frequenting this particular store in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

A clothes hanger on the floor of the canned bean aisle leads me to suspect that you bear part of the blame for frequenting this particular store in the first place. 

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

That looks very Walmart-like. If so, entering a Walmart is basically launching oneself into fuck around and find out mode.

Both of these.  But it's also Vic.  Not sure what we expected.  He's probably scoping the chicks.

Probably but I'm going to bitch anyways. I just needed a few items and Wally World was convenient tonight. Plus it's Plano so it's not the trashiest ones around.

Just don't block the aisles and i have no problems with whomever is in there
  • Like 1

One of the benefits of Covid reaction was the elimination of this bullshit in the stores.  I'll never understand the need( or desire!) to bring everyone shopping.
2 people max.

And those motorized carts, I'm guessing 1% really need them and the other 99 are just fucking lazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Entrepreneurs. Just because you sold your old Playstation on Ebay or Let Go does not make you an entrepreneur. Hell, can you even spell entrepreneur?

It's "serial entrepreneur" if they sell more than one console per year.

I worked for a guy once that described himself that way.

What it actually meant was he started a bunch of businesses that mostly sucked and didn't take any of them to truly profitable status.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Probably but I'm going to bitch anyways. I just needed a few items and Wally World was convenient tonight. Plus it's Plano so it's not the trashiest ones around.

Yeah, here at the Walmart in Nastydouches it's a common sight to see 3-300lb women standing/walking abreast in the aisle. If they don't move fairly quickly, I ask them to move....quite rudely. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

• Like 2

Yeah, here at the Walmart in Nastydouches it's a common sight to see 3-300lb women standing/walking abreast in the aisle. If they don't move fairly quickly, I ask them to move....quite rudely. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.
Same. I'm never polite about it. There was a mom and her 2 daughters blocking the main center aisle in the middle of the store just talking. Told them excuse me in a rude way to get through. They looked at me a little dirty. Didn't care. I can't stand people who are oblivious to their surroundings and do shit like that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/28/2023 at 12:26 PM, nnm said:

Something I learned today: there's a dressing made in Nebraska named Dorothy Lynch, and it is "both sweet and spicy."  I love this place.

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Bush Turnpike and Coit?  

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

And those motorized carts, I'm guessing 1% really need them and the other 99 are just fucking lazy.

I'm tired of being the only person who follows the rules.  Next time I go to HEB I'm going to ride around on one of those scooters with Sebastian as my 70 lb emotional support doofus.  I'm going to make it a point to crash into every one of those order pullers and then I'm going to take my 25 items to the express lane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

I'm tired of being the only person who follows the rules.  Next time I go to HEB I'm going to ride around on one of those scooters with Sebastian as my 70 lb emotional support doofus.  I'm going to make it a point to crash into every one of those order pullers and then I'm going to take my 25 items to the express lane.

You rebel. What’s next? You going to marry a stripper?(again)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also while we are on stores,

People need to follow the rules of the road. Walk on the right side of the aisles.

Stop flying out into the main store aisle without even looking when you turn your cart.

People who have to stand 3 inches from the shelves when looking at items and blocking me from getting something. Then acting inconvenienced when I ask them to move..

Driving erratic in the store parking lots. Waiting for a spot up front so you block the whole lane because you can't go park a few spots down and walk. This is why I park as far away from the front as possible.

Not walking with any sort of purpose. Just wandering around extremely slow and getting stuck behind them
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’ve frequented Walmart this year more than the last few years combined. Not only are their groceries cheaper than the grocery store I usually goto, but the people watching is great because you’ll never know what you’ll see.

You get Hy-Vee that far north?