Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

Another fucking thing that is pissing me off...

I tried to renew my TSA precheck on 04/01. Usually it takes 3-5 days, but could take up to 60 days. I called them today because it's been 60+ calendar days, and they said they didn't receive it until 04/20, and to check back if I haven't received it by 04/19. I have a work trip coming up on 06/12, and I won't want to take my fucking shoes off. 

For reference, my wife applied for her TSA number on the same day, and she got hers 3 days later.

Fucking DHS.

Sounds like DHS is checking out your Surly posts. I wouldn’t hold my breath on that renewal. 

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

People who try to board the plane early before their group is called. Person in group 5 tried to get in with group 2 and got put in time out.

But that’s minor compared to the morons who can’t  find their seat.

(We’re in a plane with 3 seats on both sides of the aisle). 

If you’re supposed to be in seat 12E, how the fuck did you end up in 11C? People are stupid. 

If you try to jump the line for boarding, you should be forced to board last. “Oh sorry, now we are out of overhead space. Just gonna gate check that for ya” 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If you try to jump the line for boarding, you should be forced to board last. “Oh sorry, now we are out of overhead space. Just gonna gate check that for ya” 

And there should be a special brown tag for those items to flag that they should be unloaded last. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Went to get McDonalds breakfast and it was pretty crowded.  They use the screens for ordering in this one.  I waited my turn, in front of me were a man and a kid at one screen and a woman and a kid at a second screen. Neither of them very good at ordering, lots of scrolling and choosing what they wanted.  Later, after picking up food it became clear— they were one family that divided up and occupied two screens. Assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

People who try to board the plane early before their group is called. Person in group 5 tried to get in with group 2 and got put in time out.

If you’re supposed to be in seat 12E, how the fuck did you end up in 11C? People are stupid. 

Dang near every flight I take someone is bound to sit in the wrong seat. And, it is not me.

21 hours ago, Superhero said:

12E is a middle.  11C is an aisle.  They were doing it on purpose.

12 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Went to get McDonalds breakfast and it was pretty crowded.  They use the screens for ordering in this one.  I waited my turn, in front of me were a man and a kid at one screen and a woman and a kid at a second screen. Neither of them very good at ordering, lots of scrolling and choosing what they wanted.  Later, after picking up food it became clear— they were one family that divided up and occupied two screens. Assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Grabbed breakfast from McD’s this morning.  I was asked to go park in one of the numbered spots.  I ordered a sausage egg mcmuffin and a sausage biscuit with egg, so it wasn’t like I was trying to feed a small army or ordered some ridiculously complicated thing.  Something like 5 people went through the drive thru and received their food before my shit was brought out.  Next time I’m going to decline going to the numbered spot and make them bring me my food before the people who were in line behind me.

45 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Grabbed breakfast from McD’s this morning.  I was asked to go park in one of the numbered spots.  I ordered a sausage egg mcmuffin and a sausage biscuit with egg, so it wasn’t like I was trying to feed a small army or ordered some ridiculously complicated thing.  Something like 5 people went through the drive thru and received their food before my shit was brought out.  Next time I’m going to decline going to the numbered spot and make them bring me my food before the people who were in line behind me.

Not that I disagree, but enjoy your Phlegm McMuffin.

• Haha 3

On 6/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Oh man, this is borderline non-trivial. I had the same sort of thing happen in the express lane at a grocery. Two lanes where the cashiers were on opposite sides of the aisle so the customers shared a lane. “12 items or less,” the sign said. I took the right lane because the woman in front of me there had exactly 12 items. The guy in the left hand lane had around 30 or more. I commented about it and the woman in front of me made a half-hearted comment as if she agreed with me. We got hung up until the guy in the other lane finally paid for his groceries. Then he turned and handed his credit card to the woman in front of me because they were together.

They were parked close to me in the parking lot and took longer to load their groceries into their car, of course. I may have shouted, “Fuck you, you piece of shit!” as I drove by. I will neither confirm nor deny the use of that epithet.

19 minutes ago, DougO said:

Goddamn news/politics shows blasting on a dozen different big screen TVs all around in the joint where I'm trying to chill and have my coffee with a friend. 

We need surly TV.

Nothing but vignettes about sports, cholas, and small engine repair...

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh man, this is borderline non-trivial. I had the same sort of thing happen in the express lane at a grocery. Two lanes where the cashiers were on opposite sides of the aisle so the customers shared a lane. “12 items or less,” the sign said. I took the right lane because the woman in front of me there had exactly 12 items. The guy in the left hand lane had around 30 or more. I commented about it and the woman in front of me made a half-hearted comment as if she agreed with me. We got hung up until the guy in the other lane finally paid for his groceries. Then he turned and handed his credit card to the woman in front of me because they were together.

They were parked close to me in the parking lot and took longer to load their groceries into their car, of course. I may have shouted, “Fuck you, you piece of shit!” as I drove by. I will neither confirm nor deny the use of that epithet.

If you killed both of them and I was on your jury reasonable doubt would be found.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:58 PM, Superhero said:

Not the people on the plane yesterday. They were genuinely stupid. 

I blame the airlines. Instead of loading by section, they should load: Window first, Center row second, Aisle last. What slows the process down is the Aisle people having to get up to let the window people sit.

• Like 1

Three times in the last six months I send a client a word document for review that includes a signature page that gets returned to me signed but the spacing is all messed up with wording from other pages. Three times now. What the fuck kind of computer are these people using? And if they see it print that way, they can't fix it before printing to sign and return? I'm going to have to start sending only pdfs and take other idiot-proof measures. These are corporate clients. I seriously don't understand.

9 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I blame the airlines. Instead of loading by section, they should load: Window first, Center row second, Aisle last. What slows the process down is the Aisle people having to get up to let the window people sit.

• Hook 'Em 1

People who expose their disgusting, food-covered tongue every time they take a bite. Especially eating finger foods like chips and salsa. One in-law of mine sticks their tongue out like they’re trying to catch drips from the chip. Fucking lean over if you’re that worried about soiling your shirt. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No Fiestas in Lubbock?

I was joking, but no there are no Fiestas in Lubbock.  United has "Amigos" but it ain't the same.

16 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Waitress brought the dinner check.

989a99580a1823138c31f102365da616.jpg

Dropped my card.

“I’m sorry sir, we don’t take American Express.”

16668b437547452dba0379cf2dc83666.gif

Kudos to them though for calculating the tip on the pre-tax amount.  Makes me surly when they calculate on post-tax amount, which fits this thread.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, elfenix said:

between tax and tip you're looking at an additional 25-35% added to whatever the menu price is.  fucking ridiculous setup we've gotten ourselves into. 

If you were concerned with value, you would have eaten at home...

#spiritofsurly

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

smdh inflation has even hit the minimum tipping guidelines

Still pretty easy to calculate 10% in my head. Fuck this creep in tip percentages for basic service.

But that is sleazy as hell to provide 18/20/25 and not 15/20/25.

• Hook 'Em 1

Today, my wife and I stopped by a little no-name drive through place for a dessert. I paid with a credit card, and the snot-nosed kid stuck the card reader out the window so I could “finish the transaction” by selecting a tip. I chose the lowest percentage just to ensure the snot stayed in his nose and not on my food.

I guess this isn’t that much different than a tip jar at a walk-up counter, but these kids are making well above minimum wage instead of the low base wage that servers traditionally get. I’m a good white guy tipper in those latter circumstances, usually 25% on the total bill after tax (or higher if I just have water to drink).

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

The creeping up of minimum tip suggestions over the years is bullshit. Menu prices are out of control already so let's ask for a higher percentage of a higher base. How about fuck you?

For to go orders, counter orders, I agree.  But I've gotten to where my standard waiter/bartender tip is 30-35%.   Their base pay is still $2/hr. and they have to pay more for everything else, too. 

43 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This guy just send me an email wanting to discuss our safety program. Here's his email signature:

(name) CSP,ASP,CESCO,CESCP,REP,CFEI,CFI-II

Did he fall asleep with his finger on the key board when he was creating his email signature?

• Haha 1