Star Wars Nerds

lateshow

9 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I do think Episode I and VII were for the most part expertly cast.  Portman, McGregor, and Neeson were fantastic, as were Ridley and Isaacs.  Both the prequel and sequel trilogies are tragic in the amount of “what could have been.”

Ridley can't carry a movie. Issacs was only supposed to be in The Force Awakens, but of course he's so good they decided to put him in all 3, and it shows. The writing for his character was terrible in the final 2 films because there was no plan for his character arc. 

Portman just didn't fit in a Star Wars movie. She's a good actresses, but she just seemed out of place in the prequels. 

He's too old for live action, but please give me in Neeson in a Qui-Gon cartoon. 

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I know nothing about the Obi-Wan series, but they've got to have Neeson teaching Obi-Wan how to turn himself into a force ghost right?

Possibly.

There was a deleted scene from Episode III where Yoda communicates with Qui-Gon and learns how to force ghost, so we very well may end up seeing “force ghost Qui-Gon” in the Obi-Wan series.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought The Force Awakens was decent-ish. The other two sequels are garbage. 

Revenge of The Sith is good. Fight me.

Episodes I and II aren’t good, but they have some cool stuff. Duel of the Fates is a beautifully shot and exciting scene. Jango Fett - Kenobi fight in Episode II was very cool. Filoni’s explanation of Qui-Gon makes me appreciate his character more. 

Solo is pretty good. 

Rogue One is a great film. 

Natalie Portman GIF

9 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

IV-VI.  Then Rogue One.  Those are the only objectively good Star Wars films.  

If you enjoyed all of those and want more feature length Star Wars films, then watch Episode I, which is not great but fully watchable and has a few great scenes; it is better if you’re under 12 years old.  Now, Episode II is an aborted fetus of a film.  I truly wish there was a condensed cut of that one.  But if you’re going to digest the prequel trilogy you can’t fully skip it.  But it sucks.  Yoda flipping around and shit was novel at the time but at this point even that is hokey.  Episode III is better than Episode II; like Episode I it is not a good film but is fully watchable and has a few great scenes.

Only do the sequel trilogy if, after watching all of the other films, you are still super hungry for fresh feature length Star Wars content.  Episodes VII and VIII are roughly on par with Episodes I and III.  Watchable.  There are some bloody awful cringe-inducing scenes and terribad acting in all 4 of those movies, but if you love Star Wars there are likely enough things to enjoy about them to make them worthwhile.

DO NOT WATCH EPISODE IX.  It is one of the worst films of all time and will ruin the entire Skywalker saga for you.  Just pretend it does not exist.  It has no redeeming qualities.  The Solo movie is also trash.

Knowing what I know now, I think most people who’ve never seen Star Wars would be best off by watching IV-VI and Rogue One, then sticking to the shows like The Mandalorian.

You can't make a list of the best Star Wars screen content and completely ignore Rebels and Clone Wars. The final four episodes of Clone Wars is basically a movie in itself and is some of the best Star Wars content ever released. The final arc to Rebels is up there as well, although it isn't in a few discreet episodes.

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You can't make a list of the best Star Wars screen content and completely ignore Rebels and Clone Wars. The final four episodes of Clone Wars is basically a movie in itself and is some of the best Star Wars content ever released. The final arc to Rebels is up there as well, although it isn't in a few discreet episodes.

I still have high hopes for The Bad Batch, but my goodness, Filoni painted himself into a corner after those final 4 episodes of Clone Wars. Almost impossible to top that. 

37 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You can't make a list of the best Star Wars screen content and completely ignore Rebels and Clone Wars.

I think we can separate cartoons from the rest. 

Although some of the live action stuff might as well be cartoons I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been rewatching Solo in bits and pieces. 

- Alden Ehrenreich did a pretty good job considering the circumstances. 

- Tobias isn't as cool a character as I remember him being. 

- Glover of course is great as Lando. 

- The Lady Proxima character was such a bizarre choice. A sewer worm allergic to the sun runs the underworld on Corellia with an army of white worms. I mean that's some weird shit right there. Was one of the Herberts in the writing room? 

End of the day, I love a rag tag crew Star Wars story. It's worth a watch. 

• Hook 'Em 4

With the exception of the Space Octopus, the last hour of Solo holds up.

Good to see Woody reverse Munson somebody. Sike. Han killing somebody in cold blood gives credence to Han shot first. 

I kind of think Han was force sensitive. Outstanding pilot. Got the drop on Tobias.  He survived a lot of shit most people don’t make it out of. Dryden Vos should have destroyed him, but he held his own. Plus he fathered Kylo Ren.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I recently tried to watch Ep 1 and couldn't get more than 20 minutes into it.  Then I tried Ep 7.  Nope.  Surely Ep 3 was watchable, as I remembered it to be.  I just can't.  None of the other two trilogies are watchable.  Just god awful.

I watched episode I with my 6 year old last weekend.  It has aged well for me.  I used to just get mad watching it because it was so bad, but this time I actually enjoyed it.  Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar are still bloody awful, midichlorians was bad idea jeans, and basing the plot around political disputes was stupid.  But the pod race was good and the final duel with Maul might be the best scene in any of the non-OT movies.  

If they’d just made Anakin 12 instead of 7 (or whatever) that movie would have been orders of magnitude better.

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

I don’t know what my expectations were, but I was pleasantly surprised by Tales of the Jedi. It says “Season 1” on Disney so I wonder if they’re going to make more (or maybe they’ve already answered this and I’m just dumb).

It's a Star Wars animated series with Filoni as the show runner. That pretty much guarantees it's gonna be good shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mace and Dooku wrecking shop in Episode 3 of Tales of the Jedi was pretty, pretty good. 

I like the character building they’re doing for dooku. Making him much less of a black / white. Road to hell paved with good intentions and whatnot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Disney needs to put the entire Star Wars franchise in timeline mode where you can watch everything from beginning to end.  So whenever a series finishes its episodes get put into the show in timeline order.

So it would have all the great animated stuff sliced between the prequels and episode 4 etc.  There are things that may not fit in perfectly.  Like episodes of shows where there are flashbacks, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, billfromlaketravis said:
  Hide contents

Uh, did I just watch Yaddle die onscreen?! That’s a pretty big development in Star Wars canon. 

Episode 4.

Yes.  And it was sad.

And voiced by Bryce Dallas Howard.

Edited by Js1

The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era. A former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes, but the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-acolyte-original-series-cast-revealed

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Hot damn, Tales of the Jedi was great (except the first episode, it was dumb). I liked seeing the added Dooku backstory, and of course more (animated) Ahsoka is always good. If you are suffering from Clone Wars withdrawal check it out. The tie in at the end of episode five was particularly good.

Oh and they dropped a three minute Studio Ghibli Grogu film that I guess is a teaser for something?

• 9 months later...

I just finished a rewatch of “Andor” and it was absolutely fantastic even the 3rd time. I may have enjoyed it even more than “Rogue One” but that’s a bit unfair. “Rogue One” has a much longer time to tell a story. 

it’s nice enough to sit on the porch tonight and watch tv tonight, so I’ve been watching Ep. 3 tonight. I think the story was solid, but it looks like a cartoon. It doesn’t look real. It’s awful. Why couldn’t the people that wrote Rogue One and Andor have been the people to do the prequels. The epic story was there. The execution of said story is just fucking awful.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 6 months later...