The Eyes of Texas

LTtxfan

The funniest article she wrote was the one that put Colt McCoy’s name in the headline to generate clicks. The article itself said McCoy was on an email chain and invited to a 75 person conference call. She presented zero facts that McCoy even had a conversation with anyone at the university or associated with the university about the song.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I were a student today, I would do my best to start a tradition of singing The Eyes on campus every day at the same time.  Maybe noon or 4pm or something like that at the base of the Tower.  Get a group to start it up.  I know my buddies would have been down.

Surely there are some like-minded students on campus today. 

Maybe when more students are back on campus in the Fall?

• Hook 'Em 3

The quality of “journalism” at the Texas Tribune rivals that of  the The National Enquirer you used to see at the counter of the grocery store. Negged for posting a link to that complete and total trash. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The quality of “journalism” at the Texas Tribune rivals that of  the The National Enquirer you used to see at the counter of the grocery store. Negged for posting a link to that complete and total trash. 

This is going to be how it is from now on. You might as well get used to it.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

You think I haven't seen someone pull a loaded gun before? 

On your computer screen?  Must be terrifying. Here’s another one for your screen.  Haven’t figured a way for the bullet to go through a zoom meeting link  

2CF2CD97-A2A7-4C7A-8E46-A96C11A6027A.jpeg

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

This is going to be how it is from now on. You might as well get used to it.

I literally told my wife I know how to get a poster named David Dennison to respond to a thread. When I showed her your quick response, she accused me of also posting under your name. 

Your Pavlovian response to criticism of media is so fucking predictable. Don't stop being you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I literally told my wife I know how to get a poster named David Dennison to respond to a thread. When I showed her your quick response, she accused me of also posting under your name. 

Your Pavlovian response to criticism of media is so fucking predictable. Don't stop being you. 

Irony.

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

If I were a student today, I would do my best to start a tradition of singing The Eyes on campus every day at the same time.  Maybe noon or 4pm or something like that at the base of the Tower.  Get a group to start it up.  I know my buddies would have been down.

Surely there are some like-minded students on campus today. 

Maybe when more students are back on campus in the Fall?

You aren’t of the current generation of easily offended college students. I’d like to think that at least 3 of my 4 kids would be right there with your buddies, but sometimes I wonder. 

I was hammered last night, I didn't read the article and thought it meant that they were livestreaming an on campus event on zoom and someone pulled a gun while it was streaming, not that he pulled it on webcam. My bad. Thanks tequila.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

Are you saying UT should be taking kids who are at Auburn's level academically?

I hope you understand or learn the down side of the top 10% rule (or whatever it's at). Kids outside the top 10% at great performing high schools schools lose a spot at UT to kids in the top 10% from poor performing high schools. For example, the kid who's top 12% at Westlake is probably better educated than the kid who's top 7% at Manor yet the Manor kid is guaranteed a spot. That forces the Westlake kid to go to say, Auburn.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, n64ra said:

I hope you understand or learn the down side of the top 10% rule (or whatever it's at). Kids outside the top 10% at great performing high schools schools lose a spot at UT to kids in the top 10% from poor performing high schools. For example, the kid who's top 12% at Westlake is probably better educated than the kid who's top 7% at Manor yet the Manor kid is guaranteed a spot. That forces the Westlake kid to go to say, Auburn.

FWIW, I've heard UT is only admitting top 6% currently. The bigger issue is the university not wanting to expand enrollment but demand is outrageously high. I think in general the 10% rule is good because it allows rural kids the opportunity to come the University of Texas but if it was like you're suggesting a lot of those kids wouldn't get the chance.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FWIW, I've heard UT is only admitting top 6% currently. The bigger issue is the university not wanting to expand enrollment but demand is outrageously high. I think in general the 10% rule is good because it allows rural kids the opportunity to come the University of Texas but if it was like you're suggesting a lot of those kids wouldn't get the chance.

Certainly there is a upside to the rule, and it's as you state for the rural kids. However, no one should believe the top 10% rule is all positive with no drawbacks.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is no good reason to expand enrollment.  The system is putting resources into other UT campuses - the system needs more than one flagship.  We don't want to risk watering down UT-Austin like aggy has done in their corner of the state.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter's class is currently 6 people.  Does that mean that 1/3 of the top ranked student in her class could go to UT?

it means that no one in her school would get auto admitted based on that rule.  

• Hook 'Em 1

there is definitely some confusion here. the top 6% are guaranteed admission.  That doesn't preclude other non-top 6% getting in.  At my kids high school, 36% of his class that applied to UT got accepted, and most of the ones that didnt get accepted were offered CAP of PACE which could put them on campus sophmore year.  The skew is likely due to a much lower acceptance rate for McCombs for example than other UT colleges. And my kid, who may have been in the top 25% got in without me having to buy a building so its possible....

ut2020.PNG

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

There is no good reason to expand enrollment.  The system is putting resources into other UT campuses - the system needs more than one flagship.  We don't want to risk watering down UT-Austin like aggy has done in their corner of the state.

Who is arguing about expanding enrollment like aggie? I think the argument being presented here is that 6% may have long term consequences in terms of donor base and staying stagnant with enrollment the same.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

No, Texas valedictorians get automatic admission to state schools (I raised two, although the first chose to go to Rice anyway)

You are correct.  I didn't follow how this story played out, only knew of the initial rejection.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/state/texas-news/when-ut-denied-this-valedictorian-she-got-it-to-change-admissions-rules/269-441799723

3 hours ago, n64ra said:

This is the exact reason FOR the top 10% rule.

• Hook 'Em 1