The Eyes of Texas

LTtxfan

On 9/8/2021 at 8:35 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Jokes aside, it’s amazing how racist aggy is, yet you bastards get saddled with this bullshit.  Really is unbelievable.  

Well, to be fair, UT has a pretty horrific record of institutional racism.  Most of it, besides ugly individual and smallish group incidents, is in the past.

But this one is brutal.  1950.

https://legaldictionary.net/sweatt-v-painter/

• An African-American law school applicant was denied admission into the University of Texas Law School solely because of his race.
  • Upon suit filed by the applicant, the university tried to set up a separate facility for African-American law students.
  • The Texas courts found that having the separate law school for African-Americans satisfied the Equal Protection Clause.
  • The U.S. Supreme Court disagreed, holding that the separate law school for African-Americans was inferior in a number of ways.  Therefore, the Equal Protection Clause dictated that the applicant must be admitted to the University of Texas Law School.

51 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, to be fair, UT has a pretty horrific record of institutional racism.  Most of it, besides ugly individual and smallish group incidents, is in the past.

• An African-American law school applicant was denied admission into the University of Texas Law School solely because of his race.
  • Upon suit filed by the applicant, the university tried to set up a separate facility for African-American law students.
  • The Texas courts found that having the separate law school for African-Americans satisfied the Equal Protection Clause.
  • The U.S. Supreme Court disagreed, holding that the separate law school for African-Americans was inferior in a number of ways.  Therefore, the Equal Protection Clause dictated that the applicant must be admitted to the University of Texas Law School.

Yes, aggy IS a racist institution, UT was one...

• Hook 'Em 1

1950 — or just three years after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in MLB so it’s not like this country as a whole was doing a bang-up job as far as equality goes.
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oh this again. If only there was a report

Seriously. The report should be required reading for anyone attempting to weigh in on the topic. In fact, if you're weighing in on it now and haven't read it, fucking go read it already.

• Hook 'Em 7

There’s one thing that I’ve never said (and I’ve said plenty) about how this whole black face/minstrel show and how it makes no sense. It was obviously written to poke fun at the President, and they were proud of it and wanted to introduce it to the masses. Why would then don blackface and sing a bastardized version that mocks uneducated blacks? And if they did, why didn’t that catch on instead of what became the school song?

Oh, yeah. It’s not about what really happened. Duh. 

16 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Student Government Meeting:

b955bdb830f2aafc5a49e9d048a56097.jpg

Those of you who were on campus in the early 80s may recall that Student Government had been eliminated years earlier. A group of students led by Paul Begala (yes, that Paul Begala) pushed to resurrect it. Of course Paul - wanting it for his resume - was the candidate for SB President. There was a campaign to put Hank The Hallucination from the Daily Texan cartoon Eyebeam on the ballot for President (or maybe as a write-in vote). Begala and company were so worried that they would lose to a fictional cartoon character/middle finger candidate that they had the rules changed. No one gave a shit about Student Government, but Paul got his resume padded. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’m in on getting rid of band and doubling Pom Squad. 
Replaces “Eyes” problem with eye candy. 

Is there enough talent left of campus after the 10% rule (or more correctly, now, the 6% rule) to double the size of the pom squad?

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

Is there enough talent left of campus after the 10% rule (or more correctly, now, the 6% rule) to double the size of the pom squad?

If there is anything more tiresome than the Eyes debate, it might be the “are there any thots on campus anymore?” debate 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

My wife made the comment when we were at Magnolia Cafe c. 2000, surrounded by several tables full of UT coeds that the girls just didn’t seem to care about their appearance like they did in the 80s. I’m sure it’s gotten worse since then.

P.S. - Apologies to UncleSonny. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

I'm sorry these students feel that playing TEOT before and after sporting events puts them in danger. When my grandparents were going to school they had to deal with Charles Whitman's sniper rifle shooting at kids from the main building and being drafted into Vietnam after graduation. I can only imagine the horror these kids experience every time UT suits up before a football game or after a double OT basketball victory. 

In all seriousness, I can somewhat respect that this is coming from student government. I had no respect for the LHB drum major and band members doing what they did a few years ago because they weren't willing to hold themselves accountable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm sorry these students feel that playing TEOT before and after sporting events puts them in danger. When my grandparents were going to school they had to deal with Charles Whitman's sniper rifle shooting at kids from the main building and being drafted into Vietnam after graduation. I can only imagine the horror these kids experience every time UT suits up before a football game or after a double OT basketball victory. 

In all seriousness, I can somewhat respect that this is coming from student government. I had no respect for the LHB drum major and band members doing what they did a few years ago because they weren't willing to hold themselves accountable. 

So what you're saying these kids need a good old fashioned war?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Miley Cyrus, Carly Rae Jepson, and AC/DC have already supplanted the Longhorn Band. It’s Bob Cole and Company blasting non-stop over the band these days.

I miss the good ol' days of hearing Europe's The Final Countdown on full blast at Memorial Stadium.

On 2/8/2023 at 12:33 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Those of you who were on campus in the early 80s may recall that Student Government had been eliminated years earlier. A group of students led by Paul Begala (yes, that Paul Begala) pushed to resurrect it. Of course Paul - wanting it for his resume - was the candidate for SB President. There was a campaign to put Hank The Hallucination from the Daily Texan cartoon Eyebeam on the ballot for President (or maybe as a write-in vote). Begala and company were so worried that they would lose to a fictional cartoon character/middle finger candidate that they had the rules changed. No one gave a shit about Student Government, but Paul got his resume padded. 

Hank actually won. Shit changed after the election. 
I was on Team Hank, bitches.

The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You!

image.jpeg.b6404bca74305fd12529d3ac376c06da.jpeg

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

And it didn't matter, as Hank still got the most votes.  I also remember someone constructed a larger-than-life image of Hank the Hallucination in Littlefield fountain during the campaign.  It was hilarious...and you're right; nobody gave a shit about student government then, other than to mock the very concept, and I'd bet that is still the case today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

And it didn't matter, as Hank still got the most votes.  I also remember someone constructed a larger-than-life image of Hank the Hallucination in Littlefield fountain during the campaign.  It was hilarious...and you're right; nobody gave a shit about student government then, other than to mock the very concept, and I'd bet that is still the case today.

Met Paul at the College World Series this year.  CSB, Hook 'em.