The Eyes of Texas

LTtxfan

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ll back off my statement that almost every team is more attractive, but I’d still not put Texas in the upper echelon. If there are 3 tiers, Texas is in the middle, not knocking on either door.

That comes with the territory of being an elite team, much like being an elite academic institution. 

Maaaaan, matters of taste, but Logan, Madi Skinner, and Molly Phillips aren't giving a whole lot up to many other D-1 volleyball players.  And that's 2.5 starters out of six on the court.  And, again, dependent on taste, Zoe Fleck, SKT, and Keonilei Akana aren't too shabby, either.

Even if blondo stone-faced, mechatronic Stepford hitters like Anna DeBeer are really your thing, she's just one gal.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Athletics writes a check to academic side every year. Going to the SEC will only increase that check moving forward. And it’s been proven that a visible, successful football program will drive admissions to your school. 

I hear that Cal Tech, University of Chicago, and Harvard are going to look into joining the SEC. You know, you can't drive admissions without a good football program. 

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I hear that Cal Tech, University of Chicago, and Harvard are going to look into joining the SEC. You know, you can't drive admissions without a good football program. 

There are dozens and dozens of articles and research on the topic how success and visibility in football affect your applications and admissions on the academic side. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There are dozens and dozens of articles and research on the topic how success and visibility in football affect your applications and admissions on the academic side. 

Yes, for schools that don't have a solid academic profile. And frankly, I don't give a shit if UT has more applicants. More applicants so that we can reject more people? WGAF? 

Better overall applicants? That's a different story. But I don't think moving to the SEC is going to goose that.

Here's what it's been with the football team being crummy. I think we're going to be ok:

Click the chart to watch the video.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yes, for schools that don't have a solid academic profile.

For all you dumb mother fucker. Do you not realize that increased applications even to schools with great academics increases the talent you can choose accept? Long term affects mean more donors and more funds also coming into the school not just for athletics. It’s literally proven  

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

For all you dumb mother fucker. Do you not realize that increased applications even to schools with great academics increases the talent you can choose accept? Long term affects mean more donors and more funds also coming into the school not just for athletics. It’s literally proven  

Texas needs more donors and funds like Sydney Sweeney needs a breast enhancement surgery
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maaaaan, matters of taste, but Logan, Madi Skinner, and Molly Phillips aren't giving a whole lot up to many other D-1 volleyball players.  And that's 2.5 starters out of six on the court.  And, again, dependent on taste, Zoe Fleck, SKT, and Keonilei Akana aren't too shabby, either.

Even if blondo stone-faced, mechatronic Stepford hitters like Anna DeBeer are really your thing, she's just one gal.

^^^^
image.thumb.png.6fc4d3b585254f795f91a30cce860a7e.png

image.thumb.png.6d4ab2af99b3d992ccb7e5dc75ccf811.png

image.thumb.png.2f52c5edd7b20c15c41192dc2537e10b.png

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, Frank Drebin said:

The current teams in the SEC sans Texas and OU are better academically than the current teams in the Big 12 sans Texas and OU.

Vanderbilt, Florida, UGA and A&M are better than anything in the Big 12.  I mean maybe ISU is better than A&M, not sure.

My son applied to ISU and was accepted literally in seconds.  Of the schools he applied to that's the only one that did that, so I didn't get a sense they had rigorous entrance standards.

I've always thought of KU as the distant second best school in the big 12, but I honestly have no hard data to back that up. 

Meanwhile, I received President Hartzell's email (cheerleading or propaganda?) this morning about the move to the SEC. Regarding academics, Hartzell said the move will:
-- "strengthen our global brand and reputation, leading more people to consider our university as a place to study, teach and work" 
-- "Our academic mission will benefit as a result"
Could someone explain how allying UT with the most racist, backward states of America achieves the above goals? In effect, UT is literally allying itself with the former confederacy. I think it is a regressive, disgraceful move. 

Or you know, maybe the University could be a leader and positive influence on the others?

Nah, thats crazy talk, we gotta join in the ignorance! *searches Amazon for Confederate battle flag and coonskin cap*
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Not a cat said:

My son applied to ISU and was accepted literally in seconds.  Of the schools he applied to that's the only one that did that, so I didn't get a sense they had rigorous entrance standards.

I've always thought of KU as the distant second best school in the big 12, but I honestly have no hard data to back that up. 

Kansas has an acceptance rate of 93%.

7 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Kansas has an acceptance rate of 93%.

Well, there you go, I don't know shit about other big 12 schools apparently.  Damn, the big 12 is kind of a joke academically now that I really think about it.  Especially compared to big 10 or the current members of the PAC. 

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

Well, there you go, I don't know shit about other big 12 schools apparently.  Damn, the big 12 is kind of a joke academically now that I really think about it.  Especially compared to big 10 or the current members of the PAC. 

Original Big 12 had 7 AAU members. The new Big 12 will only have 1 (Kansas). Kansas is still one of, if not the top, academic school in the Big 12.

I don’t think all of you get it. 

On one hand, the university had a commission led by the head of the African American Studies department that researched “The Eyes” and reported on any racially charged or insensitive aspects of its origin and use, and recommended keeping it. 

On the other hand, do you realize what a baller the student that forces UT to drop it will be? Begala parlayed being the first student body president in over a decade into a run that left him a presidential advisor and media talking head. The student that forces UT to drop a beloved school song will be admitted to an Ivy graduate program or law school, maybe clerk for a Supreme Court Justice. 

What do you have against student politicos getting ahead?

Edited by statsman
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, statsman said:

Begala parlayed being the first student body president in over a decade into a run that left him a presidential advisor and media talking head.

The first what student body president?  But yeah, there's probably some ambition driving this as much or more than sincere belief that it's racist.

One of the bottom lines is that I think the student body is bit less "rah rah" and invested in school traditions than it has been in the past (although the predicted drop in sports attendance doesn't seem to be coming to pass).  That's not a bad thing, as blind adherence to traditions turns you into aggy.

And I am virtually certain that the student body is more aware of things like Littlefield, Simkins and Painter and what they symbolize.  I had no idea about Sweatt v. Painter until law school and even though I fancied myself as pretty conservative, I was shocked by it.

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The first what student body president?  But yeah, there's probably some ambition driving this as much or more than sincere belief that it's racist.

One of the bottom lines is that I think the student body is bit less "rah rah" and invested in school traditions than it has been in the past (although the predicted drop in sports attendance doesn't seem to be coming to pass).  That's not a bad thing, as blind adherence to traditions turns you into aggy.

And I am virtually certain that the student body is more aware of things like Littlefield, Simkins and Painter and what they symbolize.  I had no idea about Sweatt v. Painter until law school and even though I fancied myself as pretty conservative, I was shocked by it.

The story of Sweatt was well known when I was at UT.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Fewer articles on how steep immigration increases applications to your flagship university.  I just read 250 people are added to the Houston area population every day.  I doubt they are coming because they think you are a racist state. 

Why do folks love to cling to the past? The University of Texas is not a person. People good and bad have been associated with it but they are not "Texas". A lot has been done to redirect and initiatives invoked to try and rectify wrong doings of the past. 

Idgaf what they were doing in 1908 or whatever the year was. It has absolutely no bearing on the meaning/ritual of what TEOT is in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Why do folks love to cling to the past? The University of Texas is not a person. People good and bad have been associated with it but they are not "Texas". A lot has been done to redirect and initiatives invoked to try and rectify wrong doings of the past. 

Idgaf what they were doing in 1908 or whatever the year was. It has absolutely no bearing on the meaning/ritual of what TEOT is in 2023.

You got something better to sing? Let’s hear it?

3 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

In some ways, you're right.  But, it could well have been a song with a racist meaning with that meaning lost to time.  That would be a different issue.

But if you come to UT as say a minority student who has personally been discriminated against, and whose immediately family has been discriminated against, you may have your antennae up.  And then you encounter all the historical racism built into a place, then maybe the idea that the school song is a racist relic becomes pretty plausible.  Things like Littlefield, a pretty virulent racist, being plastered all over the place, and Simkins, another one apparently.  Then a Jeff Davis statue on campus.  Could maybe creep you out a little.

It doesn't permit one to disregard the facts.  But the racist history is at least somewhat relevant.

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In some ways, you're right.  But, it could well have been a song with a racist meaning with that meaning lost to time.  That would be a different issue.

But if you come to UT as say a minority student who has personally been discriminated against, and whose immediately family has been discriminated against, you may have your antennae up.  And then you encounter all the historical racism built into a place, then maybe the idea that the school song is a racist relic becomes pretty plausible.  Things like Littlefield, a pretty virulent racist, being plastered all over the place, and Simkins, another one apparently.  Then a Jeff Davis statue on campus.  Could maybe creep you out a little.

It doesn't permit one to disregard the facts.  But the racist history is at least somewhat relevant.

I agree with a lot of what you said. But there's no way to please everyone. It's obvious TEOT is one of (if not the biggest) rituals that brings Texas fans together young and old, black (until recently) and white. It's important to redact hurtful things but we can't change who we are for acceptance. Littlefield, the dumb civil war statues are things that can be nuked into orbit. But a 100+ year old tradition that many hold near and dear is pretty much a non negotiable. Especially since it's never been used in a way to cause harm on anyone. I mean hell, it was played at Coach Royal's memorial service. 

https://youtu.be/28A6ZFJ_D3k

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. But there's no way to please everyone. It's obvious TEOT is one of (if not the biggest) rituals that brings Texas fans together young and old, black (until recently) and white. It's important to redact hurtful things but we can't change who we are for acceptance. Littlefield, the dumb civil war statues are things that can be nuked into orbit. But a 100+ year old tradition that many hold near and dear is pretty much a non negotiable. Especially since it's never been used in a way to cause harm on anyone. I mean hell, it was played at Coach Royal's memorial service. 

I think we're pretty much in agreement.

I don't think getting rid of EOT is warranted.

I'm not totally "fuck your feelings," either.  Given the history of UT, it very well could have had more racist origins than what little it does. And, what little racist connection it has stems pretty directly from UT's history of pretty serious connection to the deep south**, the Confederacy, slavery, and Jim Crow, which isn't all that different than many other schools. 

There was a time when I believed the State of Texas, including UT, was kind of "Deep South Lite," with less of the bad stuff.  I'm not quite sure where that belief came from other than the fact that the state does have some, but not all, things in common with the deeper south.  But the reality is that Texas has/had more in common with the deep south, including the vile negatives, than many of us want to admit.

**what I mean by this is that we had things like Prather, a university President that apparently overly admired Lee.  We had a student talent show that took the form of a minstrel show.  We had BMD that were pretty virulent pro-slavery Confederates.  And so on and so forth.  Not very different from the SEC schools we ridicule.  And the proximity of those things to the writing and adoption of EOT is what bring it under suspicion.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2023 at 11:35 PM, RoyalBevo21 said:

Or if you knew history, you would know that everybody was racist back then.  Lincoln wanted to send the freed slaves back to Africa.  Some were worse than others.  And without Littlefield and his union counterpart Brackenridge, we might be a Texas Tech caliber school today.  And Texas did a great job putting the Sweatt statue outside Painter Hall.  Painter was a world class scientist who brought credit to the school.  He had the misfortune of being president when UT was fighting integration.  He shouldn't be erased just for that.  But the Sweatt statue addresses the fight against integration.

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

Or if you knew history, you would know that everybody was racist back then.

This is true as far as it goes, minus perhaps the "everybody."  And it can be important context, in certain  . . . contexts.  In this particular context, perhaps racism was so ordinary and pervasive that just about anything from that time period can be loosely connected to something racist.

But, that "everyone was racist" in the mid-late 19th century, and well into the 21st now, is not an excuse for keeping something of truly racist origins or significance around.  If the Eyes had actual racist origins or significance, I'd have to be agin it.