Affordable Watches

GottaB

With just about everything Japanese/Western, particularly cars and watches, they frequently seem to goof up some bit of styling that makes it off.

The recent Orients, Seikos, and that Citizen, and a lot of the recent Japanese cars, seem to be avoiding that, to me anyway.

I've always kind of wanted an Eco Drive, but something about the styling of every one I have looked at has put me off a bit.

That one, though, is a winner winner chicken dinner.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:01 AM, Storm the Field said:

Been wanting a more casual option to wear when I dress down, which is frequently these days. Wife obliged for Xmas. 

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=1

I have that exact watch, and it was one of the first watches I bought when I started to become interested in watches a couple of years ago.  I really like the cream dial, and the blue and black dial versions of the same watch are handsome, too.  At 44mm, it's about as big a watch as I would wear.  I'm 6'2", so can wear a bigger watch, but for me, that's on the edge. 

I think Citizen makes solid watches; the Eco-Drive movement will probably last my lifetime.  I also have a Citizen Calendrier world timer with a blue dial that is fun to wear.  I wouldn't mind adding a Promaster Diver and a Night/Navi/Skyhawk to the collection.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Has anybody noticed how much the old Seiko SKX007 has gone up in price? 
Mine has died and I was looking at buying a new one.  They are running  around 400 right now.

You should be able to get a new movement put in it for ~100 bucks or less.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation in the Austin area to do this or do I send it off to Seiko?

It's something you could do yourself if you had a couple of tools.  Incredibly easy thing.  The one thing to "watch out for" would be pressure testing if you use it as any kind of diver.

Any decent watch repair place should be able to do it, but again you might want to ask about pressure testing.  And maybe buy a 7s26 movement ahead of time so you don't have to wait for them and get their markup.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Any recommendations for a nice looking minimalist watch? I only wear a watch on special occasions and I can't stand the ones with a bezel

Orient Bambino is an old-school mechanical watch for cheap.  They change it up some every year, I'm sure you can find something that suits.

One variant.

gn1rtb3t96xy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Any recommendations for a nice looking minimalist watch? I only wear a watch on special occasions and I can't stand the ones with a bezel

Since this is the affordable watches thread, how about looking at the Orient Bambino line? or Timex Marlin line?  Bauhaus-style markers that are simple and elegant, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mine has died and I was looking at buying a new one.  They are running  around 400 right now.

Yup. I lost one about a year ago and looked a month or two back for a replacement. I was very surprised at how much they were going for

Yup. I lost one about a year ago and looked a month or two back for a replacement. I was very surprised at how much they were going for

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I can't speak to that particular watch, but years ago, when Casio digitals were "new" and common, kids swam with them all the time.  Should probably survive the occasional stream dunk and general purpose fly fishing wetness.  Says 50m WR, which is consistent with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I bought one of those for my nephew as a birthday gift a year or so ago. He’s an outdoorsy kid for sure. Pretty sure he swims, fishes, hunts, plays paintball, and generally beats it to hell. But the watch is still ticking. Why not pull the trigger? I think that watch is under $20. A true value, digital classic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've posted comments on this brand before, but Spinnaker is a great value for the dollar IMO. Strong designs, well made, striking fit, and finish.  

Sometimes the bands/straps aren't paired as well, but they have several options to choose from that are good alternatives.  

This automatic, 42mm dive watch, has a nice heft, but doesn't wear too large.  A very nicely proportioned face, and indices layout.  The "sword" hands work well with the design. Feels beefy, and has a presence on your wrist.

FullSizeRender-264.jpg

FullSizeRender-263.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0

• 4 months later...

Picked us this guy last week. Citizen Promaster Titanium Dive.  Haven’t worn a watch in years and was looking for a sub $500 watch that would be an all around watch.   Citizen has discontinued this model and I was able to find it marked down to a decent price.  I need to take a link out to get a decent fit but otherwise I really like the watch.  

The blue faced stainless steel diver is also marked down at a lot of websites right now if you like that model.

3D907F19-767C-4F8A-816B-5F95E44AFA5B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, huge said:

I like Orbis Morgan cheap rubber straps.

You can buy a mess of them for what one Isofrane costs.

7 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:
On 11/12/2021 at 6:29 PM, Poolflood said:
https://www.obrismorgan.com/collections/port
Small outfit I bought from years ago.  Yes from Hong Kong.   Solid quality for price.
BRH03.thumb.jpg.9d1e761adfa45c21949175df4d6acbe0.jpg

That date window though.

I'm probably moving to a smartwatch next.  But am drawn to design.

Need some watch repairs in Houston. Recommendations would be appreciated. 

1) Need a link put added to my Swiss Army Texas National Championship watch. It also needs a deep clean.  How much will this run me?

2) I can’t set the time on my stainless steel Tag.  I can set the date. Also needs a deep clean. How much will this run me? 

3) Final question, what’s the going rate for a new and used stainless steel Rolex?

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Need some watch repairs in Houston. Recommendations would be appreciated. 

1) Need a link put added to my Swiss Army Texas National Championship watch. It also needs a deep clean.  How much will this run me?

2) I can’t set the time on my stainless steel Tag.  I can set the date. Also needs a deep clean. How much will this run me? 

3) Final question, what’s the going rate for a new and used stainless steel Rolex?

Google near you but had some work done at the Little Watch Shop on shepherd.   Very respectable establishment. 

Link - figure 10.  

Took my tag to different place.  Needed chronograph fixed.  700

Had vintage omega stopped working think just couple hundred (deep clean was free)

You're on the wrong thread and completely depends on model.  But a ss sub is probably 10k.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Poolflood said:

Google near you but had some work done at the Little Watch Shop on shepherd.   Very respectable establishment. 

Link - figure 10.  

Took my tag to different place.  Needed chronograph fixed.  700

Had vintage omega stopped working think just couple hundred (deep clean was free)

You're on the wrong thread and completely depends on model.  But a ss sub is probably 10k.

SS Sub is going for 11k to 15k with the black dial and bezel.  Kermit, hulk and others are going for 20k+ 

• 4 weeks later...
Got this one the other day...I'm somewhat on the fence with it.  Dial just seems a little small for me, but we'll give it a fair shake for a month or two.  Orion Hellcat in burgandy.
20211215_143821_resized_1.thumb.jpg.4473cb8cf098e9b625aad62269de14a1.jpg
I have one of these on the way. I've heard the finishing is pretty good for a relatively inexpensive microbrand. Probably too small for me but figured I'd give it a try.

He is the roll that came with the Winfield, and my other cheap watches. Timex, Seiko yobokies mod, Marathon. I also have a stock Seiko skx007 still in its packaging.  The only watch that has caught my eye lately is an auto diver from a small company called Canister Watches. The Fieldmaster. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ae45b8ad64522ba1b36b7199c32c33bf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.713e5cac6a061e11d6634d541c4dbac9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Picked this up for the son for Christmas. Spinnaker brand, I've been very impressed with the fit finish, and accuracy of this brand for the dollar. it reminds me of Sinn in that respect.

Miyota automatic movement, midnight blue rubber strap, black or smoked stainless steel 42mm case, floating indices above a midnight blue face, appear to be  part of the sapphire crystal. I like the 4:00 position crown, and heft of the watch. 

IMG_0466.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Received this auto for Christmas from someone that knew I was into watches but doesn’t know shit about watches. When I first saw it was a Fossil I was disappointed, but being an auto and hiking up its skirt just a bit, this is a pretty great looking watch. I dig it.

0734b54ae723fb04b1244e9da96b3b33.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...