The greatest Thanksgiving movie of all time

Sbbruin

I had never seen Planes, Tranes, and Automobiles before, maybe just some clips.  Based on this thread and your recommendations, I bought it on Apple TV last night for $10.  
I want my money back.  The movie was not funny.  I don't think there was a single joke.  Steve Martin being annoyed for an hour and a half does not make a good movie.  
I had high hopes based on Hughes other hilarious movies.

You have a hole in your soul. Nothing funny? You sound like Neal.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

On 11/23/2022 at 11:21 AM, Elvis said:

I had never seen Planes, Tranes, and Automobiles before, maybe just some clips.  Based on this thread and your recommendations, I bought it on Apple TV last night for $10.  

I want my money back.  The movie was not funny.  I don't think there was a single joke.  Steve Martin being annoyed for an hour and a half does not make a good movie.  

I had high hopes based on Hughes other hilarious movies.

You have horrible taste.

It’s not supposed to be a hilarious laugh-a-minute comedy. But the scene where they’re driving the wrong way between two semis and Steve Martin looks over to see John Candy in a devil suit just might be the funniest moment in cinematic history. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 9:32 PM, Damor said:

Just finished our yearly family screening.  I'm one of those people who's awful about watching my favorite movies over and over, but this one gets limited to a single annual showing.

And this is more for the homebrew thread, but tapped this at the opening scene:

PXL_20221124_014921276_2.thumb.jpg.2e0722242c2ebdc7008e97b4f303cbad.jpg

"To the wives."

What an idiot!  How would he know where we're going?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Has anyone watched all the deleted scenes?  Haven't been able to yet.  Sat down on Friday after feeding all the in-laws and family breakfast on Friday, sent them on their way, took my kids out to a couple of stores for BF.  Sat down, exhausted at 8pm... and ended up in the hospital with 4yo little BGS.  He's ok, but I just haven't had any time to sit down and enjoy.  Hoping there's some good stuff in there.  I've always wondered if there's a deleted pizza scene because of the line Steve Martin says when he finds his wallet empty "maybe, just maybe when you went in there for pizza last night you (cuts off)"

4 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Has anyone watched all the deleted scenes?  Haven't been able to yet.  Sat down on Friday after feeding all the in-laws and family breakfast on Friday, sent them on their way, took my kids out to a couple of stores for BF.  Sat down, exhausted at 8pm... and ended up in the hospital with 4yo little BGS.  He's ok, but I just haven't had any time to sit down and enjoy.  Hoping there's some good stuff in there.  I've always wondered if there's a deleted pizza scene because of the line Steve Martin says when he finds his wallet empty "maybe, just maybe when you went in there for pizza last night you (cuts off)"

Yes, there is more to the pizza and robbery scene.

• 11 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, BlueGreySky said:

are the deleted scenes available online

On 11/23/2022 at 9:32 PM, Damor said:

Just finished our yearly family screening.  I'm one of those people who's awful about watching my favorite movies over and over, but this one gets limited to a single annual showing.

And this is more for the homebrew thread, but tapped this at the opening scene:

PXL_20221124_014921276_2.thumb.jpg.2e0722242c2ebdc7008e97b4f303cbad.jpg

"To the wives."

Shameless self-quoting. 

My favorite holiday. This year with our older one home from college for the first time. Another year, another brew, another screening of PTA, and for just a little while, all is right with the world.

PXL_20231123_025539992.PORTRAIT2.thumb.jpg.1c545daa268a996729cf5de3b829aa4f.jpg

And again, "To the wives." 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

He says we’re going the wrong way. 

oh he’s drunk.  How would he know where we are going? 

The way Steve Martin says "thank you, thanks a lot" after this gets me every time.  Every time anyone in my family wants to say thank you sarcastically, we say it just like this.  Even my 10 year old does it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The way Steve Martin says "thank you, thanks a lot" after this gets me every time.  Every time anyone in my family wants to say thank you sarcastically, we say it just like this.  Even my 10 year old does it.  

Just watched the last 10 mins of the movie on cable.
Man…it’s a movie that just hits right.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/24/2023 at 5:58 AM, Bookman said:

Damn the world would be a better place if John Candy were still alive.

Belushi, Candy, Farley, and on a different level Robin Williams.

That's a lot of fucking laughs, booze, drugs, and tears.