Malik Jefferson

Machinator

His athleticism was off the charts....but he could not get off a blocker to save his life. He said he wanted to play with savages, but he never played like a savage himself. Maybe something will click and he does well with the Colts. I hope so. He was a good guy.....best of luck!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/14/2021 at 12:23 PM, runthebone said:

He wasn't a bust at Texas, but he didn't dominate like I thought he would.  He failed in the NFL, but lots of third round picks do.

This. I don't consider 3rd round picks as busts. 1st and 2nd, sure. 3rd and beyond? Nah. Like you said, a shit ton of 3-7 rd drafted players don't make it. 

That said, one more year at Texas wasn't going to improve his draft. He was just overrated and he was drafted in the 3rd because they thought they saw potential. 

On 3/13/2021 at 3:24 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

He made the NFL... hes not a bust

That being said, he was a fool to leave early

So true. If he had just come back for one more year of development under Todd Orlando, I’m sure he would’ve become a much better football player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, cam4mav said:

had no idea he was with the colts. I swear I saw him looking straight down the camera in the background during a sideline shot, not in uniform. "Wow that guy looks just like Malik!" /*that'sRacist/

That was a trainer #yesracist

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

A lot of good potential that was wasted by Charlie Strong and the dipshit crew. Wish Malik the best.

Agreed, but MJ probably wasn't one of those guys wasted. Other CS guys have found a way to stick in the league. If he had all that useful talent, then he would have as well. Solid guy, but it's on him at this point.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Malik had a solid year his junior season along with Gary Johnson.  That defense was actually pretty good.  Did he get drafted in the 3rd or 5th?  I won’t say he was a waste of talent but I don’t think he lived up to his 5 star hype whether it was injuries or scheme.  Either way, I’d kill for a LB with his talent on this team.

He made a mistake leaving early. He started playing well as a soph but ended the season getting hurt. Then played well as a junior, but that was probably because he was surrounded by experienced guys. If memory serves, he missed the bowl game too.

He’s really a complementary player who can occasionally look like a star because he can get there in a hurry. Cooter Brown is right.

14 hours ago, Had Enough said:

He made a mistake leaving early. He started playing well as a soph but ended the season getting hurt. Then played well as a junior, but that was probably because he was surrounded by experienced guys. If memory serves, he missed the bowl game too.

He’s really a complementary player who can occasionally look like a star because he can get there in a hurry. Cooter Brown is right.

Didn’t just miss the bowl game, he skipped it based on terrible advice that he had already shown enough

• Like 2

18 hours ago, victory88 said:

Malik had a solid year his junior season along with Gary Johnson.  That defense was actually pretty good.  Did he get drafted in the 3rd or 5th?  I won’t say he was a waste of talent but I don’t think he lived up to his 5 star hype whether it was injuries or scheme.  Either way, I’d kill for a LB with his talent on this team.

He had a terrible career for the hype and was a massive bust here. Lol at wanting another Malik here. Hard pass. 

29 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How is being named All-American and defensive player of the year a MASSIVE bust?

Relative to the hype. Pretty key phrase. And yes, he wasn’t that great. He was freshman AA per Sporting News. He wasn’t instinctive at all and that he was Co-DPOY for the conference says everything about the offensive nature of the conference. Do you know how hard it is for the 78th overall player drafted to be cut after one season and 10 games played?  And to be cut by every team, quickly, that picked him up?  He’s a bust. An average college player and an overall bust for the massive 5-star hype that surrounded him. Ewers and Arch are much bigger pickups. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

5th NFL team in 5 seasons. Has the athleticism to keep getting gigs but not enough talent to stick.

He was definitely overrates AF coming out of Poteet.

He might’ve been overrated. But if you straight up suck you’re not sniffing NFL rosters for anything close to 5 years. 

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

5 seasons in the NFL and he's "overrated AF".

Gotcha.

No, he was talking out of high school.  All he did was

Freshman All-American (2015)
Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year (2015)
Second-team All-American (2017)
Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Year (2017)
First-team All-Big 12 (2017)

Need more suckage like that right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

No, he was talking out of high school.

I understand that.  My point is that sticking in the league for 5 years pretty much validates any lofty expectations out of high school.  At least in my mind it does.

Like you say, we need more of that kind of suck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...