horse racing thread

BigOrange1

13 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

at about :27 of this clip when Epicenter makes his move at the top of the stretch, Rich Strike is about 7-8 lengths back and there is a wall of horses in front if him.   just fucking nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I don't care if Rich Strike was pumped up on a combination of anabolic steroids, meth, and cocaine. That was amazing.

Rich Strike went on to hit 4 home runs after the race.

71213329.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

at about :27 of this clip when Epicenter makes his move at the top of the stretch, Rich Strike is about 7-8 lengths back and there is a wall of horses in front if him.   just fucking nuts.

Favorite part besides the moves that jockey makes is Rich Strike staring down  Epicenter with a glare like, “what’s up my bitch?” Like “y’all forget I was in this mother fucker?” Awesome! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

People under 50 are banned from youtube?

Huh?  People seeing/experiencing something as it happens is usually >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than seeing it from 50 years ago, even if kinda cool now if seeing for the first time.  

Edited by phdhorn

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Huh?  People seeing/experiencing something as it happens is usually >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than seeing it from 50 years ago, even if kinda cool now if seeing for the first time.  

What about from 83 years ago? Asking for aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kentucky Derby long shot winner Rich Strike will not run in the Preakness Stakes May 21.

Owner Rick Dawson said in a statement: "Our original plan for Rich Strike was contingent on the KY Derby, should we not run in the Derby we would point toward the Preakness, should we run in the Derby, subject to the race outcome & the condition of our horse, we would give him more recovery time & rest and run in the Belmont, or another race and stay on course to run with 5 or 6 weeks rest between races."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

was looking for a derby thread.  wasnt sure if it would be here or gambling.  who you got?  my longshot bet is on disarm.  my pick to win right now would be between tapit twice and kingsborn.  ive always liked desormeaux so would love to see confidence game win, and his brother was the jockey on curlin (who is the sire of skinner), so skinner i'm also pulling for.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2023 at 5:10 PM, Mullet Free said:

To me, Practical Move looks like a good value at 10-1. Won last 3. Top 3 in last 6 starts, so will be in my trifecta picks. 

He gone. 

Practical Move won't run in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday because of an elevated temperature.

The scratch was announced by Churchill Downs on Thursday. The colt trained by Tim Yakteen was the early co-fourth choice at 10-1 odds.

That moves Cyclone Mischief into the 20-horse field. The colt finished third in the Florida Derby and was second in the Fountain of Youth. He has two wins in seven career starts for trainer Dale Romans.

Practical Move, the Santa Anita Derby winner, galloped on Thursday morning and practiced standing in the starting gate. Earlier in the day, Yakteen said things were going well.

He did not immediately respond to a text message from The Associated Press.

The Southern California-based trainer still has Reincarnate in the Derby. He took over that colt's training from Bob Baffert, who is serving a two-year ban by Churchill Downs Inc. for a failed postrace doping test by Medina Spirit, the 2021 winner who was later disqualified. 

On 5/2/2023 at 2:55 PM, thrillhammer said:

was looking for a derby thread.  wasnt sure if it would be here or gambling.  who you got?  my longshot bet is on disarm.  my pick to win right now would be between tapit twice and kingsborn.  ive always liked desormeaux so would love to see confidence game win, and his brother was the jockey on curlin (who is the sire of skinner), so skinner i'm also pulling for.

I’m here for the race. Touring a farm. The guide says she’s heard this week that Disarm is looking really good. She Also heard today that Forte stumbled in training. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Mullet Free said:

I’m here for the race. Touring a farm. The guide says she’s heard this week that Disarm is looking really good. She Also heard today that Forte stumbled in training. 

skinner scratched so i'm down to confidence game and disarm.  verifying and mage are also attractive as longshots.

20 hours ago, Mullet Free said:

Forte scratched due to injury. The vet said he couldn’t go over objections of the owner. This lady’s intel is strong. Disarm will be in my bets today. 

21 hours ago, Mullet Free said:

Jesus man, go talk to her again. I liked Practical Move and now Mandarin, but lots of scratches

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Just picking names (minus any expertise) Sun Thunder, Mandarin Hero and Cyclone Mischief.

No trifecta order suggestion, Nicole? heh

I'm certain the lovely and talented Charlsie Cantey (remember her in the 80s?) based her bets on all the analytics, VHS videos (no broadband Net, no WWW, no smartphones, no laptops), racing forms, magazines, and in-person stories she ran down herself, which was impressive since it was so analog compared to now. That woman got men to watch horses. Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I like these fat trainers that are out of breath walking and being interviewed. 

You know her blood pressure was probably 198 over 109 walking. Dayum.

I can’t watch the actual event live. Haven’t been able to in a long time since what happened to Barbaro in 2006. I just can’t watch live. It certainly is a much different event without the Baffert specter hanging on the triple crown. 

Verifying is a beautiful horse. My uncle said never bet on a grey horse to win. But that horse is just gorgeous. Shit they all are. But that one is particularly striking. As is Derma 

I think there are four grey horsies. That seems like a lot. King Russell is probably best of the long shots. Mage is supposed to be super fucking fast but inexperienced jockey. Confidence Game supposed to be good on edurance. Derma Sotogake it’s important not to go too fast too early in race for him. Cyclone Mischief has new jockey as of today after Forte was scratched. Just hoping for clean race and no injuries. 7 dead horses at Churchill this week (includes the one today.) 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

On 5/5/2023 at 11:33 AM, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I have win bets on Derma Sotogake (17), Angel of Empire (14), and Mandarin Hero (22).  If I win any on the Oaks today I’ll probably add Tapit Trice (5) and Mage (8) as well as putting some more on Derma.  

Really wish I had hit the oaks…

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only 8 horses. 

Kentucky Derby winner Mage is facing a fresh set of horses in the Preakness in a situation not seen in more than half a century, and he's the early favorite to beat them.

Mage was installed as the 8-5 morning line favorite at the post position draw Monday. He's the only horse in the field of eight set to take part in the second race of the Triple Crown two weeks after running in the Derby.

It's the first Preakness since 1969 with just one Derby horse. Majestic Prince won each of those races 54 years ago, a feat Mage will try to duplicate.

https://www.espn.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/37657215/kentucky-derby-winner-mage-opens-preakness-favorite