Pollen: Texas ongoing thread

miguelito

• 3 weeks later...

In San Antonio, yesterday was 12,960.  Today is 7,090.  Both are pretty high numbers. 

In the last 7 years, the highest single day was 32,920 in 2018. 

So no, this isn't the worst ever.  And it's going to get much worse.  I imagine the next 40 days or so will be like this, but with nyquil/dayquil/whiskey:

freyguy

On 1/6/2023 at 8:08 PM, Not that Bob said:

I can keep my nose under control with Kirkland Aller-Flo, but my eyes are killing me. What's a good drop to stop the itching?

Similar to above probably, but these save my ass - they sting when I put the drops in, but quickly clear up.  They've made a difference last year and this year.  The wee people who live behind my eyeballs, their sandpaper doesn't work so well.

https://www.visine.com/eye-drops/antihistamine-eye-allergy

visine-allergy-uoad.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Pataday Extra Strength is probably the best OTC allergy drop available. You can get a 2 pack on Amazon for $25, or I think Target has the 2 pack for $31.

Zaditor is a good drop as well. It was considered the best OTC allergy drop prior to Pataday becoming OTC about 3 years ago. It's cheaper which is nice, but the effect doesn't last as long. You may have to use it 2-3 times daily. For some people that may be preferrable. YMMV.

I do not recommend any Visine or Clear Eyes products. They contain redness reliever medications that may help with redness in the short term, but if you use them longer than 3-4 days, there is a risk of rebound redness when you try to stop the eye drop. They also become less effective with prolonged use, so then you need the drop more frequently and you get hooked on it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

'Only' 7,190 today in SA, but I expect that to climb with these winds for the next day or 2. 

We're still way below average for the season, and we're about where the numbers start to decline.  There will be peaks as cold fronts come through, but we should be on the downhill side of the bell curve.  I think our curve this year will be offset a little, meaning, we're not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot.

• 2 months later...

It's been quiet lately.  Too quiet. 

Oak's numbers are rising, and we're entering the normal peak period for oak.  You've probably seen the tassels on your car and in the streets already.  The next 3 weeks will be bad, so ramp up your drug use if you haven't already.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, miguelito said:

Mountain Cedar just hit the scene in San Antonio.  In the last 8 years, November 21 is the earliest first recording, BY A FULL WEEK.  So it's early, and IT'S HIGH, 710.  Most years we don't get a reading in the 100's until the 2nd week of December.

Shit.

Maybe it will all just find its way to San Antonio this year. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've seen enough.  Cedar season is over.  In 2020-2021 we had cedar counts until March 4, but that was very late, and unusual.  We've been at 0 or low double digits since Feb 5.

(Using San Antonio numbers):  The last 8 years have alternated with higher and lower counts, meaning there were not 2 years in a row of increasing or decreasing counts.  It's been up/down/up/down/up/down/up/.  Last year was pretty low, so naturally we popped back up to within 5% of the running average. 

So now OAK.  The earliest counts in the last 8 years were on Feb 20, but it usually ramps up the first week of March. 

The last 2 years were low; who knows what that means for this year, maybe nothing.  But enjoy the next week or 2 of nothing but mold, ash (trees), mulberry, and other shit to bother you. 

I saw a red bud blooming yesterday.

16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Been miserable since last week. Ears are clogged so bad. Fuck this mess.

Sneezing in my sleep woke me up around 5:45 this morning. Been miserable ever since with swollen, itchy eyes, more sneezing fits, and even feeling kind of wheezy.

Do not want.

Edit: It feels like there's a phantom dusty bunny tickling my nostrils, too. Fuck that guy.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, speak of the devil... Oak has shown up in the counts.  It's a little early, but counts are still low.

But what's been bothering everyone are the other things blooming in this early spring: ash, elm, mulberry, hackberry.  Plus molds are always around. 

This past week's pollen was rough.  Went outside and immediately starting sneezing and hacking.  

This. My husband thinks he had the flu/covid to spite all evidence to the contrary.

You have allergies you whiny mutherfucker. Suck it up and go get a prescription.
  • Haha 1