National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

UpperWestside

• 11 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 9:39 AM, C-Man said:

JLD circa 2019 is still hot-as-balls.

She’s getting the old lady Crow’s feet at edges of her mouth, but... who the f*** cares?! She keeps it tight and her family is worth billions and billions of dollars.

We would all be so lucky to clean her pool. 

Straight hair Elaine is smoke. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The yuppies next door is the best part of Vacation. JLD was the perfect choice as Margo. 

Bite the bullet and buy the movie on Prime/Apple. Freeform cuts a lot of the cursing and runs 30 minutes of ads every hour. 

That's what we did. Fire it up anytime we want. Worth the $9 or whatever it was. 

On 12/7/2019 at 8:50 AM, Kennythetiger said:

My favorite scene in the movie is unspoken. 
Clark and Eddie are grocery shopping, it’s implied that Clark’s probably picking up the tab. Eddie puts a couple bags of dog food in the cart, a few feet down the aisle Clark puts a box of light bulbs on top of the dog food. Another few feet and Eddie throws another bag of dog food on top, completely smashing the light bulbs. Clark doesn’t say a word. 

The funniest part of that scene is the heat Eddie is packing throughout the store.  Once it’s seen, it can never be unseen.  

It makes the line by the boss’s wife late in the movie even funnier.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

The funniest part of that scene is the heat Eddie is packing throughout the store.  Once it’s seen, it can never be unseen.  

And the fake turtleneck he's wearing. The entire scene walking through the store has about a dozen levels of hilarity.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 8:07 AM, Chet Steadman said:

It’s impossible to unsee.  Even if you can’t make it out under his pants, he starts the scene by man-handling his own junk for the better part of the entirety of Aisle 5.  

an old friend from college used to host an ugly sweater holiday party   Nothing terribly original but it was fun for the better part of a decade.  I wore an old dickey from a junior high jazz band uniform my mom saved under a $15 white sweater from Beall’s.  Was always a hit with those that appreciated it.  Even had faux leather white shoes to go with it.  He married much younger than us and one year his then fiancé’s friends were completely unaware of Christmas vacation, cousin Eddie, all of it.  We decided then we were too old for ugly Christmas sweater parties with kids.  I still have the dickey though, all stretched out and soaked in whiskey and tears.  

“rusty, I’ve got a quarter for you If you rub this bunion on my foot.”

• 4 weeks later...

I watched it this year on Christmas and this time around I went and bought the Griswold hockey jersey. I bought three of the sweaters last year with the quotes, a Jelly of the Month Club shirt and a You Serious Clark? longsleeve shirt. Wearing the sweater with a picture of Cousin Eddie that says "Merry Christmas Shitter's Full" gets some funny looks from folks who probably aren't quite sure what to make of it most likely because they have never seen the movie. This movie just never gets old and seeing the movie is one of my favorite holiday traditions every year.

Some channel was running a marathon last night and I watched them in the background at work. European is an abomination, Vegas holds up, the OG is still good, but getting dated. Christmas, well Christmas is the standard bearer. It's not dated and still kills a cat in a way that makes you laugh (and I like cats). Shitter's full.

• 11 months later...

My mom is up here visiting me and there is one theatre that was showing this movie and tonight is the only night they show it. We didn’t have money to watch movies in the theatre as a kid so this was her first time to get to see it on the big screen. I saw it two years ago on the 30th anniversary showing in Times Square, but this was so cool to get to watch this with her. She had a great time! I put on one of the sweaters with his quote about the nuthouse. So many good memories of watching this movie every year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

On 11/28/2020 at 8:59 AM, futureman said:

??? I’ve never noticed anything 

Mrs. Llama (ever observant) zeroed in on it first time we saw the film - when it first released!  Maybe that's why.  Little Eddie was about four feet long on the big theater screen.

Underrated scenes in film history: When Clark cries in the attic watching home movies, Mrs. L's eyes always get something in them.

^

That the Ray Charles version of "Spirit of Christmas" isn't on more holiday playlists is a fucking crime.  Fucking white people, y'all play the same sappy/corny shit year after year but that song is just beautiful and bluesy (even with the strings bridge).  Watching Clark watch those old B&W reels, gets me choked up as well.  They may as well be old movies of my father's side of the family at the holidays, may as well be a documentary.  

I realize this is a different montage, but watch it...think of your grandfather, your father, and your attempts to make this time of year special for your little ones.  If you don't get a bit choked up, you're not trying hard enough:

• 2 weeks later...