2020 Little League Thread of Dominance

pepper brooks

20 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Is it tball, machine pitch, coach pitch? You'll need 2-3 coaches to help. Have stations to where kids can stay busy and have 1 on 1 coaching

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Modified.. 3 coach pitches, if they miss all 3, then they hit off the tee.. We already run stations.. I try to eliminate idle time as much as I can... problem is we do the same drills all season and would like to get some new ones that are effective..

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

yeah.  at 9/10 firs tyear of kid pitch it will be mostly about 38-45.  you will get some kids who crank it up to low 50's.  my son threw mid 50's at that age.  it was pretty unfair for most of the kids who had to face him.  

Occasionally you get 11 year olds that were not drafted by a Majors team. The thing I never cared for was the 11 year old pitcher that could throw heat but had terrible accuracy. It usually terrified the new 9 year olds. One time I lost a 9 year old on my team who was nailed by an older pitcher with no control. The kid was pretty nervous about batting as it was but then after getting hit the way he did, he just bailed in the middle of the game. Never played again.

32 minutes ago, F250 said:

Occasionally you get 11 year olds that were not drafted by a Majors team. The thing I never cared for was the 11 year old pitcher that could throw heat but had terrible accuracy. It usually terrified the new 9 year olds. One time I lost a 9 year old on my team who was nailed by an older pitcher with no control. The kid was pretty nervous about batting as it was but then after getting hit the way he did, he just bailed in the middle of the game. Never played again.

Nice thing is that cannot happen (maybe in fall ball) in the spring @ WHLL (or at least I have never seen it happen) for the reason you describe. Risk of injury too high.

We have our 1st tourney tomorrow for a new team, as it is so early in the season it is a mix of 10u and 11u teams (son playing is on a 10u team) so the team will probably get shellacked. Will be good experience and ultimately help him for LL this season as well. 1st game is super early though which really sucks.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

sounds like addition by subtraction to me 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the upcoming rant.  The guy who was the President of my local little league really fucked it up.  Four years ago the league had $13k saved up for expenses.  Now there isn't a penny.  None of that went to the league or fields.  The fucker spent it all on his kid's travel team.  Now he is gone. 

The fields are shitty.  The concession stand that hasn't been used in 3 years is shitty.  The bathrooms are shitty.  There is no useable equipment for the teams.  There is no dirt on the fields.  They are all grass and weeds, lots and lots of weeds.

A couple of other guys and I have stripped the infield down to dirt and added what little topsoil we had available.  The bathrooms, concession stand, dugouts and press box/equipment room building have all been pressure washed and cleaned.  I have sprayed all fields for weeds twice but with no success.  Still fields that are 100% weeds.  

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, txhorns said:

Sorry for the upcoming rant.  The guy who was the President of my local little league really fucked it up.  Four years ago the league had $13k saved up for expenses.  Now there isn't a penny.  None of that went to the league or fields.  The fucker spent it all on his kid's travel team.  Now he is gone. 

The fields are shitty.  The concession stand that hasn't been used in 3 years is shitty.  The bathrooms are shitty.  There is no useable equipment for the teams.  There is no dirt on the fields.  They are all grass and weeds, lots and lots of weeds.

A couple of other guys and I have stripped the infield down to dirt and added what little topsoil we had available.  The bathrooms, concession stand, dugouts and press box/equipment room building have all been pressure washed and cleaned.  I have sprayed all fields for weeds twice but with no success.  Still fields that are 100% weeds.  

wow.  that guy needs an ass kicking, and the league should go after him for reimbursement.  ridiculous.  

20 hours ago, txhorns said:

That's terrible. You should contact the local DA's office. Stealing/embezzling from charitable organizations like a Little League is good PR for elected officials like that. They might take the case even if it's only $13,000 because politics.

My son's first (and probably only) season in actual Little League is now underway. This league is run much better than the other area options so being a little farther away is no issue at all. His team isn't the worst I've seen, either, although after two practices I'm now basically organizing activities and doing more coaching than the head guy and the two assistants he planned to use. Don't get me wrong, great guys and have the right attitude about working with and teaching kids. But not really baseball guys.

Only issue is their league registration numbers have increased 60% total in the last two seasons so there aren't enough fields for all the teams. Official practices are only an hour long so everyone can get their 3 events in during the week.

Edited by Huckleberry

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

mini pepper got his first start on the mound last night.  our league before spring break limits to 45 pitches, finish the batter.  Stat line was P-48, S - 37, W - 0. H - 0. K-9  pretty damn solid.  

Super !   My fav stat is the W - 0.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:32 AM, pepper brooks said:

pepper jr became the first in the league this year to hit a bomb.  crazy to see how har you have to hit it in 50 degree weather, slow pitching, and USA bats.  It was definitely a "no doubter".  

My son hit his first (ever) in practice this weekend, he was pretty stoked. I'd been telling him he could do it but after practice he told me "I knew I could do it but now I know I can do it." Games start in a couple of weeks for us, I told him if he was excited about the practice bomb imagine what it feels like when you do it in a game.

So he's pretty excited about games starting now. I'm going to have to calm him down and remind him about the relaxing part. Ha.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

My son hit his first (ever) in practice this weekend, he was pretty stoked. I'd been telling him he could do it but after practice he told me "I knew I could do it but now I know I can do it." Games start in a couple of weeks for us, I told him if he was excited about the practice bomb imagine what it feels like when you do it in a game.

So he's pretty excited about games starting now. I'm going to have to calm him down and remind him about the relaxing part. Ha.

tell him to focus on the process not the result.  Process leads to results.  Get the process right and the home runs come a bit more regularly.  

Yep, at his age and level of ability the best way to hit home runs is to focus on hitting hard line drives, centering the ball on the barrel. Trying for a specific launch angle is well outside his current skill set. He's also probably going to end up hitting at the top of the lineup rather than the middle because he's far and away the fastest kid on the team and is probably 2nd in contact rate, so consistent solid contact is the focus. Home runs will come.

As for fielding and throwing? Yeesh, I will just claim he gets that from his mother. Good thing he's tall so first base is an option. He can actually throw the ball pretty damn hard when it all comes together but his consistency is horrific. I've also noticed his fastest and straightest throws are when he gets mad at me and is trying to throw it through me. So at least we've got something to work with there. 😀

Edited by Huckleberry

first scrimmage tonight - pretty stoked for it, been working with my core group since early november so we have a pretty good head start on other teams, hopefully they carry over what we've been working on and the new kids help supplement them here and there.  

On 2/25/2020 at 7:41 PM, txhorns said:

Where is this? Which LL?

We had our 1st team practice yesterday....and I wasn't there because I was traveling back from my father-in-law's burial in CO. My assistant said we looked OK.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:38 AM, pepper brooks said:

tell him to focus on the process not the result.  Process leads to results.  Get the process right and the home runs come a bit more regularly.  

Good advice. I always told my kids that the home runs just happen so don't try to swing for the fence. It's pretty common to see a kid ruin his swing after crushing a ball over the fence as they make the mistake to try and force it to happen again.

• Like 1

My 15 year old came home in an arm cast yesterday. It seems he chipped a bone in his hand a few weeks ago but waited until the other day to mention it. He made the J.V. baseball team but is unfortunately going to miss a majority if not all of the season.

• Fuck You 1

Older boy had his Spring PONY league debut last night. Played well.

Roped a line drive, was walked twice, scored a run and played good in the field.

Pitched 1 1/3 innings with one walk, 3 strike outs and a easy ground ball hit to 2B for an out. Struck one kid out on three pitches.

Have 10U tournament in Georgetown tomorrow finally don't have a 7am start and what looks to be better baseball weather than past couple of tournaments.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, F250 said:

My 15 year old came home in an arm cast yesterday. It seems he chipped a bone in his hand a few weeks ago but waited until the other day to mention it. He made the J.V. baseball team but is unfortunately going to miss a majority if not all of the season.

I feel your pain - my son broke a metacarpal in his pitching hand the first week of fall workouts.  He just got the cast off this week.  Can start throwing in two weeks.  Trying to salvage his last season of colege baseball.  

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Have 10U tournament in Georgetown tomorrow finally don't have a 7am start and what looks to be better baseball weather than past couple of tournaments.

I assume the pre-game warmups start at 7 AM and not the game because that would be crazy early for a game time.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, F250 said:

Good advice. I always told my kids that the home runs just happen so don't try to swing for the fence. It's pretty common to see a kid ruin his swing after crushing a ball over the fence as they make the mistake to try and force it to happen again.

Yeah, despite my advice this happened for most of the past week. Oh well, hopefully the lesson sunk in at the end of last night's practice. I took him to the side, went back to swing basics and fundamentals for 5 minutes, then let him go back to the plate. Bingo bango bongo simple looping line drive down the right field line (he's a lefty) and a smooth easy standup triple that didn't even require an error. In a game with a bad little league right fielder he scores.

He's like me in that he grew fast at a young age and will stop before his peers do. But right now his biggest issue on the bases is that 60 feet isn't enough. He's had to modify his stride to make his steps shorter and choppier. It's kind of funny watching him run around the bases right now. If he decides to keep playing then next year will be fun on the bases for him. He'll be one of the minority of 13 year olds for whom the 90 foot distance is a lifesaver.

The good news is there is one bright spot to the 60 feet for this year. Twice already in preseason practices he's beaten out routine grounders to the second baseman. Not bobbled, no bad throw, just beat it out. I saw Ryan Nuñez do that twice in the one season I played on his team, the look on the second baseman's face is always fun.

Edited by Huckleberry

3 hours ago, MAROON said:

I feel your pain - my son broke a metacarpal in his pitching hand the first week of fall workouts.  He just got the cast off this week.  Can start throwing in two weeks.  Trying to salvage his last season of colege baseball.  

Yeah, it sucks. I lost out on a baseball season my sophomore year in high school due to a wrist injury that occurred during the football season. Played most of the football season with a sprained wrist and then couldn't swing a bat without massive pain by the time baseball tryouts rolled around.

It sounds overly dramatic but those last couple of years of baseball really are precious. It really is a privilege to play baseball when you are no longer a child. For most Little League kids the game ends at 12 and then as the talent funnel narrows for those fortunate enough to continue to play it becomes a season by season opportunity.

I think that line from Moneyball really nails the inevitable end to playing a game you love.

We're all told at some point in time that we can no longer play the children's game, we just don't...we don't know when that's gonna be. Some of us are told at eighteen, some of us are told at forty, but we're all told

• Like 1

Love that part of Moneyball and I use a similar statement with kids on my kid's team almost every season. I wasn't a great player or anything, but coaching my son's teams has shown me how much those of us who played baseball well overestimate the average person's baseball ability. Like I said above, the other coaches are not really baseball guys. I assume the best player on the team got his ability from his mom because I've seen his dad throw and try to hit at practice and it's not from that guy. I've gotten this basic question the last 3 seasons in a row.

"Coach, why did you stop playing baseball?"

"Same reason everybody stops playing baseball; I wasn't good enough anymore. Play baseball as long as you can, boys."

my son has taken over first base coaching duties this year with the broken hand.  It has kept him involved and part of the team.  He loves the team and I'm thrilled he decided to play D3.  A lot of his former high school teammates who went D1 have stopped playing, but he's still chugging along and loving it. He lives with five other players and is super close with most of the team (a lot in the same fraternity as well).  Couldn't really have asked for a better situation for him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, despite my advice this happened for most of the past week. Oh well, hopefully the lesson sunk in at the end of last night's practice. I took him to the side, went back to swing basics and fundamentals for 5 minutes, then let him go back to the plate. Bingo bango bongo simple looping line drive down the right field line (he's a lefty) and a smooth easy standup triple that didn't even require an error. In a game with a bad little league right fielder he scores.

He's like me in that he grew fast at a young age and will stop before his peers do. But right now his biggest issue on the bases is that 60 feet isn't enough. He's had to modify his stride to make his steps shorter and choppier. It's kind of funny watching him run around the bases right now. If he decides to keep playing then next year will be fun on the bases for him. He'll be one of the minority of 13 year olds for whom the 90 foot distance is a lifesaver.

The good news is there is one bright spot to the 60 feet for this year. Twice already in preseason practices he's beaten out routine grounders to the second baseman. Not bobbled, no bad throw, just beat it out. I saw Ryan Nuñez do that twice in the one season I played on his team, the look on the second baseman's face is always fun.

I never cared for the 46/60 fields in Little League for the majors division. It turns the game into a track meet. Even the 50/70 fields start looking tiny once the 12 year olds start growing into 13 year olds. But the 46/60 just looks silly by the time Little League teams show up at Williamsport.

My youngest son has a late birthday and was brought in for a 12U USSSA state tournament in the Summer after primarily playing 13U/14U all season. They had him at shortstop and after the first game he started griping about how different the game is played with 70 ft bases. He said, every time he went to check a runner after fielding a ball the guy was already at the next base. LOL

Yeah it's absurd for the top players but it's necessary for the weaker players. The weakest four or so hitters on our team can barely get it out of the infield as it is. One of our kids is tiny and I think is probably physically incapable of hitting the ball to the outfielders even if we perfected his swing and he flushed a fastball on center barrel at a 25° launch angle. Little League is actually about serving the weaker players so it makes sense from that perspective. Can't really change mound and base distances during a season but all the regional and Williamsport outfield fences are 225 versus the standard 205 for local leagues. They should probably be even longer.

70 foot open bases aren't any better for the situation you're talking about versus 60 foot closed bases. With 70 foot open the kids are closer than 60 feet to the next base before the ball is hit into play. I've spent a lot of time with our better players who have clearly played on larger fields before because they play way too deep on the infield. Keep telling them you don't have that much time with 60 foot bases. Hell, I've had to tell my own kid numerous times that he's playing too far away from first base because he's used to longer bases, too. He doesn't have enough time to run to first, find the bag, and look for the throw if a fast runner hits a ground ball.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah it's absurd for the top players but it's necessary for the weaker players. The weakest four or so hitters on our team can barely get it out of the infield as it is. One of our kids is tiny and I think is probably physically incapable of hitting the ball to the outfielders even if we perfected his swing and he flushed a fastball on center barrel at a 25° launch angle. Little League is actually about serving the weaker players so it makes sense from that perspective. Can't really change mound and base distances during a season but all the regional and Williamsport outfield fences are 225 versus the standard 205 for local leagues. They should probably be even longer.

70 foot open bases aren't any better for the situation you're talking about versus 60 foot closed bases. With 70 foot open the kids are closer than 60 feet to the next base before the ball is hit into play. I've spent a lot of time with our better players who have clearly played on larger fields before because they play way too deep on the infield. Keep telling them you don't have that much time with 60 foot bases. Hell, I've had to tell my own kid numerous times that he's playing too far away from first base because he's used to longer bases, too. He doesn't have enough time to run to first, find the bag, and look for the throw if a fast runner hits a ground ball.

I am in agreement that Little League does and should serve weaker players but I think the weaker players in the Majors division would be better served on a 50/70 field. Moving the mound back to 50 ft would make a big difference for batters. Plus as you mentioned, infielders could play deeper giving them a little more time to react to balls coming in their direction.

I suspect the biggest resistance to expanding the diamond is the cost it would take to expand. When our league added the Intermediate division it was a major chore to add additional 50/70 fields. My guess is a number of local leagues may not even have the space or funding to expand which might explain the small participation at the Intermediate division across Little League.

Yep, it's a cost thing. The league we're playing in doesn't even play Intermediate Division, it's straight from Majors to Junior League, hence my comment about 90 foot bases if he plays next year.

There's no room to remodel the Majors field to allow any greater than the 205 outfield fences, and if you use the Junior League field then the Intermediate base lines are in the infield grass. Just not really feasible.. There's an open field across the street but that's a huge capital fundraising situation obviously.

I do disagree a bit on the theory, though. The smaller kids, not just weaker, are stretching it to run 240 feet around the 60 foot bases. The biggest problem is the difference in sizes with kids that age. There's just no good field size that will work for everyone. You've got 5'8" kids playing with 4'8" kids.

Edited by Huckleberry

23 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The biggest problem is the difference in sizes with kids that age. There's just no good field size that will work for everyone. You've got 5'8" kids playing with 4'8" kids.

This reminds me of the absurdity of 7th grade football where you see the 6' 220 pound running back being gang tackled by a group of 5'3" kids.

Won two games in 10u tournament yesterday to earn 1st seed and finally a start at a reasonable hour. 

The boys played great and beat a team that they’d lost to in prior tournament. 

Hopefully they can win 1st game today and continue momentum. 

On 3/8/2020 at 12:01 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Won two games in 10u tournament yesterday to earn 1st seed and finally a start at a reasonable hour. 

The boys played great and beat a team that they’d lost to in prior tournament. 

Hopefully they can win 1st game today and continue momentum. 

My son's squad went 3-2 in a tournament this weekend....in scenic LaPorte, TX! 

So I think I’m pulling my kid from practice indefinitely. Too early is better than too late.
It’s a small indoor facility that literally never gets cleaned.  I’ll reevaluate when things calm down, or when they move outside. 
coach is the high school principal, he should be more conservative than he is being. 

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep. Getting increasingly worried my son's 12-year-old Little League season is going to get canceled or effectively ruined. Sucks but if it's the right thing to do then it's the right thing to do. 

colleges dropping like flies.  My son's team is a playing a non-conference game right now but four of their conference teams have now cancelled the season.  I fear today is probably the last game of his career unless his coach can find some other teams to play.  He's coming off a broken hand and hasn't pitched yet this year (cast off 10 days ago and I'm not even certain he's really cleared to pitch) but he told that coach the he is throwing at least one pitch in this game as its probably they last he will ever play. Hell I teared up just typing that :(

Edited by MAROON

I asked on the Texas baseball thread about an extra year of eligibility and one time expanded rosters for spring sport athletes next year. It's a question that deserves to be asked, especially considering that the schools themselves are being affected, classes being moved online or canceled, etc.

it should happen, but it becomes a numbers thing in D1.  The problem is that D3 guys (and Ivy) pay their own way.  I'm not paying another $110k so he can play another year of baseball....especially when he has a job offer in his back pocket.

our league has suspended all activity until at least second week of April.  My son's 12 year old year, and my last year to manage.  I get it, but this just breaks our hearts.  My last year to coach him, and it's likely gone. 

This feels remarkably like the moment I was informed my brief minor league baseball career was over.  Aside from the death of a loved one, and one particularly trying stretch of my actual career that was the worst day and thing I have ever experience.  Oddly, I think that event, in many ways was way harder to get over than any of the other tragic life events.  You know family and loved ones passing is part of life. You know trying employment times eventually get resolved.  The moment you're told you can no longer play a kids game on any organized level is a freaking beating unlike anything.  The finality of it and the cold hard reality that you're no longer good enough is absolutely devastating in ways that cannot be described unless you've been in those shoes.  Particularly if you're ultra competitive and you kinda "need" to make it.  That was my situation.  I am frankly not sure I ever fully got over it.  Still haunts me 30 years later.  

Man I know exactly how you feel (not pro ball). I cried the day I knew playing baseball was over with and I teared up knowing that this season might get canceled. It very well might be my son's last baseball season as he's a better swimmer than baseball player and I think he plays more for me than himself sometimes, even though I specifically tell him every year not to do that.

Anyway, even if he plays again this was supposed to be a lifetime memory. My 12-year-old Little League season may have been my favorite year of baseball ever. And if this is his last baseball season then the last few weeks coaching him might have actually been my last time on a baseball field. It doesn't feel good, that's for damn sure.