The Stephen King Thread

dcbc

• 1 month later...

I've finished quite a few of his over the last year or so and would rank them right now (it'll be reversed next week based on my mood)..

1.) The Institute

2.) Joyland

3.) The Outsider

4.) Finder's Keepers

5.) Mr Mercedes

6.) 1922

7.) End of Watch

8.) Revival 

9.) Elevation

Currently about 40% through IT and holy hell this will be #1 for sure. What great world building. I now get why some people like the older stuff more than his newer books. I did get 25% through The Stand before dropping it. I need to retry reading it.

19 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've finished quite a few of his over the last year or so and would rank them right now (it'll be reversed next week based on my mood)..

1.) The Institute

2.) Joyland

3.) The Outsider

4.) Finder's Keepers

5.) Mr Mercedes

6.) 1922

7.) End of Watch

8.) Revival 

9.) Elevation

Currently about 40% through IT and holy hell this will be #1 for sure. What great world building. I now get why some people like the older stuff more than his newer books. I did get 25% through The Stand before dropping it. I need to retry reading it.

I also got through only 25% of The Stand the first time.  I've since gotten through it twice and like it.  You are right about IT.  It is tremendous.  But I think 11/22/63 edges it out, and it's a great book to follow up IT with since there are some familiar set pieces and characters.  Enjoy!

I just finished the audiobook for Needful Things.  It was pretty good, but not great.

Edited by dcbc

Man I've had IT on the shelf for a few years now just waiting for a good time to read it.  Need some time where I can have a lot of time to spend on it as I don't want to spread it out over a long time.  Also have Needful Things, Pet Cemetery, and The Outsider that I haven't read yet.  Recently read Drawing of the Three, man that was some crazy shit, definitely want to get the next one for that.  

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I also got through only 25% of The Stand the first time.  I've since gotten through it twice and like it.  You are right about IT.  It is tremendous.  But I think 11/22/63 edges it out, and it's a great book to follow up IT with since there are some familiar set pieces and characters.  Enjoy!

I just finished the audiobook for Needful Things.  It was pretty good, but not great.

Was that the one read by Stephen King? The sound effects were neat

10 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Man I've had IT on the shelf for a few years now just waiting for a good time to read it.  Need some time where I can have a lot of time to spend on it as I don't want to spread it out over a long time.  Also have Needful Things, Pet Cemetery, and The Outsider that I haven't read yet.  Recently read Drawing of the Three, man that was some crazy shit, definitely want to get the next one for that.  

I spread IT out over a pretty good period of time the first time I read it.  While it's better to knock it out in one stretch, it's a pretty tall order for people who do more than read all day or are, like me, not very fast readers. 

Of the books you listed, Pet Semetary is a really good one as well. 

Of everything I've tried to read by him, Gunslinger was the only one I just gave up on and haven't revisited.  Kind of soured me on the Dark Tower series.

I have read both The Institute and If It Bleeds,

Both pretty decent stories.  Probably not his best.

I really enjoyed Mr. Harrigan's Phone, the first story in Bleeds.  It has a kid as the central character, which is always a plus with King, and it reminds me of Word Processor of the Gods.  Also incorporates some insights about technology that are kind of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:34 AM, dcbc said:

I think he does "On Writing" as well.  He did a pretty good job. But I'm listening to 11/22/63 again and that one and IT are masterfully read. 

It sure is and I also like the guy that read the Mr Mercedes series. I do both audiobook and ebook for each book so the reader is pretty important to my enjoyment of King stories. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/27/2020 at 11:49 PM, SimonBolivar said:

1.) The Institute

2.) Joyland

3.) The Outsider

4.) Finder's Keepers

5.) Mr Mercedes

6.) 1922

7.) End of Watch

8.) Revival 

9.) Elevation

Interesting that his later works are on your top list. I’m a avid Stephen King fan and continue to enjoy the stuff he cranks out, but absolutely love his older work. Have you not read much of his earlier novels?

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Interesting that his later works are on your top list. I’m a avid Stephen King fan and continue to enjoy the stuff he cranks out, but absolutely love his older work. Have you not read much of his earlier novels?

Nope, IT is my first and I have roughly 200 pages left. It'll be #1 when I'm done.

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

There's a pretty distinct change in King's writing coinciding with his sobriety.  His sobriety date is 1987, if I'm not mistaken.  I believe The Tommyknockers was his last work before sobriety.  Before sobriety, and closer to his sobriety date, which indicates that he was pretty fucked up, his work is more surreal.  The Tommyknockers gets pretty wild.  So did IT.  His earlier works, when his addiction was less florid, are still more surreal but less "feverish" if you will.  Meaning in comparison to post-sobriety work, which has taken on more subtle supernatural aspects.

It also changed less dramatically after the wreck that nearly killed him in 1999.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's a pretty distinct change in King's writing coinciding with his sobriety.  His sobriety date is 1987, if I'm not mistaken.  I believe The Tommyknockers was his last work before sobriety.  Before sobriety, and closer to his sobriety date, which indicates that he was pretty fucked up, his work is more surreal.  The Tommyknockers gets pretty wild.  So did IT.  His earlier works, when his addiction was less florid, are still more surreal but less "feverish" if you will.

It also changed less dramatically after the wreck that nearly killed him in 1999.

Generally, I think that’s right. But he still had the occasional novel that was way out there. The Regulators is one of them. I really liked it, but it was pretty fucked up, even considering it was an alternative universe of Desparation.

Regulators was pretty wild and not exactly a happy ending. I read Desperation first. I feel like that was the correct order. It seemed like there was more characterization in Desperation and Regulators kind of relied on you knowing the characters a little already. 

Curious if anyone read Regulators first and what they think. 

21 minutes ago, Viper said:

Regulators was pretty wild and not exactly a happy ending. I read Desperation first. I feel like that was the correct order. It seemed like there was more characterization in Desperation and Regulators kind of relied on you knowing the characters a little already. 

Curious if anyone read Regulators first and what they think. 

I don't remember the first time around.  I recently re-read them, Desperation first.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/27/2020 at 9:49 PM, SimonBolivar said:

1.) The Institute

2.) Joyland

3.) The Outsider

4.) Finder's Keepers

5.) Mr Mercedes

6.) 1922

7.) End of Watch

8.) Revival 

9.) Elevation

That's interesting, I would agree with most of your rankings on this set, but I really liked Revival and thought Joyland was a huge letdown 

On 10/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, TwiceHorn said:

There's a pretty distinct change in King's writing coinciding with his sobriety.  His sobriety date is 1987, if I'm not mistaken.  I believe The Tommyknockers was his last work before sobriety.  Before sobriety, and closer to his sobriety date, which indicates that he was pretty fucked up, his work is more surreal.  The Tommyknockers gets pretty wild.  So did IT.  His earlier works, when his addiction was less florid, are still more surreal but less "feverish" if you will.  Meaning in comparison to post-sobriety work, which has taken on more subtle supernatural aspects.

I think the accident is the biggest change. I love his post accident books. It's almost hard to compare novels like It, Pet Semetary, Salem's Lot etc with novels like 11.22.63, Doctor Sleep, Mercedes Trilogy etc. 

I really liked It, The Stand, and Tommyknockers.  That being said, I think some of his best work is his short stories.  Problem is, they're really hit or miss due to the fact that his genius is in building characters and worlds.  It's been awhile, but IIRC, The Body and The Mist were both short (or novella-esque) stories.  I think The Body was in Different Seasons.  The Mist?  Monkey Shines?  Hell, I'm probably getting everything confused.  Also, anyone ever read The Jaunt?  I think that was in the short story book, Night Shift.  Perhaps my all-time fav.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I really liked It, The Stand, and Tommyknockers.  That being said, I think some of his best work is his short stories.  Problem is, they're really hit or miss due to the fact that his genius is in building characters and worlds.  It's been awhile, but IIRC, The Body and The Mist were both short (or novella-esque) stories.  I think The Body was in Different Seasons.  The Mist?  Monkey Shines?  Hell, I'm probably getting everything confused.  Also, anyone ever read The Jaunt?  I think that was in the short story book, Night Shift.  Perhaps my all-time fav.

I agree about his short stories.  But I tend to like short stories.  Interesting observation about the character development and short stories.

He's got a helluvan imagination and does ripping yarns, maybe that's what comes through in the short stories.

Longer than you think, Dad! It's longer than you think!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Started Needful Things yesterday, about 250 pages in atm.

That's an enjoyable one, imo.  Some hilarious characters and caricatures of them.  And while there is a supernatural villain, the real horror is the prejudices, fears, and anger of everyday people, turned to 11.

Also contains the glorious expression "Gobble my crank."

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's an enjoyable one, imo.  Some hilarious characters and caricatures of them.  And while there is a supernatural villain, the real horror is the prejudices, fears, and anger of everyday people, turned to 11.

Also contains the glorious expression "Gobble my crank."

Yeah I'm enjoying it so far.  At the point where the "pranks" are starting.  Off all week so hope to finish it by Wednesday.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

It was in Skeleton Crew

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I really enjoyed the Hodges trilogy. I read it out of order, starting with Finders Keepers, followed by Mr. Mercedes and then End of Watch, and I think it actually flowed better that way. 

Even as a Stephen King fanboy, I was leery of reading his books that strayed from his typical supernatural/horror genre. But the Hodges trilogy confirmed that he’s just a great all-around storyteller.

Edited by South Austin

Just discovered this thread, longtime constant reader of SK. IT is my all time favorite of his, despite the unfortunate scene at the end that I skipped over my last time reading it. If you are a fan of books set in Derry, I’d highly recommend visiting Bangor if you ever get the chance. It’s a small city and you can find so many of the landmarks from the books very easily. It really is a surreal experience and you feel like you’ve stepped into a novel. 

For those who loved Salem’s Lot and haven’t discovered it yet, check out the short story “One for the Road” that appears at the end of the Night Shift collection. It makes for a nice little coda to the novel. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 11:49 PM, SimonBolivar said:

1.) The Institute

2.) Joyland

3.) The Outsider

4.) Finder's Keepers

5.) Mr Mercedes

6.) 1922

7.) End of Watch

8.) Revival 

9.) Elevation

IT was great even with "the scene"

1.) IT

2.) The Institute

3.) Joyland

4.) The Outsider

5.) Finder's Keepers

6.) Mr Mercedes

7.) 1922

8.) End of Watch

9.) Revival 

10.) Elevation

I've started Needful Things thanks to this thread. I think I'll like it based on the first 5%. We'll see how it goes.

16 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

IT was great even with "the scene"

1.) IT

2.) The Institute

3.) Joyland

4.) The Outsider

5.) Finder's Keepers

6.) Mr Mercedes

7.) 1922

8.) End of Watch

9.) Revival 

10.) Elevation

I've started Needful Things thanks to this thread. I think I'll like it based on the first 5%. We'll see how it goes.

I think you'll really enjoy 11/22/63

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Don’t sleep on his older stuff.  Salem’s Lot is the book that got me hooked on his stuff.

His older stuff is outstanding.  I re-read them and they still hold up.  Funny thing is, King says he was drunk off his ass when he was writing most of them.

And he had a damn good run in the 1990s, some of his more underrated stuff, I think.  I highly recommend, in order of release, and not preference:

Insomnia (stay with it, it takes about 100 pages to get going, but then holy shit)

Rose Madder

Desperation

The Regulators (somewhat bizarre, and even more fucked up if you don't read Desperation first)

Bag of Bones

Dreamcatcher

The last one is the least impressive of them all, in my opinion, but was still a very enjoyable read.  The movie adaptation sucked.  Even Morgan Freeman couldn't do it justice.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

His older stuff is outstanding.  I re-read them and they still hold up.  Funny thing is, King says he was drunk off his ass when he was writing most of them.

And he had a damn good run in the 1990s, some of his more underrated stuff, I think.  I highly recommend, in order of release, and not preference:

Insomnia (stay with it, it takes about 100 pages to get going, but then holy shit)

Rose Madder

Desperation

The Regulators (somewhat bizarre, and even more fucked up if you don't read Desperation first)

Bag of Bones

Dreamcatcher

The last one is the least impressive of them all, in my opinion, but was still a very enjoyable read.  The movie adaptation sucked.  Even Morgan Freeman couldn't do it justice.

Shitweasels ftmfw.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:21 AM, SimonBolivar said:

I have a hard time with 11/22/63 and The Shining because I've seen the movie/tv show on both. I know that they aren't all that close to the books, but I wish I had read the books first.

I never saw the 11/22/63 miniseries and I haven't read The Shining so I can't comment on that, but I will say that I really enjoyed IT even after watching the old miniseries a handful of times. 

As a kid I saw a good number of King's film adaptations before or without ever reading the book, including:

Carrie (never read the book)

'Salem's Lot (book is better)

The Shining (movie is better)

Cujo (book is better)

The Dead Zone (book is better)

Firestarter (book is better)

Stand by Me (movie is better)

For the most part, I think King is such a good writer that it's worth reading his novels even if you've already seen the movie.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:42 AM, NorthLoop said:

I never saw the 11/22/63 miniseries and I haven't read The Shining so I can't comment on that, but I will say that I really enjoyed IT even after watching the old miniseries a handful of times. 

11/22/63 is the perfect book to read after IT.  I absolutely love IT, but I think 11/22/63 is my favorite book of his by a slight margin.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:21 PM, dcbc said:

11/22/63 is the perfect book to read after IT.  I absolutely love IT, but I think 11/22/63 is my favorite book of his by a slight margin.

Agreed on the sequencing, although I've read IT twice in my life, most recently in my late 30s, and didn't read 11/22/63 after it.  Still, weaving in the Derry story was pure magic. 

I need to give 11/22/63 another read.  I loved it, but don't know with a second read that I'll be able to say I like it better than IT (or even a couple of his other books).