The Stephen King Thread

dcbc

On 7/12/2023 at 1:41 PM, South Austin said:

I think that’s right. I recall Insomnia was like that, and it’s one of my favorites. A real crawl for about 100-150 pages, but then takes off.

I never could finish that one, even the audiobook.

In other news, I'm about 20 minutes from finishing the Dark Tower audiobook.  The series has been a slog at times, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

On 7/21/2023 at 10:39 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

Finished the Stand last night.  Wow! Just wow. I loved it. I'm bout to start the dark tower series (gunslinger). 

Make sure you've read Salem's Lot before you get too far into the series, or at least before Wolves of the Calla.

• Like 1

Have about 150 pages left of Tommyknockers. I've enjoyed it but it really is too fucking long for the story it tells. Every minor character gets 20 pages of backstory. I read that King himself said that it should've been 350 pages and it was the last book he wrote before kicking his cocaine habit. 

So I finally finished it. Wasn't a bad story at all just too many pages. 

Spoiler

What was the TK's ultimate goal here? Were they just wanting to replenish their ranks and take off in their ship? Or were they planning on some mass destruction or mass colonization first? He never really seemed to answer that. Just kept talking about "the becoming" but nothing after that. 

Finished If It Bleeds last night.  I picked it up a long time ago but after the first short story never got back into it.  King is still a really good short-storyteller.  The title novella is a Holly Gibney story.  Not as strong as the Mr. Mercedes trilogy or The Outsider, but still a good tale. 

Just now, South Austin said:

Finished If It Bleeds last night.  I picked it up a long time ago but after the first short story never got back into it.  King is still a really good short-storyteller.  The title novella is a Holly Gibney story.  Not as strong as the Mr. Mercedes trilogy or The Outsider, but still a good tale. 

I really liked it too. I don't get the hate for Holly and that whole series. Really looking forward to the new one. 

15 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I really liked it too. I don't get the hate for Holly and that whole series. Really looking forward to the new one. 

She is a bit of an oddball, and not a typical heroic detective like Bill Hodges and Ralph Anderson.  I guess that's why I find her endearing.

And on the topic of female leads, King rarely features them in his novels, which is understandable since he's a guy.  But when he does, he does it very well.  Take a book like Rose Madder, which doesn't come up often, but it's one of my favorites and one of his books I've read twice.  It's a fantastic story, and Rosie is a compelling character.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 8:39 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

Finished the Stand last night.  Wow! Just wow. I loved it. I'm bout to start the dark tower series (gunslinger). 

Meanwhile, we've been patiently waiting for recs in the horror book thread, and you're over here slumming it up in the King thread. The fucking Stand is fantastic, but it's longer than the Bible and you're  following it up with the Dark Tower Series, which is some of his best shit from the Drawing of the Three onward, but also long. Look dude, you have people counting on you, and while I'm almost done with Boys in the Valley, we can't go half a year in between recs

Eita GIF by TVE Bahia

• Haha 1

Glad I found this thread since I’ve been binging on SK the past year, almost exclusively on audiobook because I don’t have chunks of time to sit and read.

I haven’t “read” IT, so Pet Semetary is the creepiest so far bar none. I liked the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, the Outsider and if it bleeds. Will Patton is the narrator on those 5 and does a phenomenal job with Holly Gibney.

The Shining was a close second in terms of creepiest, especially the hedge animals  Dr. Sleep was a surprise and nice follow up.

I just started book 3 of the Dark Tower series. First book was hard to get through, second was better. Has anyone here read through the entire series? Should I invest my time elsewhere?

I’ll find time to listen to IT. 44 hours is a little daunting though. I can barely get through an 18 hour book within 3 weeks (using the Libby app).

Oh, and has anyone here finished the Stand? That was another 40+ hour audiobook that I can’t commit to.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Glad I found this thread since I’ve been binging on SK the past year, almost exclusively on audiobook because I don’t have chunks of time to sit and read.

I haven’t “read” IT, so Pet Semetary is the creepiest so far bar none. I liked the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, the Outsider and if it bleeds. Will Patton is the narrator on those 5 and does a phenomenal job with Holly Gibney.

The Shining was a close second in terms of creepiest, especially the hedge animals  Dr. Sleep was a surprise and nice follow up.

I just started book 3 of the Dark Tower series. First book was hard to get through, second was better. Has anyone here read through the entire series? Should I invest my time elsewhere?

I’ll find time to listen to IT. 44 hours is a little daunting though. I can barely get through an 18 hour book within 3 weeks (using the Libby app).

Oh, and has anyone here finished the Stand? That was another 40+ hour audiobook that I can’t commit to.

Loved the stand! For me post-apocalyptic books are scary because I have a family and fell in the realms of horror that is more likely to happen than say a ghost or demon attacking me. Did you watch the outsider series on hbo?

On 9/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, Superhero said:

The Dark Tower series gets better and better. The fourth book is probably my favorite, but the following books draw in random characters from his other works, so it might be better to branch out first....Salem's Lot and Hearts in Atlantis for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

About 150 pages or so into this. I like it a lot so far. Would rather it not be partially set during the pandemic, but that's fine. It's really starting to get moving. 

Spoilered for those who haven't read the Mr. Mercedes trilogy... 

Spoiler

Holly is a decent character, and I really like Jerome and Barbara, but damn Bill Hodges was the best character. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:38 PM, Superhero said:

Pet Sematary is one of my all-time favorites.  Great story, great characterizations.  And, it's a fairly interesting digression on grief.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Delta Charlie said:

Just finished "Holly".  Really did like it.  I really have enjoyed all the books of the "Mr. Mercedes" world. I do them in audio and the narrator for "Holly" was by the actress that played Holly in the Mr. Mercedes tv show.

I really liked it as well, and that's interesting, wish I would have known that, but flew through Holly too quickly anyway. King doesn't have anything on his "upcoming works" page, but according to a post on Reddit, he says in this interview that he's working on another book featuring Holly and another collection of short stories. So maybe your girl will narrate the next one too....

haven't been able to finish the interview, it's too interesting, but I'll do it when I have some down time 

https://talkingscared.buzzsprout.com/1322413/13368610-155-stephen-king-writing-from-the-nerve-endings

Edited by Doc Sam Beckett
Cholas 4 life

22 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Article is May 2022.  Hope this comes out soon, crazy stuff with the part about the twin boys he talks about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/stephen-king-cujo-sequel-rattlesnakes%3famp

Cujo was the first Stephen King book I read. I think I was in sixth grade. I’ve been hooked since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Holly and really enjoyed it. 

I will say that the Covid stuff was a bit too much. I get that Holly is the type of person who would absolutely be paranoid and have a strong opinion on the matter, but it all seemed very forced, especially when it involved other characters. Also the book is set in Summer 2021, but the Covid conversation all sounds like the way people would talk in Summer 2020 instead. Maybe it's because I live in Texas and by July 2021 nobody was wearing a mask anymore here, but other places around the country were still pretty strict. Not sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Finished Holly and really enjoyed it. 

I will say that the Covid stuff was a bit too much. 

Yeah the covid shit bugged me a little bit... 

Having said that, I'm gonna have to go back and re-read some of his older shit. Recently I was compiling a top ten list to show @SimonBolivar what a real King ranking should look like, and it was mostly his newer shit, which I find hard to believe... 

Brings me to this question: where do you all rank Revival? I fucking love this book. It is never rated highly on a King list, but it checks all the boxes. Coming of age story, New England, King's past (rhythm guitar), and a fucking scary ending. Top 5 for me, and if you dig audio, this guy is just slightly ahead of John Slattery as my favorite audible narrator 

download (5).jpeg

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah the covid shit bugged me a little bit... 

Having said that, I'm gonna have to go back and re-read some of his older shit. Recently I was compiling a top ten list to show @SimonBolivar what a real King ranking should look like, and it was mostly his newer shit, which I find hard to believe... 

Brings me to this question: where do you all rank Revival? I fucking love this book. It is never rated highly on a King list, but it checks all the boxes. Coming of age story, New England, King's past (rhythm guitar), and a fucking scary ending. Top 5 for me, and if you dig audio, this guy is just slightly ahead of John Slattery as my favorite audible narrator 

download (5).jpeg

Revival was really good with probably the scariest ending I've ever read from him. 

I recently read Misery and Salem's Lot both were fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:04 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The Kingcast guys tout Revival to all of their guests that haven't read it.  I don't know how it can elicit love with that ending (trying to avoid spoilers) but it's definitely terrifying. 

I feel like young King shows the work of a talented story teller but unpolished writer (and that shaggy dog quality enhances the storyteller "I'm just telling you a yarn" aspect to his writing, so it works better than maybe it should). 

Post accident he's working with a full toolbox and there's just another level of mastery.  Revival comes off as EXACTLY what King intends it to be.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2023 at 8:46 AM, South Austin said:

She is a bit of an oddball, and not a typical heroic detective like Bill Hodges and Ralph Anderson.  I guess that's why I find her endearing.

And on the topic of female leads, King rarely features them in his novels, which is understandable since he's a guy.  But when he does, he does it very well.  Take a book like Rose Madder, which doesn't come up often, but it's one of my favorites and one of his books I've read twice.  It's a fantastic story, and Rosie is a compelling character.

Carrie, Misery, Delores Claibourne. I get it, dozens of books and I can only name these 3 off the top of my head.  You are correct that he does write them well.  These 3 are in my top 10-15 of his characters.

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Carrie, Misery, Delores Claibourne. I get it, dozens of books and I can only name these 3 off the top of my head.  You are correct that he does write them well.  These 3 are in my top 10-15 of his characters.

Delores Claibourne was really good.  It took a while to get used to the first person narrative and her thick accent.  But it was a great story.

I follow the r/stephenking reddit.  In the past, occasionally, someone has asked if it's worth reading the unabridged version of The Stand. The majority of responses usually suggest that it is, and I agree with that sentiment. Usually, the most notable differences are mentioned in response to the question, particularly the omission of The Kid.

Well, on my most recent relisten to the audiobook and with my recent discovery of my old paperback version of the novel, I decided to chronicle as many of the notable differences as I could. This did not include the clunkier changes to reset the novel in 1990.  I originally set out to only list the really big differences, but as you will see, a lot of small omissions were made to cut approximately 460 pages, 10 chapters, the introductory scene and the Coda from the 1978 publication. I'm sure there are a few things I missed.  I'd just listen to the audiobook during the work week on my way to/from the office and spend a few minutes when I'd get to the office going through the section I'd listened to in the 1978 edition to see what was missing (I had the kindle version of the 1990 edition if I couldn't remember everything I'd heard.  It's a long book, and on some days, I paid closer attention than I did on others.  So I'm sure I missed a few things.

I know this was a painfully nerdy task to undertake, but you gotta have hobbies.  The list includes 91 notations, some of which contain multiple sections omitted.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 8:21 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The Dark Tower series gets better and better. The fourth book is probably my favorite, but the following books draw in random characters from his other works, so it might be better to branch out first....Salem's Lot and Hearts in Atlantis for sure. 

I got through 10% of book 4 before I tapped out. The first 3 were just a beating compared to his other works.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:48 PM, Delta Charlie said:

Just finished "Holly".  Really did like it.  I really have enjoyed all the books of the "Mr. Mercedes" world. I do them in audio and the narrator for "Holly" was by the actress that played Holly in the Mr. Mercedes tv show.

Which audio book version do you listen to? The only version I've listened to is narrated by Will Patton. I've listened to about 40-50 audiobooks so far and he is BY FAR the best one. His Holly Gibney is really good from Mr. Mercedes through If it Bleeds.

I'm hoping he will continue to narrate the SK books.

6 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Which audio book version do you listen to? The only version I've listened to is narrated by Will Patton. I've listened to about 40-50 audiobooks so far and he is BY FAR the best one. His Holly Gibney is really good from Mr. Mercedes through If it Bleeds.

I'm hoping he will continue to narrate the SK books.

Completely agree. Will Patton is one of the best.  He's read all the Bill Hodges/Holly Gibney books and stories except for "Holly".  I get all my audio books from audible.com.  

Another King narrator that I really enjoy is Craig Wasson. He read "11-22-63".

• Hook 'Em 3

Over the past year or so I've listened to a lot of SK. Here's my list in order of preference...

1. Pet Sematary   - by FAR the most terrifying
  2. The Shining   - terrifying
  3. Mr. Mercedes series   - really good
  4. Dr. Sleep   - really good
  5. The Outsider
  6. Misery   - awesome
  7. The Institute
  8. Salem's Lot
  9. Fairy Tale   - pretty good
  10. The Shawshank Redemption   - the movie strayed a bit from the book toward the end
  11. If it Bleeds
  12. Duma Key   - pretty good
  13. 11/22/1963   - pretty good, dragged a little
  14. Elevation   - short story, somewhat interesting
  15. The Running Man   - WTF, the movie is ABSOLUTELY nothing like the book, and the book is awesome.
  16. The Langoliers   - meh
  17. Dark Tower series books 1-3   - a beating
  18. The Body

I have Christine on my shelf, Cujo and Tommy Knockers in the cue, and hoping to someday get through It and The Stand.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Wait, Will Patton is a great narrator, that I agree with. But you guys actually liked his Holly? The start stop weird robot way he does her voice almost made me stop listening to Outsider. 

Yes, I really like Will Patton's Holly.

If you like Will Patton, he narrates some of the James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series. I'm in the middle of The Tin Roof Blowdown. It's a thriller with Katrina in the background. Really really good and kind of depressing. James Lee Burke spends time on describing landscape, weather and people's dress. It sounds kinda silly, but it really sets the mood.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:38 AM, Superhero said:

Over the past year or so I've listened to a lot of SK. Here's my list in order of preference...

1. Pet Sematary   - by FAR the most terrifying
  2. The Shining   - terrifying
  3. Mr. Mercedes series   - really good
  4. Dr. Sleep   - really good
  5. The Outsider
  6. Misery   - awesome
  7. The Institute
  8. Salem's Lot
  9. Fairy Tale   - pretty good
  10. The Shawshank Redemption   - the movie strayed a bit from the book toward the end
  11. If it Bleeds
  12. Duma Key   - pretty good
  13. 11/22/1963   - pretty good, dragged a little
  14. Elevation   - short story, somewhat interesting
  15. The Running Man   - WTF, the movie is ABSOLUTELY nothing like the book, and the book is awesome.
  16. The Langoliers   - meh
  17. Dark Tower series books 1-3   - a beating
  18. The Body

I have Christine on my shelf, Cujo and Tommy Knockers in the cue, and hoping to someday get through It and The Stand.

If you thought 11/22/63 dragged then it's gonna be hard for you to get through Tommyknockers. I guess it's easier to push through via audio books though.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/27/2023 at 8:39 AM, NorthLoop said:

Anyone read a lot of Koontz? I haven't read any and just wondering how he stacks up to King. 

On 11/27/2023 at 6:46 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've read most of what Koontz has written.  I like his stuff a lot, but it is quite different from King's.  His Odd Thomas books are really good.

Yeah Koontz is different. It's hard to explain. I was so excited for his Odd Thomas and Frankenstein series after reading the first book in each, but then just fizzled out as each series continued. Maybe I'll go back and try again 

On 12/9/2023 at 9:48 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah Koontz is different. It's hard to explain. I was so excited for his Odd Thomas and Frankenstein series after reading the first book in each, but then just fizzled out as each series continued. Maybe I'll go back and try again 

Koontz is a big dog lover, and dogs frequently show up as great characters in his books

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just started Thinner.  Not very far yet, but seems OK? so far.  Guess I'm just used to loving King books from the jump.  

Without spoilers, is this one a like/dislike of King?

I couldn't finish it, granted this was many moons ago, but I won't be trying it again. 

Side note, I just finished Black House a bit ago. I almost tapped immediately because of the weird narration, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Great book and ties in with the Dark Tower 

Updated rankings having finished Dark Tower 1 & 2, Salem's Lot, Billy SummersMisery, and 11/22/63 in the last couple of years.

1.) IT

2.) The Institute

3.) 11/22/63

4.) Joyland

5.) The Outsider

6.) Finder's Keepers

7.) Needful Things

8.) Salem's Lot

9.) Misery

10.) Mr Mercedes

11.) 1922

12.) End of Watch

13.) Dart Tower I: The Gunslinger

14.) Billy Summers

15.) Revival 

16.) Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three

17.) Elevation

Rankings of course set to change daily based upon mood. 

about 10% done with The Shining, need to finish The Stand and Fairy Tale at some point but not sure when I'll get back to them. I'm not going back to Dark Tower until I've read a lot more of his earlier works.