Lane Kiffin to Ole Miss?

C-Man

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Kentucky gave Stoops a contract thru 2031 that averages $9mil a year, signed the day before he fucking list to Vandy.

That sounds dumb.  I’m not sure why Stoops Jr. gets so much love.  He beat a ranked Florida team in 2018 and has three ‘who gives a fuck’ bowl wins against shitty Big 10 teams.  Other than that what the fuck has he actually accomplished?

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That sounds dumb.  I’m not sure why Stoops Jr. gets so much love.  He beat a ranked Florida team in 2018 and has three ‘who gives a fuck’ bowl wins against shitty Big 10 teams.  Other than that what the fuck has he actually accomplished?

You have to consider the environment. UK FB is the red headed stepchild on campus behind mens hoops.  His consistent level of quasi-success keeps boosters tickled pink.  Stoops couldn’t ask for a better gig.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

He’s not quite as hideous as his brother Casper, I mean Mike?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

You have to consider the environment. UK FB is the red headed stepchild on campus behind mens hoops.  His consistent level of quasi-success keeps boosters tickled pink.  Stoops couldn’t ask for a better gig.

Of course he couldn't ask for a better gig which makes it even dumber to pay him $9MM a year to accomplish fuck all.

20 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Forgive my ignorance of rural Mississippi and Alabama culture, but why would Kiffin leave for Auburn? I assume Ole Miss can pay him, he’s already installed his system and recruited players, and from best I can tell Oxford is a (relatively) nicer place to live. 

Lane may make A LOT MORE at Auburn.

AND...

Is Auburn Really a Better Job Than Ole Miss?

Does Auburn have more to offer than Ole Miss or are the two programs more balanced than they appear?

BEN KING       NOV 23, 2022 

OXFORD, Miss. -- The last 24 hours have been quite a roller coaster for Ole Miss fans.

The rumors about Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin possibly leaving for the Auburn Tigers reached their peak on Monday night when Jon Sokoloff of WCBI in Columbus, Miss., reported that Kiffin plans to make his way to the Plains this Friday after the Egg Bowl.

While Kiffin denied the report shortly after it was released, he has not given a definitive answer about his future plans.

He did, however, inform the team that he had not yet accepted a job elsewhere.

With Kiffin's decision seemingly up in the air until Friday, now is the perfect time to dissect a question that has been circulating the internet since these rumors first surfaced.

Is the gap between Auburn and Ole Miss really as big as some are making it sound?

At a quick glance, Auburn probably seems more appealing than Ole Miss. The Tigers have competed in two SEC Championship games and one national championship since 2010, and according to ESPN's Chris Low, Auburn has "ten times" more NIL money than Ole Miss currently.

While the Tigers have the winning pedigree that Ole Miss lacks historically, the Rebels are starting to turn it around. Since Kiffin was hired after the 2019 season, Ole Miss has turned into a consistent winner, boasting a 23-11 record while Auburn has gone 17-18 in that time.

Auburn is rebuilding while Ole Miss is on the verge of competing for an SEC title and possibly more.

Many also assume that Auburn is miles ahead of Ole Miss in terms of NIL funds, and it is speculated that the main reason Kiffin is interested in the Tigers is because of their NIL collective.

Edited by LTtxfan

Me too - as far as actual football goes, it don’t make a shit to me because we play both schools every year so we’ll have to face him regardless.

But I actually like Kiffin and I don’t want to have to hate him.

Plus, the Barners have their hearts set on him and I want to see them meltdown if he decides to stay at Ole Miss.

As for which is the better job, most old school SEC fans would rank AU above OM historically.

And as much as it pains me to admit it, Auburn is a much nicer place than Oxford.

But, for a guy like Kiffin, I think OM > AU. OM fans are satisfied with beating MSU, making a bowl game, and making a run at the SECCG once or twice a decade. And Kiffin is worshipped in OM and their local press seems to abide by the old school rules - give them access and they’ll give positive coverage in return. And their big money boosters know their places.

At Auburn, their beat writers are lunatics and their boosters even worse. And the fan expectations are unreasonable. They expect to be in the hunt for a playoff spot every season because Bama.

55 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Yeah I don't get that Auburn is a better job than Ole Miss.  Not at all.  Auburn is little brother to a Saban coached Alabama.  Ole Miss is big brother to Miss St.

Ole Miss along with Vandy, Kentucky, and A&M are the only SEC teams to never have gone to the SEC Championship. Auburn won the National Championship 12 years ago. Big difference in programs and support. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Ole Miss along with Vandy, Kentucky, and A&M are the only SEC teams to never have gone to the SEC Championship. Auburn won the National Championship 12 years ago. Big difference in programs and support. 

And Auburn is the biggest cesspool in college football. People were undermining Harsin before he stepped off the plane. They’ll do the same thing to Lane or anyone else.

They think championships are their birthright and they have no problem doing whatever they think necessary to get their way. They constantly meddle. They’re the larger than life version of what people falsely accuse us of being. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

And Auburn is the biggest cesspool in college football. People were undermining Harsin before he stepped off the plane. They’ll do the same thing to Lane or anyone else.

They think championships are their birthright and they have no problem doing whatever they think necessary to get their way. They constantly meddle. They’re the larger than life version of what people falsely accuse us of being. 

Yep.

They’re our aggy.

And not just by being the Ag school that plays second fiddle to their in state powerhouse rival.

They’re culty. Everything they spout is about how they’re better because they’re “family”. And their Creed. And spend more than an hour around one of them and the following will come out of their mouths, without fail - “Alabama fans love Alabama football. Auburn fans love Auburn.”
  • Hook 'Em 3

Me too - as far as actual football goes, it don’t make a shit to me because we play both schools every year so we’ll have to face him regardless.

Plus, the Barners have their hearts set on him and I want to see them meltdown if he decides to stay at Ole Miss.

As for which is the better job, most old school SEC fans would rank AU above OM historically.

And as much as it pains me to admit it, Auburn is a much nicer place than Oxford.

But, for a guy like Kiffin, I think OM > AU. OM fans are satisfied with beating MSU, making a bowl game, and making a run at the SECCG once or twice a decade. And Kiffin is worshipped in OM and their local press seems to abide by the old school rules - give them access and they’ll give positive coverage in return. And their big money boosters know their places.

At Auburn, their beat writers are lunatics and their boosters even worse. And the fan expectations are unreasonable. They expect to be in the hunt for a playoff spot every season because Bama.

“Auburn is a much nicer place than Oxford”? What fucking meth are you cooking?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

This.  Your'e a local so you understand Bama football culture.

Auburn is indeed the better job and it's not close but their boosters are butt fucking insane and have wildly unrealistic expectations.  There is a reason the interest has been underwhelming when the job has come open in the past.

And you're right, for Lane, Oxford is much better.  Can make some money, throw some leg, and the boosters are fine and are realistic.  No one ever lost a party, right?

Someone also mentioned Mark Stoops and UK being a great job.  That is correct.  As long as they're respectable and not an embarrassment, they're fine with that and Lexington isn't a terrible place to live.

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

They’re culty.

Everything they spout is about how they’re better because they’re “family”. And their Creed. And spend more than an hour around one of them and the following will come out of their mouths, without fail - “Alabama fans love Alabama football. Auburn fans love Auburn.”

This must be a land grant thing. Fuck aggy

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Also true

Ole Miss will let Kiffin do whatever he wants, as long as he wins. A normal school would have massive problems with their head coach hanging out in college bars and banging co-eds.

Ole Miss doesn't give a fuck. He's not leaving Ole Miss until he has at least that elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2022 at 10:48 AM, Pods said:

Ole Miss will let Kiffin do whatever he wants, as long as he wins. A normal school would have massive problems with their head coach hanging out in college bars and banging co-eds.

Ole Miss doesn't give a fuck. He's not leaving Ole Miss until he has at least that elsewhere. 

lot of coeds left in Oxford for him to bang 

On 11/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, The Dude said:

I don’t really GAF how long they lock Lane up for, but this couldn’t be more typical of modern society. Rules only apply to some of us. No CR

you sound like a bitch. you want to not have rules apply? elevate yourself. I bet you want the government to do it for you though. nO cR doe! Loser.

• 1 month later...

So Jaxson Dart's criticisms are around interceptions, so they bring in a 4 year starter who threw 3 ints in the conference title game last year and 4 in bedlam this year, and has a pretty broad reputation for being turnover prone. Good luck, lol.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. Shits going to get good. There is some serious power going to shift over the next 2-3 seasons. Also, since you now have a legal payment mechanism in place, I would imagine that would open up avenues in the future for some type of litigation for people who are doing things illegally  
Hard to do when the SCOTUS kicks the door open yet offers no guidelines or oversight...and the NCAA has been toothless for quite some time now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...