Lane Kiffin to Ole Miss?

C-Man

Report: Lane Kiffin nets massive raise with new contract

A new contract signed in January will top out $1.5 million higher than his original deal.

ZACH BARNETT   AUG 12, 2021

It's been a good week amid a good year to be Lane Kiffin.  The Lane Train is hauling much less unneeded freight, down 30 pounds from January. His entire Ole Miss program is vaccinated, as far as we know the only program in the SEC with that claim. Just this morning, Kiffin appeared on MSNBC's Morning Joe to encourage vaccinations in the South.

And on Thursday morning the Jackson Clarion-Ledger reported Kiffin's new contract is much richer than the one he first signed in December of 2019.  Kiffin will earn $4.5 million this fall, with a $500,000 retention bonus should he remain in Oxford through the end of this calendar year. That vaults him from the second-lowest paid among the SEC's 13 public head coaches into the middle tier with Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Mississippi State's Mike Leach. 

He was set to earn $4 million under the terms of his original contract, meaning his 5-5 debut was worth an extra $1 million to Ole Miss brass.  The annual raises are bigger with his new contract, too. The original deal bumped him by $100,000 a year, the new one jumps a quarter million, taking him to $5.75 million by 2024. 

Mississippi state law prevents its public employees from being under contract for longer than four years, so there's a good chance this deal doesn't last longer than 12 months, either. The easiest way to see how satisfied Ole Miss is with the Lane Experience is in the total value of his two contracts.

The first deal committed $16.2 million of the school's funds to its new coach. The new deal? $21.5 million, a 33 percent raise.  

1 hour ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

How is it that despite the never ending reservoir of attractive late teens early 20s girls that the women in their late 30s and on are mostly untouchable in the state?  Seems like their MILF ratio should be much better than it is.  Is it just meth?

fried food diet

• 3 weeks later...

Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin tests positive for COVID-19, out for opener vs. Louisville

7:48 AM    ESPN

Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin has tested positive for COVID-19 and will not coach in Monday's season opener against Louisville.

Kiffin said in a statement that he had developed a breakthrough case of COVID-19.

"I am grateful to be vaccinated and experiencing over mild symptoms. So much so, I debated over being tested, but I'm relieved that I did," Kiffin said. "I'm proud of our program's commitment to vaccination, and as a result, there are currently no other cases to report or team members expected to miss the game."

No information was immediately available on who would handle the head-coaching duties Monday for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta.

Kiffin said earlier this month that there was a 100% vaccination rate among Ole Miss players, coaches and staff members.

The 46-year-old Kiffin is starting his second season with the Rebels after going 5-5 in 2020.

https://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/32144331/ole-miss-coach-lane-kiffin-tests-positive-covid-19-sources-say

• 3 weeks later...

With his Ole Miss squad off this week and top-ranked Alabama looming, Lane Kiffin couldn't resist some deadpan-trolling of Nick Saban & Alabama

Kiffin bemoans 'Bama's demise, says Tide can 'cherry-pick' in free agency

JOHN BRICE

Lane Kiffin might have a new role: media editor.

Ole Miss' colorful coach, during his Wednesday appearance on the Southeastern Conference's weekly coaches' teleconference, implored reporters to “stop upsetting” Alabama coach Nick Saban.

While Kiffin's Rebels don't have a game this week, with an extremely early-season bye, they do visit Alabama Oct. 2.

Kiffin, like Mark Twain, bemoaned what he views as the media's premature rush to chronicle Alabama's demise after the top-ranked Tide barely outlasted Florida, 31-29, last Saturday in The Swamp.

“I wish media would stop upsetting Coach Saban by saying that this is a weak team and has weaknesses,” Kiffin said. “They went on the road against a top-10 team into 'The Swamp' with a (redshirt) freshman quarterback and won.

“Now all of a sudden people are saying they're not a good team and they've got weaknesses and can't stop people. That don't really help us a lot, being around there knowing how that place works. This is a great team.”

In fact, Kiffin said, he believes that Saban's continued top-flight recruiting and the proliferation of the transfer portal make the Tide an even stronger juggernaut.

Twice Kiffin referenced Alabama's ability to get Ohio State transfer-wideout Jameson Williams and former Tennessee Freshman All-SEC linebacker Henry To'oto'o.

“Now they get to cherrypick for any holes they might have,” Kiffin said. “Like the Ohio State wide receiver and the Tennessee linebacker.

“Not only do they get the top Draft picks (via recruiting), but now they get to go into free agency and get players. They get to set up one of the most talented teams ever, which is what we're getting ready to play.”

Kiffin said he's seen media repeatedly give Saban ammunition for Saban's fastidious approach to relentless improvement.

“I feel like the media has done that a hundred times: Alabama's over. The dynasty's over,” Kiffin said. “They lost too many players. They lost too many coaches. I think he does a phenomenal job in losses, which I've only been there for three and one was at the end of the year. So really I've only been there for two losses where we played again the next week and both were Ole Miss. He handles them really well. He doesn't start changing things because of one loss like media acts like. He kind of rallies the troops. I've seen it really help them .”

Kiffin's Rebels, with burgeoning Heisman Trophy candidate Matt Corral, have won their first three games by a combined 106 points and climbed to 13th in both national polls.

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2021 at 9:11 AM, Don Johnson said:

Ha. Just seeing this. Agee used to work at the Star-Telegram when I did. He sat right behind me in the Arlington news bureau, he was in News and I was in the Sports. Funny dude. He's a professional stand-up comic/writer in LA now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The schools that bitch the loudest coincidentally seem like the ones who were doing it under the table for years and now suddenly find themselves at a disadvantage. Odd. 

Oh yeah. Shits going to get good. There is some serious power going to shift over the next 2-3 seasons. Also, since you now have a legal payment mechanism in place, I would imagine that would open up avenues in the future for some type of litigation for people who are doing things illegally  

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm not commenting on that group, I don't want to go have a seat over there 

Listen up Dennis, take a hint from the master Lane himself and get yourself an alias. You don't see Joey Freshwater sitting on the sidelines. 

• Haha 1

The more Ole Miss football changes, the more Lane Kiffin wants it to stay the same

Nick Suss      Mississippi Clarion Ledger.    March 22, 2022

OXFORD — On the surface, Ole Miss football is about as different as a team can be in 2022 compared to 2021. But coach Lane Kiffin hopes the structure that binds the teams together can stay the same.

Ole Miss started spring practices Tuesday with so many new faces that Kiffin might as well have been playing Guess Who? The Rebels had 17 early enrollees  making their practice debuts, including three freshmen, two junior college transfers and 12 scholarship transfers. That's not to mention Kiffin's five new assistant coaches, his new strength coach or his new chief of staff. 

Kiffin is hoping this team can be proof that turnover doesn't mean reinvention.

"There will be a lot of carryover defensively promoting (defensive coordinator Chris Partridge) from within and (offensive coordinator Charlie Weis Jr.) on offense having been with us before," Kiffin said. "That's really good for the players. There will be some changes but not overall scheme."

The cornerstones of Ole Miss' plan under Kiffin will still be in place. Receiver Jonathan Mingo said the offensive emphasis is still to "go fast and score a lot." Safety A.J. Finley said the defense's goal is to avoid taking a step back by playing as well or better as it did last year.

Ole Miss found a way to win last year. The big question is whether that formula worked because it's a good formula or because the Rebels had personnel good enough to make any formula look good.

Kiffin is a "we" guy. Whenever he talks about his past, whether he's talking about stints at USC, Alabama or FAU, he says "we" instead of "I." 

The people who made that "I" a "we" are quickly disappearing, though. Partridge and receivers coach Derrick Nix are the only assistants who have been with Kiffin all three seasons in Oxford. Former running backs coach Kevin Smith, who followed Kiffin from FAU, left for Miami this offseason. Former strength and conditioning coach Wilson Love had worked alongside Kiffin in some capacity every year since 2014 when he was a graduate assistant at Alabama, but he left for Oregon this offseason.

This isn't a problem unique to Kiffin. It's not even clear it's a problem. Turnover happens everywhere. Alabama is the poster child for winning in spite of roster and staff turnover every year. 

Kiffin is trying to build a program that wins no matter who is playing quarterback or calling plays or distributing the water during timeouts.

"If you win 10 games, you're always going to try to get better and improve and look at new ideas and things but not totally scratch kind of like we did a year ago on defense," Kiffin said. "I don't think you'll see a lot of difference."

At some level, the cosmetic differences will be impossible to ignore. Whoever replaces Matt Corral at quarterback won't be Corral, whoever replaces Sam Williams at defensive end won't be Williams and no matter how hard he tries, Weis won't call plays the same way Jeff Lebby did. 

The objective this spring has to be finding ways to put the new players and coaches in the same positions to thrive the previous group had. Kiffin doesn't want to reinvent the wheel to make that happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss have released a "Transfer to the 'Sip" promo video

Starring players that have landed in Oxford from The Portal, Kiffin and Ole Miss release a "Transfer to the Sip" promo.

DOUG SAMUELS          1 HOUR AGO

Lane Kiffin has had a handful of takes on the Transfer Portal make headlines this off season, leaving little doubt on where he stands on the topic.

His "Come to the 'Sip" slogan has been popular since he took over the Rebels program in Oxford, and that has evolved to include "Transfer to the 'Sip" as well and has worked pretty well as the program has landed a number of well regarded players from The Portal.

Now, Kiffin and the program have released a "Transfer to the 'Sip" promotion video making Ole Miss seem like the coolest destination the Transfer Portal could possibly have.

The best part? The video stars players that have tested the transfer portal and landed in Oxford after previous stops at places like USC, TCU, Louisville and Central Michigan.

Like it or not, this seems to be the direction college football is headed and this won't be the last video with this type of theme that you'll see aimed at enticing kids in the portal.

• 3 weeks later...

The absurdity of college football has led me to the realization that when we next find ourselves in search of a new coach, I say fuck it, bring in the Lane Train. He seems perfect for today's shady world of NIL and the transfer portal. Even if he fails like the rest of our recent coaches, at least he would be cracking me up. 

Also, its been awhile since Ive seen this photo and that's not right

8YtLuM2v6f3rDdlQtKc9Veq0Fw7IagigNMzugTtTiN4.jpg?auto=webp&s=a5797bfe9727900f2bfc2055594021a94947d4a9

• Like 1

The absurdity of college football has led me to the realization that when we next find ourselves in search of a new coach, I say fuck it, bring in the Lane Train. He seems perfect for today's shady world of NIL and the transfer portal. Even if he fails like the rest of our recent coaches, at least he would be cracking me up. 
8YtLuM2v6f3rDdlQtKc9Veq0Fw7IagigNMzugTtTiN4.jpg?auto=webp&s=a5797bfe9727900f2bfc2055594021a94947d4a9

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

+ for nippie-tippies, but they're just not quite enough to overpower the Resting Bitch Face.

• 2 weeks later...

Lane Kiffin: “We’re a professional sport and they are professional players.”

While most in his profession pine how college football used to be or how it should be in some undefined future, Kiffin is dealing with reality on reality's terms.

ZACH BARNETT      MAY 25, 2022

For a time, it seemed Lane Kiffin adopted the Troll in Chief role out of necessity. First, he was young, brash, and looking to gain attention by poking Urban Meyer and Florida. 

By the time he got to Florida Atlantic, Kiffin was in on the joke. Being the coach who would say (or tweet) anything brought him a new identity and much-needed attention to FAU and Ole Miss. 

Now, though, Kiffin has worn the outsider's clothing so long that he can say anything and not fret about the consequences. Or maybe he was the same guy all along and we're just now in a position to hear it.

Kiffin granted an interview to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger about the state of college football, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more candid set of answers, anywhere.

"I’ve said from the beginning, players should get paid," Kiffin said. "They do the work. Why that should be limited to a scholarship check, I disagree with. And they shouldn’t be [paid] all equal. That’s not what happens in the real world. Why does their best player get paid the same as their worst player? That’s not real life."

While most in his profession pine how college football used to be or how it should be in some undefined future, Kiffin is dealing with reality on reality's terms.

Kiffin said that the NCAA isn't riding in on white horses to save the day, and that the current, booster-funded system is sustainable. 

"A professional player already has money, and they usually follow the money [in free agency]. So when you don’t have it and are three or four years away from getting money in the NFL, you take what is guaranteed," Kiffin said. "How can you blame them when a lot of them never make it to the NFL? How do you not take it?

"Why did Bryce Young not go into the portal? If you are advising Bryce Young, why do you not go into the portal and walk into Nick Saban’s office and say, ‘Hey, I want to be here, but I’ve got to protect myself so I’m going to go into the portal. And I want to come back as long as it’s matched with what I get out there.’ The kid would make 10 times what he would have made. How’s that not going to happen all the time? It should. It will."

Read the full interview here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a punter at a kegger. No, seriously.

https://www.outkick.com/ole-miss-punter-keg-party-lane-kiffin/

“I don’t know a whole lot about him. I think he was down at the frat house, like at a keg party or something, where they got him from,” Kiffin told the media. “So, we have condition work to do with my guy. But we just said, ‘Hey, someone go find a punter around campus,’ so we found one that actually used to punt in Division I. So, you never know.”

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...