Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

This has been addressed, but it's comfort.  Damn near nobody has a foot shaped like any footwear that comes to a rounded point at the front.

Funny you say that about your grandfather because the only real horsemen/cowboys I know that still wear round toe boots today are old as dirt (and women will wear them for fashion reasons).  Some of those old timers' boots might even lean toward being slightly pointed toe.  But that's just because they're old and set in their ways.  One I'm thinking of in particular, one of the best horsemen I've ever known, also still carries a flip phone and wouldn't know how to turn on the internet if his life depended on it.  He can pull off round toes.  He can pull off any damn toe he wants.

it was actually great grandfather, but yes he was old as dirt. he wore basically the same stuff every day.

thanks!

22 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If he's old enough to pull that off he can talk as much shit as he wants.

Nobody's old enough to pull that off.

But sure, if he's old, he can go a little scorched earth with relatively low risk of an ass kicking.

In his defense though, he did ask for help with the hat.

Speaking of hats, along with what has already been mentioned...

The shape is as important (if not more) than the hat itself.  Never buy one straight off the shelf without getting it shaped.

And don't wear a felt in the summer (unless for a very dressy occasion) or a straw in the winter.

Also, never put it on the bed.

Edited by Landomatic

42 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Nobody's old enough to pull that off.

But sure, if he's old, he can go a little scorched earth with relatively low risk of an ass kicking.

In his defense though, he did ask for help with the hat.

I have some hats that belonged to my great grandfather (born in 1901 I think) that kind of look like that. Dude helped his aunt and family move from Panola County to Childress and then made his way home alone on horseback at the age of 12, so I'm pretty sure ain't nobody gonna mess with him even in the afterlife. I guess we just have to assume billfromlaletravis is Armybrat old.

Are Anderson Bean boots good quality? I tried a whole bunch on today and those were by far the most comfortable even though I didn't like the look of any of them.
Beans are great quality, great value. Same company that makes Rios of Mercedes and Olathe. I'm not a big square toe guy but I got a great deal on a pair that I couldn't pass up. They are one of my most comfortable pair of boots.
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:43 AM, Landomatic said:

Speaking of hats, along with what has already been mentioned...

The shape is as important (if not more) than the hat itself.  Never buy one straight off the shelf without getting it shaped.

And don't wear a felt in the summer (unless for a very dressy occasion) or a straw in the winter.

Also, never put it on the bed.

Pretty good stuff, but I could introduce you to a gaggle of (older) genuine cowboys that never wear a straw hat-NEVER.  Those are for farmers.  I wear straw, starting probably tomorrow, but I’m no cowboy.

Our family bootmaker, now deceased, (at least 12 pair), once told me that you should try on boots with a fresh pair of socks like you intend to wear; if the heel slip is there, it’s bullshit-the bootmaker wants you to fit the boot to your feet with sweat shrinkage.  They should fit perfectly from first wearing.

Hats?  Take a look at thefedoralounge.com. If you want a nice hat, go custom and forget the overpriced crappy Stetson/Resistol lids.  There’s much, much nicer out there for less money.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any experience with this outfit? I just read about them in Texas Monthly. 

https://standardhatworks.com/felt-hats

Never heard of them but it really all just depends on what look you're going for.

I know there's been a lot of ball busting on here about your Tecovas and skinny jeans, and if that's the look you're really going for, then don't waste much money on a hat (as someone mentioned earlier).  You're going to look how you look...regardless of the hat.

If you want to really look good and somewhat legit western, then YES, a good hat will help you immensely.

Based on the picture you posted and the fact that you're asking about all these different elements of your wardrobe, I'm somewhat inclined to believe you really are trying to pull off much more of a somewhat legit, respectable, good looking western thing...and not a stupid fucking hipster wannabe tecova skinny jean wearing thing?

If I'm right, and you're going for the former, honestly, you're not that far off and you can definitely get there with a little bit of help.  Particularly with your hat.  If not, and you prefer the latter, then carry on.

General word of caution on hats right now:  Fashion hats have never been more popular.  I'm talking about the felt or straw hats that may kinda sorta seem like a cowboy hat, but they're not at all.  Nothing wrong with them and a lot of legit hat makers are capitalizing on their current popularity, but they will land you into the latter category above very quickly.

12 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Pretty good stuff, but I could introduce you to a gaggle of (older) genuine cowboys that never wear a straw hat-NEVER.  Those are for farmers.  I wear straw, starting probably tomorrow, but I’m no cowboy.

Huh, I've never heard that one time in my life.  In fact, if anything, I feel like it's the older genuine cowboys who have been the staunchest advocates of NEVER wearing a felt in the summer...the older they are, the less flexible they are on that.  So much so that I was taught early on that, "you can always tell a real cowboy from a fake one...if they're wearing a felt in the summer or a straw in the winter."

On 3/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, tx 3 putt said:

i can't do it man, just not a square toe person. 

Me either, and what does piss me off about it is the difficulty of finding round toed boots.

I don't think Anderson Bean has ever made a round toe boot, for example.  The Berkshire Hathaway people are down to fewer than a half-dozen styles across the three brands.  Et cetera.  Not that anyone should be looking at them, anyway, but still.

Also, for the most part, the comfort thing means comfort in a boot that doesn't fit right.  Even with the narrowest toed boots, your toes shouldn't be anywhere near the narrow part and there should be adequate, if not plenty of, room for them.  And it shouldn't be your toes wedging in the front of the boot that keeps your foot from moving forward, it's the instep or part over the arch that should grab your foot (incidentally, if your boots fit right and this is happening, it's why they're so comfortable, that support of the middle of your foot really helps). If your toes are getting crowded in any boot, your boot doesn't fit right, end of story.

I do think people who wear western boots to work tend to prefer a blunter toe, for the most part.  You never saw an X or chisel type toe in a work boot in the old days.  When Rios was just Rios (before AB and Olathe), they seemed notorious for building boots with wide round toes, pull holes, way tall tops, and in working rather than dress hides (cow, shoulder, bull, elephant), and often double soles, which all used to be earmarks of "work" or "working cowboy" boots and to some extent still are.  A lot of recent Olathe styles are like that.

S3013-Toe-400x400_1.jpg

Fuct up toes, wnb.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

95% of the Anderson Bean boots you come across are specific to that store and that store only. They have less than a dozen stock models. And you can order any AB you see in a round toe, just gonna have to cough up the dough for the special order.

What kinda dough we talkin bout?  

95% of the Anderson Bean boots you come across are specific to that store and that store only. They have less than a dozen stock models. And you can order any AB you see in a round toe, just gonna have to cough up the dough for the special order.
Do you know where in austin they'll have anderson beans? I tried on a few at cavenders. Didn't see any at allen's.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:38 AM, Landomatic said:

Huh, I've never heard that one time in my life.  In fact, if anything, I feel like it's the older genuine cowboys who have been the staunchest advocates of NEVER wearing a felt in the summer...the older they are, the less flexible they are on that.  So much so that I was taught early on that, "you can always tell a real cowboy from a fake one...if they're wearing a felt in the summer or a straw in the winter."

The most realest cowboy I know (family owns several feedlots and rodeo has been way of life since birth) had never owned a straw hat - until he got to Texas.     The actual cowboys that work the ranch we hunt are Mexican nationals and it’s all straw and palm hats.   All have square toed boots tho.  

Do you know where in austin they'll have anderson beans? I tried on a few at cavenders. Didn't see any at allen's.

I have no idea. Most manufacturers will have a store locator on their website where you can type in your zip code and bring up everyone that deals their product in that area.

Cavender’s would have been your best bet 10-15 years ago, but now days they don’t carry much outside of the regular stock options AB offers.
  • Like 1

my entire adult life i've been taking care of my boots the same way i take care of my baseball gloves - wipe dirt off with a damp cloth and let dry, apply bick 4 and let dry, then apply vaseline and buff.  what do you guys do?  would you recommend something other than vaseline for the final polish stage?  i usually deep clean and polish about twice a year before overseas trips.  the rest of the time i'm usually in my office.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

my entire adult life i've been taking care of my boots the same way i take care of my baseball gloves - wipe dirt off with a damp cloth and let dry, apply bick 4 and let dry, then apply vaseline and buff.  what do you guys do?  would you recommend something other than vaseline for the final polish stage?  i usually deep clean and polish about twice a year before overseas trips.  the rest of the time i'm usually in my office.

Depends on the hide.  Vaseline is probably not optimal for non-working leathers, maybe not for most.  Bick 4 is good stuff, regardless.

"Oil-tanned" leather uses petroleum-type products in the tanning (neatsfoot, mink, similar) while vegetable tanned does not and theoretically, you should "match" them up.

Cream or paste polish after Bick 4 should be a good finisher if you want more shine.  Don't buff it if you don't.

On 3/24/2021 at 4:01 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

It can be a regional thing as well. Square toe boots are much more popular in West Texas than round toe boots from what I've seen. And even then, those are really for going out. Most of the fellas out there wear Red Wing work boots or the lace ups most of the time. 

Age plays an important part in round vs square toe. Personally i like both, round is a little dressier IMO but square just feels more comfortable. 

On 3/17/2021 at 9:29 AM, BearSchlong said:

The last 5 pair of jeans I've bought have been Ariat, low rise, slimmer/straight fit, mainly because I have no ass, but they are durable too and are a notch above Levi's in quality. M5/M7 are the designation.

ariat jeans are dog shit. Cinch green label are the best I think as far as country jeans 

On 3/28/2021 at 8:09 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

There is a store out in Brenham that has a good selection of AB, but I can’t recall the name of it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

ariat jeans are dog shit. Cinch green label are the best I think as far as country jeans 

I had some Ariat Jean's back when they first started making them that were made of nice thick denim with sturdy triple stitching that lasted forever, but it didn't take long for them to switch to less expensive thinner stuff so that folks would have to buy them more often. Last I looked at Cinch, the work jeans were about the equivalent of the Wrangler 20X work jeans, just more expensive. I stick to Levi's (only the dark wash ones with sturdy denim) mainly because they fit me the best. Jeans are kinda like boots or pistols in that some brands fit some folks better, and some brands fit other folks better.

• 2 weeks later...
If I were to travel to West Texas regularly for work, I would buy a pair of square toes to blend in. You stick out like a sore thumb out there with clean round toe boots. 

Fuck that. I wear round toe boots every time I’m out there. Those roughnecks need to be exposed to what a proper boot looks like
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This has been addressed, but it's comfort.  Damn near nobody has a foot shaped like any footwear that comes to a rounded point at the front.
Funny you say that about your grandfather because the only real horsemen/cowboys I know that still wear round toe boots today are old as dirt (and women will wear them for fashion reasons).  Some of those old timers' boots might even lean toward being slightly pointed toe.  But that's just because they're old and set in their ways.  One I'm thinking of in particular, one of the best horsemen I've ever known, also still carries a flip phone and wouldn't know how to turn on the internet if his life depended on it.  He can pull off round toes.  He can pull off any damn toe he wants.

I don’t find square toe more comfortable, but I’ve been wearing round toe my whole life so my feet have sort of formed that way (my big and pinky toes curve inwards). Because of that, my feet actually slip around more in a square toe. I do have a pair of square’s though, and I’ll admit they’re more functional for certain tasks. If I’m doing some sort of construction, a square toe boot makes for a more effective “foot hammer” (i.e., kicking a stud or sheet of plywood into place).

Interesting point about old timers. Don’t think my grandad ever owned a pair of cowboy boots even though he spent his entire post-military career running a fairly large ranching operation. All I ever saw him wear was a pair of laced hiking-type boots. He never gave a shit about snakes so I guess he didn’t feel the need to wear something more protective. He passed a few years back, but his wife (aka my ~97 yo grandma) is the same. She kills a buzzworm in her backyard about once a year barefoot with a shovel.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

5855dfc07b57c99d5185bf1dc5d7cdf5.jpg

Wife said dark brown boots would look best with my Easter shirt for church. Went digging wayyyy in the back to find these puppies. Chocolate sueded hippo from BlackJack. 15” tops with collar, initials stitched in the pullstrals and an riding heel.

Not bad, for square toe.  A special order, I presume?  Seems like BlackJack makes that pretty easy and economical through sites like timsboots and others.

And that’s fair because it’s what YOU like. My post was directed at those that seem to think they are more a cowboy/rancher because they wear round toes. I’ve got news for those folk, if that’s what they think makes a cowpoke then they’re not in any way qualified to be making those judgments

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t find square toe more comfortable, but I’ve been wearing round toe my whole life so my feet have sort of formed that way (my big and pinky toes curve inwards). Because of that, my feet actually slip around more in a square toe. I do have a pair of square’s though, and I’ll admit they’re more functional for certain tasks. If I’m doing some sort of construction, a square toe boot makes for a more effective “foot hammer” (i.e., kicking a stud or sheet of plywood into place).

Interesting point about old timers. Don’t think my grandad ever owned a pair of cowboy boots even though he spent his entire post-military career running a fairly large ranching operation. All I ever saw him wear was a pair of laced hiking-type boots. He never gave a shit about snakes so I guess he didn’t feel the need to wear something more protective. He passed a few years back, but his wife (aka my ~97 yo grandma) is the same. She kills a buzzworm in her backyard about once a year barefoot with a shovel.

I like your grandfather’s style. I wear timberland shoes that are like a cross between a tennis shoe and a hiking boot. 

I just wear fancier looking work boots when I need to "hit the town".  If I'm flying, I make sure to wear the composite toe instead of the steel toe.  I'm over the rock hard leather soles.  Of course, my days of turning laps at Midnight Rodeo are in my rear view.  And 100% square toe.

• Like 1