Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

On 4/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

I've decided to get a decent pair of boots. I think I have settled on the Tecovas Goat Ropers in Scotch Goat. Unfortunately they are backordered. It seems like Tecovas got some love in the early days of this thread but that people may be down on them now. Are they still putting out decent boots, or is there a different brand in the same price point I should be looking at?

Get what fits and feels the best. Then go for looks. I’m a luchesse fan, those boots are for life 

• Like 1

I bought a pair of alligator Lucchese boots 20 years ago.  Now as I am older, my feet are wider and the boots can't be stretched anymore.  Went to the Lucchese store at The Domain last week and got sized for the right width.  Did not have the color ostrich I wanted, so they got another store to ship to my house.  Fed ex arrived next day.  Very happy with the new boots and the customer service.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:40 PM, Gladeite said:

I bought a pair of alligator Lucchese boots 20 years ago.  Now as I am older, my feet are wider and the boots can't be stretched anymore.  Went to the Lucchese store at The Domain last week and got sized for the right width.  Did not have the color ostrich I wanted, so they got another store to ship to my house.  Fed ex arrived next day.  Very happy with the new boots and the customer service.

So what are you doing with the old boots, and what size are they ?

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I wouldn’t seeing a cheaper option move into the space. Cuero’s bizarre zag into “work boots” has left a void. 

Tecovas kind reminds of SWA. Get a foothold in the market with cheap prices and a decent product, then establish a reliable customer base, and finally raise prices until they’re about the same as their competitors. 

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah I wouldn’t seeing a cheaper option move into the space. Cuero’s bizarre zag into “work boots” has left a void. 

Tecovas kind reminds of SWA. Get a foothold in the market with cheap prices and a decent product, then establish a reliable customer base, and finally raise prices until they’re about the same as their competitors. 

Cuero right now are at 20% off btw, coming in at 160.

they are an example of a company where i would love to see their sales breakdown % by SKU. they have to be selling a pretty decent number of work style boots, right?!

23 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

I think they've increased their prices too. I'm still a fan, but it does not seem there is as much a delta to more upscale brands as there used to be.

There's about a $150 difference between the Tecovas I am interested in and a similar style from Lucchese. I'm pretty sure I am going to convince myself to get the Luccheses, particularly because I can go to a brick and mortar store and make sure I get the right fit without the hassle of dealing with the return process. 

So I've narrowed it down to either the Sunset Roper or Majestic Roper from Lucchese. I think I like the color and leather better on the Tan Sunsets, but the Tobacco Majestics are nice too, and the dark brown may be more versatile I suppose. The heel, shaft, and toe are the same on both. 

Sunsets:

CL6506C2_PAIR_2048x.png?v=1648065874

Majestics:

CL6502C2_PAIR_2048x.png?v=1628060231

Edited by Seasick Sailor

On 5/9/2022 at 9:40 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

There's about a $150 difference between the Tecovas I am interested in and a similar style from Lucchese. I'm pretty sure I am going to convince myself to get the Luccheses, particularly because I can go to a brick and mortar store and make sure I get the right fit without the hassle of dealing with the return process. 

I agree with your choice but where do you live that doesn’t have a Tecovas store yet? They’re throwing those things up like crazy. My buddy does a lot of the building and was giving me a rundown of what’s coming and it sounds like they’re over expanding but we’ll see. I think they’re tripling the size of the store on SoCo by moving across the street soon. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

their transition from "low cost, high quality boots" to "apparel company selling everything, oh yeah and boots" has been interesting. not unexpected after they raised 56m (lifetime of 120m) in funding in Jan.

"Our goal at Tecovas is to build the most welcoming brand in western," said Paul Hedrick, founder and CEO of Tecovas. "This latest funding will allow us to scale our vision and welcome even more customers to the brand. We've seen rapid growth since Tecovas' launch in 2015, and we plan to use the proceeds from this round of funding to continue on that trajectory, investing significantly in hiring, expanding our retail footprint, buying more inventory, and launching many new products."

In addition to the funding, Tecovas recently achieved two notable milestones that speak to the company's significant growth. First, 2021 was the first $100 million+ revenue year for the brand and, secondly, it celebrated the sale of its 1 millionth pair of cowboy boots in Q4 2021. The profitable brand - which grew over 80% in 2021 - is showing no signs of slowing down in 2022 or beyond, as it plans to open another 5-7 stores and notch 50%+ growth in 2022.

I want the Alligator Tecovas in a zip boot. I check every few weeks to see if they will drop one, but nope. They came out with a lizard.

I have noticed in Texas that Tecovas has become a bro thing and I get like a dozen compliments every time I wear a pair in a professional setting.

Edited by Vegas64
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 11:38 PM, Vegas64 said:

I want the Alligator Tecovas in a zip boot. I check every few weeks to see if they will drop one, but nope. They came out with a lizard.

I have noticed in Texas that Tecovas has become a bro thing and I get like a dozen compliments every time I wear a pair in a professional setting.

Yep. I usually get compliments on The Cooper (black cherry Nile crocodile) when I wear them to HLSR events. 

I’m still regretting not buying the Birthday boot last year. Tan hornback alligator. I hope they bring them back, but they probably won’t. 

Ordered a pair of Lucchese Sunset Ropers in Chocolate. I was very impressed with the customer service. They were running a promotion for a free belt with purchase, but all the belts that matched my boots were sold out in my size. I chatted with someone today, and they gave me a code I can use when the belts are back in stock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 2:14 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Those look nice, but an extra $300 for what appears to be a Sunset roper with the stone wash seems steep. 

It used to be that Lucchese had "tiers" of quality of construction/craftsmanship, with Classic being the top tier and the most expensive, and 1883 and some others being of lesser quality (not all leather, more machine work, etc.).  It got to be quite confusing and now they've just abolished the tiers altogether, but some boots are significantly more expensive than very similar others, like those ropers, above.

Before that, they were all "Classic" quality, now they clearly are not.

It's hard to figure out.

But it seems like if you are paying less than $1k for non-exotic and at least double that for exotic, you're not getting traditional Lucchese quality.  Another tip off seems to be whether they are available in widths other than D or EE.

ETA:  Perusing the Lucchese site, they indicate nothing that isn't D or EE width.  That isn't how boots work.  That's how mass produced fashion works.  There's not even an indication of made to order, which is basically what Classics were.

I'm not sure I'd fuck with Lucchese anymore.  BlackJack is more for your money and I think better resembles old school Lucchese quality.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 7/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure I'd fuck with Lucchese anymore.  BlackJack is more for your money and I think better resembles old school Lucchese quality.

I don’t disagree with your comments on BJ, and I’ve moved more towards AB lately, but less than a year ago I was looking at some ~1k luccheses and they seemed good. Probably fall somewhere between the classics and 1883, well above the 2000’s or whatever the cheap ones were several years ago.  I’m definitely not an expert like @Herbie Hancock or @NotActuallyALonghorn but I’ve been an everyday wearer of boots for last 27 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a pair of Tecovas alligator ropers.  They look and feel amazing.  A+

While i don't hate on Lucchesi, i have had pretty poor experiences, including a bootstrap breaking in half within a couple months of purchase.  Better than my one (and last) experience with Justin's ropers, but still more than enough not to pay the premium for Lucchesi.