Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

3 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Is there a consensus on a good place to re-sole some Lucchese in the Austin area or just send them back to Lucchese ($350 quoted, seems high)?

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Holy crap that’s insane. Are they the handmade/classics? At one time that was the only boot Lucchese would take back and work on, but man it was worth it as they would do a full overhaul on the boot. It was also only $199 back then too…$350 is……aggravating.

yes, these are smooth ostrich classic ropers that I got a hell of a deal on at Cavenders, for ~$350, so re-soling them for $350 seems ridiculous and it will take 3-4 months!

========

Howdy!

Thank you for contacting Lucchese Online Customer Service for Authorized Retailers. We would be happy to provide you with a return number on our Lucchese's Signature Restoration Services!

-Full Soles and Heels: $350.00 plus shipping as of June 01, 2022.

Please provide the following information:

*Store Name:
*Account & Store Number:
*Style Number:
*Size & Width:
*Contact name:
*Phone number:
*Print the attached Waiver release form

This program takes your well-worn Lucchese boots through an entire inspection and refinishing process to ensure impeccable reconstruction and a like-new appearance before they’re returned to you. Please note that we reserve the right to reject and return any boots before the resole/restoration process after a thorough inspection. The reasons for a boot’s rejection may include but are not limited to the following: it has been resoled by anyone other than Lucchese, resoled more than twice (not enough leather on the vamp to resole), or if the leather or components have been damaged beyond repair. The approximate time frame for a repair is 12-14 weeks.

If you have any other questions regarding our repair process, feel free to respond to this email thread, and I'll be happy to assist you!

8 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

yes, these are smooth ostrich classic ropers that I got a hell of a deal on at Cavenders, for ~$350, so re-soling them for $350 seems ridiculous and it will take 3-4 months!

========

Howdy!

Thank you for contacting Lucchese Online Customer Service for Authorized Retailers. We would be happy to provide you with a return number on our Lucchese's Signature Restoration Services!

-Full Soles and Heels: $350.00 plus shipping as of June 01, 2022.

Please provide the following information:

*Store Name:
*Account & Store Number:
*Style Number:
*Size & Width:
*Contact name:
*Phone number:
*Print the attached Waiver release form

This program takes your well-worn Lucchese boots through an entire inspection and refinishing process to ensure impeccable reconstruction and a like-new appearance before they’re returned to you. Please note that we reserve the right to reject and return any boots before the resole/restoration process after a thorough inspection. The reasons for a boot’s rejection may include but are not limited to the following: it has been resoled by anyone other than Lucchese, resoled more than twice (not enough leather on the vamp to resole), or if the leather or components have been damaged beyond repair. The approximate time frame for a repair is 12-14 weeks.

If you have any other questions regarding our repair process, feel free to respond to this email thread, and I'll be happy to assist you!

Well, that does look like more than a resoling, but the question becomes do they need anything more than resoling.  Also fun that you seem to be disqualified from reconditioning if resoled by anyone else.  Also 12-14 weeks.  JFC.

I’ve mentioned that Anderson Bean does it, but Lucchese also takes the time to go back through the original holes on every stitch. No cobbler down the street will do that, and what happens after a few trips to the cobbler is you end up with a perforation line resulting in the cobbler having to pull the vamp farther down to get some fresh leather to stitch to which then changes the fit.

You absolutely get what you pay for when you send your boots back to the manufacturer, but for having paid so little for the ones mentioned above I completely understand the heartburn at the price tag of it all.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, uoftorange said:

Allen Edmonds recrafts and does the exact same stuff for $150, $350 is idiotic and basically saying they don't really want to be in that business.  Yes a full boot is bigger, but I'd argue actually a bit easier than a lace up shoe in some respects.  

Agreed, but to me it just depends on what boot your sending it.  The guy sending in his 15k pair of Barons isn't concerned, just want's them back as close to new as he can get.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Agreed, but to me it just depends on what boot your sending it.  The guy sending in his 15k pair of Barons isn't concerned, just want's them back as close to new as he can get.  

Well yeah, for sure, no doubt.  And that's probably who Lucchese is marketing that service to.  

3 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Well yeah, for sure, no doubt.  And that's probably who Lucchese is marketing that service to.  

I pay the shitty Houston shoe clinic or whatever $125 or so iirc, so...  They do a decent job, but definitely not taking them apart and fixing them up like i would assume they are at the factory. 

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’ve mentioned that Anderson Bean does it, but Lucchese also takes the time to go back through the original holes on every stitch. No cobbler down the street will do that, and what happens after a few trips to the cobbler is you end up with a perforation line resulting in the cobbler having to pull the vamp farther down to get some fresh leather to stitch to which then changes the fit.

You absolutely get what you pay for when you send your boots back to the manufacturer, but for having paid so little for the ones mentioned above I completely understand the heartburn at the price tag of it all.

That's a bit of goods being sold to justify their insane price. Hand welted shoes or boots can be resoled many times without having to pull the vamp down because they welt can only be stitched on by hand, and there is no reason not to go through the original holes when hand stitching a new welt on. Now, many cobblers will machine stitch a new sole on through the existing welt, but if the welt eventually needs to be replaced it must be hand stitched back through the original holes. So there is no need to pull the vamp down. Goodyear welted shoes  or boots are a different matter, but these are not Goodyear welted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GenXer said:

Picked these up from Heritage on South Congress.

0AAC9AE1-9243-4440-A6C1-5E1808DA2B75.thumb.jpeg.4975f417f1f15800fa9198c03ca110fd.jpeg

@NotActuallyALonghorn@Herbie Hancock

What's up with shaft stitching not going through the lining anymore?  You never used to see that and now you see it all the time.

All the Black Jack's I've ever seen still go through the lining as always.  Not so much anyone else.

Also, it seems like the pulls on a lot of boots aren't nearly as well-finished as they used to be.

Just cost-cutting, I guess?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yeah, it's been a trend on cheaper boots for years now that the stitching doesn't go all the way through. That used to be a way to hold the liner and outer together before modern glues that would last, but isn't really necessary anymore with modern glues. However, since it is being done more for cheaper boots, it has to be a cost saving measure in their process. I'm guessing it is somehow easier to stitch the tops and then glue in the liner than the other way around. Maybe the stitching through a single layer of leather is quicker and leads to less down time from a maintenance perspective? Either way, I've seen boot reviews where they say it is a positive attribute, and I'm sure we will be seeing more higher end boots done this way in the future as the factories that make higher end boots update their equipment and processes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

Those are nice.  Calf skin?

Yep. Very very soft.

My wife has bought three pairs of boots from them in the past month. I got another pair the weekend before last. My new pair has an asymmetrical stitch pattern. 

I think we’re single handily paying their retail space rent on south congress.

CCDB6E11-9B61-4212-9CD3-FB47B81F3736.thumb.jpeg.fd4bfb5671429551ddff4f9c289e99ad.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone finding inconsistent dying with tecovas? I’ve been to the austin and new dallas store at northpark, and tried on two different styles of boots. Both had dye issues.

I thought there might be a difference with the online orders. Apparently not. I just received a pair I ordered online and the dye is inconsistent.

This year, I’ve bought 1 pair of Rod Patricks, Cueros, Rios, Chisos, and 2 pairs of Heritages in a variety of skins. Only Tecovas have the glaring dye issue. I’m disappointed because I like them but the dye issue is a non-starter.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

I don’t know shit about boots, I just know I wanted a pair of Lucchese made out of western diamondback. 
This is their store in Nashville, it is close to my home. All I can say is service is pretty fucking good for not being in Texas .
As soon as I walked in the door I was handed a Shiner. Their fitting room is on the second floor, where there is also a small band area more than adequate to do recording. Couple of Martins, a D18, and a D28. Small mixing board, a few amps. There is also a pretty nice sized bar, I had another Shiner with a Garrison chaser. And on a separate table I'm guessing were 75 to 100 skins, most of which I had no idea what species they were. 

What I did not know was the 10 to 11 month waiting period. Which is a long period of time for an old guy. But I said fuck it, hope the wife doesn’t have to bury my ass in them. And yes I did the entire boot in diamondback. Fuck it.

IMG_4559.jpeg

Ballpark, how much are we talking $$ wise?

6 hours ago, NoName said:

Ballpark, how much are we talking $$ wise?

Out the door at $4600, I can’t remember what the tax rate is. I’m going to guess at least %10. 
Yeah, it’s too much, but I grew up in Texas and have never owned a custom boot. Being as I am in the sunset of my life, I pulled out the money and went all in.

The response from the guy who fitted them (also a native Texan) when I told him what I wanted was “Those things are going to look sick!” But, he did warn me that there are some special care instructions for diamondback. That the skin isn’t as durable as most other species. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Looking for some advice.  Want to buy some boots and have not worn boots in 20+ years.  In my limited research, I keep coming back to Lucchese as the best combination of comfort, quality, and fit.  Given it is the first pair of boots for 20+ years, I want to keep the costs down, in the event they end up in my closet in 2 months time.  One constraint: I have hallus rigidus (arthritic stiff toe) in my right foot and do not want the boots to make it worse (of course).  So, that means I'll need a rigid/rocker sole and (possibly) a relatively large toe box.

Any recommendations?  And "Don't get boots, you arthritic city slicker" can be a legit response, if that's what you conclude.

4 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Looking for some advice.  Want to buy some boots and have not worn boots in 20+ years.  In my limited research, I keep coming back to Lucchese as the best combination of comfort, quality, and fit.  Given it is the first pair of boots for 20+ years, I want to keep the costs down, in the event they end up in my closet in 2 months time.  One constraint: I have hallus rigidus (arthritic stiff toe) in my right foot and do not want the boots to make it worse (of course).  So, that means I'll need a rigid/rocker sole and (possibly) a relatively large toe box.

Any recommendations?  And "Don't get boots, you arthritic city slicker" can be a legit response, if that's what you conclude.

Anderson Beans. Mid-quality/price.  Mostly squared toe (comfortable on your toes) 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, lucchese are nice but people around here have soured on them it seems. I’m happy with the dozen or so pairs ive had over the years. 

A couple of things.  There is the Lucchese Classic line, which I am not sure is even available in off-the-shelf sizes, maybe as a semi-custom order.  Those are top-quality boots, but also very spendy compared to other top-quality boots, like Rios of Mercedes, Black Jack, etc.

People have soured on the lower-end ones, that are not a whole lot different than Justin, Tony Lama. Tecovas etc. commodity boots.  All of them piss on their heritage of hand-made, all leather boots.  There is a fairly high likelihood that they will be comfortable, though, because they're built more like Nikes than old-school boots.

So, unless you really want "heirloom" boots, I'd forego Lucchese entirely.  And if you do want heirloom boots, there are less spendy options that sacrifice nothing.

The key to having a real boot be comfortable, regardless of toe width, or heel height, is to have the instep tight enough to support your foot over the arch so it stays right there and doesn't cram down into the toes.  That can be hard to achieve without a custom fit, especially in these days of D/EE like it or lump it boots.  That's just bullshit, right there.

If you stick with wide toes and low heels, you have a higher chance of getting a tolerable fit without getting what makes western boots western boots.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A couple of things.  There is the Lucchese Classic line, which I am not sure is even available in off-the-shelf sizes, maybe as a semi-custom order.  Those are top-quality boots, but also very spendy compared to other top-quality boots, like Rios of Mercedes, Black Jack, etc.

People have soured on the lower-end ones, that are not a whole lot different than Justin, Tony Lama. etc. commodity boots.  All of them piss on their heritage of hand-made, all leather boots.  There is a fairly high likelihood that they will be comfortable, though, because they're built more like Nikes than old-school boots.

So, unless you really want "heirloom" boots, I'd forego Lucchese entirely.  And if you do want heirloom boots, there are less spendy options that sacrifice nothing.

I’ve had probably ~5 pairs of the cheapos (2000’s) and close to a dozen classics thru the years (still have most).  Not a single one belongs in any sentence with Justin.  Are they worth $650?  I’d rather have a pair of Beans than the lower end Luccheses.   But without a single doubt, every single pair was better than any Justin, Ariat, and 80% of any Tony Lamas of last 20 years that I’ve worn.  I can’t speak to Tecovas because lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve had probably ~5 pairs of the cheapos (2000’s) and close to a dozen classics thru the years (still have most).  Not a single one belongs in any sentence with Justin.  Are they worth $650?  I’d rather have a pair of Beans than the lower end Luccheses.   But without a single doubt, every single pair was better than any Justin, Ariat, and 80% of any Tony Lamas of last 20 years that I’ve worn.  I can’t speak to Tecovas because lol.

Theyr'e not as finely finished, but the construction is about the same.  And they are D/EE sized boots and that's a traveshamockery.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

luchesse roper with a high quality insole

100% you should buy what feels and looks good, to hell with the brand 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/24/2023 at 8:44 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I have two pairs of boots

1) a pair of old-school cowhide Justin ropers I bought in 1993 and took 5 years to fully break in

2) a pair of calfskin Tecovas cowboy boots

Obviously the Justin’s are higher quality boots. The Tecovas have their place- the office and/or parties

I have one pair of boots... 30+ year old Red Wings that really need new heels.  Maybe I'll eventually get something else but I'm a monumental tightwad for certain things so probably not and if I do it will be something like a work boot at Cavender's and not the tourist shops on South Congress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

I have one pair of boots... 30+ year old Red Wings that really need new heels.  Maybe I'll eventually get something else but I'm a monumental tightwad for certain things so probably not and if I do it will be something like a work boot at Cavender's and not the tourist shops on South Congress.

Take them to your local Red Wing store.

• Hook 'Em 1

My Pecos pair are right at 29. I’m going to take them into the Red Wing store just to see the look on their faces when I ask about resoling.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2023 at 7:44 PM, fattyflattie said:

i've managed to accumulate a few pairs of boots over the years.  i wear my beans and my dan posts the most.  they're so comfortable and easy especially for trips.  i have pairs of lucchese, lamas, and even a pair of tecovas (that i've probably only worn twice if that) that never leave my closet.  

• 2 weeks later...
No caimans, but the Tecovas FQO (pecan) are great. Very comfortable and true to size. 
Order a pair or two and if you don't like them for any reason send them back for a refund. I ordered two and sent back the one that didn't fit as well, and got my refund back in short order.
tecovas.com 

I’ve got the Tecovas Jason (caramel)with the rubber sole. Never had so many compliments on a pair of boots. They are comfortable too.

20 hours ago, Dignan said:

I’ve got the Tecovas Jason (caramel)with the rubber sole. Never had so many compliments on a pair of boots. They are comfortable too.

I don’t really get the Tecovas hate, but I suspect it mostly has to do with their marketing, which I admit can be annoying in the way they seem to target hipsters. But there’s nothing wrong with the boots themselves. I've been wearing boots for 30+ years. I own, or have owned, Lucchese, Anderson Bean, Tony Lama, Justin, Dan Post, and others, and my Tecovas are easily the most comfortable. I get compliments on them all the time. I realize what I'm paying for and that they're not made as well as say, Black Jack or Lucchese Classics, but for the price, they're a good value.

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Hook 'Em 4