Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How much do they charge for a custom there? Just curious what the prices there are, as there is like a fifty or hundred dollar gap between starting prices between the two hat makers in the town I grew up in. FYI, there is only one hat company that sells blanks to hat makers in America, The Winchester Hat Company in Winchester, TN, so you are probably getting the same blanks at the base model anywhere you go.

Good to know. We’ll see what they have. I’m looking for a tan hat. I believe American sells a 10X in Pecan. 

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How much do they charge for a custom there? Just curious what the prices there are, as there is like a fifty or hundred dollar gap between starting prices between the two hat makers in the town I grew up in. FYI, there is only one hat company that sells blanks to hat makers in America, The Winchester Hat Company in Winchester, TN, so you are probably getting the same blanks at the base model anywhere you go.

I don’t recall where he starts, but fwiw he’s not cheap.  Better or worse, he’s done a bunch of hats for presidents, celebrities, earl, etc.   I spent ~$1500-ish iirc on a decent-nice hat I ended up gifting to someone. If I ever decide I need another, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one of his. 

Johnny's Custom Hatters in Longview starts at $150 if I recall correctly. Mike's Custom Hatter in Longview starts at about $100 more. I can't speak to the quality of work at Mike's Custom Hatter, but I got my wife a hat for valentines day at Johnny's Custom Hatters a couple of years back and they did good work. I paid for the base model, but they offered a 50X second for the same price when she went in to get it made. We never found anything wrong with it, but they offered to remake it with another blank if she wanted. Might be worth the trip if you want a new hat.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Gents, about 20 years ago, I had these made by Loveless Boot Company based in OKC. (at the Dallas Safari Club Expo).

Well, in 20 years, a man's foot gets flatter, and expands some.  As such, they no longer fit. I think Loveless is no longer in business.

Any recommendations to take these and try to have them refit? (I am in North Texas).

Boots.JPG

I’ve said it here and on the old site, and I had numerous people follow my advice and praise me for the recommendation, but David at Colony Cobbler in The Colony is one of the absolute most talent people I’ve ever been around and I spent a good bit of time in those circles. If he can’t do it then it can’t be done. And then about a year ago David retired and sold to former employee and ot has absolutely gone to hell. Not to mention the dude is an absolute douche, his work is terrible. So in short, don’t go to Colony Cobbler.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’ve said it here and on the old site, and I had numerous people follow my advice and praise me for the recommendation, but David at Colony Cobbler in The Colony is one of the absolute most talent people I’ve ever been around and I spent a good bit of time in those circles. If he can’t do it then it can’t be done. And then about a year ago David retired and sold to former employee and ot has absolutely gone to hell. Not to mention the dude is an absolute douche, his work is terrible. So in short, don’t go to Colony Cobbler.

You’re looking for praise again aren’t you?

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Well shit... thanks though.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy? He just worked on some of my boots about 3 months ago? a1ac251197b456433a607d480835ac46.jpg

On 9/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Good to know! I sent a pair of my old elephants to get fixed a few year ago and he did a great job. I have a pair of my dad's old elephants I wanted to get redone but I guess I better find another place now...

Edited by Grimas

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve never owned or even tried on a pair of Red Wings in my life, but I heard from numerous people that had been RW loyalists for ages that something about them changed in the late 00’s and they weren’t the same fit, comfort or quality. Like I said I never sold them and never owned them so I don’t have a clue, but I got that from numerous folks that had worn them for years so take that for what it’s worth.

I know this thread is "Cowboy Boots" but does anyone have experience with the Red Wing mock toe boots?  My dad hunted in these boots all my life, now thinking about getting pair for myself.  
622-Classic-Moc-Toe-Copper-Rough-and-Tough_1.jpg?v=1587549297

IIRC, that’s the best selling Red Wing boot. I’d get those without a doubt if I needed something like that. Maybe I’d up my budget to White Boots which is as good as it gets for that style.

There’s a YouTube channel where a guy took apart the dozen best selling moc toes and ranked them for build quality. A quick google would find the videos. It was White and Red Wing at the top IIRC.

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I know this thread is "Cowboy Boots" but does anyone have experience with the Red Wing mock toe boots?  My dad hunted in these boots all my life, now thinking about getting pair for myself.  

1907 Classic Moc Toe Copper Rough & Tough

You can probably save some money and get equivalent quality from Weinbrenner/Thorogood.

american-heritage-6-tobacco-moc-toe-maxw

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, that’s the best selling Red Wing boot. I’d get those without a doubt if I needed something like that. Maybe I’d up my budget to White Boots which is as good as it gets for that style.

There’s a YouTube channel where a guy took apart the dozen best selling moc toes and ranked them for build quality. A quick google would find the videos. It was White and Red Wing at the top IIRC.

If you wanna go fuckin nuts, try Nicks Boots, another PNW outfit that made their bones with logger boots.  https://nicksboots.com/moc-toe-wegde-work-boot/  Full custom.

Also, Redwing should be shot for leaving lace hooks off even the 6".

And, you can get the Thorogood with a Vibram lug sole, which is probably honestly better than the crepe for many hunting applications, depending on where and how you hunt.

I own the Thorogoods and they're good boots.  Very comfortable and supportive.  They do have some kind of funky insole and all that that I figured would go flat in six months or less, but it has not.  Also, very little break in time.

I imagine the leather on the Redwings is a tad more substantial, but you aren't going to destroy the Thorogoods easily.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

For a general hunting boot, Bean Boots might be a better option if you are looking for something that doesn't look like a cowboy boot.

This right here, especially if around mud and water.  I spend a lot of time on the Texas coast, at my farm in northeast Texas, and in southeastern Mobilhoma.  Lots of mud and water.  I can wear my 12” all day, day after day, in comfort.  Uninsulated because, well, just doesn’t get cold enough and more versatile.  Order with hooks - this is critical

Way more useful/versatile than Muck boots IMO.

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I've watched the YouTube guy cut the boots in half.  The Thorogoods just have a little too much man-made textiles in them for my taste.  The best shoes I own are Allen Edmonds (yes, poors here), and are the most comfortable with a full leather insole, and a good break in.  Looking for the same experience here.

Edit to add:  My Dad used them for quail/pheasant/upland birds, so lots of walking.  He never complained.

Edited by CycleTex87

17 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Because I’m a long haired hipster I have a few pair of Red Wings including the ropers and some Iron Rangers.  The ropers are 10 years old, have been to hell and back and are my favorite boots of all time.  I can beat the piss out of them chopping wood or working on the lease and then hit them with saddle soap and bring them back to life.

You won’t regret them for the price even though I think those traction tred soles are kinda ugly. If you really want to go big get some Viberg hikers. 

83DBE19A-8D1B-4350-BD9F-4DBB6E516CA8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

I've watched the YouTube guy cut the boots in half.  The Thorogoods just have a little too much man-made textiles in them for my taste.  The best shoes I own are Allen Edmonds (yes, poors here), and are the most comfortable with a full leather insole, and a good break in.  Looking for the same experience here.

Edit to add:  My Dad used them for quail/pheasant/upland birds, so lots of walking.  He never complained.

I doubt you'll find that style of boot with a full traditional leather insole without going custom. Manufacturers know that most people throw those kinds of boots away instead of getting multiple resoles done, so there isn't much point to going to the extra expense of doing it that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking at the White's mock toe boot, they are actually a little cheaper than the Red Wings.  It's a pretty good price point for the quality of boot.  It really comes down to which fits my foot better.  Red Wing and White's do have a leather insole, with a supplemental insert for comfort/sizing issues.  We'll see.

19 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

My pops wore those also.  Mainly for upland bird hunting and messing around the ranch.  Great quality

I bounce back and forth between Solomon and Danner for hunting and Luchesse/Ariat for more traditional pull on boots. 

13 hours ago, solamente73 said:

This right here, especially if around mud and water.  I spend a lot of time on the Texas coast, at my farm in northeast Texas, and in southeastern Mobilhoma.  Lots of mud and water.  I can wear my 12” all day, day after day, in comfort.  Uninsulated because, well, just doesn’t get cold enough and more versatile.  Order with hooks - this is critical

Way more useful/versatile than Muck boots IMO.

image.jpeg

this is a great boot for a mud and water environment 

12 hours ago, USCATX said:

Because I’m a long haired hipster I have a few pair of Red Wings including the ropers and some Iron Rangers.  The ropers are 10 years old, have been to hell and back and are my favorite boots of all time.  I can beat the piss out of them chopping wood or working on the lease and then hit them with saddle soap and bring them back to life.

You won’t regret them for the price even though I think those traction tred soles are kinda ugly. If you really want to go big get some Viberg hikers. 

83DBE19A-8D1B-4350-BD9F-4DBB6E516CA8.jpeg

Looks like the Red Wing #1155 Pecos. Wearing mine as we type…….comfy as bedroom slippers (with inserts for my high arches.). Tough going as nails, and very low-key ranch/oilfield boots;  they drive my wife crazy with no toe stitching, so I wear ‘em as often as possible-

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I doubt you'll find that style of boot with a full traditional leather insole without going custom. Manufacturers know that most people throw those kinds of boots away instead of getting multiple resoles done, so there isn't much point to going to the extra expense of doing it that way.

Yeah, I tend to be of the same mind.  I can be pretty doctrinaire about "cowboy" boots, but they are kind of a unique thing.  The same way about dress shoes.

I think it's the crepe rubber sole.  You just slice that sucker off and glue another one on, so construction matters less.  But the welting on Thorogoods is solid.

13 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Looking at the White's mock toe boot, they are actually a little cheaper than the Red Wings.  It's a pretty good price point for the quality of boot.  It really comes down to which fits my foot better.  Red Wing and White's do have a leather insole, with a supplemental insert for comfort/sizing issues.  We'll see.

The only pair of Redwings I've owned were not shaped right for my foot, and I had to take the "insole" out just to make them bearable until I could get a new boot voucher. There was definitely a shoe board underneath it instead of a proper leather insole. I put insole in quotes the first time because the padded insert that is inside a pair of boots is not the same as the insole that is a structural part of them, despite having the same name. In traditionally channel welted boots and shoes, the insole is the piece of leather that the upper and welt are sewn to. The sole is then stitched to the welt.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I tend to be of the same mind.  I can be pretty doctrinaire about "cowboy" boots, but they are kind of a unique thing.  The same way about dress shoes.

I think it's the crepe rubber sole.  You just slice that sucker off and glue another one on, so construction matters less.  But the welting on Thorogoods is solid.

I think a lot of those types of boots use a stitch down type of construction or one of the various other means of attaching the upper to the insole so that they can glue the sole onto a single piece of insole material. There is no need for welted construction if the sole is not stitched to the welt.

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

i have been wearing this pair of Dan Post 2111 Calf skins since 1991.  3 re-soles thus far.

DP2111R__56849.1394065732.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

• Like 1