Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

Also, if we're looking at high-end, very traditional construction boots. Need to have a look at Russells.

https://www.russellmoccasin.com/featherweight-double-vamp-birdshooter/

They're actually built like moccasins, where a single piece of leather goes under your foot and wraps up the sides, with the toe-piece sewn on.

Basically all of the foregoing boots do that look, but without any need for the "moc toe."

That actually sounds like a modern version of bottes sauvages, which were basically a french canadian version of moccasins used back in colonial times that were made with vegetable tanned cowhide instead of the indian brain tanned deer or elk. The better tanning process and thicker leather made them much more durable. There is a lhistorical ow top version of this footwear called souliers de boeuf in Canada that was more like a loafer. There is also the shoepack in Colonial America, which in at least one period description sounds exactly like souliers de boeuf, but unfortunately we don't have any positively identifiable examples of it to confirm. It was, however, referred to as distinct from moccasins. 

Anyhow, all that to say, these bottes sauvages and souliers de boeuf  were basically the precursors to all of the shoes and boots like that. The moccasin trade in Canada became a big deal with lots of moccasins being exported throughout northeastern America. These were presumably bottes sauvages and souliers de boeuf and not native brain tanned moccasins, because of durability. Anyhow, the style caught on in places like New York and persisted. Sperry's are basically the same as a pair of souliers de boeuf with a rubber sole blake stitched on and a few extra cuts for ease of manufacture. Those boots are basically bottes sauvages that have evolved to fit the modern consumer and modern technology.

• Hook 'Em 2

There’s a website called “The Fedora Lounge” that has a long and interesting thread on work boots, also worth a look if you’re considering a custom hat, cowboy or otherwise.  Personally, I despise those crepe soles on an outdoor boot-slick-perhaps fine for concrete. YMMV.  General consensus seems to be that Red Wings are fine boots but hell to break in/mold to your feet.  Also lots of discussion on sizing variations fro brand to brand.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've gone to a set of Irish setters I bought at a Red Wing store.  Have been comfortable since day 1, and (unfortunately) they have been just about daily wear for the last 18 months.  The last decade or so was daily ostrich/caiman/gator/elephant/pirarucu rotation.  Feels good to not have to think about fucking up your boots no matter what you are doing at the moment.  

On 12/8/2021 at 9:54 AM, Horn Draoi said:

There’s a website called “The Fedora Lounge” that has a long and interesting thread on work boots, also worth a look if you’re considering a custom hat, cowboy or otherwise.  Personally, I despise those crepe soles on an outdoor boot-slick-perhaps fine for concrete. YMMV.  General consensus seems to be that Red Wings are fine boots but hell to break in/mold to your feet.  Also lots of discussion on sizing variations fro brand to brand.

Yeah, if you're doing any kind of rock scrambling, they're less than ideal.  For trudging fields and leafy/needly forest floors, they're fine.

That's one benefit of the Thorogoods, you can order the same boot with a lug sole. Pretty sure Red Wing makes something similar with a lug sole (because I had a pair as a teen).

Been a Thorogood fan for several years now. They have a lot more arch support than the Irish Setters, which really helps with my plantar fasciitis. Big deal also, Thorogood boots are made in the US, Irish Setter not in the US. Will have to check out those Iron Rangers, good looking boot.

22 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I've had a pair of RW Iron Ranger's like these for about 5 years.  They just keep getting more comfortable and look better with age.

Iron Ranger Product image - view 5

Iron Ranger Boots 8083 | Red Wing London

Those are clean and have aged well.  Are they for work or just a daily wear?  Soles seem a little thin, so curious how they feel after being on your feet all day?

47 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Those are clean and have aged well.  Are they for work or just a daily wear?  Soles seem a little thin, so curious how they feel after being on your feet all day?

Daily wear mostly. I've worn them all day plenty of times and they've never been a problem.  I sized down on recommendation of the RW store and that was the right call.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ooo, look at the big brain on Herbie!

No shit. Got any other fancy facts that you don't think anybody else already knows?

Ooo look at the cocksucker that woke up on the wrong side of the Salvation Army cot this morning.

My apologies for not making it clear that my first sentence was simply agreeing with you and the rest of the post was directed at Frank’s inquiry about sea turtle.

6 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

My initial question about sea turtle was because I saw a used pair that was old and pre-ban.  Trying to decide whether to purchase 

My opinion is it's better to not signal demand to the market by purchasing them. Maybe you'll help reduce loggerhead poaching for people's vanity shoes.

They are a beautiful boot.

4 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

My opinion is it's better to not signal demand to the market by purchasing them. Maybe you'll help reduce loggerhead poaching for people's vanity shoes.

They are a beautiful boot.

I don't think him purchasing them second hand is going to signal anything to the market.  They are common af in Mexico, market indicators be damned.

10 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

My initial question about sea turtle was because I saw a used pair that was old and pre-ban.  Trying to decide whether to purchase 

If they are large sized and you pass on them, shoot me a DM.  

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don't think him purchasing them second hand is going to signal anything to the market.  They are common af in Mexico, market indicators be damned.

If they are large sized and you pass on them, shoot me a DM.  

They were not large, size 9D.  But if that fits, I can send you pics or contact info

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, we disagree on the market then.

I will mention it when people talk about sea turtle, pangolin, etc... boots and ALL YOU PEOPLE CAN something something moral high ground!!111!!!

Without re-reading the thread - my 16 year old twin boys feet have stopped growing and I wanted to get them a decent set of ropers for Christmas.  I was initially thinking going the Cuero/Tecova route but was also thinking thinking I'd like to get them something similar to the old school Red Wings everyone wore in high school/West Campus (back in the 80's).  Anyone know what the current "frat boy boot" style/brand the kids are wearing today? 

43 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Without re-reading the thread - my 16 year old twin boys feet have stopped growing and I wanted to get them a decent set of ropers for Christmas.  I was initially thinking going the Cuero/Tecova route but was also thinking thinking I'd like to get them something similar to the old school Red Wings everyone wore in high school/West Campus (back in the 80's).  Anyone know what the current "frat boy boot" style/brand the kids are wearing today? 

Red Wing #1155 Pecos, not the black sole 

get them ‘roomy’ and add in green super feet soles 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

@Grimas

I’m biased, get them luchesse ropers and they’ll wear them for the rest of their life 

They'll inherit a bunch of nice skins once I'm gone but I was thinking a pair of f-around first pair that they still might grow out of since both are about 4" below their expected height (but the 10.5 feet have stopped growing for at least a year) which is why I was hedging my bet with a Tecovia/Quero pair (or even the crappily made into Justin's...) as all they wear is sports shoes and sandals since they can wear shorts to school. Even a crappy pair will last for years if you only wear them 3 times a year...

5 hours ago, Grimas said:

They'll inherit a bunch of nice skins once I'm gone but I was thinking a pair of f-around first pair that they still might grow out of since both are about 4" below their expected height (but the 10.5 feet have stopped growing for at least a year) which is why I was hedging my bet with a Tecovia/Quero pair (or even the crappily made into Justin's...) as all they wear is sports shoes and sandals since they can wear shorts to school. Even a crappy pair will last for years if you only wear them 3 times a year...

At 16, I would go with Tecovas or Justin’s . They are still going to F’ them up.  Just like their first car.  Wait til they are in college to get a good pair of Lucchese.  They will appreciate them more then.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Erwin said:

At 16, I would go with Tecovas or Justin’s . They are still going to F’ them up.  Just like their first car.  Wait til they are in college to get a good pair of Lucchese.  They will appreciate them more then.

Solid take. 

I got my self a pair of Ariats for just that purpose. Had em 8 or 9 years and they’re great. 

11 hours ago, Grimas said:

If you really love them then you can go with Mike Vaughn, probably the best in custom. But I would go with real boots and not ropers.

http://mikevaughnhandmadeboots.com/

1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

This is where I was leaning especially since their feet might not yet stop growing.  My old man got me a pair of elephants when I graduated high school and I still wear them today....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Help me spend some money surly. I received a $225 gift card to tecovas. I know they aren’t the highest quality boot but are they worth buying a pair or should I just order one of their leather travel bags?

I have two pair of ostrich already as well several other just regular boots/work boots.

Appreciate the recs

18 minutes ago, cknight said:

Help me spend some money surly. I received a $225 gift card to tecovas. I know they aren’t the highest quality boot but are they worth buying a pair or should I just order one of their leather travel bags?

I have two pair of ostrich already as well several other just regular boots/work boots.

Appreciate the recs

I like my Tecovas. 

15 minutes ago, cknight said:

Appreciate the recs

I asked for a leather duffel bag for Christmas from my wife, no specific brand. She said she researched and the Tecova bag was not particularly well reviewed. 

$225 is basically a free pair of boots, more or less. If they fit you OK and you aren't going to wear them out in a couple of years, go with the boots. 

Also the boots are less pretentious.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, cknight said:

Appreciate the recs

Tecova's western style calfskin and suede boots are both $255. If you're into ropers, they're $245. 

If you're looking to spend $225 on the nose, their rubber soled ranch boot the Bandera is $225. 

Their jeans are solid, but a little pricey. 

I hope this helps. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I asked for a leather duffel bag for Christmas from my wife, no specific brand. She said she researched and the Tecova bag was not particularly well reviewed. 

$225 is basically a free pair of boots, more or less. If they fit you OK and you aren't going to wear them out in a couple of years, go with the boots. 

Also the boots are less pretentious.

Leather duffle/bag?  Take a look at Saddleback.

Saddlebackleather

Their stuff is really great quality and indestructible.  Little pricey, so not sure of your budget.  

I have their wallet and a few desk items for my office. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Leather duffle/bag?  Take a look at Saddleback.

Saddlebackleather

Their stuff is really great quality and indestructible.  Little pricey, so not sure of your budget.  

I have their wallet and a few desk items for my office. 

I love the looks of those bags.

I was wanting something more distressed looking like that - or at least more utilitarian - but my wife ended up getting me more of a purse for Christmas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

tumblr_nsyovhvYTh1rpmzovo2_400.gifv

LOL - well not quite but it's close. It's closer to a green leather Hermes purse than a Tecovas duffle bag, that's for sure. But she also did a lot of research and thinking in picking it out, so I can't complain all that much. 

image.thumb.jpeg.47a20b1b1bd98b21dde113bb1d2ec607.jpeg

That said, for my birthday this weekend she also got me a new custom leather skeet pouch from Maida's, so she did alright in the leather goods dept. 

IMG_7811.jpg.3498ed7b45df9480a42038f5cd848727.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

LOL - well not quite but it's close. It's closer to a green leather Hermes purse than a Tecovas duffle bag, that's for sure. But she also did a lot of research and thinking in picking it out, so I can't complain all that much. 

image.thumb.jpeg.47a20b1b1bd98b21dde113bb1d2ec607.jpeg

That said, for my birthday this weekend she also got me a new custom leather skeet pouch from Maida's, so she did alright in the leather goods dept. 

IMG_7811.jpg.3498ed7b45df9480a42038f5cd848727.jpg

Those are really nice