Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

23 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t disagree with your comments on BJ, and I’ve moved more towards AB lately, but less than a year ago I was looking at some ~1k luccheses and they seemed good. Probably fall somewhere between the classics and 1883, well above the 2000’s or whatever the cheap ones were several years ago.  I’m definitely not an expert like @Herbie Hancock or @NotActuallyALonghorn but I’ve been an everyday wearer of boots for last 27 years. 

Yeah, the Rios family of boots (AB, Rios, and Olathe) seem to be mostly (they also seem to have "economy" lines) top-quality off-the-shelf boots.  You didn't used to see them too often until Anderson Bean hit kind of big, but they're a little more available now.

I was just picking at Lucchese because I was disappointed with what I saw.

I have been a big fan of the AB boots, have several pair that have worn great. Kind of got bent, or so I feel like I did by AB on a pair of caiman belly. They admitted they fucked up and said they would fix it but they want to handle it through Cavenders where the boots were purchased. Cavenders manager pretty much been giving me the run around for 18 months. Long story short, I have about $1200 worth of Cavenders gift cards that will be spent on Black Jack boots at a different Cavenders location.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:18 PM, AugieBall said:

I have a pair of Tecovas alligator ropers.  They look and feel amazing.  A+

While i don't hate on Lucchesi, i have had pretty poor experiences, including a bootstrap breaking in half within a couple months of purchase.  Better than my one (and last) experience with Justin's ropers, but still more than enough not to pay the premium for Lucchesi.  

did you take them back to luchesse ?

I had a warranty issue with their store, they cut me gift card in minutes 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

did you take them back to luchesse ?

I had a warranty issue with their store, they cut me gift card in minutes 

No but i should have.  Got em at Allens Boots but lived in NYC so I couldn't often get back to Austin.  Then inertia took over.  

I have been a big fan of the AB boots, have several pair that have worn great. Kind of got bent, or so I feel like I did by AB on a pair of caiman belly. They admitted they fucked up and said they would fix it but they want to handle it through Cavenders where the boots were purchased. Cavenders manager pretty much been giving me the run around for 18 months. Long story short, I have about $1200 worth of Cavenders gift cards that will be spent on Black Jack boots at a different Cavenders location.

Which store gave you the runaround for future reference.

8 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Which store gave you the runaround for future reference.

Amarillo. Guy I’ve known and dealt with forever too. Said he ordered a new pair that should be in by last January. I call the guy at AB and he says they don’t see it but ask the Cavenders guy. Cavenders guys says he will “check”. Fuckin nada! Finally called into the store and asked to speak to whoever places custom AB boot orders, that person said they don’t have any on order for me. Fuck em!

1 minute ago, RMac5 said:

Amarillo. Guy I’ve known and dealt with forever too. Said he ordered a new pair that should be in by last January. I call the guy at AB and he says they don’t see it but ask the Cavenders guy. Cavenders guys says he will “check”. Fuckin nada! Finally called into the store and asked to speak to whoever places custom AB boot orders, that person said they don’t have any on order for me. Fuck em!

Did you ever speak to TJ the store manager?

No I didn’t, will call him in the morning. I wonder if AB expects the Cavenders sales person or manager to eat their part of this deal. 

I had a pair of the AB caiman belly boots. I noticed after having them a year or more that the inseam from the counter to the vamp was never sewn from the factory. I took them to Cavenders to see what needed to happen. They said they would send them to AB and get them fixed at no charge since it was a mfgr defect. They asked if I wanted soles and heels done while they had them, didn’t really think they needed replacing but figured who better to do it than AB and might as well let them do it while they had them. So AB sends my boots back with new soles and heels and a charge of $$$ whatever. But, they didn’t fix the vamp/counter stitching. So they send them back to AB and several weeks later I get them back. Now they have very small pin holes in the leather caiman part on the foot of the boot. I really thought some type of worm had eaten into the skin, was all over both boots. AB said it was faulty leather but they could fix them. After several weeks back at AB they send them to me. They looked great initially but after a few weeks the skin started tearing, looked way worse than the original pin holes. AB told me they glued them to try and repair the pin holes. They went on to eventually say the never should of tried gluing them, that just dried out the skins and made them tear worse. Asked me what I wanted to do, told them I would split a new pair with them. I said I didn’t feel like they owed me a new pair at no charge since I had worn them a year or more but did feel like a $600 pair of boots should last a lot longer than that. They said go order whatever I wanted at Cavenders and they would make it right. Been about 18 months or more and I am no closer to having this resolved. I really think I will just move on to Black Jack boots and be done with AB. BJ’s are better anyway :)

That’s absolutely ridiculous and a damn shame. Stop dealing with whatever slapdick you have been and request to speak to TJ. He has the power to make everything right with the click of a mouse and a phone call. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with an absolute bonehead up to this point. Abilene, Midland and Amarillo stores move more AB’s in a year than the rest of the chain combined. Cavender’s is the largest purveyor of AB in the world; they say jump and AB says how high? Again, go to TJ.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will do that this week, should be back in Amarillo tomorrow.  I appreciate the help and the info. Have you been in Cavenders lately? Their AB selection is shit, very few AB boots and no exotics at all. I have been in multiple stores trying to find a replacement pair and they just don’t have any. 

will call TJ and see what he has to say. Thanks again for the help.

Yeah it’s not what it used to be. I helped build store #44 and 45 and when I left they only had 48 total and only two outside the state of Texas. Now I believe they’re approaching 90 stores and in a dozen states. There was a time when it was the place to go. I’ve shaped hats for some legendary people, custom fit Larry Allen in a pair for a pair of boots, and now it appears they’re more in synch with the Kane Brown and Koe Wetzel crowd these days than people who actually wear things for functionality and not “fashion”. #endrant #getoffmylawn

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

I’ve had enough so I’m gonna say it and I’m not sorry if anyone is offended. Tecovas is not a cowboy boot and they don’t belong in this thread. They’re a fashion shoe made for people that listen to Jon Pardi and wear boot cut jeans.

This.  I refuse to shop Tecovas anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, smwhorn said:

This.  I refuse to shop Tecovas anymore.  

Yep.  I own a pair of Luch's in case I need to wear boots for a social setting.  Otherwise, when I'm at the ranch or working outside, it's Ariats that are scuffed and beat to hell.  One pair are square toe work boots with a Vibram sole and the other is the Heritage Roughstock with the longer heel to hold a stirrup if I'm riding and the saddle vamp.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to disagree with anything he said there. It's a nicely made boot, as it should be for that price, but the price is pretty steep for the quality. No question they are trying to steer themselves towards the luxury market where the price point and quality point are not at all balanced. The one thing I would add, is that while the interior pigskin liner may have been cheaper and torn a bit on the grain during the lasting, that tear isn't likely to be detrimental, and pigskin is a great lining because it has more pores than other leathers and should be more breathable. Belly leather is more flexible and stretchy, so it makes sense that they would use it for an area where they can't really see or control what is going on during the lasting process. I would be more worried about what looked to be wrinkles in the lining and how they might affect comfort, but it is hard to judge that without the boot (or half of it) in hand. They seem like nice boots, but again, for the price you are paying a significant amount of money for the name. You would think that they would pay a little more attention to some of the details if they really want to position themselves as a premier luxury brand.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, MeerkatBong said:

Tecovas has become completely insufferable with their spam emails and new lines of overly priced, made for Austin influencer crap (crappy hats, shirts, jeans/denim, etc.) I guess we see where the VC money has gone but in my opinion it’s hurting the brand.

So much this. I’m going to Lucchese where they have reasonable $600 puffer jackets and $200 jeans for real Texans. None of this hipster Tecovas bullshit. 😐

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...
I like to watch this youtube channel, the guy owns a leather company and he gets popular sneakers and boots and cuts them in half to show you what the quality is really like. He just did a Tony Lama vs Tecovas video, I found it interesting. 

The best thing about that video is that bad ass pocket knife!

What is everyone’s goto, everyday boot? Red Wings got rid of my trusty ole frat boot model with the short heel, so I am looking for something new, or I get the red wings with the taller heel. During the winter I wear boots 75% of the time and looking for something like a red wing that will break in well and last a while. 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

53 minutes ago, fluff said:

What is everyone’s goto, everyday boot? Red Wings got rid of my trusty ole frat boot model with the short heel, so I am looking for something new, or I get the red wings with the taller heel. During the winter I wear boots 75% of the time and looking for something like a red wing that will break in well and last a while. 

No they didn't.  They still make the 1178 although I understand it can be hard to find outside Texas. https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/soft-toe/nailseat-01178.html

However, as a similar "feel" boot, that is more Western, no doubt less durable, much easier to break in and more comfortable, take a look at these.  https://www.cavenders.com/justin-mens-tekno-crepe-coffee-and-black-westerner-round-toe-cowboy-boots/JUS05008.html?msclkid=28a4422f216d119da4e32147537a4a66&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart Shopping Campaign - Catch All&utm_term=4581939839760626&utm_content=Catch All&gclid=28a4422f216d119da4e32147537a4a66&gclsrc=3p.ds

I kind of took a flyer on them as knockaround boots and have been pleased.  Weirdly, I have gotten probably as many compliments on them as any boot I have ever owned, including some pretty nice exotics.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Damn.

I'm going to disagree with video homey up there.  You don't need a plastic toe box to get an "X" toe or roach killer.  They've been around for decades before plastics were used in boot construction.  It just takes more time to form it of leather, and skill.

Lucchese may be unremarkable, but I just checked the Berkshire-Hathaway boots sites, and they're terribad looking and mostly Chinese. Tony Lama doesn't even make their classic stockman boots anymore.  Gross.

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No they didn't.  They still make the 1178 although I understand it can be hard to find outside Texas. https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/soft-toe/nailseat-01178.html

However, as a similar "feel" boot, that is more Western, no doubt less durable, much easier to break in and more comfortable, take a look at these.  https://www.cavenders.com/justin-mens-tekno-crepe-coffee-and-black-westerner-round-toe-cowboy-boots/JUS05008.html?msclkid=28a4422f216d119da4e32147537a4a66&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart Shopping Campaign - Catch All&utm_term=4581939839760626&utm_content=Catch All&gclid=28a4422f216d119da4e32147537a4a66&gclsrc=3p.ds

I kind of took a flyer on them as knockaround boots and have been pleased.  Weirdly, I have gotten probably as many compliments on them as any boot I have ever owned, including some pretty nice exotics.

Thanks, will give those a look.

in regards to the 1178, the lady at the red wing store said they have been discontinued. They still have some in the larger and smaller sizes that aren’t popular, which jives with what is shown online, but apparently arent making any.

I have been wearing 1178s since 1994, so sad to see them go.

I'm assuming that because you want to replace a pair of Redwings you are looking for a comfortable workbook knockaround style, and I can't really help you there. Maybe try some of the crepe sole styles made by the majors. But if you want to go with more traditional style leather soled construction, gor try on some Anderson Beans. You may not be a fan of the square toe style that pretty much all of their boots are, but they are probably going to be the most comfortable leather soled boots you can find without going custom.

9 hours ago, fluff said:

Thanks, will give those a look.

in regards to the 1178, the lady at the red wing store said they have been discontinued. They still have some in the larger and smaller sizes that aren’t popular, which jives with what is shown online, but apparently arent making any.

I have been wearing 1178s since 1994, so sad to see them go.

Where were you when you were told this?  That's apparently been a rumor quoted as fact outside Texas for a couple of decades.

They have off and on been out of RW's general catalog, currently on.  And apparently they make them in limited runs mostly for orders through non-RW outlets and Texas RW outlets.

If you know your size, you can probably find them somewhere online at least.  And, I don't think they're ever going away completely, although they may be hard to find at times.

Speaking of which, in the mid-80s, when I started at UT, there was a very similar boot made by Justin, down even to the cork-rubber sole.  But the leather was rough-out, which made for a pretty cool look, I thought.  Those were discontinued by Justin at that point and have never returned.  Bummer.

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Where were you when you were told this?  That's apparently been a rumor quoted as fact outside Texas for a couple of decades.

They have off and on been out of RW's general catalog, currently on.  And apparently they make them in limited runs mostly for orders through non-RW outlets and Texas RW outlets.

If you know your size, you can probably find them somewhere online at least.  And, I don't think they're ever going away completely, although they may be hard to find at times.

Speaking of which, in the mid-80s, when I started at UT, there was a very similar boot made by Justin, down even to the cork-rubber sole.  But the leather was rough-out, which made for a pretty cool look, I thought.  Those were discontinued by Justin at that point and have never returned.  Bummer.

Was told that last week by the gal at the Red Wing store over on Brodie in Austin...She claims it is due to very little demand outside Texas and Oklahoma...

I will probably just end up with a pair of the 1155s.

On 11/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, fluff said:

I wear Ariat most days.  I think I've cycled through these about every 18 months.  Rubber sole which works well given that I'm in construction.  

https://www.ariat.com/SPORT_HERDSMAN_M_FOO.html?dwvar_SPORT__HERDSMAN__M__FOO_width=D_Medium

And, I can now vouch for Alvie's.  Got my first pair a few weeks ago.  Good price.  Great service.  Good looking boots.  Owner is a super solid guy and a Texas State grad.

https://www.alvies.com/

On 11/7/2022 at 10:53 AM, fluff said:

Was told that last week by the gal at the Red Wing store over on Brodie in Austin...She claims it is due to very little demand outside Texas and Oklahoma...

I will probably just end up with a pair of the 1155s.

That’s a bummer if the 1178 is discontinued.  I’ll check with the Red Wing store near my house in Tulsa and see if they know anything.  I still got a couple of pairs but one is in dire need of resole as well.  

37 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Ordered two pair of Black Jack boots today. Had gift cards to burn and was ready for some new kicks. They didn’t have my size so they are shipping from another location, hope to get them this week. This is my first pair of Black Jacks.

Sweet.  They seem to be one of the best boots going these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Boot adjacent - was glad to get down to Austin for Thanksgiving because my every day belt for the past 14 years finally stretched too much to be wearable, and was starting to crack pretty heavily in a few spots anyways. It’s actually pretty hard to find this belt not in Texas, I think (in a store where you can examine it, as you would want to do with a strip of croc). Somewhat skeptical that “the belt is too long” will become the problem as I approach 40, but that’s a goal.

178CD6A3-67EC-4E9D-90AE-3C705F006A1C.thumb.jpeg.1f32b4c908f6e79bab4515d7b9add4b6.jpeg

My Black Jacks are incredible. Ii had them measure my feet at Texas Boot Company in Bastrop,  then make the boots. One of my feet is close to 1/2 inch longer than the other and I was wondering if the boots would reflect this, too. They do. Of course nobody would ever notice it

As for everyday wear, Chisos knocks it out of the park in terms of comfort and durability.

• Hook 'Em 4

Received my Black Jacks last week, not sure but I might need to go up a half size. Looking forward to getting the size dialed in, they run a little different than the Beans I have been wearing. Love the boots but want to try a half size bigger before I settle. The Jacks don’t have any type of insole which my Beans do, makes them fit a little different.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody have any recommendations for a round toe western style boot with a vibram or slip resistant rubber sole? Looking for an everyday boot to wear in an office setting but I’m in and out of shop/warehouse at my job also and would like a cowboy/western boot look over the traditional work boot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a round toe western style boot with a vibram or slip resistant rubber sole? Looking for an everyday boot to wear in an office setting but I’m in and out of shop/warehouse at my job also and would like a cowboy/western boot look over the traditional work boot. 

I have a pair of these. Bought them when they were $150. Added green super soles and never looked back. Extreme boot comfort. Can wear all day with zero issues. They age very well too, look great with jeans 

78B3BC91-F5F1-4D2A-A3D0-A454B8E1212A.jpeg.2906b09004bd9921ae500d9e0b76ff90.jpeg

https://www.krsaddleshop.com/Custom-King-Ranch-Work-Boots

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I have a pair of these. Bought them when they were $150. Added green super soles and never looked back. Extreme boot comfort. Can wear all day with zero issues. They age very well too, look great with jeans 

78B3BC91-F5F1-4D2A-A3D0-A454B8E1212A.jpeg.2906b09004bd9921ae500d9e0b76ff90.jpeg

https://www.krsaddleshop.com/Custom-King-Ranch-Work-Boots

Yea looks like double H makes them, they’ve been the only one I can really find that I like. Thinking about going with this pair from Cavenders. 

https://www.cavenders.com/double-h-mens-old-town-folklore-oily-tan-ice-round-toe-cowboy-boots/DH8552.html?dwvar_DH8552_color=229&cgid=mens-round-toe-boots