Avenue 5 : House in Space on HBO

Michael Knight

• 1 month later...

Wow, you are very flexible. That's broken, isn't it?

They turned the moon into a jail. They patented liquid gloves. How hard can it be?

Are you Australian?

I'm English.

Oh my God, that's so much more worse.

Edited by RPM

I tried to watch this.  I kept hoping it would get better.  It was like a weak parody of the Love Boat with absolutely terrible acting (intentional?).  The wife made me turn it off about 2/3 through it (made it tough to watch with her asking me to change the channel over and over again until I finally relented).

I do love Hugh Laurie, and the scene with him slipping in and out of his American (or British depending on perspective) was entertaining.  But that was about it.

Jared from Silicon Valley seemed to be a one note part as did Josh Gad.

Maybe it will get better.  For now I'm out.

19 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I tried to watch this.  I kept hoping it would get better.  It was like a weak parody of the Love Boat with absolutely terrible acting (intentional?).  The wife made me turn it off about 2/3 through it (made it tough to watch with her asking me to change the channel over and over again until I finally relented).

I do love Hugh Laurie, and the scene with him slipping in and out of his American (or British depending on perspective) was entertaining.  But that was about it.

Jared from Silicon Valley seemed to be a one note part as did Josh Gad.

Maybe it will get better.  For now I'm out.

It came off as so thrown-together.  It felt like they just went with the first dress after read-through.  Bad timing, wooden delivery, everyone seemed off-balance.  As if everyone had a few minutes to quickly do this thing, and then they had somewhere else to be.

Not sure it would have been very good if they had tightened it up, but it certainly would have helped.

enjoyed it.  problem is -- i don't know why.  maybe because of my bias towards the actors.  maybe because the dialog is subtle and not in-your-face funny.  i don't know. the setting and story are over the top but i found the jokes (not really jokes but dialog) funny and on point.  kinda reminds me of a more subtle spaceballs, but that's a huge stretch.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who is the half price jack black?

Josh Gad. I get the series concept. (Forgive my CRish analogy) It's a Trump Hotel in space. Incompetent people in power because they got good ratings. Pompous rich passengers rattling sabres. The problem is the funny doesn't overpower the annoying. Unless they fix that, this is a one and done.

Edited by RPM

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I like it.  Humor is subtle.  Kind of a poor man's Arrested Development.

Yeah, starting to hit some stride a bit.

Last week was better, this week's wasn't as good.  Wtf was the point of Himesh Patel? 

It’s basically 20+ minutes of slapstick humor. Couldn’t get through the 1st episode when it came out. A couple weeks later I was in a different mood and gave it another shot. Expected little and was presently surprised at how fast it grew on me. A lot of the one-liners are random af, but still timed pretty good for the most part. I don’t think it’ll be too memorable in general, but it’s really not a bad show imo.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm in.  It is pretty meh, but I'm in on The Outsider and this is a quick palate cleanser afterwards.  I don't understand why no one mentions food or water rations, or maybe they have and I haven't been paying much attention.

Dude, they are already out of tiramisu.  Have some fucking sympathy. 

• Like 2