I Am Writing A Book-Opiate Epidemic (Help)

Hello! I rarely plug things on here or social media but I feel like this is the time to do it. I posted about this in the “I am an alcoholic thread” so I’m sorry if this is redundant for some of you. Like the title states, I am writing a book and could use some help from the best online community. I have a publisher, two editors, basically everything I need-it isn’t some writing a book on a whim. 

I have struggled with opiates for most of my adult life. It started with pain killers from a back injury from sports. At that point, I knew I loved the feeling that opiates brought on. I didn’t know that feeling would change my life forever. After struggling with it, in and out of jail, homeless, and so on, I finally got actual treatment (not drug treatment while incarcerated) 3 years ago. I was able to get 11.5 months after that but eventually relapsed. During that sobriety, I was re-introduced to an incredible professor that was doing a business class where students don’t study for grades, they write books so when they graduate they have something to show for their work-a tangible “grade” and leg up in the resume race. He knew my family for a long time and knew my story. He had been affected by addiction with people in his family and wanted me to tell my story partly because it kinda covers a lot of the bases and wants to see change in this often overlooked area of society. At that time, the book was on the general topic of “addiction”. To cut this short, after a couple of relapses, some lucky to be alive events, and a couple new treatments, I am about to get another 6 months sober and started writing again a few months back. I will be publishing in June 2020. 

Here’s where I need the help of surly. I’m looking to speak with anyone that has been impacted by an opiate addiction. Whether it’s an addict, someone that knows/loves an addict, family friend to someone that has died/overdoes from opiates, anyone that works with opiate addicts,  a good therapist that works in this area, a lawyer in this field, etc. If you know anyone, please direct message me. I’m not doing this book to try to make money, when my editor asked what I was trying to do I said,” I want one person to come up to me and say that the book helped save _____ life. Just one life”. That’s my goal and hopefully surly can help as it usually goes. If you don’t know anyone, you can also help by messaging me what you would like to read in a book about this crisis. I got the deal because I have an interesting story so there will be an aspect that is engaging to the reader-kind of a million little pieces-ish-as well as stories of others, some research, interviews and facts. I don’t want it to be too formal and not interesting to read. I know reading on a horrible epidemic isn’t the most “fun” to read so I am asking what people would like to learn more about and what in general would make you pick up a book like this. If you have seen any articles, clips in shows or movies, Ted talks, videos, podcasts, anything like those where you have heard an interesting take or facts about opiates, please let me know. Lastly, if you post anywhere else where people would be willing to help, please share anywhere. Thank you in advance! Any help or just well wishes of encouragement would really mean a lot. It’s difficult enough saying that you’re an addict in recovery to strangers but it’s downright terrifying to broadcast it to the world. Im glad to be a part of this incredible community Im glad to be sober another day. Thank you!

• Like 3

Best thing I've heard:  "A drunk will steal your money.  An addict will steal your money and help you look for it".  

It isn't about opiates but I really liked Sarah Hepola's book, "Blackout:  Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget".  I heard about it through Rhett Miller.  I guess he knew her when she was working at the Observer.  She went to school at UT.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Are you focusing on big Pharma opioids?  

I am taking a look at when the fda added basically cornstarch to OxyContin to make stronger pain killers “abuse proof”. This created a huge increase in heroin use because addicts could no longer get pills to use and the price skyrocketed so heroin was the best option. 

You have probably already digested Jonathan Hari's, "Chasing the Scream."  If not, here is the nutshell: 

What if everything you think you know about addiction is wrong? One of Johann Hari’s earliest memories is of trying to wake up one of his relatives and not be able to. As he grew older, he realized he had addiction in his family. Confused, unable to know what to do, he set out on a three-year, 30,000-mile journey to discover what really causes addiction – and what really solves it. He uncovered a range of remarkable human stories – of how the war on drugs began with Billie Holiday, the great jazz singer, being stalked and killed by a racist policeman; of the scientist who discovered the surprising key to addiction; and of the countries that ended their war on drugs – with extraordinary results.

This is the story of a life-changing journey that showed the world the opposite of addiction is connection.  http://chasingthescream.com

And to your list of people to talk to, you should seek out a chronic pain patient who needs pain medication and has difficulty getting the medication because of addicts who abuse the medication. They are caught in the middle of the hysterical war on opiates and the addicts who abuse the medications they need so dearly. They are the hidden victims in the clash between addicts and drug warriors. Many are choosing suicide rather than unending pain. 

Congratulations on your sobriety. 

• Like 1

There was a pretty good 60 Minutes look at Purdue Pharma and opiate addiction a couple of years back.

I'm pretty certain one of my best buddies from HS/College died of an accidental heroin overdose because he was no longer able to get the prescribed meds for a couple of botched shoulder surgeries (he got MRSA and nearly died on one of them). Trouble is it's never been confirmed and I can't put you in touch with his wife for that reason.

Best of luck to you on the book and, more importantly, on your recovery. This epidemic pisses me off to no end.

Edited by C-Man

Agree with Washpark.  I didn't want to shit on you or your thread as you've obviously been through a lot.  It just really sucks that some get caught in the middle.  Summer of 2018 I herniated a disc in my back.  My medical plan/doctors are extremely averse to prescribing anything opiatic.  I was bedridden for 2 weeks and was told to go to physical therapy.  

I have no history of any type of abuse and hadn't even had a prescrip for pain for 3 years.  I figured that was what the "system" was for - a way to prevent doctor-shopping and abuse.  

• Like 1

You have probably already digested Jonathan Hari's, "Chasing the Scream."  If not, here is the nutshell: 

What if everything you think you know about addiction is wrong? One of Johann Hari’s earliest memories is of trying to wake up one of his relatives and not be able to. As he grew older, he realized he had addiction in his family. Confused, unable to know what to do, he set out on a three-year, 30,000-mile journey to discover what really causes addiction – and what really solves it. He uncovered a range of remarkable human stories – of how the war on drugs began with Billie Holiday, the great jazz singer, being stalked and killed by a racist policeman; of the scientist who discovered the surprising key to addiction; and of the countries that ended their war on drugs – with extraordinary results.

This is the story of a life-changing journey that showed the world the opposite of addiction is connection.  http://chasingthescream.com

And to your list of people to talk to, you should seek out a chronic pain patient who needs pain medication and has difficulty getting the medication because of addicts who abuse the medication. They are caught in the middle of the hysterical war on opiates and the addicts who abuse the medications they need so dearly. They are the hidden victims in the clash between addicts and drug warriors. Many are choosing suicide rather than unending pain. 

Congratulations on your sobriety. 

I have experience with this if you’re open to including these types of stories in your book.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:14 PM, washparkhorn said:

I have experience with this as a health care professional. Pharmacy chains like Walgreens and CVS got busted giving out opioids to pill mills (largely because they overwork their pharmacists and because of that we don't have the time to police prescriptions) so they created a policy designed to CYA but it's a major inconvenience to patients. Walgreens in particular has a policy called Good Faith Dispensing where they document everything and anything before they'll dispense meds for chronic pain. If you get too high of a dose or get certain drugs they want the diagnosis code from the physician, date of treatment, length of treatment, treatments that have been tried and failed, how they're monitoring you, and they hold you until the day you run out. They've essentially turned chronic pain patients into slaves to the pharmacy. It's really sad and why I'm glad I don't work for corporate pharmacy anymore

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:51 AM, hullabelew said:

Best thing I've heard:  "A drunk will steal your money.  An addict will steal your money and help you look for it".  

It isn't about opiates but I really liked Sarah Hepola's book, "Blackout:  Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget".  I heard about it through Rhett Miller.  I guess he knew her when she was working at the Observer.  She went to school at UT.  

Ha.  Late one night in Deep Elum, I was sitting in my truck in a parking lot while some sketchy looking guys where talking besides a car next to me.  They couldn't see me and they were yelling at one of their compadres, "I can't believe you lost an ounce of crack!"  "Where did you last have it?" 

"I don't know man, I think over in that other parking lot."

"Well get your ass over there and keep looking for it!"

As soon as the guy went around the corner, the other dudes squatted down and started smoking away at that guy's crack, giggling all the time.

I have experience with this as a health care professional. Pharmacy chains like Walgreens and CVS got busted giving out opioids to pill mills (largely because they overwork their pharmacists and because of that we don't have the time to police prescriptions) so they created a policy designed to CYA but it's a major inconvenience to patients. Walgreens in particular has a policy called Good Faith Dispensing where they document everything and anything before they'll dispense meds for chronic pain. If you get too high of a dose or get certain drugs they want the diagnosis code from the physician, date of treatment, length of treatment, treatments that have been tried and failed, how they're monitoring you, and they hold you until the day you run out. They've essentially turned chronic pain patients into slaves to the pharmacy. It's really sad and why I'm glad I don't work for corporate pharmacy anymore

Seriously????

God, it’s bad enough for chronic pain patients but that seems way overboard.

Thank god for my local mom and pop pharmacy.

My physician would tell a pharmacy to fuck off if they wanted him to justify his medical judgment like that.

Actually, I’ve gotten a script filled at Walgreens occasionally if it’s after mine closes or on a Sunday but they’ve never required any of that.