Greatest live cover

jimmyjazz

This cover is absolutely not the greatest live cover of all time, but I love it. It's right when Eddie and Sammy first started playing together, before anything was recorded for 5150. You can just tell on both of their faces that they are having a blast and that they know this new iteration of VH is going to be huge. 

• Like 1

I.m not going to sit here and say anything is the "greatest", but one of my favorite artists...Jack White, rips a ton of covers.

Death Letter- Son House

Stop Breakin Down- Robert Johnson

Jolene- Dolly Parton

Are Friends Electric- Gary Numan

I just Don't know what to do with Myself- Burt Bacharach

Can't find a live version, but here's audio

2 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

This cover is absolutely not the greatest live cover of all time, but I love it. It's right when Eddie and Sammy first started playing together, before anything was recorded for 5150. You can just tell on both of their faces that they are having a blast and that they know this new iteration of VH is going to be huge. 

I'm hardly a fan of Sammy's songwriting, but he can play and he can definitely sing.  Looks like they were having a blast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm hardly a fan of Sammy's songwriting, but he can play and he can definitely sing.  Looks like they were having a blast.

Yeah there are a couple of moments in that video where Sammy just clearly is blown away by Eddie's guitar work and must be thinking "holy shit I just hit the goldmine with this dude" (the close up after Eddie finishes his solo is a good example).

I'm not the hugest Sammy fan either but when live acts do good covers with good energy, I find myself liking them a little more. 

I’m probably the biggest Sammy fan around these parts. Love that video.

I’ve seen Sammy do Zeppelin covers live about half a dozen times or so. Always great. Probably my favorite was Whole Lotta Love with Ted Nugent and Rik Emmett at the Texas Jam.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 7:10 AM, honolulu horn said:

VH was great on that first 5150 tour when Sammy got to play guitar too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 3:43 AM, BoomMF said:

The feels I get when he breaks down at the end... Powerful moment given his life's trajectory.

And it's a great live cover.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

I feel very fortunate to have seen Rodriguez live. It was a phenomenal experience. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I feel very fortunate to have seen Rodriguez live. It was a phenomenal experience. 

I've been checking out his upcoming tour page and it's been a while since there's been any activity. I hope I didn't miss the window, but looking at some vids of his most recent performances, that window is closing pretty damn fast regardless. I picked up both his LPs recently so did what little I could to give back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just to trigger the haters, two artists that are seemingly always cool to shit on: Bruce and the Bee Gees.

Covered live in Australia in '14. Bruce and an extra large E Street turn the disco mega hit Stayin' Alive to it's inner city blues roots. Massive fill of horns, Tom Morello soloing, and a string section--that's very easy on the eye--take this one to eleven.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 something years ago I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for my 1st time and somewhere during the end or an encore they covered Them's "Gloria". I dont know if it was the best cover of all time, but it was pretty damn fun. I still remember it. I found this on YouTube, different night but pretty much how i remember it.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:34 AM, hullabelew said:

Saw them do this live.  Stunning.  The show was announced as Gillian, David and three to be named later.    They didn't introduce the band at first, but the buzz started going around when people realized it was John Paul Jones on mandolin.  They took an intermissions break about 45 in.  When they came back out, and the applause died down, it was deathly quiet.  One dude says, in a very stoner voice, "That's John Paul fuckin' Jones, man."  

Is that Willie Watson on guitar?

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I could have sworn I posted this

It's definitely been posted on surly before, because that's how I first saw it.  While I'm of course aware of both artists, I never spent much energy listening to either.  That clip is stunning, though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I think we have talked about this but I get chills every time I hear this song.  It seems that Brandi and the twins took more from the Mick Ronson version (Tumbleweed Connection) than the Davey Johnstone version from the "Madman" album.

She just fucking NAILS this.  

She is such a fantastic singer.  Probably the best of her generation.  Maybe Adele is in the conversation.

Adele is absolutely in that conversation.

While we’re on the topic of female covers of old school Elton John songs… this one isn’t necessarily the best live cover ever, but I think it’s pretty cool - great guitar fills. We actually kind of cover this version

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Adele is absolutely in that conversation.

Yeah, there are a few.  Some I just don't really dig -- Ariana Grande comes to mind, not a big fan but she is a tremendous singer -- Brandi just brings the whole thing, every night.  Christina is just a year older than Brandi, she can definitely bring it.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1