Greatest live cover

jimmyjazz

Joan's great, her breakthrough album is still in my regular rotation, but if she's being offered up as part of the Brandi/Adele generation, she's nearly two decades older.

Norah's awesome too, although I think of her more as a songwriter than a singer.  I mean, she sings great, but she doesn't have a ton of range.  Massive talent, to be sure.

Joan's great, her breakthrough album is still in my regular rotation, but if she's being offered up as part of the Brandi/Adele generation, she's nearly two decades older.
Norah's awesome too, although I think of her more as a songwriter than a singer.  I mean, she sings great, but she doesn't have a ton of range.  Massive talent, to be sure.

There’s something about Norah’s voice that just does it for me. One of my all timers.

Here’s another favorite cover

Why the guitar player sings the second verse I’ll never understand.
  • Like 2

I'm a well-known Miley fanboy, I think she is criminally underrated.  Check out this cover of "Wildflowers".  Her pitch is impeccable and her range is surprisingly broad.  Most think of her as a smoky alto, but she can hit the soprano register with ease, so stick around for the break and the outro.  I look forward to seeing what she does in the decades to come.

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 5/11/2023 at 11:16 AM, tbone_ said:

Adele is absolutely in that conversation.

While we’re on the topic of female covers of old school Elton John songs… this one isn’t necessarily the best live cover ever, but I think it’s pretty cool - great guitar fills. We actually kind of cover this version

Pioneertown is in the middle of fucking nowhere in the CA desert.  The venue is "Pappy and Harriet's".   It's the kind of place where guys ride two hours on their harleys to get drunk.

McCartney played a show there a few years back.  Only announced on the day of the show. 

Can’t remember the last time I heard this, but then heard it playing playing softly in the background of Bullet strain. I suddenly flashed back to reclining in the back seat of my folk’s ‘74 Dodge Coronet as they were sipping Jax beers at Ann’s Drive Inn on State Line Blvd.

It sounded so plaintive, yet soothing and stuck somewhere in the back of my tiny brain.

So, here is a Spanish language cover of a loosely translated English language cover of a 1963 Japanese language smash hit.

Selena-Sukiyaki

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Metallica covering Am I Evil? but with James on drums, Lars on vocals, Jason on guitar, and Kirk on bass.  Starts around the 2:00 mark.

Despite that being damn near awful, I find it interesting that James Hetfield is a better drummer than Lars Ulrich.

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy crap, fIREHOSE covered Superchunk?

And Blue Oyster Cult, Wire, Public Enemy, and Butthole Surfers - just on that one EP.  The Minutemen covered everyone from Steely Dan to Van Halen, CCR, Richard Hell, Meat Puppets, and The Who.

Edited by SizzleChest

22 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

And Blue Oyster Cult, Wire, Public Enemy, and Butthole Surfers - just on that one EP.  The Minutemen covered everyone from Steely Dan to Van Halen, CCR, Richard Hell, Meat Puppets, and The Who.

Probably a repeat:  I went to see fIREHOSE on their "Flyin' The Flannel" tour at Liberty Lunch.  I wanted some merch, and guess who was manning the merch table early that evening?  Mike Watt.  I picked out a t-shirt, asked him to sign it, which he did (I still have it, but the sig is long faded).  Then I asked if they were playing my favorite tune from the record, which was "Anti-Misogyny Maneuver", so he checked his set list and apologized "nah man, looks like not tonight".  OK, that's cool.

They played a rippin' set, came out for the encore, and I swear to God Mike said "hey, we want to dedicate this song to our new friend Jimmy" and guess what they played?

That's right, my own secret dedication by a great band who didn't know me from Adam.  Here's the song for those who don't know it.  What a band.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Probably a repeat:  I went to see fIREHOSE on their "Flyin' The Flannel" tour at Liberty Lunch.  I wanted some merch, and guess who was manning the merch table early that evening?  Mike Watt.  I picked out a t-shirt, asked him to sign it, which he did (I still have it, but the sig is long faded).  Then I asked if they were playing my favorite tune from the record, which was "Anti-Misogyny Maneuver", so he checked his set list and apologized "nah man, looks like not tonight".  OK, that's cool.

They played a rippin' set, came out for the encore, and I swear to God Mike said "hey, we want to dedicate this song to our new friend Jimmy" and guess what they played?

That's right, my own secret dedication by a great band who didn't know me from Adam.  Here's the song for those who don't know it.  What a band.

I was there, too.  Brought stogies for Watt (he called 'em 'gars) and some Lone Stars.  Used to get the Firehose newsletter and brought one for him to sign.  Asked if he was recovered from a bad UTI on the road  (he had described it in the newsletter, saying he "constantly had a hot water bottle on the (his) ball".  Also told the infamous story about the time he got diarrhea so bad on the road touring with REM, he cinched up his pants at the bottom before he went on stage because he couldn't stop shitting.  I told him we call those MC Hammer 7 day shitter pants.  He erupted in laughter.

Drank and smoked up for awhile.  We asked if he had any other merch and screamed "Kira, Kira, go grab the box from the van and bring it here".  Kira, of course, was his now ex-wife and ex-Black Flag bassist Kira Roessler.  Watt's such a good dude.  Good times.

• Like 1