2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

The blinking cursor mocks me. I don't have any good answers to why we can't seem to get and keep pitching. Nor why the game has morphed into all or nothing at bats. It irritates me no end that a player would rather swing and miss than slap it the opposite way or GOD FORBID GET A BUNT. 

small ball is dead and that grieves me. Apparently there is no need to pay a player like Ty Cobb or Ichiro that you cannot fucking get out because they are going to hit it one way or the other. 

I don't know that firing JD is going to fix anything. I don't know if tearing it all down and starting from scratch is going to either. Beltre did not want to leave and I think I understand why a little better now. He was the last man standing between the younger guys and the Banny rooster boosterism. Jingoistic BS only lasts so long and then it falls on deaf ears. Never quit?. 

Yeah it was a good slogan for the fans but it don't mean shit to the players. They are going to be out there grinding for the whole year and then go do it again the next spring. I am not saying we gotta get Skateboard Man as a coach, but they have to be able to believe in what the man is saying. 

Don't forget the shrug of Josh when he kept whiffing and missing the easy play. Wash left, let him go to wherever he goes. It will solve nothing to bring him back. 

I don't mind if we wander in the wilderness for a few years. Tear it down to the foundation and start over. It's where we are heading anyhow. Might as well embrace it.

Dear God I sound like Brisket

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

The blinking cursor mocks me. I don't have any good answers to why we can't seem to get and keep pitching. Nor why the game has morphed into all or nothing at bats. It irritates me no end that a player would rather swing and miss than slap it the opposite way or GOD FORBID GET A BUNT. 

small ball is dead and that grieves me. Apparently there is no need to pay a player like Ty Cobb or Ichiro that you cannot fucking get out because they are going to hit it one way or the other. 

I don't know that firing JD is going to fix anything. I don't know if tearing it all down and starting from scratch is going to either. Beltre did not want to leave and I think I understand why a little better now. He was the last man standing between the younger guys and the Banny rooster boosterism. Jingoistic BS only lasts so long and then it falls on deaf ears. Never quit?. 

Yeah it was a good slogan for the fans but it don't mean shit to the players. They are going to be out there grinding for the whole year and then go do it again the next spring. I am not saying we gotta get Skateboard Man as a coach, but they have to be able to believe in what the man is saying. 

Don't forget the shrug of Josh when he kept whiffing and missing the easy play. Wash left, let him go to wherever he goes. It will solve nothing to bring him back. 

I don't mind if we wander in the wilderness for a few years. Tear it down to the foundation and start over. It's where we are heading anyhow. Might as well embrace it.

Dear God I sound like Brisket

Good post. Kinda my feelings. Been a Ranger fan since they've been here. Never thought I would see them in a Series. Maybe they will win one some day. Baseball can be frustrating. 

No game would be complete without Martin giving up a late inning winning home run.

Profar hits another, btw. Wouldn't mind seeing them get rid of Andrus. Gallo reached 40 hr last night. Very few players every had 2 consecutive 40hr seasons by age 25. (I think that was the deal) They were all names like Willy Mays. (He also  watched the winning homer bounce off the top of the wall. It was catch-able.) Odor's hitting is back to shit. It's looking like a long climb to get out of this hole.

Hope Beltre returns - healthy.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:51 AM, TheFlagship said:

We’ve improved our draft position this month at least. I swear everyone on the team made a 9am tee time for Monday and is mailing it in until then. 

Did they? I was looking at the standings last night and it seemed like everyone that was worse than the Rangers is still worse record than the Rangers.

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 hours ago, Post Oak said:
Last game for Adrian Beltre.  I'm sad.  
Thank you AB

He's officially retired? I haven't heard anything except speculation. Would not surprise me though.

I'm just assuming.  Based solely on what I've heard and his responses to the last game in Arlington and yesterday

I like Hensley Muelens as a candidate. He's bilingual with a background as a hitting coach and a reputation as a developer of young hitters. He seemed to do a good job with the Nerherlands WBC squad (one with like 5 shortstops) and as the current Giants bench coach I can't think of anyone better to learn from than Bochy.

Girardi is going to the Angels

15 hours ago, DougO said:

Any chance the Cubs fire Madden and the Rangers hire him?

I doubt it, but I have always thought he would be a great one to have on our side.

My guess is no. They just fired Banister because he had problems communicating with the younger players. Maddon is 64. 

• 3 weeks later...