Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Enjoyed your write-up.  Your Win 9+ projection reads like Texas is playing a 12 game schedule??

So much has to go right for this 2020 TEXAS team to go 9-1 (regular season) and I hope it does.  Tackling should improve for the Horns with more reps/games.  For me, the Texas Offense scoring 40+ pts for the next 8 games is the bigger  key to winning.... kinda like that blOU team that you mentioned "won the conference giving up 37.6 in 2018".  

I think this current defense can keep most teams left on their schedule under 40 points -- although blOU could be one helluva shootout if the Texas defense doesn't "punch Rattler in the mouth early".

bomar-money_medium.gif

So we could tackle once upon a time?   

• Haha 1

On the long run by the Tech RB, Overshown came flying in, never wrapped up and bounced off the RB.  He plays out of control at times.  He can get to places others can't because of his speed but he's going to have play more disciplined or there will be a lot more of those type of missed tackles from him.
It's as if this is only his second game at LB. Overshown I will give a pass. He was at least hustling.

Juwan...not so much. It looked like he was assigned contain on the RB alot of times, but he gave no effort when the play went away from him.

3 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Jacques came in and was better. I said at the time I wants the targeting to stand because Mitchell has 2 knucklehead players in a single quarter.

This team has so little discipline it’s sickening.

The guy is a fucking head case and should have been kicked off the team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, SKA the boss said:

You’d think they would make an adjustment after that play. You’d be wrong.

Yeah text my brother circa 2nd or 3rd quarter basically “The QB draw is there for a TD whenever they want it.” I was already 2 cocktails in and could see it. Ash couldn’t.

9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

The fuck?!

3DB563E2-493A-496C-82D2-AB2B15603282.jpeg

Ash should be fired with cause for this formation alone....and then going back to it again later.  The second time, I swore it was some tactic to have them run the QB draw down the middle, and then we'd reposition right before the snap, but nope, it was real.

Edited by OU Sucks

27 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Ash should be fired with cause for this formation alone....and then going back to it again later.  The second time, I swore it was some tactic to have them run the QB draw down the middle, and then we'd reposition right before the snap, but nope, it was real.

Yeah, I'd love to hear the explanation on these. I just can't imagine that is a formation one and two that he would call for anything like that given their running QB.  I have to think the LBs are out of formation here.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, I'd love to hear the explanation on these. I just can't imagine that is a formation one and two that he would call for anything like that given their running QB.  I have to think the LBs are out of formation here.

I honestly asked before the TD, if we were baiting the QB draw... I guess we weren’t haha

12 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Herman won’t admit that Ash hire was a huge fuck up.

What's weird to me is leading up to the it, we all knew this was more comfort-hire bullshit. Then he was hired and everyone decided to be optimistic and think he'd turn it around.

Edited by B00M

14 minutes ago, B00M said:

What's weird to me is leading up to the it, we all knew this was more comfort-hire bullshit. Then he was hired and everyone decided to be optimistic and think he'd turn it around.

That's the battered wife "but he really loves me" syndrome of Texas fandom over the last decade.  

12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

That's the battered wife "but he really loves me" syndrome of Texas fandom over the last decade.  

I saw some idiot post on another forum how they “are very confident from the post game presser that the team will be better based on what the coach said”....meanwhile he’s said that same shit all 4 years after losses.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Can not, under any circumstances,  leave the middle of the field wide open. I can not believe thats a formation we use, but we do, they lined up at least twice like that. 

I couldn't believe that either.  Especially with a running QB.  I think it was more than twice.  The first time I was thinking.  HOW can we do THAT!!!????  The last time it cost a TD.

The first two weeks we would line up with 2 corners on 3 receivers and a safety 20 yards back or 1 on 2 receivers with the safety.  It was an easy 7 yard gain every play and the possibility to break a big one.  Didn't notice it so much this past week.

Doesn't matter if you can't tackle if you can't even get your hands on them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I think both Texas and OU are learning the hard way that big10 retread DC’s don’t work in the big12.

Snowman football where QB’s don’t scramble for 40 yard TD’s as opposed to the track meets we run in this conference. 

The infuriating thing is that Ass had all offseason to watch film and realize that OC’s in this league will happily abuse the middle if you continue to line up unsound or have glacial LB’s. There’s no gentlemen’s agreement that between the hashes is a place where QB’s fear to tread or throw here. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Utah had zero film of a CN run defense. Have to take that performance with a grain of salt. 

Let's just have the analysts rotate DC duties week to week so no one can ever prepare to play our D!

Been saying we need to hire Big 12 guys specifically at DC. The Big 12 is unique from every other conference. Chris Ash was a comfort hire and clearly is lost on how to defend big 12 offenses.

At this point I don’t even know why we recruit elite DBs anymore. Year after year they look completely lost. Getting torched by 3 star WRs consistently, can’t tackle for shit, have zero ball awareness, always seem a step slow. We seem to only get interceptions when the other QB fucks up. When I watch LSU, tOSU, etc they seem to get an Int or two per game by reading the QBs eyes and jumping a route or winning a one on one against a wr. We never do that. I’m tired of watching this shit. 

Edited by A’Dam Psycho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Been saying we need to hire Big 12 guys specifically at DC. The Big 12 is unique from every other conference. Chris Ash was a comfort hire and clearly is lost on how to defend big 12 offenses.

At this point I don’t even know why we recruit elite DBs anymore. Year after year they look completely lost. Getting torched by 3 star WRs consistently, can’t tackle for shit, have zero ball awareness, always seem a step slow. We seem to only get interceptions when the other QB fucks up. When I watch LSU, tOSU, etc they seem to get an Int or two per game by reading the QBs eyes and jumping a route or winning a one on one against a wr. We never do that. I’m tired of watching this shit. 

Speaking of speed.  Why is it that our running backs and wide receivers get run down by defensive backs?  I don't know that I have seen a Texas WR run away from a DB since the Shipleys.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Butbutbutbut, urban Meyer said he was the best hire of the off-season!  

Ill give the defense some credit, they were able to at least pressure the qb more than I have seen in recent memory.  If they can do the same against rattler then he's good for at least one int.

TCU gave up 7 sacks to ISU with their drop 8 defense.  We managed a few pressures and a sack. Probably largely because Ass’ best answer to Big XII offenses is to hope our DL dominates while giving them precious few opportunities to do anything other than run straight ahead, and occasionally bring a 5th man with the MLB or a corner.

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

Speaking of speed.  Why is it that our running backs and wide receivers get run down by defensive backs?  I don't know that I have seen a Texas WR run away from a DB since the Shipleys.

This is the shit I don’t understand either. Keontay getting chased down indirectly led to us losing by his stupidity the next play. WRs rarely get separation. Sam is having to fit the ball in tight windows 9 out of 10 passes. Why tf are we so slow as a team I don’t understand. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Ingram is slow.  Roschon is around the same speed but tougher, smarter, better blocker.  All around better RB.  

ROSCHON & Robinson should get the bulk of the carries.  Ingram is not the answer.  

Now on defense?  LOL.  Good luck with that mess.  LB play is bad.  Walk on is our best gl football player at LB.  4 & 5 star DBs giving 10-15 yard cushions?  Why?  Why play soft coverage?  Where is the run defense? Commit an extra man to the box & let the DBs go compete.  

• Hook 'Em 1