The Lincoln Project

bolverk

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'd like to think so but in my 40-odd years of identifying as a Dem and 32 years of voting that way, I've come to realize I am in the Party of Lil' Bitches. Maybe this is the year they finally sack up and tell the GOP to fuck off. 

Well if they don't, we will know really quickly and we will just backslide back to where we are.  I really feel like more people are politically aware than ever because of this shit show.

18 hours ago, GRHorn said:

???

He probably means everyone here dislikes the people behind the Lincoln Project for various reasons and explains those reasons but you just keep trying to discredit them as if you are upset by their mission.

I currently like the Lincoln project because they are good and talented at what they do and are royally fucking over trump and all his republican sycophants.

Their motive to do so is trump is actively destroying their ability to get their shitbag policies put into motion, they know it, so they are trying to destroy him and that ability. That I don’t really care for, but oh well.

This isn’t hard. You can hate the player but still like the game.

19 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Muh, Russia 

Old story, I guess. Recirculating. Still quite funny especially given that a co-founder is Russiagate psycho Rick Wilson. 

He’s a Republican, aka one of yours.  Of course he’s connected to Russia.  In case you didn’t notice, none of us are voting for him for jack shit.  We just like his ads like you enjoy Goya beans all of a sudden.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Like moving the party even more to the right than it already is. 

So right of the progressives and left of the tea party nutcases.  Yeah, we used to call that the middle.  That’s apparently what the vast majority of the country wants and a lot of posters here have said they prefer.  Hell, it’s Biden’s fucking wheelhouse. So yeah, give me some of that middle stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So right of the progressives and left of the tea party nutcases.  Yeah, we used to call that the middle.  That’s apparently what the vast majority of the country wants and a lot of posters here have said they prefer.  Hell, it’s Biden’s fucking wheelhouse. So yeah, give me some of that middle stuff.

I would not call Dubya's bunch "the middle" but you do you. Those are the fuckers who created Trumpism to begin with. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I would not call Dubya's bunch "the middle" but you do you. Those are the fuckers who created Trumpism to begin with. 

Show me where I said Dubya and his crew were the middle.  I said if the dems moved a bit to the right that would be the middle.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:28 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Theyre shitbags. I think we all know that. I’ll take what they’re doing now but they can fuck off and get zero money from me. But the democrats need to learn something from these slappies. 

Democrats don't learn this lesson.  This is how W became a war hero by skipping work in the Texas guard and Kerry became a traitor for being an actual veteran who saw wartime in Vietnam.  Republicans are way way better at crafting and delivering a message.  I think this Lincoln Project series of ads is just further proof of that.  I find it fun to watch the civil war within the party so I currently have no problem with this group.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Nobody is saying don’t accept their help.

We’re saying don’t give those grifters any of your money. Send that to candidates.

And don’t give them a single seat at the table. Ever.

Done and done.  Why would anyone give them money anyway?  They clearly don't need it.

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The main producer/maker of their videos is Ben Howe, exactly a tea party nutcase.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

And it's a dumb tweet.

It is dumb. The people behind the Lincoln Project don't give a shit about their public image, they are fighting for control of the GOP. They are the ousted regime waging a civil war within their party, it isn't any more complicated than that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

All I hear all day long is Dems shouting, Let's put Lincoln Project in charge of everything! I love Lincoln Project! I smile upon them with credulity as I despise the rest of the people who hate Trump!

What a load. They're good and amusing adds. I doubt many people look much deeper than that other than to notice a few displaced GOPs see Trump as bad for the country. 

20 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'd like to think so but in my 40-odd years of identifying as a Dem and 32 years of voting that way, I've come to realize I am in the Party of Lil' Bitches. Maybe this is the year they finally sack up and tell the GOP to fuck off. 

in terms of legislating, I know Harry Reid did a few things to piss off the GOP, and perhaps that is one of the justifications that McConnell uses to this day. But the GOP still has a lot of payback coming their way for the Garland SCOTUS nomination or lack of vote from 2016. 

Personally I hope that President Biden asks RGB and Breyer to name their smartest 28 year old law clerks, and put both of those people on the bench as replacement. Give them a 50 year term as an FU to McConnell.  Tell Mitch that his great-great-grandkids will live to see these justices in place. Obviously I'm assuming a Dem clean sweep for this option.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Biff, if you'd like some larger examples:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/billionaire-democrats-and-small-dollar-donors-help-fuel-anti-trump-lincoln-project/ar-BB16MR0Z

Its single largest donor in the April-to-June fundraising quarter: Connecticut-based hedge fund manager Stephen Mandel, who donated $1 million to the group. Mandel is a Democratic donor who has supported Democratic presumptive nominee Joe Biden's presidential bid, Federal Election Commission filings show.

Mandel did not immediately respond to an interview request.

Another billionaire Democrat, Hollywood film magnate David Geffen, is among the donors who contributed $100,000. Josh Bekenstein, co-chairman of private-investment firm Bain Capital, also donated $100,000.

I also find it interesting that these dudes are Rove acolytes using a typical Rove playbook but when its on "our side" its so damn good. 

20 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I've seen quite a bit of that, actually, including on this very board.  I'll just agree to disagree with you.

14 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/billionaire-democrats-and-small-dollar-donors-help-fuel-anti-trump-lincoln-project/ar-BB16MR0Z

I also find it interesting that these dudes are Rove acolytes using a typical Rove playbook but when its on "our side" its so damn good. 

Not a liberal but I haven't seen any liberals whatsoever acting like that. You are forgetting that many people who want Trump gone aren't progressives, liberals, or even Democrats. I would wager that most of the posts you're thinking of didn't come from progressives. 

Many of them are people on this board and outside of it who would like to see a functional, non-evil, actually conservative GOP and so supporting the internal destruction of the current GOP can't be anything but good. 

Finding one or even a handful of Democratic donors doesn't make that tweet accurate. It was still silly. Most liberal and Democratic support for them is basically saying that when Stalin needs help on the Eastern Front you help him out a bit. They're not asking for Stalin to take over the US.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4

Not a liberal but I haven't seen any liberals whatsoever acting like that. You are forgetting that many people who want Trump gone aren't progressives, liberals, or even Democrats. I would wager that most of the posts you're thinking of didn't come from progressives. 
Many of them are people on this board and outside of it who would like to see a functional, non-evil, actually conservative GOP and so supporting the internal destruction of the current GOP can't be anything but good. 
Finding one or even a handful of Democratic donors doesn't make that tweet accurate. It was still silly. Most liberal and Democratic support for them is basically saying that when Stalin needs help on the Eastern Front you help him out a bit. They're not asking for Stalin to take over the US.

I agree with your premise except for one small but important part.

If people want a “non-evil” takeover of the GOP then TLP dudes aren’t exactly “non-evil”.

They’ve spouted some heinous shit, backed horrid candidates, and created some absolutely disgusting ads as recently as a couple of years ago.

And not a one of them has owned up to any of that now that they’ve seen the light. Any time they get asked about their past, they deflect or attack. The fact that refuse to own their past and admit they were part of the problem that got us Trump tells me they don’t care.

They want the same horrible laws and policies enacted they just find the current packaging distasteful.
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm sorry to be pedantic, but I don't consider "liberal," "progressive", and "left" to be the same things.  And I don't want to call folks out, which is unfair of me to say since I said I saw the behavior on this board.  So, as posted in another reply, you can go to opensecrets.org and see big money Democrats giving financially to the Lincoln Project. 

functional, non-evil, actually conservative GOP 

And here's where I take my mask off and state that there hasn't been a non-evil GOP in my opinion since prior to Nixon. 

Again, we'll agree to disagree here.  The majority of cheering I see is coming from a Democratic side of the aisle for this group.  And much of it cased in "about time Democrats toughened up and use the same tactics" kind of talk.  From the same folks who often remind that Hillary won the popular vote, but lost the EC.  Was Hillary's campaign using Lincoln Project tactics?   I don't know man, it seems to me you can't decry Rove and then cheer for Rovian tactics just because they're used on someone you don't care for or want out of office.

Remember when W and Rove smeared McCain?  I don't, er didn't, like McCain but as a human I still thought that was disgusting shit and I could never cheer that kind of behavior on.  Just my thoughs.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You should never be the first one to sucker punch someone, but if they sucker punch you, there is no problem with, and in fact you should, sucker punch them back. 

Here's the thing. Once you've been sucker punched by your opponent you don't really get a chance to sucker punch them back because they're expecting it.

The proper response to a sucker punch is to drop all pretense of a fair fight and retaliate. Kicks to the balls, eye gouging, whatever. You need to take the initiative here because your opponent has already demonstrated that they will do whatever is necessary to try and defeat you.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

If people want a “non-evil” takeover of the GOP then TLP dudes aren’t exactly “non-evil”.

They’ve spouted some heinous shit, backed horrid candidates, and created some absolutely disgusting ads as recently as a couple of years ago.

And not a one of them has owned up to any of that now that they’ve seen the light. Any time they get asked about their past, they deflect or attack. The fact that refuse to own their past and admit they were part of the problem that got us Trump tells me they don’t care.

They want the same horrible laws and policies enacted they just find the current packaging distasteful.

I would not donate a dime to TLP. Their ads are effective though and Democratic strategists should be taking a page out of their playbook, but largely they won’t. The party of hate and racism can wage their own civil war amongst themselves. Hopefully it ends with the whole damn party being completely obliterated and never seen in this country again. Republicans are just fucking evil and the guys doing those ads are just jockeying to get control of their backwards ass party of hate back once Dotard is gone. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Ok, I guess I was mainly talking about non-donor, regular every day people that identify as liberal.  I just think the last line in that tweet is bullshit because I think I'd be hard-pressed to find a "liberal" that "likes Republicans and hates the left", especially in this polarized time.

Just now, UpperWestside said:

I would not donate a dime to TLP. They can wage their own civil war amongst themselves. Hopefully it ends with the whole damn party being completely obliterated and never seen in this country again. Republicans are just fucking evil and the guys doing those ads are just jockeying to get control of their backwards ass party of hate back once Dotard is gone. 

Also this.

31 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

They are the tool of destruction, not construction. It's a fine line to walk but it's the only chance the GOP has at fixing itself. More likely it gets even worse or just collapses.

26 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm sorry to be pedantic, but I don't consider "liberal," "progressive", and "left" to be the same things.  And I don't want to call folks out, which is unfair of me to say since I said I saw the behavior on this board.  So, as posted in another reply, you can go to opensecrets.org and see big money Democrats giving financially to the Lincoln Project. 

My post quite clearly indicated that they aren't the same things. Not sure where you disagree there.

The wednesday after election day they are going to start up with their "new" Republican candidates and the money you gave to them will support that. They buy mainly digital ads (I'm assuming, could be wrong) which is way cheaper than TV advertising that the olds and boomers will never see, but have younger libs and millenials throw 10 dollars to because circle jerks feel good.

• 2 months later...

I'm really interested in what happens after the election with these guys.  Do they become Democratic strategists?  Because let's be real honest--as a Democratic candidate, you could do a lot worse.

There's going to be a lot of interesting shit after this election.  If the Democrats take the Senate and the White House, they're going to change the rules.  They're going to get rid of the filibuster.  And if they do that, then being a member of the minority party in the Senate is going to make you about as useful as a dehumidifier in the Sahara.  It's like in the House--there's nothing worse than being a member of the minority party in the House.  There's just nothing to do.  Nobody gives a shit about you.

And if you're Thom Tillis, what do you do then?  Does any firm pay big money to hire Thom Tillis?  I mean, why?  And for that matter, does any client go out of its way to hire a firm that just hired Thom Tillis?  I mean, why?  How the fuck is Thom Tillis going to advance your legislation?

I've talked about this on other threads, but Texas has never been a two-party state because its economy has always been dependent on heavily regulated industries (O&G chief among them).  And so when the Republican Party gained control in the late-80s/early-90s, the money--and with it, the officeholders and campaign professionals--flipped.  You saw guys like Perry and Graham go from being Dems to Reps.  And if you stayed a Dem, you got no money and it became real hard to hire campaign operatives.  All of which made a Red Texas a somewhat self-fulfilling prophesy.

We've never had that type of dynamic in Washington.  And I don't think we're going to, exactly.  But I do think a lot more money is going to flow to the Democrats.  And with that money is going to come a lot of lobbyists and a lot of campaign professionals.

And I wonder if these guys haven't secured themselves a nice, safe landing spot in the new Democratic coalition with their work in this election cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2