Wanna Feel Old?

Storm the Field

• 5 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, Parliament said:

Has fashion changed as much since 1998 as it did from 76 to 98?

That's pretty interesting.  I think the pace of change of the entire culture has slowed, I guess.  We have more and more technological advances, so a movie like The Departed like entire plot devices revolving around crazy things called "text messages" feels laughable now.  But everything else about that era still seems relevant.  I'd say every single article of clothing, every saying, every haircut, every environment in there would work in a movie about today.   But that was 15 years ago already.  Think about the differences between 1975 and 1990.  Or any other 15 year period in there. 

Hell, in Boogie Nights you have the same characters looking like 

mark-wahlberg-boogie-nights-1997-RYYJR8.

and this

boogie-nights.png

in the same movie, representing like a 5 year change.  Pretty weird.

14 hours ago, Parliament said:

Movies/TV shows set in the past are a bit "cartoonish" with the look. Not EVERY person in 1977 wore bell bottoms and drove a Chevelle. Not every person in 1986 had a Walkman and parachute pants. But in the movies they all do.

i think the point is a little different.  i'm suggesting it is possible to dress like 1979 and 1984.  you can't really dress like 2015 or 2010 or 2005 in any way that is different from 2020.  and not just dress, but everything else that is indicative of moments in time of a culture.  if i was to make a movie about 2005, what visuals would i put in it to show the viewer it was 16 years ago?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

if i was to make a movie about 2005, what visuals would i put in it to show the viewer it was 16 years ago?

Flip phones and Blackberrys.

99% of the population not walking around with headphones or earbuds.

Dominant Texas football.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

Movies/TV shows set in the past are a bit "cartoonish" with the look. Not EVERY person in 1977 wore bell bottoms and drove a Chevelle. Not every person in 1986 had a Walkman and parachute pants. But in the movies they all do.

True. Only cool people had that stuff. The poors were driving a Pinto and drinking Shasta.

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

i think the point is a little different.  i'm suggesting it is possible to dress like 1979 and 1984.  you can't really dress like 2015 or 2010 or 2005 in any way that is different from 2020.  and not just dress, but everything else that is indicative of moments in time of a culture.  if i was to make a movie about 2005, what visuals would i put in it to show the viewer it was 16 years ago?

Low rise jeans on women. Juicy sweatsuits. Uggs. Whale tail. Cargo pants. Western shirts with pearl snaps. Pleather. Hot Topic shifting from more goth/emo to more emo and pop culture. Killer airbags. Cars with more ground clearance and bigger small cars, e.g. Sentras and Corollas. Goatees, not full beards. Tribal tattoos.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, Parliament said:

Fashion in the 90's was so much "brighter." Music was lighter, movies less gritty.

I've always associated it with September 11. 9-11 made our society more cynical.

Maybe, but those from my generation might argue that the Vietnam war and Watergate made society more cynical.  All of which might indicate that there is truly nothing new under the sun, and perhaps there is some small comfort in that.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:06 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I've recently come across some pictures from that era (I was in college at the time) and a couple things that stood out to me that are subtle but noticeable differences between now and then:  a shit ton of guys between 17 and 24 had longish hair, and there were lots of polo shirts and button down shirts with the top 3 buttons undone.  Flowery patterns and pearl snaps.  Lot more puka shell and/or hemp necklaces in that era too.  Flat bills on baseball hats were not common, everyone had curved bills.  Jeans were loose around the lower leg.  Not quite bell bottoms, but no skinny jeans anywhere.

Fashion had a more 70's look in general than what you see today.  It doesn't scream 2005 the way disco outfits scream 1978, but a guy wearing moderately long hair under a bent bill baseball hat with a polo shirt, some worn out jeans and flip flops would look out of sync with today's fashion, and that was pretty much everyone back then.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm a living fucking time capsule.  I have plenty of clothing items over 15 years old.

I'm with you. I wear the same shit I did in 2005. And flat-billed caps look stupid as fuck. Bend that shit. 

But then again, some things just don't really go out of fashion. Jeans that aren't too baggy or too skinny have been in style for decades. Regular old t-shirts with basic colors and simple graphics or logos as well.  

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Like 1

Maybe, but those from my generation might argue that the Vietnam war and Watergate made society more cynical.  All of which might indicate that there is truly nothing new under the sun, and perhaps there is some small comfort in that.
Seems we got a respit in the 90's. Between the dissolution of the Soviet Union and 9-11, things were pretty rad.