Covers better than Original

Jerry Callo

14 hours ago, futureman said:

guy clark is a legend but you’re wrong.  

How can I be wrong about what I like more or less ?  

I love Townes but his soul was dark and had little hope in it.  Guy was a hellion but his songs anyway had the hope I seek in a song like that one, hence I like his version better.  His hope and positive outlook comes through in his cover of To Live is to Fly in a way Townes just couldn’t pull off.  It’s the only Townes cover I like better than the original and it’s for a very specific reason.  

While I think this conversation begins and ends with Hendrix's version of Watchtower, SRV's version of Voodoo Child is solid, but not as good as his version of Little Wing.

Stevie's version of every cover he ever did is better than the original, with the only possible exception being Superstitious because it's not really a guitar song.
  • Like 1

I was surprised to see that actually. Your posts have been 1-for-1 identical to my opinions, here and other threads. But if you cut me, I might bleed a little Danish dude and some Californians.

What I think this means is that we need to find where you hid jimmyjazz's body and seek justice for his restless soul.

LOL.  I'm just not a metal guy when it comes down to it.  Never got into Iron Maiden, Dio, Black Sabbath, Slayer, etc.  It's kinda weird how much of an affinity I have for hard rock like Zep, AC/DC, etc.  Always dug super hard punk rock like Helmet, etc. too.  There's just a subset of classic metal that does zero for me.

Feel free to discount all my opinions henceforth.

On 4/27/2018 at 3:47 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

Dr. Dog's cover of Architecture in Helsinki's song Heart It Races

That was my contribution to this thread on the old board and I don't remember seeing any response so glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Agree with whoever said the original wasn't very good. I didn't hate it, but Dr. Dog's kills that version.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:09 PM, tbone_ said:

Stevie's version of every cover he ever did is better than the original, with the only possible exception being Superstitious because it's not really a guitar song.

I agree with this as a general rule.  While I love the guitar in Taxman, SRV's singing on that song grates on me - I give that one to The Beatles.