"Fra-gi-le." That must be Italian.

RPM

It took me a long time to realize it, but the movie is not about little Ralphie getting his rifle.  It's about the Dad finally having the Christmas he always envisioned for his family.  Darren McGavin (RIP) was more brilliant in this role than anyone gives him credit for.  While we laugh and wince at the little setbacks of Ralphie, in the end...it's what the "Old Man" has to endure that makes the story special.  He doesn't even get a name in the movie, that's how thankless his job was.  His character is literally "Old Man Parker."  When you watch the movie this Christmas, pay attention more to the father's character arc.  Watch the shit he has to put up with (including the one light in his life crushed before his eyes), and how he works to bring the holiday home for his family. 

6 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clays.  It was his true medium, a master.

In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that, as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.

It took me a long time to realize it, but the movie is not about little Ralphie getting his rifle.  It's about the Dad finally having the Christmas he always envisioned for his family.  Darren McGavin (RIP) was more brilliant in this role than anyone gives him credit for.  While we laugh and wince at the little setbacks of Ralphie, in the end...it's what the "Old Man" has to endure that makes the story special.  He doesn't even get a name in the movie, that's how thankless his job was.  His character is literally "Old Man Parker."  When you watch the movie this Christmas, pay attention more to the father's character arc.  Watch the shit he has to put up with (including the one light in his life crushed before his eyes), and how he works to bring the holiday home for his family. 

2 parts right after each other kill me every time.

His reaction to getting a bowling ball to the nuts.

His tone when he says “oh look, a can of Simoniz”.

3 hours ago, wutang75 said:

My buddy out in Tyler owns the BB gun from the movie. Bought it at an auction. CSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a coincidence. My buddy owns it too. And my secretary's husband's brother owns it as well. And my mailman's brother's baby momma's friend Ray Ray does too. 

I watched the live action version last night on Fox for about 15 minutes. That’s the worst fucking thing I’ve ever seen on tv and I have no idea how they convinced actors with any career to do it. They had songs and shit. I was laughing at the awfulness but wife made me turn it off. 

27 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I watched the live action version last night on Fox for about 15 minutes. That’s the worst fucking thing I’ve ever seen on tv and I have no idea how they convinced actors with any career to do it. They had songs and shit. I was laughing at the awfulness but wife made me turn it off. 

Yeah I tend to not like musicals in general, but can at least recognize their merit even if they're not for me.  This was just bad.  I turned it on during the one song where Ralphie was imagining saving teacher Jenna Maroney in the classroom and couldn't change the channel fast enough.  This was my favorite Christmas movie growing up and I couldn't make it through more than one song.

Edited by Tom

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Yeah I tend to not like musicals in general, but can at least recognize their merit even if they're not for me.  This was just bad.  I turned it on during the one song where Ralphie was imagining saving teacher Jenna Maroney in the classroom and couldn't change the channel fast enough.  This was my favorite Christmas movie growing up and I couldn't make it through more than one song.

One of the songs was “Hop on Santa’s Lap” and had Fred Armisen as an elf. Amazing. 

It's funny how my focal point of enjoyment for this movie went from, when I was younger, Ralphie's quest to get the rifle to, after becoming a dad, watching the dad's quest just for a moment of peace. Our two kids watched it with us for the first time last night. They loved it. Darren McGavin was such a genius actor in this movie. 

Hey Dad! I bet you'll never guess what I got you for Christmas.

A new furnace. 

Edited by mdmost

The older I get, the more I relate to the Old Man. This Christmas, I was Old Man Parker. Lots of shit going on and pulling everyone in different directions. Held down the fort and made it happen. Enjoying some vodka and watching A Christmas Story as the wife, kids, and her family enjoy the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

My buddy out in Tyler owns the BB gun from the movie. Bought it at an auction. CSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
that gun is like the red stapler. Daisy didn't ever make a gun like that one until after the movie. they finally made one because there were so many requests for it.

Jean Sheppard is was? a brilliant writer. he narrates A Christmas Story.

first read the story in Playboy years ago. yes Playboy had litreature in it. some of it was good enough to deter you from sticking the pages together long enough to actually read som of it
Sheppard's stuff was that. the story is funnier than the movie though the movie does capture the spirit pretty damn good. the sequel to this story is pretty fucking hilarious too. this stuff is in In God We Trust All Others Pay Cash.

https://www.amazon.com/God-We-Trust-Others-Cash-ebook/dp/B0047747EC