Vacation home pros/cons

Hornbeliever

57 minutes ago, hornbri said:

We took plunge on a lake house about 10 months ago, it is a 1:15 minutes from our house door to door. This has allowed us to use it very frequently, I do wonder long term how much of that will wane with time, non-covid times, and my kids (9 and 6 now) having more and more extracurricular activities. 

I will say, it has become a very relaxing place for us. We can go on a moments notice and once there we feel very removed from our day to day lives. 

A lot depends on the sports they play and how much travel ball they do or don’t play. Our kids were not involved in sports that impacted summers which made it great for us. 

We have a lake house that was used every weekend from the time our kids were born up until our oldest was 12 or 13. Then she got to the point she wanted to start going with others, staying home for friend get togethers, or  school functions interfered. We bought a beach house a long way off around that time and now we pack them (16/13) up for the summers and take them down there. It gets them away from their friends for a period of time and forces them to do things together without being able to get out of it. We still go to the lake, but it’s gotten to the point that I’m probably going to let it go at some point soon. I put 12 hours on my boat this year although we will go the next few weekends before it cools off too much more. As they move on to college, I would prefer to sell the house we live in and I’ll just build a new house at the lake and commute, but that idea has gone nowhere.

Great thread.  I'm enjoying and learning a lot on some of the responses.  We're in a position to do this financially right now, but have decided to wait a few years on some family-related items.  It's interesting to see the mixed bag of responses regarding short-term rentals and their pros and cons.  Part of me wants to just go ahead and bite the bullet now to get something that would serve primarily as a rental that we could use a half dozen times a year, but I know how picky we are about the setup, and I have a feeling we're going to be better off building something new or doing a major remodel.  

I'm curious if anyone has tried to build or undergo a large project from hours away and how it fared.  I'm cognizant of the issues of reliable support in vacation towns, so my expectations are pretty low around contractors in those areas (especially given that's what I do for a living and I hear the horror stories of others here locally).  If anyone has any stories (good or bad) on that front, please fire away.

5 hours ago, hornbri said:

We took plunge on a lake house about 10 months ago, it is a 1:15 minutes from our house door to door. This has allowed us to use it very frequently, I do wonder long term how much of that will wane with time, non-covid times, and my kids (9 and 6 now) having more and more extracurricular activities. 

I will say, it has become a very relaxing place for us. We can go on a moments notice and once there we feel very removed from our day to day lives. 

The lake is 1:15 minutes from the door?

or the lake house is 1:15 minutes from your regular house?  

Or did you mean hours?

We bought a house on the beach on the west end of Galveston, proximity was key for me.   I need to be able to work down there and come up to the shop if needed -so being about 1 hour from my office is nice.     Galveston gets a lot of hate, but i love going down there, sitting on my balcony, drinking and just watching the waves.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

We bought a house on the beach on the west end of Galveston, proximity was key for me.   I need to be able to work down there and come up to the shop if needed -so being about 1 hour from my office is nice.     Galveston gets a lot of hate, but i love going down there, sitting on my balcony, drinking and just watching the waves.

That's the best.  Just sitting, listening to the waves, watching swells as the sun goes down and the moon rises and a dolphin sighting is just a bonus.  Cracking the windows and drifting to sleep with an ocean breeze is greatness.  

7 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I'm curious if anyone has tried to build or undergo a large project from hours away and how it fared.  I'm cognizant of the issues of reliable support in vacation towns, so my expectations are pretty low around contractors in those areas (especially given that's what I do for a living and I hear the horror stories of others here locally).  If anyone has any stories (good or bad) on that front, please fire away.

We’re about 15 hours from our place. Right after we bought it, we did a complete major exterior renovation/addition. It went fine, but we talked with our realtor about recommended contractors and then interviewed them and checked references. We were able to do most selections while there and did the others by email. I flew down about once a month to check on things and take care of any issues. The contractor sent pictures weekly and we set up an account locally he could draw his payments off of after I contacted the bank. The realtor also checked in a few times for us as well. All in all it went pretty smoothly, but I’m definitely glad we put in the front end work on finding the contractor. It helped it was a major project, we have had a harder time getting smaller things done consistently.

The other thing we did was used the realtor to find a home watch person and landscaper. They have been a huge help. They check on things each week, send us pictures of any issues, and also schedule repairs if needed.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pacaso (re-invented) time share company all up in the news.  Idea is compelling, execution is probably completely lacking. Eight buyers and a management company using an LLC to share in the ownership amd cost to own second homes in exclusive places like Aspen, Malibu, etc. fancy app to navigate stays, booking rules for equality among owners and Silicon Valley funding. A lot like a boat club but $300k-$1.5M fractional costs to get into a home. Fees on top and probably over paying. Still, 6-7 weeks of stays per year and turnkey management. Neighbors in Sonoma hate them, 8-figure series B funding suggests they stick around. 

8 hours ago, troph said:

Pacaso (re-invented) time share company all up in the news.  Idea is compelling, execution is probably completely lacking. Eight buyers and a management company using an LLC to share in the ownership amd cost to own second homes in exclusive places like Aspen, Malibu, etc. fancy app to navigate stays, booking rules for equality among owners and Silicon Valley funding. A lot like a boat club but $300k-$1.5M fractional costs to get into a home. Fees on top and probably over paying. Still, 6-7 weeks of stays per year and turnkey management. Neighbors in Sonoma hate them, 8-figure series B funding suggests they stick around. 

Lots of companies out there for fractional vacation home ownership.  Exclusive Resorts, Equity Estates, Inspirato (started by founder of Exclusive Resorts after he sold to Steve Case - he's a complete dbag but knows this space really well).  I'm sure there are many others out there.  I'd rather just rent houses when I need them, personally.  But the concept is great and I know people who love Exclusive Resorts.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Have a friend that does Inspirato.  He’s visits an absolutely insane house down in cabo every year.  
I've looked into all of them at one point or another. They don't have a varied enough list of locations for me. But if you do a lot of New York, Napa, Aspen, Jackson Hole, Cabo type trips, i can see how it would be appealing.

21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
23 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
Have a friend that does Inspirato.  He’s visits an absolutely insane house down in cabo every year.  

I've looked into all of them at one point or another. They don't have a varied enough list of locations for me. But if you do a lot of New York, Napa, Aspen, Jackson Hole, Cabo type trips, i can see how it would be appealing.

For me it’s the maximum stay of 14 days but letting go of $300-$1.2M. Yeah no, 14 day stays are easy to find anywhere, the cost benefit for me would start to shift at a month or longer. So pacaso for example is a no for that reason. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Update in case anyone is helped by data...We bought our ranchito right before covid.  It has been awesome for our family and time with friends.  A little less than 1.5 hours away and I can't understate how important that short drive is.  It's in country so once we are there, you don't see anyone.

Also, I had never thought of difference but there is a second home and a vacation home.  We bought a second home, not a vacation home.  

Costs for all stupid shit you don't want to own two of but now do, like ladders and pots and cheese graters and waffle makers :  $6,000. (Does not include furniture which is a shit ton more)

Insurance plus all utilities/fiber:  $600/month

About $4,000 per year on repairs of some kind (freeze burst all pipes, metal roof rescrew, etc)

Days stay (easy to calc because of utility usage on days there)

2020 = 107 (covid)

2021 = 47

2022 = 54

2023 = 50

Taking into account mortgage plus taxes plus bills plus furniture, daily rate of stay is a crazy $500 +/night.

That makes you think "fuck that" as it almost does me.

But then equity we've built if we sold would make that number likely go negative per night (lucky timing).  Also, the mental health component is invaluable.  Covid was fun for us rather than miserable.  And the amount of time we spend with our family and friends actually has gone up since we constantly host people.  And we are more relaxed in country than when in city where we are going from one birthday party to the next or some store to buy some useless thing.

Added bonus:  the amount of electronic time for our daughters plummets when in the country versus when in Houston so we actually do way more random stuff together like board games and campfire time

Negative:  Constantly having a set of errands to do like a leaky toilet or some fencing issue or some other bullshit chore.  And for my wife, we are lucky enough to have a housekeeper in Houston but she is back to cleaning toilets and showers (great problems to have so I feel bad writing the negatives).  If you feel stressed with more on your to-do list, I wouldn't buy a second home.

We could air bnb house, especially because of proximity to Round Top during their festival weekends, but we love our stuff being our stuff so not worth it at this point for us.  That could change if we stop going as much but hopefully not soon.

Hope this helps inform a future decision for one of yall.

In a nutshell, if you like your family, this is a fantastic life choice.....but make sure it isn't too far away.

Good summary.  We are in the middle of a gut job renovation on our mountain house, so we haven't been able to use it for the past 5 months.  But when it's done in July/August, we're moving up there full time.  Can't wait.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

Taking into account mortgage plus taxes plus bills plus furniture, daily rate of stay is a crazy $500 +/night.

That figure is going to plummet assuming you keep up a similar usage.

I completely underestimated the expense of getting a second set of stuff and furniture and am frankly scared to sum it all.  LOL.

All that said we have really enjoyed and are glad we have bought our place.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:45 AM, BabaYaga said:

N. Dallas also.  We have land near Coleman with a house on it that is short for this world.  Thinking some type of barndominium-esq metal property to keep Mother Nature at bay.  

We have been engaged in this search for a while now as well.  Neighbor finishing up his second Broken Bow cabin build in OK.  They are a fantastic investment (short term rentals) opportunities, but the demand is driving the price through the roof.

In FEB, for example when we were there, it was rented for 21 of the 28 days of the month, @ $300+/night

We also looked at Galveston and Crystal Beach.  That's probably where we'll settle.  More than likely condo.  

We pass through Coleman on the way to and from NM and CO.  Seems like a cool little town.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

We pass through Coleman on the way to and from NM and CO.  Seems like a cool little town.

I almost started a hemp farm in Coleman. There was at least one group that was trying to make downtown something. that pizza joint was great and that part of Texas is never thought of and oddly beautiful in a way. not Colorado Mountain beautiful or anything but beautiful to a Texan for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, troph said:

I almost started a hemp farm in Coleman. There was at least one group that was trying to make downtown something. that pizza joint was great and that part of Texas is never thought of and oddly beautiful in a way. not Colorado Mountain beautiful or anything but beautiful to a Texan for sure.

It's had a remarkable turnaround.  Tons of money has started to flow into the community and boutique/mercantile/specialty shops are popping up all over the place in addition to the bars/restaurants.  

image.png.72be7af6a49eecf09ddb4bd4a26f8579.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, troph said:

I noticed they had a little winery on the corner but I heard it was for sale.  That little "main street" looks like it has a lot of potential.  

Santa Anna seems like it could have potential too but you would probably need to scrape 80% of the town

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I noticed they had a little winery on the corner but I heard it was for sale.  That little "main street" looks like it has a lot of potential.  

Santa Anna seems like it could have potential too but you would probably need to scrape 80% of the town

I think the winery itself is near the owners B&B which is closer to Valera (Big O's BBQ- everyone has to check them out).  Every weekend I'm in town the main street is closed down for some festivity.  Car shows, BBQ's, parades.  The wine bar on the corner across from the pizza place was open last time I was there.  It's a dueling piano bar (or at least they had them in there).  It's been under construction for quite some time now.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I think the winery itself is near the owners B&B which is closer to Valera (Big O's BBQ- everyone has to check them out).  Every weekend I'm in town the main street is closed down for some festivity.  Car shows, BBQ's, parades.  The wine bar on the corner across from the pizza place was open last time I was there.  It's a dueling piano bar (or at least they had them in there).  It's been under construction for quite some time now.

Maaaaybe one of these days we'll actually stop... when on road trips, I'm a man on a mission... got cars to pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Maaaaybe one of these days we'll actually stop... when on road trips, I'm a man on a mission... got cars to pass.

I get it - if I'm coming/going on a trip getting to the destination is priority #1

On 1/3/2024 at 1:45 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Update in case anyone is helped by data...We bought our ranchito right before covid.  It has been awesome for our family and time with friends.  A little less than 1.5 hours away and I can't understate how important that short drive is.  It's in country so once we are there, you don't see anyone.

Also, I had never thought of difference but there is a second home and a vacation home.  We bought a second home, not a vacation home.  

Costs for all stupid shit you don't want to own two of but now do, like ladders and pots and cheese graters and waffle makers :  $6,000. (Does not include furniture which is a shit ton more)

Insurance plus all utilities/fiber:  $600/month

About $4,000 per year on repairs of some kind (freeze burst all pipes, metal roof rescrew, etc)

Days stay (easy to calc because of utility usage on days there)

2020 = 107 (covid)

2021 = 47

2022 = 54

2023 = 50

But then equity we've built if we sold would make that number likely go negative per night (lucky timing).  Also, the mental health component is invaluable.  Covid was fun for us rather than miserable.  And the amount of time we spend with our family and friends actually has gone up since we constantly host people.  And we are more relaxed in country than when in city where we are going from one birthday party to the next or some store to buy some useless thing.

Added bonus:  the amount of electronic time for our daughters plummets when in the country versus when in Houston so we actually do way more random stuff together like board games and campfire time

Negative:  Constantly having a set of errands to do like a leaky toilet or some fencing issue or some other bullshit chore.  And for my wife, we are lucky enough to have a housekeeper in Houston but she is back to cleaning toilets and showers (great problems to have so I feel bad writing the negatives).  If you feel stressed with more on your to-do list, I wouldn't buy a second home.

We could air bnb house, especially because of proximity to Round Top during their festival weekends, but we love our stuff being our stuff so not worth it at this point for us.  That could change if we stop going as much but hopefully not soon.

Hope this helps inform a future decision for one of yall.

In a nutshell, if you like your family, this is a fantastic life choice.....but make sure it isn't too far away.

Very well put - especially the distinction between vacation homes and second homes! Having owned both second homes and vacation homes, distance is key but not a deal breaker for me because my vacation home is easily reached by airlines and is in a managed rental pool and maintained by a management company.   This relieves the distance factor for me because I am not actively having to maintain it but the trade off is obviously not being able to go as often and someone else is using it when you are not there.  I have found if you are super passionate about the location/activities to be had where your second home/vacation home is located, it is easier to overlook the slightly imperfect situations you may encounter or certain nagging costs that come with ownership.   In the case of my vacation home, a slope side ski property carries the intangibles of having Owner closets  to keep your personal items, alcohol, dry goods/foods, guns, ski gear and fishing gear, hiking gear, camping gear so you do not have to lug it around on planes or in your car or have to go shopping as soon as you arrive there.   The rental income roughly covers 2/3 of the bottom line costs each year.  In all cases of vacation/second home properties I have bought, the appreciation has been off the charts after 7 years of ownership which ultimately makes the bottom line work if you have the extra cash available to sustain and keep them afloat long enough to allow appreciation to build.  Again, my approach has always been my passion for the place/activities and I never went into it with high expectations of profit margins, appreciation or financial gain - if any of these happen, which fortunately for me a few of these have ...well great!  I have always taken the approach that they would just break even at best and the number of days I stayed and enjoyed the place with friends and family was my profit.  

Edited by JCHIL
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JCHIL said:

Very well put - especially the distinction between vacation homes and second homes! Having owned both second homes and vacation homes, distance is key but not a deal breaker for me because my vacation home is easily reached by airlines and is in a managed rental pool and maintained by a management company.   This relieves the distance factor for me because I am not actively having to maintain it but the trade off is obviously not being able to go as often and someone else is using it when you are not there.  I have found if you are super passionate about the location/activities to be had where your second home/vacation home is located, it is easier to overlook the slightly imperfect situations you may encounter or certain nagging costs that come with ownership.   In the case of my vacation home, a slope side ski property carries the intangibles of having Owner closets  to keep your personal items, alcohol, dry goods/foods, guns, ski gear and fishing gear, hiking gear, camping gear so you do not have to lug it around on planes or in your car or have to go shopping as soon as you arrive there.   The rental income roughly covers 2/3 of the bottom line costs each year.  In all cases of vacation/second home properties I have bought, the appreciation has been off the charts after 7 years of ownership which ultimately makes the bottom line work if you have the extra cash available to sustain and keep them afloat long enough to allow appreciation to build.  Again, my approach has always been my passion for the place/activities and I never went into it with high expectations of profit margins, appreciation or financial gain - if any of these happen, which fortunately for me a few of these have ...well great!  I have always taken the approach that they would just break even at best and the number of days I stayed and enjoyed the place with friends and family was my profit.  

My parents had a ski in/out condo at Copper Mountain when I was younger.  I remember my dad managing it (back in the days long before VRBO or airbnb).  It was a massive pain in the ass.  Shit got stolen all the time, shit got broken all the time, cleaning people didn't show up, etc.  We had the lock cut off our owner's closet multiple times.  It was just not worth it, IMO.  

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

My parents had a ski in/out condo at Copper Mountain when I was younger.  I remember my dad managing it (back in the days long before VRBO or airbnb).  It was a massive pain in the ass.  Shit got stolen all the time, shit got broken all the time, cleaning people didn't show up, etc.  We had the lock cut off our owner's closet multiple times.  It was just not worth it, IMO.  

My grandfather had a similar place in Breckenridge.  Had it for 5 years or so and it was such a pain in the ass he sold it and just rented for spring break and the month of August.  Once the grandkids finished high school and no longer wanted to hang out with their grandparents over Spring Break, he quit renting and bought a little cabin outside of Gunnison where they would spend the summer.

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My grandfather had a similar place in Breckenridge.  Had it for 5 years or so and it was such a pain in the ass he sold it and just rented for spring break and the month of August.  Once the grandkids finished high school and no longer wanted to hang out with their grandparents over Spring Break, he quit renting and bought a little cabin outside of Gunnison where they would spend the summer.

Your grandpa sounds like my kind of guy.  Love Gunnison area.

If retired - vacation homes are much easier to own. I watched my grandparents own the family lake house and they could spend a month there. My grandfather built a second bedroom, boat house, screened in back porch, etc, etc. over those summers. They could also go up a week here and a week there just about monthly.

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have no deep insights to this issue but, my dad and I kind of agreed that if we ever bought a place then we’d be locked into going to the same place each year. And we all liked to travel all over the place, rather than just one spot.

that's usually the first argument. we have no business buying a second place right now, we are still finishing up the landscaping on our current house - a bit of a reach honestly. but once we settle in, we want both. we want a place for the summers to fish, hike, bike, play tennis without dying and we want to travel. so if we are so lucky we are going to buy some acreage and build a modest home on it and spend mid-June through mid-October there. then probably travel mostly in January through March.

On 1/3/2024 at 1:45 PM, Hornbeliever said:

We gutted a run down house and are almost done and ready to rent. It’s been a long 2 years. It’s in Brazoria, and it borders a large ranch / wooded area, and the owner is very nice and said he doesn’t mind if the kids play and hunt and build on it. When it finally got the point of having electricity and water turned on to outside faucet, the kids started coming and doing “camping” trips. The first few were semi legit camping with no plumbing, lights only, slept in a tent or mosquito proof hammock. Granted we now have electricity, running water, carpets, refrigerator etc and it isn’t really much camping, but when they go most of the time they are out in the woods and come back covered in mud after building forts or hunting squirrels with their BB guns.  We have a campfire all day, and at night we’ll roast marshmallows and tell stories. When we do watch TV, I’ll drag the TV outside and we’ll watch scary (for 8 and 10 yo) movies in the dark by the fire.  I think it’s been great for them and is. 

Im actually a bit sad that we’re about to be done and find to rent it out. We’ve kind of kicked around moving there, but I’d have to change jobs and the schools system isn’t great from what I’ve seen.  

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 4

Vacation house, maybe, as this thread shows.  Seasonal second place, too much damn work rigging each place up or down twice a year.  And worries about security.  And very costly, that after furniture, upgrades, etc.  

Completely agree with many of the cons to owning as second home.  For example, had to drive to place yesterday to prepare pipes and the water well for the freeze.  And then I get to do that at my regular house today.  Double the fun!

On the flip side, we did a proper American firework show for NYE that we could never do in town….obvi with all Chinese made fireworks.  And no Mom was bitching about the kids lighting bottle rockets and Roman candles and then some of the big shit (pic below).    

Also,  I made an outdoor movie set up a couple years ago and this is where we all watched the Sugar Bowl around a huge campfire.  Great way to watch a shitty 3rd quarter.

So my point is that this house gives us an ability to do stuff we just can’t in Houston and the cost of that is definitely a bit of work (and $).

As for traveling and locking ourselves into one location, this is a second home and we spend roughly every other weekend here and not where we take vacations. If house was further (and more of a vacation house), we might not have same mindset.  And this place being in Fayette County, we want to get the f out of Houston and here in summer and fly north.

IMG_1145.jpeg

• Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only real difference between vacation/2nd home is whether you are renting it and the distance from your main place. We had a lake house at the same time we had the place at the beach and outside of a very specific rental deal we fell into at the beach did not rent either. The lake house was close and got used more frequently, the beach house was a long ways off and got used for longer periods of time. 

For us, the beach house was easier to justify and was more of what we were looking for because we would actually get away with the kids for long periods including the entire summers. It got to where we would go to the lake for the day or maybe the weekend, but the kids would opt out or they would bring multiple friends with them. It became more of a hang out spot for the which was fine, but it wasn’t a place for the family to get away together as they got a little older. We rarely are trips to without friends once they were past 10 or so which meant they didn’t really spend any time together doing anything. At the beach they were locked up together for up to 2 months at a time which helped their relationship out long term. We also where there with no one else so there was a lot more family game time, movie time, eating together every meal, etc. than what we had at the lake house that was only an hour from the house.

There are always people around to take care of things at the place in a vacation spot. We had a couple that did the landscaping, house cleaning, stopped by 1-2 a week to check everything, did repairs, etc for what was really a pretty reasonable fee. The older people that lived in the neighborhood also kept an eye on things so we never worried about that house. We constantly worried about the lake house because no one was there, the houses around it were all weekend places, etc so I spent a lot more time running back and forth between our place and it checking things out.

The easiest thing we have or have had is land. Bushhog parts of it occasionally or have someone do it and just show up. We went the shop route there with a small attached place, so there just isn’t much to worry about with it.

Our 2nd home is in Breck.  Our grown kids really like it.  Breck is one of the easiest places to get to for busy working families.  They can fly to Denver very inexpensively on SW and take the Breck shuttle.  We stay in Breck the first week of April for some warm, blue sky skiing.  Back June 15th as the yard is just coming to life and time to plant summer flowers.  Stay until first week or so of October after the leaves have changed colors.  Then come back and finish the last 2 weeks of the year to celebrate Christmas/New Year.  The kids come when they can and bring their friends.  We have friends in and out all summer. 

Maintenance of the home is fairly minimal.  No yard work 7 months out of the year.  Utility bills are on average very inexpensive.  We are not there 6 months out of the year.  Turn the hot water heater off and set the boiler at 60 degrees.   We get a good bit of sun during the day and the house stays very comfortable.  We have a guy that checks it once per week when we are not there.  Taxes are low compared to Texas and a fraction of what my Austin taxes are.  Our house is in town so we walk everywhere.  Can go weeks without starting the car.  

Those are the pros.  The only cons I can think of are traffic and people related.  On the weekends, the highway around Fairplay is congested and I70 can be a parking lot.  The roundabouts in Breck can get backed up on Friday and Sunday.  So we don't travel during weekends.  Holidays are very busy with lots of traffic in town and people everywhere.  We just plan accordingly.  We will make dinner reservations for those times 2 weeks to a month in advance. and have already stocked up at Whole Foods and will cook on the grill/stay home.   

I would gladly give up Texas for Colorado except for February and May.  It is too darn cold in February for everyday living and May is mud month.  There is mud everywhere from the melting snow.  Also, living at 9,600 feet gets harder as you get older.  We only have a few years left before we age out.  

• Hook 'Em 1