2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

I guess I’ll start the 2020 thread.  Started 2019 as a 19.7. I ended the year a 13.1 playing 30 rounds my goal was to get to 14.5 last year so I’m pleased but wanting more. Here are my goals through the winter and next season. 

1. Hit 5000 balls on the simulator at home (btw skytrak is now $1700. Highly recommend). 

2. Play 5 rounds by March. This is more likely with the more mild Oklahoma weather. 

3. Really work the short game, 40 and in. 

4. Get lessons this winter on how to hit the big stick. Get fitted. Add yardage and dump the 3 wood of an extra wedge and maybe a driving iron.

5. Be a 12.5 or better going into my pinehurst trip over Memorial   Day (2, 4, 8, and one other I can’t remember)

6. Enter August as a 11 or better. 

7. Play 35 rounds or more. 

What does everyone else have up their sleeve?

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 2

I like taking fullish (if not, foolish) swings at 50-65 yards with my 60*. 56* that short requires more touch than I have. 60* is also better suited for those base-of-elevated-green shots, particularly when the flag is tucked close.

I use to fear the 60*, but we’ve come to understand each other. I won’t try a lob and it won’t kiss the ball with the hosel.

• Like 1

I believe I posted this on the 2019 thread but the new handicap system is going into effect this week. The GHIN app is down for the conversion. The computer will calculate your handicap with a different formula taking the best 8 of your last 20 rounds. The main thing for golfers to know in turning in their adjusted scores is that a net double bogey is the max score on a hole. A net double bogey is par + 2 + any strokes received on that hole.

I used to be a wizard around the greens with my 60*. Always close to the hole, somewhat regularly chipping in. Loved hitting delicate little flops. Then I realized ten years later I had gone to shit with the 60*. Thought about it and remembered that at my peak I was spending 1-2 hours a week at the practice green with it. 

it definitely takes work to keep your touch sharp with the 60*. 

• Like 1

All I carried for basically my entire life was pw, 52, 58. Had a 5 wood or something else up top. After a move I realized my bag was built for my home club. That I don't play anymore. So got rid of the 5 wood and now go pw, 50, 54, 58. Interested to see how that opens things up. I've tried a 60 but have just never seen what it can do over a 58 opened up. Am really liking the 54.

Sandpiper next week and spyglass in a couple weeks. I'm rusty, but fuck it. LFG!

Edited by pops
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Bandon in late February. Pretty pumped.

Wish we were going in July when the 5th course opens, but we got a hell of a deal. 

Bandon trip booked for October2020 myself. Fucking stoked.

I go 48-52-58 in the wedges. I can't find the source now, but years ago some guy ran a study that said money is made between 175-225, so I go 3w - Hybrid-Utility-4i up there. Important to note that the study did NOT say that the short game was LESS important than those yardages, only that the misses from those yardages often cost full shots (or multiple) shots, whereas shots around the green only cost partial shots (on aggregate). Note that I'm a 2 handicap, so I think I'm remembering data relative to my game - a 10 or an 18 might have had different recs.

• Like 1

After getting the bug again for the first time  since college I started turning in scores, splitting the fairway (always my weakness), and played 15 rounds in the second half of 2019. Ended the year at a 6.4 and had grand plans and lofty goals for 2020.

Hit the range on New Year’s Day and while the driver was solid, about 75% of my swings with the 7i and 52* were full on shanks. I was putting others on the range in danger. Moving all my loose change from one pocket to the other didn’t help so I said fuck that and went to work on chipping. 

I was hopeful to get to get back out there with the beautiful weather this weekend, but I woke up Friday with what feels like a strain in the back of my right hand. It hurts to grip and take the club back, so I’m not even going to risk finding out what it would feel like at impact.

Hopefully some of those early 2020 goals won’t have to be scrapped, and I’ll still be in a groove when I do get to play again. I’m looking to break 80 for the first time in a decade. I’d also like to figure out and fix why I’ve been bleeding distance with my irons. Other than that I just want to play more. 

Curious what folks budget for their Bandon trips. Is there a time of year that’s better than another? I want to do the trip in the next few years. I will bring the wife who also plays. My parents are in seattle in the summer so I’ve thought about dropping the kid off there and making a road trip out of it.

To make this relevant to 2020 golf, I played Friday, had a good back nine, then died afterwords from cedar. Haven’t left the house since. I hear it’s nice out though.

21 hours ago, drewlaws said:

Curious what folks budget for their Bandon trips. Is there a time of year that’s better than another? I want to do the trip in the next few years. I will bring the wife who also plays. My parents are in seattle in the summer so I’ve thought about dropping the kid off there and making a road trip out of it.

To make this relevant to 2020 golf, I played Friday, had a good back nine, then died afterwords from cedar. Haven’t left the house since. I hear it’s nice out though.

Bandon has seasons, and golf and rooms both vary depending on time of year. The good thing is, Bandon doesn't play any pricing games. No packages, discounts, etc - you pay what's on the website, and all rates are published at the beginning of the year. Here's the 2020 room rates table, for example - 2020 Rates (Bandon Website)

From there, it's just a math problem - how many nights, how many rounds, caddie or no caddie. Travel and food are the other two big expenses (I include booze with 'food'). Again, the Bandon website tells you everything you need to know about travel. The closest airport has 2-3 flights a day (SFO and DEN connecting), otherwise Eugene or Portland, and a rental car. FRom what I"ve seen, the United Airlines prices aren't really realistic a year out, so I haven't booked October flights yet; I'll probably do that in March (~6 months out).

You should definitely do it. Do it.

• Like 1

First round of 2020 was frustrating but I got it together on the back and birdied 18 for an 87.  

Interested to see what the new system does to my handicap.  I am probably the person they are looking to affect the most.  13.1 index and usually have good looks at birdie every round mixed in with a bunch of doubles.

2 swings with the new 60 and it was not pretty.

I now go PW/52/56/60.

Yardages on those for full swings are 130/110/90/60.  Wonder if I am maximizing my wedge potential.

I carry a 60, but really only use it when the situation requires it around the greens. I don't get much practice time in these days, especially on the short game. I've found that using the older style bump and runs with an 8i, 9i, or PW around the greens is much easier to judge distance consistently if you aren't putting in the practice. 

In 2019 I played 12 times (having two young kids is bad for time on the golf course). Broke 80 in five of my first six rounds but never really sniffed the 70's again after that. Went to the range a couple times last week and worked a lot on dropping the club back on plane in my downswing. Seems to be working (for now). Here's to 2020 my fellow hackers!

19 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Bandon has seasons, and golf and rooms both vary depending on time of year. The good thing is, Bandon doesn't play any pricing games. No packages, discounts, etc - you pay what's on the website, and all rates are published at the beginning of the year. Here's the 2020 room rates table, for example - 2020 Rates (Bandon Website)

From there, it's just a math problem - how many nights, how many rounds, caddie or no caddie. Travel and food are the other two big expenses (I include booze with 'food'). Again, the Bandon website tells you everything you need to know about travel. The closest airport has 2-3 flights a day (SFO and DEN connecting), otherwise Eugene or Portland, and a rental car. FRom what I"ve seen, the United Airlines prices aren't really realistic a year out, so I haven't booked October flights yet; I'll probably do that in March (~6 months out).

I'm playing Bandon again this year in late April... before the new course opens but oh well as it should be after the Preserve opens.

To DrewLaws question about when to go as it get's close to late summer the prices go up on the rounds as it presumably better weather then. Before April The Preserve is not open and the rounds are the cheapest. Maximizing your dollar you can play two rounds a day so the second one is half price and then it's just all about lodging and what you are going to spend on food and booze. Each year I'm probably spending ~$750 on travel; ~$2500-3000 on lodging, golf, food and drink while on property; $100 a round for caddies; and $400 or so for day money games and gambling in the bunker bar.

• Like 1

I'm playing Bandon again this year in late April... before the new course opens but oh well as it should be after the Preserve opens.

To DrewLaws question about when to go as it get's close to late summer the prices go up on the rounds as it presumably better weather then. Before April The Preserve is not open and the rounds are the cheapest. Maximizing your dollar you can play two rounds a day so the second one is half price and then it's just all about lodging and what you are going to spend on food and booze. Each year I'm probably spending ~$750 on travel; ~$2500-3000 on lodging, golf, food and drink while on property; $100 a round for caddies; and $400 or so for day money games and gambling in the bunker bar.

Have you ever been to St Andrews? How does the golf at Bandon compare? I went to St Andrews last summer and the golf was spectacular. Getting there is more expensive but the lodging and golf would be less than the amounts you gave.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:01 PM, chitwood said:

Yeah, I finally got fitted for wedges and went with 50/54/58.  60 seemed like overkill for me.  Just open the 58.  If I played in places with thicker rough, maybe that would change.

Yeah, the 60 digs too much when slamming it into the fairway at DNat.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, drewlaws said:

I've always gone in the fall, and from everyone I know that has been out there I think it's the best time to go.  During the summer the wind is often howling, and even though the temperature is probably 5-10 degrees higher on average, it doesn't feel any warmer.  If you go in October or early November you can still get in 36 holes if you can grab the early tee time and early replay time (think 7:30-8 am for first round and 1:30 or so for replay).  The rains don't typically come in until later in November, but that's really the only risk.  If you have good rain gear it shouldn't matter.

Back in 2013 my group flew into Seattle and played Chambers Bay the day we arrived, and then jumped in our cars and drove down to Portland.  Played Pumpkin Ridge the next day before heading down to Bandon.  Chambers was worth the trip, Pumpkin Ridge not so much.  If I had it to do over again I'd figure a way to get onto Eugene CC for a round before going into Bandon.  However, you really don't need any extra golf.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, capnamerca said:

This.  All of this.  I believe the rates get the lowest starting on the week before Thanksgiving.  This year we went out right before the rate drop thinking we would have lower rates but missed by a week.  We were still almost able to get 2 groups through 36 holes two days while we were there.  Weather was fantastic--highs in the mid 50's, some wind but not crazy, and no rain.

20 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Winter/Spring has the most rain and cold, so that's when it's the cheapest.  

On my last few trips the total for lodging, food, golf, drink has been right where ZBT estimated, but I've bumped up my tips to $120 for our caddies, who we have used for over 10 years.  $750 or so sounds about right for travel, but if you reserve early enough and are willing to drive from Portland there are deals to be had (think $300 or less plus shared rental car).

• Like 1

So how did everyone’s handicap change? Curious to see what drop you saw, if any. I wasn’t keeping it last year, but just plugged in 10 rounds dating back to Sept and was given a 13.1. Seems in line with where I thought I was under the old rules.

Mine went from 11.0 to 11.1.  I thought it would be at least a point lower.  I'm guessing my 9th and 10th best of my last 20 scores were very close to the average of the top 8 and then there's the deal that you don't multiply the average by .96 anymore.  

Edited by HouTex

I didn't know something like this really existed. I hit a bucket of gap wedges on New Years Eve and was feeling great. Went back to the range 24 hours later and there they were. No exaggeration, 75% of balls were straight right off the hosel. Same story this Thursday, Friday was about 50/50, and today was only a few, but it has completely wrecked my confidence standing over the ball, not knowing if I was going to even make contact. All the while, I'm smoking the driver, and my short game is still in good shape, but I wouldn't break 100 hitting everything else like this.

I didn't know something like this really existed. I hit a bucket of gap wedges on New Years Eve and was feeling great. Went back to the range 24 hours later and there they were. No exaggeration, 75% of balls were straight right off the hosel. Same story this Thursday, Friday was about 50/50, and today was only a few, but it has completely wrecked my confidence standing over the ball, not knowing if I was going to even make contact. All the while, I'm smoking the driver, and my short game is still in good shape, but I wouldn't break 100 hitting everything else like this.

Have you tried turning your hat and moving everything in one pocket to the other?

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I had a new swing thought (go figure) that was working really well, but then the shank showed up with it mid round on a roadside Par 3 and I almost hit a car. I fought it the rest of the round and then struggled with it for several weeks before it totally disappeared. I of course stopped thinking that swing thought since, though I’m not 100% certain it was the cause.

22 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

My index dropped from 5.3 to 5.0 under new system.

I dropped from a 2.6 to a 2.2. That's some legit bullshit ~18% change in 'cap.

6 handicap and shanks?!? Did not think that was possible! When I was at an 8 I was playing what seemed to be nearly flawless for me. I don’t know how you low handicappers do it.

I'm living proof that low handicaps and hosel-tovs can co-exist. Ask several on this thread. Downrange and hard right is not a safe place to stand, esp when I'm first warming up.

Edited by capnamerca

7 hours ago, capnamerca said:

I dropped from a 2.6 to a 2.2. That's some legit bullshit ~18% change in 'cap.

I'm living proof that low handicaps and hosel-tovs can co-exist. Ask several on this thread. Downrange and hard right is not a safe place to stand, esp when I'm first warming up.

15% drop sir.

Spyglass today. Not much to say. Still trying to process it. What a fucking place.

Very rusty 42 on the front and a mildly surprising 36 on the back. 

Played golds. Didn't tip it, so take that into consideration.  Tough to complain.

Probably the easiest looking hardest course I've played. 

20200114_143823.jpg

20200114_133618.jpg

20200114_113647.jpg

20200114_112636.jpg

• Like 5

Starting to look like much ado about nothing. These changes won’t have any notable impact on a mid vs low handicap match

The program didn’t retroactively change the old scores to the new net bogey system. Let’s see how our next 10-15 rounds go under the new scoring system. I’m an 11.1 index and I think it will go down a stroke or two. I can now take an 8 on two par 5s at my course (which i rarely make) but I will be limited to 5s on all the par 3s vs 7s under the old format.

The program didn’t retroactively change the old scores to the new net bogey system.

True, though it DOES use the new formula (avg of best 8 of last 20 rounds) effective immediately so your index can change due to the new rules even if you haven’t played a round in 2020
  • Like 1

Last year I took my first putting lesson and took a swing lesson with the camera.

Putting is an no-brainer and I should’ve done it years ago. 2 or 3 strokes off the game right there.

But the swing/camera but was a revelation. I could’ve had someone tell me a hundred times what I was doing ‘wrong’ but until I saw it on camera, it didn’t register. So cool. Left arm straight, hands out and away from the body. Good shit.