No WAY is that the Same Actor/Actress

EvilCaseMcCoy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 1:39 PM, UTCzech III said:

Not really a "No Way" situation, but I had no idea how many up and comers there were on Miami Vice, this is a really fun twitter thread, be sure to click on it to see all the others listed below this one...

You could put this in the "Holy Sh*t" thread.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:07 PM, Hook1997 said:

4951374A-F7F2-4092-81BA-29301D7FA4B3.jpeg

Karl Urban was in a (too) short-lived tv show called Almost Human with Michael Ealy and Minka Kelly.

Anyhoo, there was an episode with a song by the Canadian group Strange Advance called World's Away. Maybe I was just in the right mood, but I thought that was one of the best matchings of music with the scene. Brilliant, I thought.

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I just watched Death of a Salesman (1985) and Happy Loman is played by Stephen Lang.

image.png.99c1c579b9c84855b8316b8db10761da.png

And I thought the name was familiar. 

He later gained relevancy and was introduced to me as none other than Ike "let's have a spelling bee" Clanton:

image.png.9f9e973ff9812c55b091b6012f77e62a.png

Great actor. He also did a fine job as Gen. George Pickett in Gettysburg.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Karl Urban was in a (too) short-lived tv show called Almost Human with Michael Ealy and Minka Kelly.

Anyhoo, there was an episode with a song by the Canadian group Strange Advance called World's Away. Maybe I was just in the right mood, but I thought that was one of the best matchings of music with the scene. Brilliant, I thought.

I miss that show. Definitely ended too soon.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Damn. I didn't know that. And I'm not sure the movie works the other way.

I think Rick Moranis would’ve been fine playing the mobster but playing the straight man isn’t Steve Martin’s strength. And he could play the mobster role bigger and more outrageous.

Such a great film. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/13/2021 at 2:07 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

I just watched Death of a Salesman (1985) and Happy Loman is played by Stephen Lang.

image.png.99c1c579b9c84855b8316b8db10761da.png

And I thought the name was familiar. 

He later gained relevancy and was introduced to me as none other than Ike "let's have a spelling bee" Clanton:

image.png.9f9e973ff9812c55b091b6012f77e62a.png

Don't forget his incendiary role in Manhunter.

Stephen Lang

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think Rick Moranis would’ve been fine playing the mobster but playing the straight man isn’t Steve Martin’s strength. And he could play the mobster role bigger and more outrageous.

Such a great film. 

Love this dance scene with Kirby (Bill Irwin)

Bill Irwin dancing on Sesame Street

And to stick with theme, Bill Irwin was also in Eight Men Out

image.thumb.jpeg.7c40473bff7ea9a103823d7903afc937.jpeg

On 10/21/2020 at 4:03 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Apologies if this one has already been posted, but Do The Right Thing was on the other night and holy shit if Buggin' Out isn't Gustavo Frain.

TIL that Buggin Out from Do The Right Thing and Gus from Breaking Bad were  the same actor : movies

So I'm watching Trading Places last night and I do a triple take on the dude in the cell with Eddie when he's doing his "Quart of Blood Technique." 

43188fb65b7678fee2060357d5bd9abf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 8

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I guess you never watched Parenthood or Planes Trains & Automobiles.

Of course I have. I have them both on DVD. You think he’s the straight man in either? Have you forgotten where he plays the cowboy at his son’s birthday party in Parenthood? Or, hell, lots of scenes in PT&A. You want to see him play the straight man? Check out The Spanish Prisoner sometime (which I also have on DVD).

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Of course I have. I have them both on DVD. You think he’s the straight man in either? Have you forgotten where he plays the cowboy at his son’s birthday party in Parenthood? Or, hell, lots of scenes in PT&A. You want to see him play the straight man? Check out The Spanish Prisoner sometime (which I also have on DVD).

Unpopular opinions thread is here.

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You want to see him play the straight man? Check out The Spanish Prisoner sometime (which I also have on DVD).

The Spanish Prisoner is an oft overlooked neo-noir gem by David Mamet. I absolutely LOVE Steve Martin playing against type, but you've got your head up your ass if you think that role is a "straight man." His performance as Jimmy Dell is a "heavy." "Straight man" is purely a comedic term.

• Hook 'Em 2

Straight Man is really a term for comedic sketches, think Dean Martin to Jerry Lewis, Bud Abbott to Lou Costello, Harvey Korman to Tim Conway, rarely are you going to see 2 hours of a straight man in a movie.  That said Martin is the straight man in the vast majority of scenes in films like PT&A, Parenthood, Father of the Bride and hell even as Lucky Day in the Three Amigos (letting Short do his Zany thing and Chase do his Chase thing).  He's also notably on the other side of the one of the most brilliant straight man performances ever delivered by Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  That's the genius of Martin....he can be both extremely effectively.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You’ve convinced me. My Blue Heaven would’ve been just as good, if not better, if Martin had played the FBI agent and Moranis had played the mobster. JFC. 

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The Spanish Prisoner is an oft overlooked neo-noir gem by David Mamet. I absolutely LOVE Steve Martin playing against type, but you've got your head up your ass if you think that role is a "straight man." His performance as Jimmy Dell is a "heavy." "Straight man" is purely a comedic term.

Fair enough. Martin was playing a dramatic role and wasn’t a comedy foil like Bud Abbott who I’d consider to be a classic straight man. Martin’s roles in TP&A and Parenthood were nothing like Bud Abbott. Just because he was satirizing an uptight dude didn’t make him a straight man. Groucho, Harpo, and Chico weren’t straight men. Zeppo was. Martin was no Zeppo in those films. He wasn’t the wild and crazy guy from his stand-up and some of his early films like The Jerk and The Man With Two Brains. But he wasn’t playing the straight man in either Parenthood or PT&A.

Also, Three Amigos and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles were two of the best collaborations between funny men in cinematic history. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’ve convinced me. My Blue Heaven would’ve been just as good, if not better, if Martin had played the FBI agent and Moranis had played the mobster. JFC. 

Fair enough. Martin was playing a dramatic role and wasn’t a comedy foil like Bud Abbott who I’d consider to be a classic straight man. Martin’s roles in TP&A and Parenthood were nothing like Bud Abbott. Just because he was satirizing an uptight dude didn’t make him a straight man. Groucho, Harpo, and Chico weren’t straight men. Zeppo was. Martin was no Zeppo in those films. He wasn’t the wild and crazy guy from his stand-up and some of his early films like The Jerk and The Man With Two Brains. But he wasn’t playing the straight man in either Parenthood or PT&A.

Also, Three Amigos and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles were two of the best collaborations between funny men in cinematic history. 

When shown to be mistaken Whatthebuck decides to dumble down. 

JFC you can be a beating. 

take the loss pussy

• Hook 'Em 4

My Blue Heaven is based loosely on Henry Hill from Goodfellas.  Scorsese based Goodfellas off the book Wiseguy which was written by the husband of the writer of the screenplay for My Blue Heaven.  

From Henry Hill's memoirs...  

At night, I’d get half-gassed and call Nick in New York just to bullshit. It was like therapy for me. Sometimes Nick’s wife, Nora, would answer the phone and tell me, “Hey, Nick is sleeping. What’s the matter, Henry? This is Aunt Nora.” Meanwhile, she was picking my brain for a script she was writing. I had no idea. She was on the other end taking notes. She was a piece of work… In 1990, the same year my movie Goodfellas came out, she had a little movie released called My Blue Heaven, starring Steve Martin, about a New Yorker in Witness Protection out west — just like I had been in Omaha. When I saw it I flipped because she used some of the stuff I had told her on the phone for her movie scenes.

• 7 months later...

I get that it spans about ten years so there is some aging, but to go from heir to Downton Abbey to Russian Eurovision singer was transformative. I don't know if the pics are a good sample, but I didn't recognize him as the guy from Downton because I didn't watch the series until recently. His eyes are a very bright blue so I can spot him now.

~2010 Downton Abbey

Matthew Crawley GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

2014 The Guest

(What's The) Name Of The Song: The Guest - UK Trailer ...

2019 Lucy in the Sky

Movie Screencaptures - LucyInTheSky2019-0489 - Gallery ...

2020 Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

Dan Stevens revela que se inspirou em Philipp Kirkorov ...

• Hook 'Em 1