2020 Soccer Catchall Thread

Firemans4Horn

On 1/1/2021 at 5:57 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Last night I apparently ordered Inverting The Pyramid: The History of Soccer Tactics on Amazon.  That's what happens when you drink too much on NYE and then start watching Ted Lasso while waiting for midnight. It actually works out pretty well, because I've been wanting to learn more about soccer. Is this a good book for someone who is trying to better understand what he sees when watching Premier League games? Are there other books out there I should look at?

The best way to understand the PL right now is to watch Chelsea games, see everything that every player at every position does on the pitch, and how they all work with each other, and then understand that that is not what you want to be doing.

Jesting aside - it really is a beautifully simple game. Things that get the ball closer to the back of the net are generally good, things that don't are generally bad. 

Probably the toughest things to understand at first glance would be playing the ball out of the back/switching sides (i.e. when the attack has possession but elects to "reset" the offense by playing it back towards their own goal - or playing it back to then play it up the opposite side), and how offsides works when it comes to defenders keeping guys offsides or attackers playing themselves on.

The more you watch the more you'll understand how to evaluate chances - and determine if a player with the ball made the best available move or not. It's kind of like basketball in that regard in that sometimes bad decisions can still result in points - and really good play doesn't guarantee you a score - although in soccer scoring is so much more valuable.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 2