I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Bone in ribeye. Sous vide @ 128, crusted with crushed peppercorns, seared, au poivre sauce, asparagus with hollandaise, salet. 

A2-E2-AA76-97-D0-4764-AE0-B-8-A8-B1184-A

C9-A84-BE5-EBAA-44-BB-A714-DAB675043-AD7

43-D45304-D291-4-BA8-99-F8-A0-E4039-A6-D

0508012-F-F2-C2-414-D-A5-E1-6-C1077652-A

5-F05-CD4-D-C9-AD-4-A99-8507-393-C972343

1-A3-B42-E9-1-C54-4740-B471-789-D02-AA6-

I don't understand half of what you said, but in my opinion you ruined a great looking steak by putting a bunch of crap on it. Ha!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, fwtxbevo said:

I don't understand half of what you said, but in my opinion you ruined a great looking steak by putting a bunch of crap on it. Ha!

I too am not much for a sauce with my steak.  Usually don't stray much further than a chimichurri on the side. But au poivre is stupid easy to make and brings it. Better with game than steak, imo.   

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I too am not much for a sauce with my steak.  Usually don't stray much further than a chimichurri on the side. But au poivre is stupid easy to make and brings it. Better with game than steak, imo.   

Ain't nothing wrong with a steak au poivre now and then.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I too have been a staunch "no sauce on steaks" guy my entire life. Just because I was raised that way and told all my life that, like BBQ, "a good steak doesn't need it". But I'll be damned if the few times I've had sauce on my steak, it hasn't been some of the better steaks I've had.  So, fuck the "rules" and eat what tastes good.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:
pichanha

Did you get the butcher to cut it specifically or did you go to somewhere la michoacana?

That’s what I was wondering.  You can’t find culottes or proper sirloin cuts that I’ve seen in grocery stores.  Or I guess you could buy a bunch of larger cuts and butcher them yourself, saving the scraps for stew or stroganoff or something.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

They get spotted at Costco around the country fairly often, but inconsistently. And the Costco one it isn't a proper picanha trimmed to the correct vein, it's a sirloin rump cap and is sold as such.

Random image posted by Sivan Kroitoru-Greenberg on FB explaining - rump cap contains the picanha but the picanha is not the entire rump cap. Picanha is the meat from tip up to the third vein.

309065666_picanhaveins.thumb.jpg.f55b39ea1eb26d7ae206554b8943de00.jpg

Guga has a nice YT video showing this and explaining how to cut as well. Note the cut direction varies depending if you are grilling and serving as steaks, or are skewering and slicing off the skewer churrasco-style.

Edited by Sam Lin
Guga
  • Hook 'Em 1