I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Grabbed one of those pre-seasoned bone-in prime rib cuts from HEB yesterday for the wife and I to eat for Xmas dinner. Single bone, 2.5 lbs or so covered in roast seasoning, added some of my own seasoning (mostly a ton of SnP) and threw it on the Weber Kettle to smoke for an hour or so, let it rest for a half hour or longer and then finished it in cast iron in the oven at 500. Turned out pretty damn good. Made some cilantro chimichurri to dress it up. Side note: the potatoes dauphinoise were exceptional.PXL_20211226_013240917.thumb.jpg.fff7b2cd23a28bf363a78e9526ba8811.jpgPXL_20211226_014101293.thumb.jpg.e5d4fc927693a1a02f1d1621c2745d87.jpg

PXL_20211226_015948931.jpg

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, brown water said:

Stumbled upon a couple wagyu picanha roasts at HEB this morning. Bonus that they were $4.99 / lb.  Fed 7 including 2 teenage boys for under $30. 

F29A0F63-B640-4421-AF20-0B26FA0FD707.jpeg

F23A4D88-8277-4BF3-9FC9-F360E6857CCC.jpeg

21D5C1DB-4320-43B8-9087-FE967DFF5E19.jpeg

D9FDC3DF-1DAC-4CAF-803D-E813FE0975EE.jpeg

4CBFDAF1-E5F2-4F3C-8715-9DBBEDF26F7E.png

FBF98D8D-9453-448F-AD95-AAE65A551ACB.jpeg

E4A48221-46D4-4891-8DB1-1E1FA4FFE853.jpeg

4881DC04-C125-41ED-8C83-B468A68AF0EC.jpeg

We all cooking in the 1800s this man is cooking in 3044. 

also never thought I’d say this but I love all your meats 

• Hook 'Em 1

forgot the before pics, but wagyu strip and prime 1 bone roast 1.95lbs pre trim. Wife is preggo so it needed to “touch” 140. I did mine how I like it. Hit 122 after the rest. 

275 over oak (lump) and pecan (chunk) till 128 and 110 respectively. Then cranked up to hell and straight onto the coals for 30 sec each side. 

3756A66F-ADCF-4480-92E5-BC62765E69DB.thumb.jpeg.151ac25d0ab85d3d800a00b50907cf18.jpegCC613D8E-1392-4CC4-AE03-964CFF6D9990.thumb.jpeg.9b7e876751a992184ed0334a55ad8923.jpegF828EC2D-23AB-44E2-B704-4116B8C888A8.thumb.jpeg.d7f0dd35fb2fa4ad4f2c69fe9a673bd2.jpegA7FCC52F-D1F8-4D0F-93B3-DC35A98FB03F.thumb.jpeg.b7265cfb95d54083b979ab3aca62c068.jpeg2B83C9CD-086D-4062-9C55-23BC8DF78CCA.thumb.jpeg.0b566893239163541d20a2fce367ac14.jpeg5249750A-ECD2-489F-8580-0FEA1719798B.thumb.jpeg.dd6dcee2c1ece6fa3f95985b06b91185.jpeg70FCF854-BEB8-47AB-9335-0EC18BFAF364.thumb.jpeg.8ebecef91689ac93417aa4f2eef1da9d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 5

On 1/9/2022 at 11:55 PM, C-Man said:

in cast iron and into my new Ooni.

Ooni and other pizza ovens give a fantastic sear.

Unclear if you preheated the cast iron in the Ooni beforehand, but if you did not, then all it did was block heat and also soak it up, lowering your air temps. If you don't preheat, use a thin flat dish (no walls), preferably thin aluminum so it doesn't have much thermal mass, or put your meat on a wire rack sitting on a flat dish. This'll let the meat get exposed to more heat. If you do preheat, then it's much less an issue, though you might still look for a flat griddle plate of cast iron so you don't have pan walls blocking your heat. (You could just invert your skillet and use the underside of it to cook, but juices will run off the sides and may damage your Ooni stone.)

See roughly pic 20 in the photos here, how Keens sears in their Salamander - very similar principle. You want the meat to "see" as much of the oven walls as possible, to get all the radiant heat it can. Pan walls block that side heat.

https://ny.eater.com/2015/1/30/7948527/the-mutton-chop-at-keens-is-a-new-york-city-classic#20

Screenshot pic of pan:

988373203_keensseardish.JPG.c2c272d572466634c4e278c974ce7e3d.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Ooni and other pizza ovens give a fantastic sear.

Unclear if you preheated the cast iron in the Ooni beforehand, but if you did not, then all it did was block heat and also soak it up, lowering your air temps. If you don't preheat, use a thin flat dish (no walls), preferably thin aluminum so it doesn't have much thermal mass, or put your meat on a wire rack sitting on a flat dish. This'll let the meat get exposed to more heat. If you do preheat, then it's much less an issue, though you might still look for a flat griddle plate of cast iron so you don't have pan walls blocking your heat. (You could just invert your skillet and use the underside of it to cook, but juices will run off the sides and may damage your Ooni stone.)

See roughly pic 20 in the photos here, how Keens sears in their Salamander - very similar principle. You want the meat to "see" as much of the oven walls as possible, to get all the radiant heat it can. Pan walls block that side heat.

https://ny.eater.com/2015/1/30/7948527/the-mutton-chop-at-keens-is-a-new-york-city-classic#20

Screenshot pic of pan:

988373203_keensseardish.JPG.c2c272d572466634c4e278c974ce7e3d.JPG

Interesting. I did not pre-heat the cast iron skillet. But the steak was completely cooked via sous vide so all I needed was a sear. I let it go 2 mins on each side and got that amazing char. I have a vintage Wagner cast iron skillet my FIL gave me for Xmas one year but I was afraid of steak juice popping all over the stone so I went with the 8-inch skillet instead. The handle was scorching hot upon removal after 4 mins so I need to locate better heat-resistant gloves because the ones I have didn't completely insulate my hands. It was a mad dash to the stove inside!

On 9/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, Da Fino said:

Fuck Pete’s. I will never recommend them. Shit quality and shit people. HEB has far better meat than those cunts.

Same recommendation, not quite as angry at them.  Worked near them for a couple years, tried my hardest to like them since I loved  convenience and concept.  But they made it tough by just being pricks.

Anyone used cedar to grill up a ribeye?  Does it impart too much unwanted flavor? 

We have many campfires each winter at my ranchito that are primarily cedar-fueled since we have plenty of cedar to chop down....and I've never wanted to cook up ribeyes because grilling them normal way is so fn delicious and I'd get mad being all hungry and ruining my ribeye. 

But think it would be fun to try it so I'm curious if anyone has experience with cedar and steak.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Anyone used cedar to grill up a ribeye?  Does it impart too much unwanted flavor? 

We have many campfires each winter at my ranchito that are primarily cedar-fueled since we have plenty of cedar to chop down....and I've never wanted to cook up ribeyes because grilling them normal way is so fn delicious and I'd get mad being all hungry and ruining my ribeye. 

But think it would be fun to try it so I'm curious if anyone has experience with cedar and steak.

no-nope.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

That’s a negatory on cedar with anything.

I lived in Oregon when every place you went had cedar planked salmon. Yuck. Hammering it on a cedar shingle.

Instead of using cedar, it’s far easier to just rub your steak with a used urinal cake to get the same flavor.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

That’s a negatory on cedar with anything.

I lived in Oregon when every place you went had cedar planked salmon. Yuck. Hammering it on a cedar shingle.

Instead of using cedar, it’s far easier to just rub your steak with a used urinal cake to get the same flavor.

I prefer tri-tip with my urinal cake rub more than ribeye.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

You can use a dutch oven or something that will keep the fire/smoke off the steak and let it cook inside. You don't want to expose any food you want to eat to cedar fire/smoke directly it will taste like straight ass. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Think of it this way, the heat that went into getting your cast iron too hot for you to carry is heat that didn't make it to your steak. Try a cheap aluminum baking sheet if you have one (and don't mind never using it for 'baking' again).

I don't think other material will give as good as sear as the cast iron, though, right? At that point, all I was going for was a good char.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I don't think other material will give as good as sear as the cast iron, though, right? At that point, all I was going for was a good char.

Isn't it getting the sear from overhead like a broiler in the Ooni unless you preheat the cast iron?

I've got a small, short sided cast iron pan that I have, in the past, put on a Weber kettle with the lid cracked slightly.  I'll preheat it and the lid thermometer will peg on the Weber.  I feel like, in that situation, I'm getting a combination of heat from the pan and reflected back down from the lid.  But mostly from the pan.  But since that time, I've opted just to toss the steaks on the grill over the coals after letting the grill itself get raging hot with the lid cracked.  Spit balling here.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Isn't it getting the sear from overhead like a broiler in the Ooni unless you preheat the cast iron?

I've got a small, short sided cast iron pan that I have, in the past, put on a Weber kettle with the lid cracked slightly.  I'll preheat it and the lid thermometer will peg on the Weber.  I feel like, in that situation, I'm getting a combination of heat from the pan and reflected back down from the lid.  But mostly from the pan.  But since that time, I've opted just to toss the steaks on the grill over the coals after letting the grill itself get raging hot with the lid cracked.  Spit balling here.

I agree. I just didn't pre-heat my skillet. Will try that next time and cut it down to 75-90 seconds per side. I think that should be perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

Well, hello, gents, it’s been a while.  Catching up on the thread, I see that excellent work abounds.  I probably gained 10lbs just looking at the pics.

A friend came up for the Dallas Safari Club convention last weekend, and he brought these strips from an HEB in Austin.  Grilled over lump with a kiss of mesquite.  Like butter.

DE99534D-FA58-4F3A-B3FC-2B01A5054931.jpeg

B194742F-9C6E-4DA9-9CD3-30622D2FB0B9.jpeg

E96E2FB0-F125-4619-8004-69875F18A009.jpeg

Damn that looks great.  Esp for straight up grill work with no RS or SV involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I agree. I just didn't pre-heat my skillet. Will try that next time and cut it down to 75-90 seconds per side. I think that should be perfect.

I think what @Sam Lin is trying to say (and you should trust him, he's pre-med), is that your regular skillet really isn't optimal for what you're trying to do. Pre-heating it is better than cold, but it's still kind of half pregnant.

Using a regular skillet on a stove top to get a sear is using the surface of the skillet to give it the sear, as there is no heat source from anywhere else. In that case, skillet's are optimal. But, you're actually using the Ooni much more like a salamander in that you're using the ambient heat in the Ooni as your heat source. So, the cooking surface you're using really doesn't make a difference since the majority of the sear isn't coming from it anyway, it's coming from the ambient heat of the Ooni.

Now, if whatever surface you're using is cold, it will actually take away from some of the ambient heat of the Ooni and work against you. Additionally, a normal skillet with sides will actually work to block some of the ambient heat source from the Ooni too. So, using a cold regular skillet (which you did the first round) actually workrd against you double time...cold taking away from ambient heat and sides blocking ambient heat. Just pre-heating that will help, but it will still be working against you as the sides will block heat (which you can see is pretty clearly happening in your first pic).

That said, ideally, you should use something flat (no sides to block heat) and something pre-heated (so the cold doesn't absorb ambient heat). Whatever surface that is (iron, steal, etc) doesn't really make a shit. Just be sure it's flat (or mostly flat) and it's preheated and you should get your optimal sear.

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong, in which case @Sam Lin can clarify and delete / ban me and shit.

BTW...happy new year and congrats on getting the Ooni.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m sure it’s been asked 100 times, but why are y’all cutting up the entire steaks into slices? Are y’all feeding small children?

A perfectly cooked, seared, and rested steak makes for a fantastic presentation sliced. And in a really nice restaurant, it can be nice to enjoy your meat without sawing away and holding a knife in your hand. 

That said, most restaurants that serve this way will bring it to you on a super hot plate or stone that’s thick and designed to retain heat.  That type of presentation at home is usually impractical or impossible, which is why I keep my steaks whole. Your steak will stay warmer longer. 

2 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Well, hello, gents, it’s been a while.  Catching up on the thread, I see that excellent work abounds.  I probably gained 10lbs just looking at the pics.

A friend came up for the Dallas Safari Club convention last weekend, and he brought these strips from an HEB in Austin.  Grilled over lump with a kiss of mesquite.  Like butter.

DE99534D-FA58-4F3A-B3FC-2B01A5054931.jpeg

B194742F-9C6E-4DA9-9CD3-30622D2FB0B9.jpeg

E96E2FB0-F125-4619-8004-69875F18A009.jpeg

Nice work! That looks amazing! Too bad you were running low on lettuce though.

30 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

A perfectly cooked, seared, and rested steak makes for a fantastic presentation sliced. And in a really nice restaurant, it can be nice to enjoy your meat without sawing away and holding a knife in your hand. 

That said, most restaurants that serve this way will bring it to you on a super hot plate or stone that’s thick and designed to retain heat.  That type of presentation at home is usually impractical or impossible, which is why I keep my steaks whole. Your steak will stay warmer longer. 

Also of note, Peter Luger sucks.

24 minutes ago, luke duke said:

In what universe does a properly cooked steak sit on one’s plate long enough to cool off?

I cut my kids’ steak up into pieces so they don’t kill themselves. Then, after a few minutes where it’s clear they aren’t going to eat it, I start eating them. They’re always room temp.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I cut my kids’ steak up into pieces so they don’t kill themselves. Then, after a few minutes where it’s clear they aren’t going to eat it, I start eating them. They’re always room temp.

Yeah, this is it for me too. And I will confess, I do not warm my family’s dishes in the oven for the average weekend grill meal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

Are there people who go to the trouble of making a beautiful steak at home and then serve it on a cold plate?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't like the "hot plate" like the old SNL sketch deal.  but often, if I'm cooking them outside...wife will make a side or two in the oven.  And I'll take the pizza stone we keep in there from the hot oven while sides are going...and put the larger steak plate on there after I take it off grill.  And from there I can cut off a few slices for the kids or whatever but it stays warm, but not insanely hot.  I can safely put those plates down on the table minutes later as we enjoy the meal.  But yeah, the "hot plates" from steakhouses are sometimes way overkill.  Now if it's her family eating with us, I'll cook the living shit outta the steak, temp it, show 'em that it's already 180 degrees and will only get hotter in the next ten minutes, then put it on a cold plate so at least it'll be their taste in steak and not my flatware that scars their wrists for years to come.  

I keep my steak in tact, but I'll frequently cut a few slices for family so they can see that they steak is done to their liking.  Plus at Well Done+...not like any fucking juice is gonna escape.  Beef Evaporation is not only culinarily real...but also my Hope Solo cover band's name.  

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m sure it’s been asked 100 times, but why are y’all cutting up the entire steaks into slices? Are y’all feeding small children?

Most of my family doesn't eat that much meat in general, and half of them don't eat beef. We usually share one big steak at the table. For shared family-style serving, slicing it beforehand makes it easy to serve. If I grill one steak for myself, I'm not pre-slicing it.

And yeah, warm plate or not, by the time I get to eat it, the meat is usually cold.

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Lando's post pretty much nailed it.

Sear is a function of heat into the meat. Cast iron preheated on the stove or in oven, you're putting heat into the cast iron and then relying on conduction from cast iron into meat. It is a great material for that use because of high thermal mass (in layman's terms, the metal holds a lot of heat). In a Salamander/Ooni, your heat is the radiant heat from the oven faces. That heat needs to go directly into your steak, not into heating up the pan and then from pan into steak. Unless you preheat your pan, the pan material is doing nothing to sear, it is actually a heat sink taking in heat that should be going into your steak, and the more thermal mass, the more heat the pan is taking in. That's why I recommended thin aluminum if you don't preheat; it is the lowest thermal mass, so it will take the least amount of heat to heat it up. Now, if you DO preheat, a cast iron preheated in Ooni might be the ultimate sear, but be very careful of the underside as it will sear very quickly (and the pan will be hot as f*** when you try to handle it).

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I don't like the "hot plate" like the old SNL sketch deal.  but often, if I'm cooking them outside...wife will make a side or two in the oven.  And I'll take the pizza stone we keep in there from the hot oven while sides are going...and put the larger steak plate on there after I take it off grill.  And from there I can cut off a few slices for the kids or whatever but it stays warm, but not insanely hot.  I can safely put those plates down on the table minutes later as we enjoy the meal.  But yeah, the "hot plates" from steakhouses are sometimes way overkill.  Now if it's her family eating with us, I'll cook the living shit outta the steak, temp it, show 'em that it's already 180 degrees and will only get hotter in the next ten minutes, then put it on a cold plate so at least it'll be their taste in steak and not my flatware that scars their wrists for years to come.  

I keep my steak in tact, but I'll frequently cut a few slices for family so they can see that they steak is done to their liking.  Plus at Well Done+...not like any fucking juice is gonna escape.  Beef Evaporation is not only culinarily real...but also my Hope Solo cover band's name.  

I hope you don’t spend too much for the well done crowd.  They’d be getting whatever Tom Thumb has on sale at Casa de Convinced.

• Hook 'Em 1