I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Yup. It's Asia, extended family still does it. To their credit they do a lot less than they used to, esp on my steaks. It kills me inside every time.

You want a well done prime steak with ketchup? No my concern. You be you. Don’t apologize for your loved ones taste. I remember a colleague making fun of ketchup on a steak as he poured a whole bottle of 57 on his $50 filet.

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I frequent this thread and eating steak is non-negotiable. But beef has gotten stupid expensive here.  Enter beef skirt, which is easily a third or less of the price I pay for ribeye. 

A south Texan sees skirt and says “fajitas.” That is a brilliant life choice. I would never suggest to someone planning to make fajitas out of skirt to to NOT make fajitas. 

But. You could also make a roasted garlic-chive butter. You could mash up some savory sweet potatoes. You could cut that skirt into steaks (skinny ends for the kids) and cook just up to medium rare on a hot grill. And it could be beefy and juicy and as good a bite of steak as you could want on a weekend night. 

image.thumb.jpeg.87a1aa3dff5af2a57e27133037d9d7ad.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cfa42847817e7296a014a35d108d2728.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e9840484d37c5168fc4157211807d49c.jpeg

In this area ribeye is cheaper than skirt steak by a dollar or two a pound. One of the things I miss about not living in Texas. 

• 2 weeks later...

more 'when in rome'* cooking...

my first tri-tip 😊 marinated 24 hours with pretty much everything i could think of lol...balsamic, soy, worcestershire, red wine, olive oil; fresh chopped thyme, rosemary and garlic; red and black pepper; onion powder, paprika, prolly a few other things i forgot lol

super heated grill, seared about 4 mins/side, moved off flame for probably an additional 10-12 mins total, temp just shy of 140 when i took it off.

def not as rare as i like but perfect for my mate... it's always tricky when I'm just cooking one piece of meat for us both, as he likes med-well and i'm med-rare.

anyways... it was fucking delicious and tender as hell! plenty leftover for quesadillas or tacos. not bad for <$12 from CostCo.😄 don't judge me! 

20221116_184056.thumb.jpg.b06b66c419118fa6a59c7e39d96c96ce.jpg20221116_184412.thumb.jpg.ec078e157e836fd9201f958746384a34.jpg

*rome=colorado in my case 😜

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 11:46 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I frequent this thread and eating steak is non-negotiable. But beef has gotten stupid expensive here.  Enter beef skirt, which is easily a third or less of the price I pay for ribeye. 

A south Texan sees skirt and says “fajitas.” That is a brilliant life choice. I would never suggest to someone planning to make fajitas out of skirt to to NOT make fajitas. 

But. You could also make a roasted garlic-chive butter. You could mash up some savory sweet potatoes. You could cut that skirt into steaks (skinny ends for the kids) and cook just up to medium rare on a hot grill. And it could be beefy and juicy and as good a bite of steak as you could want on a weekend night. 

image.thumb.jpeg.87a1aa3dff5af2a57e27133037d9d7ad.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cfa42847817e7296a014a35d108d2728.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e9840484d37c5168fc4157211807d49c.jpeg

This is exactly what I've been doing lately! At our Central Market, skirt is about the same price as prime Top Sirloin per pound, but much more flavorful. Everything else is just too expensive. Once I get home, I marinate in olive oil, fresh lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, soy sauce and cilantro. Great tasting steak at a fraction of the price!

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 12/3/2022 at 9:37 PM, brown water said:

Got a little tipsy yesterday and forgot the money shot. Filet for her. Strip for me. Creamed mushrooms and (not pictured) broccoli with cheese sauce 

B0BA6C92-1F07-45D1-B3D3-F02E4CEF1E02.jpeg

493094A8-4BFE-4B34-9741-95E3632CC727.jpeg

EE467BAF-4AEC-4B13-A6E7-31737235A6BA.jpeg

240C2C6C-A759-41C1-B35A-CFAE074215E1.jpeg

The grill cast iron pan, huh?  I sweatergawd that is the best method for getting that rich dark mahogany crust. Only problem with the grill pan I have is real estate, so I use the regular cast iron outside most of the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The grill cast iron pan, huh?  I sweatergawd that is the best method for getting that rich dark mahogany crust. Only problem with the grill pan I have is real estate, so I use the regular cast iron outside most of the time. 

better than a flat pan?  and if so, why?

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

better than a flat pan?  and if so, why?

I think that the conclusions from the last discussion on the topic was that there is a magic oil fry situation occurring when the beef is elevated off the oil as opposed to the flat pan sear.  Notice the deep and consistent mahogany coloring in brownwater's sear as compared to mine aboe finished in a flat bottom cast iron.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 9:37 PM, brown water said:

Got a little tipsy yesterday and forgot the money shot. Filet for her. Strip for me. Creamed mushrooms and (not pictured) broccoli with cheese sauce 

BW -- I know you've told us before but I can't remember or find it.  What kind of oil do you use in the cast iron?  I know Ana says he uses avocado and I do that sometimes (sometimes I don't use any oil at all and that works ok for me too) but wondering what you use as your sear is consistently ideal.  

I use grape seed oil. I don’t know that any oil produces a better sear per se but some have higher smoke points which means they won’t break down and impact the taste of whatever is being cooked in it.  I may try refined avocado oil based on the below. 

My unprofessional opinion on grill pans v. flat surfaces is that grill pans actually allow the oils and rendered fats to more evenly sear the meat.  I usually rock the pan back and forth a few times while cooking   The oils are so hot they almost fry the surface like bacon and the grill surface allows them to flow underneath but making contact with the steak.  In a flat pan the oils can’t channel underneath the meat as evenly and it’s harder to maintain consistent contact across the cooking surface. 

Why Is Oil Smoke Point Important? 

Smoking oil isn’t always a problem: there are times when it’s inevitable, such as when you’re stir-frying in an extremely hot wok. Typically, however, smoking is a sign that your oil is breaking down. 

When oils break down, they can release chemicals that give food an undesirable burnt or bitter flavor, as well as free radicals that can harm the body. Before using any oil, make sure that its smoke point can handle the cooking method you plan to use.

8EE2187D-2F6C-4966-A634-17CCF11BC052.jpeg

On 12/7/2022 at 9:06 PM, brown water said:

I use grape seed oil. I don’t know that any oil produces a better sear per se but some have higher smoke points which means they won’t break down and impact the taste of whatever is being cooked in it.  I may try refined avocado oil based on the below. 

My unprofessional opinion on grill pans v. flat surfaces is that grill pans actually allow the oils and rendered fats to more evenly sear the meat.  I usually rock the pan back and forth a few times while cooking   The oils are so hot they almost fry the surface like bacon and the grill surface allows them to flow underneath but making contact with the steak.  In a flat pan the oils can’t channel underneath the meat as evenly and it’s harder to maintain consistent contact across the cooking surface. 

Why Is Oil Smoke Point Important? 

Smoking oil isn’t always a problem: there are times when it’s inevitable, such as when you’re stir-frying in an extremely hot wok. Typically, however, smoking is a sign that your oil is breaking down. 

When oils break down, they can release chemicals that give food an undesirable burnt or bitter flavor, as well as free radicals that can harm the body. Before using any oil, make sure that its smoke point can handle the cooking method you plan to use.

8EE2187D-2F6C-4966-A634-17CCF11BC052.jpeg

I always use ghee, but may have to give avocado oil a shot next time...

Dry brine (sprinkle lightly with salt) a day ahead or overnight. Smoker as low as you can run it, which is around 200-225 for me. Steaks in until 110f or so. Take them out and sear them on a grill ripping hot, or on a cast pan with butter and aromatics, or just take the barrel off the WSM and put a grate right on the fire ring.

Hope your steaks are thicker, less tricky on timing. 1.5" is a good minimum thickness.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...