I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

On 1/29/2022 at 10:15 PM, Mo Horn said:

Agree to disagree. I've had many grilled steaks, and they don't compare to sous vide.

Fuck you're sous vide, aint nobody got time for 4 hours of soft boiling. 

Grill fast, grill hot, and make sure that mother fucker is still moo'ing on the plate.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I've done both and will take sous vide any day. It just melts in your mouth. 

But it's the same thing. You're slowly bringing the temperature up until it reaches the target internal temp and then searing it. It doesn't matter if it's done in water or an oven or your mother's vagina, which also melts in your mouth. 

• Haha 1

It makes a difference if you bring it up to temp on a grill (offset from the coals/wood).  From there you can sear it on the grill or on cast iron (after resting).  But bringing it up to temp in that smokey grill environment is better than brew in the bag or the oven. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

But it's the same thing. You're slowly bringing the temperature up until it reaches the target internal temp and then searing it. It doesn't matter if it's done in water or an oven or your mother's vagina, which also melts in your mouth. 

I think that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said about his mom. 

On 1/12/2022 at 8:31 PM, Lobo said:

Thank you, thank you.  Just need to find and then come back here in a few months and ask for high-altitude cooking pointers (ain't scared).  I mean...all that's riding on this is the hegemony of two families with absolutely zero in common except the two kids getting married and the sentiment of, "We don't really know anything about them Lobo, never even met.  But the groom said he likes grilled meats and you're always playing blues music whenever we visit the grandkids...so uh...sort something out.  If you don't, gonna be a really awkward week up in 'dem mountains."  

What do you think happens to meat at high altitudes?  Just reverse sear the steaks and all of them (except the 180* ones) will be great.  I make steak at 9000 feet regularly.

I'm not worried, I just know these "food safety nuts" know that yeah, shit takes a little longer to get hot at high altitudes...but I can cook on any grill with any heat source.  I just know they're gonna be worried that the usual 30 minutes I grill their steaks to 180* won't be enough.  So I'm gonna pickup a pack of cheap meat temps so I can prove each and every steak is done beyond well done.  As for the groom's family and me, I'm gonna reverse sear as suggested on here so I can serve at roughly the same time (that's really my worry, I've grilled great steaks for 8 people but medium rare to medium well.  I've never done 8 steaks at 175 and 6 steaks at 135 at the same time.  Just a logistical nightmare is all. 

The grill is big enough, I'll reverse sear the medium rare ones hopefully about the time the well dones+ are passing 170 and pull 'em all at same time.  Medium rares shouldn't spoil, just let the outside keep black sizzling.  I just don't wanna screw those up.  If the 175'ers keep going up to 185, her family will only be happier and put more A1 on them.  I feel better typing that out.  I can't overcook theirs enough.  Going with a local grass fed NY strip/ribeye purveyor for the medium rare jobs.  They like T-bones for their well-done cut, so may as well just pick that up at the local grocer, grill it to almost 200, then send it over to a leather tannery for final cooking.  

Honestly my biggest worry is that I'll dick around outside drinking whiskey looking at the mountains and forget my little plan here and fuck it up from drinking too much.  

Ate at Eddie V's in the Arboretum on Friday night and I can confidently say I've completely spoiled myself when it comes to making great steaks.  Got their 22 oz ribeye and I make a better steak than they do.  It was not even close, either.  My wife has told me the same thing.  I guess I'm out on steakhouses going forward.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Ate at Eddie V's in the Arboretum on Friday night and I can confidently say I've completely spoiled myself when it comes to making great steaks.  Got their 22 oz ribeye and I make a better steak than they do.  It was not even close, either.  My wife has told me the same thing.  I guess I'm out on steakhouses going forward.

💯 

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

nothing says great steak like a chain seafood restaurant

It was due to the crowd I was with, as well as the location (was staying in the Domain).  Would not have picked it if it was just me.  Overall the meal was very good, just nothing special.  

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Reverse sear is superior imo, and I an a fan of sous vide cooking. 

The reverse sear dries out the exterior, promoting a better finishing sear than the wet cooking SV approach. 

Also, while SV is very forgiving on time...I have started picking up some really off putting texture when steaks are cooked in there for much longer than necessary to get to core temp.  I don't know exactly where that time threshold is at, somewhere around 3-4 hours with steaks. 

32 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I had a very nice steak the other night at the argentinian place in the hill country galleria, but I could hands down cook a better steak myself with minimal effort. This is the curse that we have been given. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I had a very nice steak the other night at the argentinian place in the hill country galleria, but I could hands down cook a better steak myself with minimal effort. This is the curse that we have been given. 

Which is why I mostly order from the appetizer menu or get a lamb entree at high-dollar steak houses.  Steak tartare, foie gras, oysters rockefeller, etc. -- all are way more interesting than something I could do (as well or better) at home.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, DalTxHornFan said:

Which is why I mostly order from the appetizer menu or get a lamb entree at high-dollar steak houses.  Steak tartare, foie gras, oysters rockefeller, etc. -- all are way more interesting than something I could do (as well or better) at home.

The steak tartare at Eddie V's was amazing.  Way better than the actual steak.  Same for the oysters.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

What I take away from this is that you don't know how to cook lamb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

What I take away from this is that you don't know how to cook lamb. 

Funny!  I cook lamb very well!  It's just more interesting than steaks. 

I know that I've told this story before -- here or on TOS, but I was hosting some clients from Germany and Belgium for dinner in Texas at a high-end steakhouse and we were all in the mood for lamb.  When the lamb was presented, the clients were blown away at the portion size.  They whipped out their phones to show pictures of the lamb entrees they'd been served a couple of nights before in Paris -- clearly 1/4 the size of the Texas lamb.  Everything is bigger in Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Seems a little extreme. If I decided to quit going to restaurants every time I ate at a chain and realized I could cook better at home, I'd never go out to eat anymore.

21 hours ago, irishtexan said:

@South Austin meat in your mothers vagina is common theme.

20 hours ago, dcbc said:

It makes a difference if you bring it up to temp on a grill (offset from the coals/wood).  From there you can sear it on the grill or on cast iron (after resting).  But bringing it up to temp in that smokey grill environment is better than brew in the bag or the oven. 

Yup, on the Pit Boss I set it to 200 degrees and put it on the elevated rack and smoke it until 110-15 then I open the vent over the pellet burner and set to 500. 

1-1.5 min per side. The taste is amazing.

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Seems a little extreme. If I decided to quit going to restaurants every time I ate at a chain and realized I could cook better at home, I'd never go out to eat anymore.

I've never been a big fan of steakhouses to begin with.  Overpriced and, like last week, good food but not worth what they charge for it.  I'd much rather spend my money at other kinds of restaurants, especially those that I cannot replicate at home (sushi, Indian, etc).

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I've never been a big fan of steakhouses to begin with.  Overpriced and, like last week, good food but not worth what they charge for it.  I'd much rather spend my money at other kinds of restaurants, especially those that I cannot replicate at home (sushi, Indian, etc).

I hear ya. But the food is only one part of why you go out to eat. Probably not even the most important part, for me anyway.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I hear ya. But the food is only one part of why you go out to eat. Probably not even the most important part, for me anyway.

Food is usually the #1 reason I pick the restaurants I pick (incidentally, food was not the reason Eddie Vs was chosen, but that's a different conversation).  Other stuff matters, too, but food is #1.  I get that not everyone feels the same way, but that's how I am.

Food is usually the #1 reason I pick the restaurants I pick (incidentally, food was not the reason Eddie Vs was chosen, but that's a different conversation).  Other stuff matters, too, but food is #1.  I get that not everyone feels the same way, but that's how I am.

We’ve gotten where most meal out will be things I don’t make at home: pho, sushi, Korean bbq, etc
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Food is definitely my main reason, and it weights probably 80% of the decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I’ve haven’t gotten into reverse searing yet, but it’s just too hard to for me not to want to either grill over charcoal, or cast iron sear and finish in the oven for ease/taste/quickness. This baby got the cast iron and it was perfect.

7790F515-B564-4FD7-8237-372AC9523954.jpeg

I've got a 10" lodge logic (low sided griddle pan) that got dedicated grill sear use a while back.  Cook to temp on the opposite side of the grill from the coals.  Pop the cast iron griddle pan on the grill grate over the coals, open the vents, and crack the lid while the meat rests.  That thing gets super hot and you get a great sear in no time.  You still get all the smokey goodness of the grill too.

a131601c-a42c-41b9-b17d-e1c60f2569ed?qua

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Taking guesses for what breed/origin this is and cost at a steakhouse in the PNW. 

*Asking because I think the owner is bonkers sometimes. Disclosure: I work as a waiter at this place.

34 oz Porterhouse

uBpOoZv4vbKbJdrKk15gXh9XWWxUrOa4vSiLdenHUSamlu5yPxUfkpw9o10lu882j86myQB-uW9lFMCM4M0cKewqIgQaJTi79nE26RaGXLZgrHjmVA0LJT7mKu5feEqVWeowDXT3d_wbV9hBw3CGYZhZDUJpD-k3wONhXOZ3JwQjncJV_b5hP4FbypZr8nAHKP9j5PUFp94kOdcGl8PLaIhdf2YU7PfQsfK9idgSfERLY868gPRrzi6iAE2ly6o-bamwVFLEBjDyyy4i5hQUwESA_trOFsBi-xce__-EyaNZg5lLxgkh7LXaE_dyL1dfddnCmJdX-XF-XrlBg-GgdDxYnVFq56qahUrsAsxE-zBTH40KPAbEpY0HQ5IqU3CG5BwUaSiCn-CNDdlHJ-iNg2o5FaXBiz1rinfe-enRgL4RqW7sS1VhBS_ToAoYi23WfTc3rg-AfBcYjk0n6kGo4pn_wuTfbjt0yygKnNg8_UO9GdD-bz88v4z1hQiO57a1-uiFTu0IGjrxePvT6JweBvTjpccx3sSrH60U-LLOeO4BMks91GtYV0hIHwMG29nVJC3IpIyrDtdlK2uiU8piQRyDPIDACen9CI5Xcnmd4vwRTjsG4mHMVcfiapGmHbNJbWG3e2Whe1tEaPY7UlF9EaCiFnEXI4KcREVoY-PVTEDknagAOdPDlNdtfMM7Ca7F7JKAVUV12AlChJEGz0XOJdJg=w923-h1926-no?authuser=0

KG_IWkUrJoY1_Fw0DJiCYrYveTXkSJJbFTgK-9s4en6j71X2BB1HYFm3tggLuPRDgrH5NCyoVEFdprFAzXO2ib-vNZjfSsX3MGTYO8eaaXdJJTo26div_VFmMmEo9f16lmW63cWOZXJTUIjyTr2iKFtnAvU9xc43lzI5_vPG1zNOpQMjrY_17X18jxIOWZY5lAZhxKAuUsj-M11G9-L61XCBVSwslGPp7L8403RGkTUwHSyd-n6lS3v0Q7ceUOevoLCN9P7BRi00bC9PEDqmDt_IC5TOH4Sro-u5cCX-wvmB8g73xmZY7iYVWHb6lfpKmQOU1mWujDFGil9CwQAqYWgGTH1TOIRf3OJX-Dt4ooMXg-CmEptiOXdp1uhaKHoJO7EaXEv4gaH9L6taboOYnNTIJRU_zP39TZsFaIrHnHzlHQsFZsfWU5O8v_-jGS6CNSfiHZarrsIfSZPntx8fWBqN-6S9Lf0nW2fBpecb_pXROBXfESeeLfeeWZKtMjH8B7k0OryGz-h0Ateb2QlYgbO5nO2ZJ8AhR95V93VZMNituXd13QEBoGwt9MzoTOWzLYxRRWQs-PJjnKm4QMoW5a0PeCHeno2T6w0dlr9EfERot_u3IkafSKX-ItIqoBo9P-ompQex2x-HiNx631MGtwJ6eHXVevX-QBxvCPlIWA5N0PZKx0mxyaOH8K9LdtD9kJ5hGTLuxVHxHgnJlWvGnjNW=w1919-h1440-no?authuser=0

edit: and no this wasn't some promo photo shoot. this was my dinner tonight :D

Edited by cam4mav
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, cam4mav said:

Taking guesses for what breed/origin this is and cost at a steakhouse in the PNW. 

*Asking because I think the owner is bonkers sometimes. Disclosure: I work as a waiter at this place.

34 oz Porterhouse

uBpOoZv4vbKbJdrKk15gXh9XWWxUrOa4vSiLdenHUSamlu5yPxUfkpw9o10lu882j86myQB-uW9lFMCM4M0cKewqIgQaJTi79nE26RaGXLZgrHjmVA0LJT7mKu5feEqVWeowDXT3d_wbV9hBw3CGYZhZDUJpD-k3wONhXOZ3JwQjncJV_b5hP4FbypZr8nAHKP9j5PUFp94kOdcGl8PLaIhdf2YU7PfQsfK9idgSfERLY868gPRrzi6iAE2ly6o-bamwVFLEBjDyyy4i5hQUwESA_trOFsBi-xce__-EyaNZg5lLxgkh7LXaE_dyL1dfddnCmJdX-XF-XrlBg-GgdDxYnVFq56qahUrsAsxE-zBTH40KPAbEpY0HQ5IqU3CG5BwUaSiCn-CNDdlHJ-iNg2o5FaXBiz1rinfe-enRgL4RqW7sS1VhBS_ToAoYi23WfTc3rg-AfBcYjk0n6kGo4pn_wuTfbjt0yygKnNg8_UO9GdD-bz88v4z1hQiO57a1-uiFTu0IGjrxePvT6JweBvTjpccx3sSrH60U-LLOeO4BMks91GtYV0hIHwMG29nVJC3IpIyrDtdlK2uiU8piQRyDPIDACen9CI5Xcnmd4vwRTjsG4mHMVcfiapGmHbNJbWG3e2Whe1tEaPY7UlF9EaCiFnEXI4KcREVoY-PVTEDknagAOdPDlNdtfMM7Ca7F7JKAVUV12AlChJEGz0XOJdJg=w923-h1926-no?authuser=0

KG_IWkUrJoY1_Fw0DJiCYrYveTXkSJJbFTgK-9s4en6j71X2BB1HYFm3tggLuPRDgrH5NCyoVEFdprFAzXO2ib-vNZjfSsX3MGTYO8eaaXdJJTo26div_VFmMmEo9f16lmW63cWOZXJTUIjyTr2iKFtnAvU9xc43lzI5_vPG1zNOpQMjrY_17X18jxIOWZY5lAZhxKAuUsj-M11G9-L61XCBVSwslGPp7L8403RGkTUwHSyd-n6lS3v0Q7ceUOevoLCN9P7BRi00bC9PEDqmDt_IC5TOH4Sro-u5cCX-wvmB8g73xmZY7iYVWHb6lfpKmQOU1mWujDFGil9CwQAqYWgGTH1TOIRf3OJX-Dt4ooMXg-CmEptiOXdp1uhaKHoJO7EaXEv4gaH9L6taboOYnNTIJRU_zP39TZsFaIrHnHzlHQsFZsfWU5O8v_-jGS6CNSfiHZarrsIfSZPntx8fWBqN-6S9Lf0nW2fBpecb_pXROBXfESeeLfeeWZKtMjH8B7k0OryGz-h0Ateb2QlYgbO5nO2ZJ8AhR95V93VZMNituXd13QEBoGwt9MzoTOWzLYxRRWQs-PJjnKm4QMoW5a0PeCHeno2T6w0dlr9EfERot_u3IkafSKX-ItIqoBo9P-ompQex2x-HiNx631MGtwJ6eHXVevX-QBxvCPlIWA5N0PZKx0mxyaOH8K9LdtD9kJ5hGTLuxVHxHgnJlWvGnjNW=w1919-h1440-no?authuser=0

edit: and no this wasn't some promo photo shoot. this was my dinner tonight :D

Can’t see shit

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Can’t see shit

hesrightyouknow.jpg

On 1/31/2022 at 5:16 PM, Chewbacca said:

It’s been this way for us for years.  That said, even with a CM down the street, I’m often jealous of the quality of meat certain high-end steakhouses can source (may need to up my mail order game).  We also like the experience - getting away from kids, the service, apps, sides, not having to cook and clean... and sometimes a bartender who can make a transcendent martini.  Plus, since we prefer steak over tiny bites, steakhouses have their place in our date night rotation.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:28 AM, dcbc said:

On 1/31/2022 at 5:48 PM, Anastasis said:

Reverse sear is superior imo, and I an a fan of sous vide cooking. 

The reverse sear dries out the exterior, promoting a better finishing sear than the wet cooking SV approach. 

Also, while SV is very forgiving on time...I have started picking up some really off putting texture when steaks are cooked in there for much longer than necessary to get to core temp.  I don't know exactly where that time threshold is at, somewhere around 3-4 hours with steaks. 

I experimented for a while with SV, following tips on shaggy/surly.  I just couldn’t get over the “odd” texture SV produced vs. traditional “grilling.”  I have no explanation, but my wife and I both noticed it.  It didn’t matter the cooking time, so I chalked it up to method.  Plus, no smoke flavor compared to cooking over coals.

Cook however you like, just don’t overcook.  I like fire and smoke.  YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, solamente73 said:

It’s been this way for us for years.  That said, even with a CM down the street, I’m often jealous of the quality of meat certain high-end steakhouses can source (may need to up my mail order game).  We also like the experience - getting away from kids, the service, apps, sides, not having to cook and clean... and sometimes a bartender who can make a transcendent martini.  Plus, since we prefer steak over tiny bites, steakhouses have their place in our date night rotation.

Costco carries Prime beef.  That's where I get most of mine, but there is a really good butcher that I go to sometimes as well for different cuts.  Between those 2 I can typically get what I want.  It requires more effort, though.

Be aware the precut meat at Costco is blade tenderized. Not really an issue, but there is concern for people with weaker immune systems that you cook it enough (cannot "safely" serve it rare). Now if you buy the whole primal in cryopack, they haven't tenderized it yet. The price label will clearly state if it has been tenderized.

Edited by Sam Lin
typo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

More importantly, be aware under the US grading system grading is done with one sample of meat from one portion of the ribeye. Other cuts can and do vary widely from animal to animal. Very common to find a Choice grade strip or porterhouse that looks much better marbled than neighboring pieces of Prime. Less likely with ribeye as that is the grading sample, but it still happens.

At the retail level, always pick based on the specific piece of meat - ignore the grade.