I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Anyone else try the "cold grate technique" for searing?  It sounds gimmicky, but I'm about to do it for the third time tonight.  First two times left me with a really even sear. 

So the idea is that by not letting the grill grate get too hot, you get a more even maillard reaction across the steak.  So you cook offset until you get an internal temp approximately 10 degrees less than your done temp.  So for medium rare, you cook to 115F.  You add more coals or just let everything get to max temp, then you put the grill grate on and sear the steaks for about 45 seconds.  Then, you spin the grate so that the other (cooler) side is over the coals, and you flip the steaks and place them over the coals.  Rinse, repeat until you have done two sears on each side (adjust timing to taste). 

Like I said, it sounds like it should be dumb, but it works pretty well.  Just figured I'd toss this out there.  Pics to follow.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What method? That is fucking consistent 

I do a super trim on all cuts. I leave basically no silver skin and will separate muscle groups then tie them to keep them together vs having to cut off fat on the plate. Smoked over oak lump and pecan at 300 till IT of 122-124 pull them off (usually 35-45 min). Loose foil, crank the grill to HHH (650+) filet went on for 15-20s each of the 4 edges and then 60-90s each side 

Strip went on for 105-120s each side  ribeye went 90s each side. 

I like my Ribeyes done at 132 IT, strips done at 135 IT and filet I like around 128/9 IT, but fully rendered. 

Rest 10-12 minutes (most important part) then slice. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...

Funky end cut of dry aged T-bone/Porterhouse. Reverse sear. Didn't suck.

1375761258_cutopen.thumb.jpg.ee21391e525ec27c10cca6fe6e7a654a.jpg

Play by play pics in spoiler to avoid longcatting everyone:

Spoiler

Thai wagyu porterhouse, dry aged 3 months. Local cost for the curious is about $18/lb. Didn't look carefully when ordering, pic from backside looked normal, but the front side was the first cut off the primal and was totally odd shaped after the dry age trimming.

Funky funky end cut

2076072355_prebrinefunkycut.thumb.JPG.926a25b5ed93ac79255ea6ecdef05674.JPG

Dry brined

752220241_drybrine.thumb.JPG.6754e2ca81823bf4ea108ebdbf5e273e.JPG

Post-dry brine (half day, prefer overnight but was in a hurry)

1244379567_afterdrybrine.thumb.JPG.4e0235b0e863eeb2cbb8ebe0936020d3.JPG

Trussed it to try and keep it together better. Threw some pepper on.

667801851_trussandpepper.thumb.jpg.d12b93de3858bf8ddd8d690b331bdddb.jpg

Smoked it with a chunk of mesquite, roughly 200F smoke, to 108F internal

2116439433_smoketo108f.thumb.jpg.ab78f05558e8aaded6341e9545257b9c.jpg

Pulled and rested ~10min while firing up the coals with a fan, then on to sear about 1.5min a side (40sec at a time, 2 flips)

sear.thumb.jpg.e6f2e91964daa1b5f5bfa76e60302af7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Striploins with Gorgonzola sauce, baked sweet potato, and Pilsner Urquell. 

Sauce is just heavy cream, a whole wedge of Gorgonzola, and teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Add half the Gorgonzola at the end and let it just heat up so you get some chunks. Wouldn’t do it on a ribeye but slams with leaner cuts.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b2a040ee0f385365d9a8d6075784f3c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9dfdf078c48b9e85b1af59101ddcc5fc.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Striploins with Gorgonzola sauce, baked sweet potato, and Pilsner Urquell. 

Sauce is just heavy cream, a whole wedge of Gorgonzola, and teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Add half the Gorgonzola at the end and let it just heat up so you get some chunks. Wouldn’t do it on a ribeye but slams with leaner cuts.
image.thumb.jpeg.6b2a040ee0f385365d9a8d6075784f3c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9dfdf078c48b9e85b1af59101ddcc5fc.jpeg

This is a great sauce. I make a similar sauce that is great on filets, strips, or deer backstraps. Blue cheese is perfect with beef.

I start sautéing chopped shallots, garlic, and fresh jalapeños, add 4-6 oz blue cheese wedge, the worchestershire, a squirt of sriracha, and then half n half or cream. It rocks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is a great sauce.

I use to be quite dogmatic about the no steak sauce thing. 

I was wrong.

Very very wrong.

Au poivre is life changing. Chimichurri is the truth. A mushroom sauce can find its place. That gorgonzola look is going to get a run. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I was wrong.

Very very wrong.

Au poivre is life changing. Chimichurri is the truth. A mushroom sauce can find its place. That gorgonzola look is going to get a run. 

Look up “zip sauce”. Shits golden 

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I was wrong.

Very very wrong.

Steak sauce gets a bad rap because of cheap and sugary bottled versions that got slung over well-done, low quality beef.  But there are classic steak sauces for a reason.

Try bearnaise with a filet, or a bordelaise with just about any cut.  Red wine, shallots, bone marrow, demi glacé? That slaps. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brown water said:

Sometimes it pays to be an unapologetic carnivore. Chatting with H‑E‑B butcher yesterday and he mentions they’ve got a 90 day dry aged ribeye. Apparently a customer had them set it aside, never returned and it was overlooked as they carved for the case. Anyway I got 5 from the center. These 4 for later and one more I’ll cook this weekend. Smells amazing 

D7D9FC26-A0DD-44C9-A244-CA385A509044.jpeg

Oof.   Those look good.  

I think most locations with an aging refrigerator will do it but I’m not sure. At one time the local manager was concerned his was getting too full with customer’s inventory that he couldn’t keep up with what they wanted to sell in the case. It was usually when they’d put whole primals on sale (Christmas or Easter) and people would buy them to age. Now he just charges the case price once you pick it up. 

6 hours ago, TPCJ007 said:

Has anyone tried Binchotan charcoal for grilling a steak. They say it burns really hot, but it's kinda pricey.

I tried a bag. No sparks and lasts a long time but it's kind of a bitch to get going. With most lump I throw my map gas torch in the pile for 10 or 15 seconds in a couple spots and open everything up and I'm good to go. With that stuff it would be closer to 45 seconds per minute in spots and sometimes it still wouldn't get going. 

I just didn't find it worth the price. 

• Hook 'Em 1