Best Longhorns of the Modern Era

Fastbreak

New Board, new Best of Post!

My Modern Era = Penders onwards.

PG - T.J. Ford
This one is pretty easy. As a sophomore he average 15 points and 7.7 assists in leading Texas to the Final 4. Naismith and Wooden Award Winner. Consensus first team All-American.

SG - Travis Mays
A four year player who averaged 35 minutes per game over his career. Scored 24.1 points per game with 5.1 rebounds as a senior. 2270 career points and was the leader of the BMW elite 8 team. 2 time SWC Player of the Year.

SF - P.J. Tucker
This one might bring some controversy. Extremely consistent player averaging 18.4,18.6 and 18.6 points and 12.1, 10.9 and 11.1 rebounds per 40 minutes over his 3 years. Big 12 Player of the Year. Consensus second team All-American.

PF - Kevin Durant
In his single season, scored 25.8 points per game to go with 11.1 rebounds. Chipped in 1.9 steals and blocks. One of the best players to ever play college ball. Naismith and Wooden Award Winner. Consensus first team All-American.

C - Chris Mihm 
Averaged 17.7 points per game and 10.5 rebounds as a junior. Consensus first team All-American.

Bench
PG - D.J. Augustin

PG - B.J. Tyler

PG - Joey Wright

SG - Terrence Rencher

SG - Reggie Freeman

SF - Lance Blanks

SF - Damion James

SF - Kris Clack

PF - LeMarcus Aldridge

Had nobody left early, this would have been your 2006-07 Longhorns:

G- DJ Augustin

G- Boobie Gibson

F- Kevin Durant 

F- PJ Tucker

F/C- LaMarcus Aldridge

bench:

AJ Abrams

Damion James

Justin Mason

Connor Atchley

Woukd have easily rivaled if not triumphed over Florida.

Edited by Goo Punch

I'd bump KD to SF so LMA can slide in at PF.

Ford was undersized, but KD and LMA more than make up for it. Mays was an underrated defender and could fill it up with the best of them. With all that firepower, it's tempting to focus on a more athletic rim defender at center, but then again, Mihm was no slouch as a shot blocker and rebounder.

Lots of competition at off-guard with the aforementioned Mays, Bradley, and even Royal with Cheese Ivey (also a PG, I know, but he was 6-4 and a good defender, I guess he'd be our combo).

So much talent over the years. I miss them all, TJ most.

Since Mouton left we’ve really only had one other player like him: Jordan Hamilton. We’ve had a ton of great big men and guards, but we’ve really lacked that wing scorer with size for a very long time. Not saying they grow on trees, but they have been few and far between at Texas.