Cabo advice?

Saint Austin

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Uber/DiDi aren't allowed to pick up from the airport, but you can take one back when you leave.

Taxi/bus/private shuttle are your options for airport pickup.

It cost like $80 round trip for a Suburban to be waiting. More comfortable ride and they have beer.

• 1 month later...

Heading down there Sunday once drop kids off for their bus to camp.  4 nights at Cape.  Going to hit Los Tres Gallos one night, Flora Farms one night, and probably one dinner at Cape rooftop bar.  Considering Edith's for fourth night.

Will probably charter a Panga to fish inshore one morning.  Just want to get out on a boat for a half day.  My wife gets seasick, so will be solo. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Heading down there Sunday once drop kids off for their bus to camp.  4 nights at Cape.  Going to hit Los Tres Gallos one night, Flora Farms one night, and probably one dinner at Cape rooftop bar.  Considering Edith's for fourth night.

Will probably charter a Panga to fish inshore one morning.  Just want to get out on a boat for a half day.  My wife gets seasick, so will be solo. 

Baja Brewing roof is great for sunset.

baja brewing.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Any recent recs on fishing charters? Headed there for the first time in July.

I just got back last night.  Did not fish this trip.  I have used Gaviotas Fishing fleet in the past with good results.  Their prices are less than most.

• 1 month later...

I loved cabo. definitely will go back, much prefer it over quintana roo. 

Recs:

• found awesome swimming and decent snorkeling at the end of the marina pier, 
  • loved our car rental company Cactus 
  • loved our sailboat snorkel cruise with Cabo Sailing--saw several sea turtles and a manta ray 
  • The Cape hotel was so great, highly recommend
  • highly recommend all you can eat Taco night prix fixe $56 on Thursday nights at the Ledge (restaurant at the Cape)
  • great huevos divorciados at La Tequiza (a chain restaurant i think, we went to the one across from Costco)  https://www.facebook.com/LaTaquizaTezalOficial
  • two fantastic meals at flora farms--but probably would not recommend lunch there during the summer (too hot so far off the coast. not texas hot but still hot) 

we ended up not fishing--it was crazy expensive to charter something private, and we weren't too keen on sharing with strangers for such a long day. 

On 8/1/2022 at 12:35 AM, harpercollins said:

I loved cabo. definitely will go back, much prefer it over quintana roo. 

Recs:

• found awesome swimming and decent snorkeling at the end of the marina pier, 
  • loved our car rental company Cactus 
  • loved our sailboat snorkel cruise with Cabo Sailing--saw several sea turtles and a manta ray 
  • The Cape hotel was so great, highly recommend
  • highly recommend all you can eat Taco night prix fixe $56 on Thursday nights at the Ledge (restaurant at the Cape)
  • great huevos divorciados at La Tequiza (a chain restaurant i think, we went to the one across from Costco)  https://www.facebook.com/LaTaquizaTezalOficial
  • two fantastic meals at flora farms--but probably would not recommend lunch there during the summer (too hot so far off the coast. not texas hot but still hot) 

we ended up not fishing--it was crazy expensive to charter something private, and we weren't too keen on sharing with strangers for such a long day. 

Love the Cape.  Stayed there for 4 nights in late May and early June.

Thompson is a great value.  I am actually staying in their Dallas hotel for 6 nights this week for work.  Just got back from a month in Colorado and want to go back.  Too damn hot here.

Ok- Hit Flora Farms last night and it was good. Great, fresh pasta. 
It’s super touristy so if you’re looking for an authentic “Mexico” night out, it’s not the place for you. With that said, food is good, drinks good and there’s live music. 
In the small world category ran into friends of ours from Austin there by 100% happenstance do that was cool. 

Montage is great. The bay is beautiful, spa awesome and service top notch. 

This time yesterday we had no plans for the weekend.  Noticed nonstop from ATX was dirt cheap.  Today, life is good at Casa Dorada. Bad ass 1400 square foot condo poolside was $325/nt. All Ways as mentioned above is a great pick up. Brand new suburban with beer waiting on us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

Taking a sort of last minute trip to Cabo at the beginning of November since I have Marriott points to burn. Anyone stayed at the JW resort? Overall the reviews seems good. 

The wife is pregnant with our third so most likely just relaxing at the pool and doing spa days everyday. Does this property fit the bill? 

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Taking a sort of last minute trip to Cabo at the beginning of November since I have Marriott points to burn. Anyone stayed at the JW resort? Overall the reviews seems good. 

The wife is pregnant with our third so most likely just relaxing at the pool and doing spa days everyday. Does this property fit the bill? 

I’ve stayed there twice. It’s definitely that. It’s not in downtown Cabo but in San Jose del Cabo. The resort is nice with multiple pools and the food and drink service is great. You can take a cab to Acre or Flora Farm which are both great meals. Probably less than 10 minutes from the resort.

https://acreresort.com/restaurant

https://www.flora-farms.com

If you golf Puerto Los Cabos is on the property and is a great round of resort golf. My wife enjoys the spa when I go golf.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heading back for a couple of days over Thanksgiving break.  The family will most likely just stay at the resort we go to, but I need to get out somewhere to watch the USA vs England game.  Any recommendations for a sports bar? I believe it will be a 12 noon kick off Cabo time. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 10:04 AM, Telegraph_it said:

Well the JW is badass. And the resort inside the resort called Casa Maat is even more badass. Everything in the lounge is included. It was only 100k more points for the 5 day stay. 

B5D4CC29-C282-46B2-BAD3-A78969CA3FE6.thumb.jpeg.09ac9edbb4c44d1f8bfb0a7494992538.jpeg

Im looking into Cabo using Marriott points..is Casa Maat an all inclusive option for JW?  I noticed its only like 50K more for the dates we are considering.

6 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Im looking into Cabo using Marriott points..is Casa Maat an all inclusive option for JW?  I noticed its only like 50K more for the dates we are considering.

533795653_CasaMaatSchedule.thumb.jpg.27e58f8aeb87b5270d860fbcb1d53477.jpg

It follows this schedule. Beer, wine, and mimosas are included all day. Premium drinks like margaritas or bloody Mary’s are available during breakfast buffet and dinner.

Otherwise you get drinks from the bar in the JW area that is put on your room.

Dinner has been excellent the first three nights and didn’t cost a dime. We are going off property tonight and then doing their “grill” night tomorrow.  

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

533795653_CasaMaatSchedule.thumb.jpg.27e58f8aeb87b5270d860fbcb1d53477.jpg

It follows this schedule. Beer, wine, and mimosas are included all day. Premium drinks like margaritas or bloody Mary’s are available during breakfast buffet and dinner.

Otherwise you get drinks from the bar in the JW area that is put on your room.

Dinner has been excellent the first three nights and didn’t cost a dime. We are going off property tonight and then doing their “grill” night tomorrow.  

I’m in thank you. Great tip

On 5/28/2021 at 7:55 AM, Sbbruin said:

My favorite player of all-time.

Me too Bruin. I grew up in Southern CA in the 70’s-80’s before moving to Dallas. I would ask the barber for the Steve Garvey haircut everytime. 

is the SB for Seal Beach, by chance?  Pacific Inn in seal beach was our go to spot for return visits to CA to visit family. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I am booking a trip to Cabo for summer to an all inclusive.  Any thoughts on Le Blanc vs Grand Velas?  Wife (no pics) is celiac and both appear to nail that, which is great.  
Hope you went to Le Blanc. Best adult only all inclusive around. Private butler service is top notch.

13 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
On 4/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, A-Tex Devil said:
I am booking a trip to Cabo for summer to an all inclusive.  Any thoughts on Le Blanc vs Grand Velas?  Wife (no pics) is celiac and both appear to nail that, which is great.  

Hope you went to Le Blanc. Best adult only all inclusive around. Private butler service is top notch.

We did Le Blanc and it was awesome.  Wife is Celiac and it delivered at every restaurant (other than pizza).  Pool was great, beach was just OK, but that's normal for that part of Cabo, spa was awesome.  Really enjoyed it.  

• Like 1

Wife and I did Le Blanc 2 years ago. Taking the family to Pueblo Bonito in a couple of weeks.

That’s a good spot. I was there several years ago, but we enjoyed it. It’s a short walk to the city from there.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looking to go the week before Christmas. Never been, never thought of going until last week. Any suggestions as far as resorts, food, activities?  I’ll probably play golf somewhere and my wife will ride along, so maybe somewhere with good views. Other than that, just looking to relax and eat good food and drink some alcohol. 

• 2 months later...

Wife and I are going for 3 nights at the end of February. Neither of us have ever been. We're staying at ME because we want a younger crowd and we don't want to be surrounded by families or bachelor party golf and fish bros. If that's a terrible idea, we can cancel and rebook elsewhere, but it seems to fit our interests.

I'm curious about doing a private boat tour at some point, probably to go to see the Arch and cruise around the Pacific side or wherever the captain recommends. Looking at various online sites like Viator and Boatsetter, it appears we can book a ~3 hour cruise for around $700-900. Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do? Any specific recommendations for boat companies? Would it be better to go in the morning and try to see some whales or in the evening and catch sunset? I'm leaning towards the latter. Appreciate any recs.

I also realize there's a public boat shuttle type service over to Lover's and Divorce beach. We'll probably check that out and don't need the private boat for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get any feedback and this thread doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic, but I went ahead and booked a private boat tour for the afternoon. I booked through Viator and it was $849 for a 3 hour tour, but then the confirmation email told me the name of the company is Cabo Boat Adventures, and I see I can book the same thing directly on their website for $599. So I can cancel the Viator res, but that seems like a good way to spend a late afternoon and see the arch around sunset.

Will check out The Office one day for lunch. Anyone have any info on El Farallon or Nobu for dinners? Recs for nightlife spots?

Someone mentioned All Ways for airport transfers. It looks like it's $180 round trip for a suburban. Seems a little high for a ~45 minute ride but whatever. Anyone have a better rec?

• Hook 'Em 2

I didn't get any feedback and this thread doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic, but I went ahead and booked a private boat tour for the afternoon. I booked through Viator and it was $849 for a 3 hour tour, but then the confirmation email told me the name of the company is Cabo Boat Adventures, and I see I can book the same thing directly on their website for $599. So I can cancel the Viator res, but that seems like a good way to spend a late afternoon and see the arch around sunset.
Will check out The Office one day for lunch. Anyone have any info on El Farallon or Nobu for dinners? Recs for nightlife spots?
Someone mentioned All Ways for airport transfers. It looks like it's $180 round trip for a suburban. Seems a little high for a ~45 minute ride but whatever. Anyone have a better rec?
You'll enjoy the private boat tour at sunset. That's some serious change. If you want private and quiet that's the way to go. If not, drop just a couple hundred and go on one of the group boats.
www.viptransportationloscabos.com is who I've used for airport shuttle. $150+tax round-trip in a Suburban.
Depending on what scale you want for night life, there are many different spots down by the marina area. You can walk from one to another. Just stay on the main streets and you're plenty fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed back after a long weekend. Here’s my recap for anyone interested.

It was just the wife and myself and we stayed at ME Cabo. The hotel is in a great location and the property is well cared for but not overly extravagant. The pool scene had a fun, upbeat vibe but not crazy, about like Encore Vegas. Lots of bachelorette and bachelor parties trying to outdo each other on champagne trains. Food at the hotel was much better than we expected. We got a beachfront room with a great view of the Land’s End rock formation.

23d3cf9178794fd63f0d3da1e3d88338.jpg

First day we took a little water taxi boat over to Lover’s Beach and Divorce Beach. It was $30 round trip and quick. Lover’s Beach is swimmable but small and crowded so we hung out on the Divorce Beach side. No swimming there but it was prettier, much less crowded, and we could see whales off the coast.

632dcb9cae2a23e2e9cf0f9919c1931f.jpg

Second day we hired a private boat through Cabo Boat Adventures which I can’t recommend enough. Our boat was a 32’ Sea Ray that could hold up to 8 people, but it was just the 2 of us plus the 2 crew. They also have a 38’ boat for bigger groups. They took us around El Arco, then got to watch whales up close, then anchored to swim and eat lunch. They provided ceviche, guacamole, fajitas, beer, margaritas, soft drinks, water. They had a paddle board, lily pad, and snorkel gear. I had originally asked about a sunset cruise, but we did mid-day instead so it would be warm enough to swim and I think that was a good call.

46262919f2a5ca2b68b939e0f7416cba.jpg

First night dinner was at El Farallon at the Waldorf Astoria. The atmosphere was incredible overlooking the water but the food was mediocre for the price. Some old drunk guys kept yelling “Hook’em Horns” which is cool at DKR or the Cotton Bowl but extremely obnoxious in this case. Probably would not eat there again.

Second night dinner was at Taboo at ME Cabo. It’s listed as a beach club so we were apprehensive about dinner quality but it was excellent. Food was much better than the more expensive El Farallon, and the vibe was fun. There was a saxophonist and a violinist, people occasionally dancing on tables, fireworks, etc. Would absolutely eat there again. Best to go between 9:00 pm to midnight.

Third night dinner was at Nobu. The taxi ride was long which caught us off guard. Food was amazing, as expected. Would eat there again.

Also had lunch at The Office because people told us it was can’t miss. Food was good. The environment was…interesting.

Also had late night drinks at Bagatelle. First went to Bagatelle in St. Barth a decade ago and now we seem to always stubble into a Bagetelle wherever we go. It’s a scene and you either like it or you don’t. We like it for exactly one night.

Overall, Cabo was a good place for us for a long weekend to escape the Texas winter (hah!). We got what we wanted and expected from it. I’m sure we’ll go back, but we probably prefer Tulum. It’s a little more of a chill vibe, smaller hotels, better beach (although there is the sargassum problem there), and feels less Americanized. But it’s nice to have a change of scenery and Cabo didn’t disappoint.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1