Adult Sports League Injuries

Ghost of LL

So a few months ago, I started playing indoor soccer.  I figured I need some extra exercise.  I hate jogging for no purpose, but if I'm running after a ball, somehow it's fun.  And anyway, I played soccer when I was 7 and watch Premier League every weekend--obviously, I'm going to have no problem.

This is obviously a recipe for injury.  I really don't know what I was thinking.  On my team, we've had one pulled hamstring, one pulled quad, a pulled groin, a busted knee, and more than a few hangovers.

But we're all pretty much healthy for yesterday, when we've got two games.  Fortunately, they're not in a row--there's another game between our first game and our second.

First game goes well.  I score a goal.  I'm unreasonably happy for a guy who just scored a powerfully unathletic goal in a rec league adult soccer game.  But so it goes.

Next game gets ready, and one of the teams doesn't have enough players.  So I and another of my teammates volunteer to play for them--that way we'll have a full team plus a substitute.  So we'll be playing three games in a row.  But hey, no problem, right?  After all, I'm a goal-scorer!

I never got off the bench.

About seven minutes into the game, there's a 50/50 ball to our (i.e., my adopted team's) keeper, who slides to get it.  The other team's forward goes hard for it, and collides with the keeper.  The keeper goes right over his foot as the foot and ankle twist.  The guy goes down in a heap and starts screaming.  Like really screaming.  I look down at his leg at about the same time everyone else looks at the leg, and we all see the same thing--a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula.  The leg below the break is twisted at a 90* angle and broken at a 45* angle to the rest of the leg.  And there's blood, but actually not as much as you would think given the size of the laceration.

I've played a lot of sports as a kid and as an adult, but that's the first time I've ever seen that in person.  That was just horrifying to watch.

Dislocated my shoulder last year playing Mexican League baseball here in Dallas. Playing CF and dove for a ball, god damn that hurt. 

Cousin tore his Achilles running out of the box in the same game. Looked like he got shot after taking a step

In a rec league coed softball game, one of those chubby unathletic guys that takes the shit too seriously tried sliding really hard into 2nd (there was a girl covering 2nd) to break up a double play.  His ankle was bent sideways at a 90 degree angle.  We had to wait for an ambulance to come drag his ass off the field.  That's what he gets for sliding in coed rec softball.

Gross. 

About a decade ago playing beer league softball, I laced a ball into the gap and dislocated my knee on the follow through. Writhing in pain and trying to pop my knee back in at home plate, the assholes on the other team made sure to get the ball in and throw me out at first before checking on me. 

I was playing softball in a rec league around 2000 ish off of Pleasant Valley . A guy on the other team hit a single and pulled or tore a muscle running to first base. He stayed in the game and finally made it to 3rd base. At 3rd base he started throwing up, and then he collapsed. His teammate was an emt and started doing cpr. Medics showed up and shocked him but never got a pules. He was dead in his late 40's. That was a fucked up night.

me just light pulls, sprains, and a couple of dislocated fingers. 

• Like 2

Tore ligaments in my knee playing in an adult baseball league in late 90s.  Base hit to right center tried to stretch it into a double the opposing shortstop came over for the tag and fell across the bag onto to the back of my legs as I was sliding head first.  Tore the PCL and MCL, had to do a few months of physical therapy to walk again.  Sucked .

I played in a softball league for about 15 yr between the ages of 28 and 43.  We were into it and I am a damn fine slow pitch pitcher.  Anyway, one game I get a dribbler hit up the first base line.  I field it and throw up the line to the 1st baseman.  But I fed it right between the runner and the 1st baseman, and they collided with such a thud.  Head-knocker Three Stooges style.  I felt bad.  But I didn't have a headache.

1 minute ago, Stros said:

I was playing softball in a rec league around 2000 ish off of Pleasant Valley . A guy on the other team hit a single and pulled or tore a muscle running to first base. He stayed in the game and finally made it to 3rd base. At 3rd base he started throwing up, and then he collapsed. His teammate was an emt and started doing cpr. Medics showed up and shocked him but never got a pules. He was dead in his late 40's. That was a fucked up night.

Dude

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

U ppl old lol

Yuck it up--the dude who broke his leg is 23.

And even though the league rule is that you have to wear shin guards, he wasn't wearing anything.  He just had on white ankle-high socks.  So when that bone burst out the side of his leg, we all got to see it.

I don't know that the shin guards would have helped.  Hell--it might have made it worse.  

I like how this thread is in the lulz forum.

My story: A group of friends and I were mountain biking, One guy took a header over the bars, faceplanted into a tree and broke out his four front teeth. The gross part is that the two bottom ones were only pushed backward, and when he tried to straighten them they broke off into his hand.

However, he wasn't really that old, only mid twenties and it wasn't in a league.

ASSC co-ed flag football for two years.

supposed to be all fun and games... except average age of our team was 15-20 years higher than all of our opponents, and they took this shit WAY too serious.

the last season i managed to strain the shit out of my achilles. i mean, i killed it, walked like a complete zombie dragging my foot for almost a month.

have had physical therapy, cortizone, prescription strength Aleve, use KT tape regularly...its been over two years now and it still gives me fits. I'm just resigned to it hurting for the rest of my life now.

the one good thing is i have an excuse to buy pretty high heeled shoes, as flats are the worst for it. 😊

Edited by mchookem

1 hour ago, Stros said:

Wait, what? Is it common to just straight up die from shock or did he have some heart condition?

Playing softball about 20 years ago tripped over 1st base trying to beat out a single drunk on scotch and beer. Separated shoulder.

Several years prior one of my teamates was running for a fly ball in the outfield at Tennison Park in Dallas. Ran into a metal light pole and knocked his ass out.

Played in a men's lacrosse league (post college) for a bit.  Lots of injuries given the nature of the sport. 

One that sticks out in my mind was a teammate (defense) took an outside shot right to the nuts.  I'm pretty sure his nuts took a direct hit.  I've never heard a man scream like that.  Writhing in pain, vomiting, screaming...shit gave me chills.  He wasn't wearing a cup which I still have no explanation for. 

I heard some rumors that he ruptures a testicle but nothing confirmed.  He never came back to play afterwards and none of us really knew the guy that well (first game). 

I think it’s funny how many people in their late 20s and early 30s do the adult sports league believing they are in shape and immediately tear their ACLs 
Its their first oh shit, I’m not young anymore 

Yep this is my last year old baseball. I had to quit catching a few years ago and now I am in CF or LF. I'm sore as shit for 2 days. Gonna do softball and gym basketball only

44 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

a dude died.  are you not entertained?

rec league basketball game, went up for a layup and got hammered on my hand.  no call, but my finger was broken and sticking at an angle.  fucking refs.

hand is part of the ball.

5 hours ago, Stros said:

Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0

Playing Indoor soccer and had a Tibial Plateau break, this is where the top of the Tibia/Fibula form the socket for the knee, I broke/cracked it all the way around, fortunately no displacement or there would have been surgery involved, the most painful injury I have ever had, I can't tell you how much it hurt.

Totally non-weight bearing for 4 months, last time I played, I still miss having a game.

Broke a finger playing flag football. no big deal...well sort of. This wasn't a typical joint break or middle of the bone break. This was a top to bottom (the pad side of your finger tip)  of the tip bone break where the tendon was pulling the bottom of the tip bone down thru my finger. Good times. Had to have the tendon cut, the bones pinned together (still have the pin) and the tendon reattached. The bone and my nerves in that finger have never been the same, took maybe 10 years to get 100% mobility back and the fingernail (where the pin went through) is now denser and different. the bone is thicker than the same finger on my other hand and more sensitive. 

Man, I've got a few.  Pitching, took a grounder off the pitching rubber straight to the eye, happened to find the vein, but the fuck I was letting that dude take me out of the game.

Had two friends, one playing RF, one playing 2nd, go for a ball between them.  Neither called it.  2nd caught the ball, RF caught an elbow to the eye socket.  I think he said the reconstruction cost him $14,000, can't quite remember, @Captain Ron can attest to that one, I'm pretty sure.

Another buddy slid into second too late, and his foot was 90 degrees from where it should be. 

image.png

Numerous outfield collisions, bad hops in the infield to the face...  Gotta love softball!

EDIT: Almost forgot, buddy comes out, short a girl for corec, so we pick up his girlfriend.  She's this petite tiny little thing.  She hits a dribbler to 3rd, dude guns one over to first, only to hit her square in the back of the neck, immediately knocked her out.  That one freaked everyone out.  (She did stop complaining for a few minutes, though)

Edited by PvilleStang

Was playing the big DeMarini tournament in San Antonio (probably around '99) and pretty far into tournament.  My team had 2 former UT baseball players, a former Baylor player, a guy that played AAA ball (CSF with Augie), a guy that played for the Mets and a couple of former UT football players.  I was pitching and caught a bad hop line drive off the pitching rubber in the mouth.  People heard it a field over.  Fractured jaw, but not the usual fracture.  The jaw fractured at the front edge so my front bottom teeth were still in the bone but the bone was floating.  Three oral surgeries (including an apicoectomy to stop an infection from spreading where some type of cow bone derivative was used) and three root canals (the dentist didn't use anesthesia, he said it wouldn't help) later, my teeth are almost as straight as they used to be.

The worst part was when I went back to pitching, I didn't have the same reflexes.  My first instinct was to protect myself and balls got by that I used to pick.  Had to move to the outfield.

I had a similar break in High School as in the OP (not compound, but tibia broke twice and bent my fibula) when a keeper slid into my plant foot.  It still hurts the first cold day of the year. 

My first rule for over 25 yo soccer - If somebody shows up wearing shin guards, I'm out.  Chances are they are either too uncoordinated/unskilled to stay out of a reckless challenge or are too competitive to want to avoid it.   

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

One time, playing summer league softball with some friends, I spilled like half my beer.

It was a hot day, and the beer was really cold and delicious.  But I spilled half of it, and after that, I didn't have as much beer as I did before.

So you're a beer half empty kind of guy?

Was playing softball and this SS thought he was still in college throwing to 1st base in the mid 80mph range. Asshole hit me in the knee on the way to 1st base. I walked it off after a bit.

The very next play there was a line-out and the same asshole hit me in the head as I was diving back to first base. Got knocked out for a few seconds and was called out because I never made it to the bag. I was walking back to a dugout until my teammate grabbed me and walked me to the correct dugout. We only had 10 players that game and I insisted on playing. Got moved to the catcher position and played the rest of the game concussed (didn't know it at the time)

Edited by mycox

20 hours ago, Stros said:

Softball guy would’ve tagged him out while they were performing cpr. 

Edited by Underdog

Pro tip for men's league soccer: watch the other team to figure out who isn't very good and give them space.  They aren't much of a threat since they lack skill and it's the guys who don't know how to play who play the most dangerously.  They tend to dive in, high kick, etc.  It's actually the more experienced, serious players who know what moves to avoid in order to decrease the chance of injury.  

21 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

So a few months ago, I started playing indoor soccer.  I figured I need some extra exercise.  I hate jogging for no purpose, but if I'm running after a ball, somehow it's fun.  And anyway, I played soccer when I was 7 and watch Premier League every weekend--obviously, I'm going to have no problem.

This is obviously a recipe for injury.  I really don't know what I was thinking.  On my team, we've had one pulled hamstring, one pulled quad, a pulled groin, a busted knee, and more than a few hangovers.

But we're all pretty much healthy for yesterday, when we've got two games.  Fortunately, they're not in a row--there's another game between our first game and our second.

First game goes well.  I score a goal.  I'm unreasonably happy for a guy who just scored a powerfully unathletic goal in a rec league adult soccer game.  But so it goes.

Next game gets ready, and one of the teams doesn't have enough players.  So I and another of my teammates volunteer to play for them--that way we'll have a full team plus a substitute.  So we'll be playing three games in a row.  But hey, no problem, right?  After all, I'm a goal-scorer!

I never got off the bench.

About seven minutes into the game, there's a 50/50 ball to our (i.e., my adopted team's) keeper, who slides to get it.  The other team's forward goes hard for it, and collides with the keeper.  The keeper goes right over his foot as the foot and ankle twist.  The guy goes down in a heap and starts screaming.  Like really screaming.  I look down at his leg at about the same time everyone else looks at the leg, and we all see the same thing--a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula.  The leg below the break is twisted at a 90* angle and broken at a 45* angle to the rest of the leg.  And there's blood, but actually not as much as you would think given the size of the laceration.

I've played a lot of sports as a kid and as an adult, but that's the first time I've ever seen that in person.  That was just horrifying to watch.

Is this a sequel to your "My shoulder really hurts" thread on Shaggy? 

I dislocated both ring fingers playing 16" softball in Chicago. Both were in our federal agent league, so those were always more competitive than the atty League and govt League I was in. Also in 16" the guys can't wear gloves... so yeah.

I currently play in a no slide-tackle coed soccer league here in north Texas, I switched from the open division to the over 30 because I got tired of guys in the early 20s playing like their paycheck depended on it and getting all pissed off at stupid shit. I've sprained my ankles and pulled a muscle in my back but in open I had a couple of plays where I got lucky to avoid injury. Had an asshole slide tackle me with studs up when I flicked the other other CB, if I wouldn't have seen it at the last second and get my studs out of the ground I don't doubt I coulda had a broken ankle. It cracked my heel counter and I did a near full flip from it.

I sprained the shit out of my ankle on New Year's Eve getting up out of my chair.......really.

Hey I am an old mother fucker.

That made me laugh. Only because just the other day I stretched and pulled my hamstring. Wtf. Getting old blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk