Adult Sports League Injuries

Ghost of LL

I'm a competitive motherfucker.  I'm Baker Mayfield passionate which leads us to this.

pickup basketball game, most untalented slow slothy motherfucker is guarding me, just hanging all over me because he has no skills.  I'm just playing on getting more and more angry about it and decide, with the ball on the wing, I'm gonna posterize this motherfucker and end this shit!  I dunked the fuck out of that asshole, his face was in my nuts and I slammed that fucker home with the force of Thor's hammer.  I guess my body was so tense from the anger that when I landed my right knee buckled and I tore my ACL.  Heard the snap, everyone cleared the floor and I sat there thinking I just broke my motherfucking leg.  Can't go full Mayfield.

23 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

that escalated really fucking quickly.

blew out my hip-flexor playing indoor soccer as an adult.  other than that have stayed pretty healthy other than back spasms on a couple of occasions. 

I was taking a shot and my plant foot slid on the turf, rolled my right ankle and tore my left hammy all in the same motion. It sucked.

19 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I'm still waiting for the lulz.

Last night in coed flag football I got hit square in the dick with the football.

Also, a couple of weeks ago a girl on our team tried to pull the flag on a hot girl on the other team but missed and pulled her shorts down and I saw her underwear.

47 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I'm a competitive motherfucker.  I'm Baker Mayfield passionate which leads us to this.

pickup basketball game, most untalented slow slothy motherfucker is guarding me, just hanging all over me because he has no skills.  I'm just playing on getting more and more angry about it and decide, with the ball on the wing, I'm gonna posterize this motherfucker and end this shit!  I dunked the fuck out of that asshole, his face was in my nuts and I slammed that fucker home with the force of Thor's hammer.  I guess my body was so tense from the anger that when I landed my right knee buckled and I tore my ACL.  Heard the snap, everyone cleared the floor and I sat there thinking I just broke my motherfucking leg.  Can't go full Mayfield.

tenor.gif?itemid=8085506

Co-ed softball two years ago.  Hit a double to knock in a run.  Throw goes home, so I advance to third.  Play is going to be close and ball is tailing towards me.  Slid (feet first) into third base.    Kind of rolled my body so my back was to the throw coming from the catcher.  Put my right arm down to brace myself and SNAP.  It sounded like someone spit a branch over their knee.  

QHbPivD.jpg

Running from first to catch a fly ball at the dugout (field one at Havins, IIRC), and they mount the chainlink fence upside down.

sigimg.png4dcf80c0-cd8c-4dd5-8159-747c35

Well, I climb a step or two to reach for the ball, put my hand up to stop my momentum, and one of those fuckers on the top go through my hand.  

I played softball, basketball, and flag football from 22-36. Quit playing when one of our players snapped his achilles. Took him months to recover and I decided it wasn't worth the risk of being laid up for several months anymore. My worst injury was getting punched in the jaw by the ball carrier when I went in to pull his flag. Dirty SOB. My jaw was swollen for 2 weeks. My teammates asked why I didn't kick his ass. When a guy punches you in the jaw with what felt like everything he had, the last thing you feel like doing is fighting. I was lucky I wasn't out cold. 

Played in a softball league. Saw a dude ruin his knee planting on the first base bag while he was trying to beat out a throw. He was a big boy too.

Also saw a guy break his femur(yes, the big bone that usually only breaks in car accidents and shit) while playing flag football. I have no idea how this happened, just that the sound of it was the gnarliest thing I've ever heard. I think he had some sort of calcium deficiency or something because that shit should not happen so easily to a dude in his mid-20s.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Sorry I missed this thread yesterday, I was too busy getting a CT scan on my shoulder at Fondren ortho hospital.

Torn Labrum/Ruptured bicep tendon. Got the Popeye thing with my bicep.

During the initial evaluation I asked the doc how he's gonna fix it. He said well we may not, you're 45 and its not gonna hurt anything.

Doc that's unacceptable, I'm an athlete!!!

I rounded first, never thought of the worst, as I studied the shortstops position. Snap! went my leg like the shell of an egg, someone call a decent physician. Now I'm no Pete Rose, I can't pretend. Though my mind is quite flexible these brittle bones don't bend.

Not me but the wife signed up for Co-Ed softball at work and was playing 1st base when the first batter on the first pitch of the first game of the season hit a scorching one bouncer that glanced off the top of her glove and right smack in her face near her eye.  I got some dirty looks in the ER waiting room from folks thinking I hit her. Poor guy felt horrible, don’t think he played anymore that season.  

Not me but the wife signed up for Co-Ed softball at work and was playing 1st base when the first batter on the first pitch of the first game of the season hit a scorching one bouncer that glanced off the top of her glove and right smack in her face near her eye.  I got some dirty looks in the ER waiting room from folks thinking I hit her. Poor guy felt horrible, don’t think he played anymore that season.  

My 18 year old high school senior daughter was playing 4 square with 3 varsity football players yesterday when she ran into one and broke her nose. 

No you can't have pics and yes there were lots of witnesses otherwise I'd have killed the guy.

ENT doc used the oldest trick in the book to straighten it "Now relax I'm just going to touch it gently. . .WHACK!" ok it's straight.

The kid felt so bad he brought her a get well card and flowers at school this morning.

Read her text about the broken nose and the blood about 3 minutes before my own doc shoved a needle into my own shoulder so that was a shitty experience.

about 25 years ago I played softball.  I was CF because I had serious wheels. 
Anyway, the big fucking ox playing RF ignored my "I GOT IT" call when a fly was hit between us.  Motherfucker took me out and I broke some ribs in the collision.  

Painful as fuck for weeks. 

On 4/11/2018 at 7:06 AM, PvilleStang said:

Running from first to catch a fly ball at the dugout (field one at Havins, IIRC), and they mount the chainlink fence upside down.

sigimg.png4dcf80c0-cd8c-4dd5-8159-747c35

Well, I climb a step or two to reach for the ball, put my hand up to stop my momentum, and one of those fuckers on the top go through my hand.  

Same.  18 stitches through my hand because I slipped and fell backward while the links were still in my hand.  Ripped the shit from mid-palm out between my ring and middle fingers.  They told me i was too drunk for anesthesia.

This is the true story of how Apple Skoal can save your life.

I played on a team with Beckett trading cards a few years back.  We had one guy that was not very good, but neither was our team.  We are getting warmed up prior to a game and there are a few guys milling around the dugout, when suddenly one guy starts convulsing and eyes roll back in his head.  Next thing you know he comes to, throws up and is gasping for air.  We get the medics over quickly and they take him out on a stretcher to the ER.

His heart had stopped but he swallowed the Apple Skoal which made him throw up, which started his heart again.  This was what the medic told us the next week at the game.  

Beer league softball. Our right fielder had never played before this particular season. 2nd game of the season, a towering fly ball is hit to right. He actually takes a really good line for it and gets right underneath it. Does everything but catch it. The ball hits him straight on the right eye. Fractured orbital bone. Blood everywhere. It made the sickest hollow sound.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:28 PM, Speedtrucker said:

I currently play in a no slide-tackle coed soccer league here in north Texas, I switched from the open division to the over 30 because I got tired of guys in the early 20s playing like their paycheck depended on it and getting all pissed off at stupid shit. I've sprained my ankles and pulled a muscle in my back but in open I had a couple of plays where I got lucky to avoid injury. Had an asshole slide tackle me with studs up when I flicked the other other CB, if I wouldn't have seen it at the last second and get my studs out of the ground I don't doubt I coulda had a broken ankle. It cracked my heel counter and I did a near full flip from it.

Weird.  Here in Austin the Men's Open is generally much calmer in the than the Over30.  I refuse to play O30 Premier because that shit (fighting, cheap fouls, dangerous play) is not fucking fun at all, and it's a ton of has beens that keep trying to play like they're 25.  I'd rather play with the young guys that still can get their body to do what they think they can, and don't have 15+ years of bad blood with the other teams.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, Ghost of LL said:

So a few months ago, I started playing indoor soccer.  I figured I need some extra exercise.  I hate jogging for no purpose, but if I'm running after a ball, somehow it's fun.  And anyway, I played soccer when I was 7 and watch Premier League every weekend--obviously, I'm going to have no problem.

About seven minutes into the game, there's a 50/50 ball to our (i.e., my adopted team's) keeper, who slides to get it.  The other team's forward goes hard for it, and collides with the keeper.  The keeper goes right over his foot as the foot and ankle twist.  The guy goes down in a heap and starts screaming.  Like really screaming.  I look down at his leg at about the same time everyone else looks at the leg, and we all see the same thing--a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula.  The leg below the break is twisted at a 90* angle and broken at a 45* angle to the rest of the leg.  And there's blood, but actually not as much as you would think given the size of the laceration.

You play at Soccerzone north or south?  And for the record, that's why there is no sliding in indoor and I stay the fuck away from the keeper when they slide.

In Mens's outdoor over the last 12 years or so I've seen 1 tib/fib break.  I've seen 3 broken arms, personally broken my nose 3x, and seen 3 ACL tears (2 non-contact, 1 a tackle from behind).

Coed I *knock on wood* haven't seen any bad injuries.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:43 AM, mycox said:

Was playing softball and this SS thought he was still in college throwing to 1st base in the mid 80mph range. Asshole hit me in the knee on the way to 1st base. I walked it off after a bit.

The very next play there was a line-out and the same asshole hit me in the head as I was diving back to first base. Got knocked out for a few seconds and was called out because I never made it to the bag. I was walking back to a dugout until my teammate grabbed me and walked me to the correct dugout. We only had 10 players that game and I insisted on playing. Got moved to the catcher position and played the rest of the game concussed (didn't know it at the time)

This is fantastic.  I'm dying over here.

When my friend and I first moved to Knoxville we joined a local softball league.  First game, friend is trying to throw out a guy running home.  Friend in LF; shitty guy who can’t catch playing behind the plate.  Throw hits him in the head leading to a broken skull and bleeding on the brain.  Dude almost died.  They put a metal plate in his head.

Several years ago I was playing in an indoor soccer league.  I was playing keeper and got hit in the eye with the ball.  Detached a retina which required all kinds of crap including sitting on my ass for at least a week.  No reading.  I literally could only watch television.

I was supposed to start a trial in Montgomery County that week.  We had a hearing with the judge on getting the trial date reset and she said something like: "wait a minute.  you got hit in the eye while playing goalie?  Aren't goalies allowed to use their hands?"  Needless to say, lots of laughs in the courtroom.