Fleetwood Mac has fired Buckingham, hired Mike Campbell

Gil Bang

On 11/11/2020 at 9:59 PM, CHIEF said:

Watched this thread for a bit. Always been a big fan of FM, but Lindsey always made the band for me. My favorite FM song is Big Love, the masturbatory version shown above (like 16/16 time). My favorite song of Lindsey Buckingham's is Stephanie, it was on the Buckingham Nicks album before Fleetwood Mack. It is tuned to DADF#AD, I keep a guitar tuned to that tuning and play it at least 5 times per day. Here is the original:

What a goddess. 

Here he is playing it later in Ft. Worth:

Absolutely love this song.

CHIEF

That's a great song.  It's interesting how he completely lifts his fret hand when he's playing open.  I'd get lost trying to find my way back.  But, I suck.

• 3 weeks later...

He's coming through Austin at the Paramount which I think will be an ideal venue for him by himself/backing band.  I love the guy and the music but I'm really hoping it doesn't devolve into the set being 30% of him complaining about Fleetwood Mac.  

On 9/10/2021 at 3:49 PM, Lobo said:

He's coming through Austin at the Paramount which I think will be an ideal venue for him by himself/backing band.  I love the guy and the music but I'm really hoping it doesn't devolve into the set being 30% of him complaining about Fleetwood Mac.  

Thx, didn't know he was coming on tour, mentioned this to the wife and she was receptive so hope to get tickets soon.  He's definitely a genius, but a self-destructive one, hope he makes it to December...

On 9/10/2021 at 2:50 PM, tbone_ said:

I read that. They’re worse than my 14 yo daughter and her friends.

Great music but get over yourselves. No one cares anymore. And I’m huge FM fan.

Yeah... I love FM and Lindsey Buckingham, but all signs point to him being a huge self-important asshole. I mean, with all of the drama in that band over multiple decades, it says something that they finally told him to fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I was thinking about Fleetwood Mac after the terrible fires in Maui.  As most of you surely know, Mick Fleetwood's restaurant is a total loss.  His house survived, though, as did Stevie Nicks' house.

I wonder if this would be impetus for Mick, Stevie and John McVie to invite Lindsey Buckingham back into the fold for benefit concert(s)?  That relationship is probably turbofucked, but one can dream.  That said, the band has claimed "they're done", but . . .

The other question would be "who would take on Christine McVie's role in the band?"

My suggestion:  Norah Jones.  Any others?

Edited by jimmyjazz

Norah's an excellent suggestion and now that you've planted the seed I can't think of anyone who would be a better fit either vocally or musically than her. 

That being said, I'd be shocked if the fires moved the needle towards a reunion. Stevie and Mick have long established roots there, but would Lindsey performing for a show or two make a sizable difference in any funds raised? Probably not. 

If they wanted to raise serious coin, Zuckerberg--who owns a couple thousand acres on one of the islands--should challenge Musk to a dick measuring contest with each putting up a billion dollars. That's essentially what they were trying to do with their stupid MMA match that's never gonna happen.

Yeah, it's a pipe dream.  And, as you say, Lindsey might not make all that much difference.

That said, Live Aid raised $125M, which would be some $350M in today's dollars.  That's a big chunk of the estimated $1B in losses.  (I doubt it would meet the Live Aid bar, but if you get enough big acts like the Foos and Gaga etc., it could still be impactful.)