Mexico City

SimonBolivar

The week is finally here. Paid the upcharge (vs. leaving from SA) out of Austin, but arriving a few hours earlier than the earliest out of SA, so I"m good with the trade-off. 

Friday - Xochimilco and if not completely wasted, Lucha Libre in the evening. 

Saturday - Teotihuacan and hopefully a cave restaurant outside the pyramids (Any suggestions??) and then find somewhere to watch the Canelo fight. 

Sunday - Short day excursion to Puebla to just wander around and walk through the city. Leaving Monday afternoon.

Will try a quesadilla this time, and every damn taco I see in the city. Or at least every taco stand that people seem to be eating at so I don't catch the chorro for 3 months like I did last time. 

52 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

The week is finally here. Paid the upcharge (vs. leaving from SA) out of Austin, but arriving a few hours earlier than the earliest out of SA, so I"m good with the trade-off. 

Friday - Xochimilco and if not completely wasted, Lucha Libre in the evening. 

Saturday - Teotihuacan and hopefully a cave restaurant outside the pyramids (Any suggestions??) and then find somewhere to watch the Canelo fight. 

I’ve never been there, but we are going to La Gruta after the pyramids.  It appears to have the largest and most spectacular caves, but it’s also looks like the most touristy.  There’s other cavelike restaurants in the area that I’d rather go to, like Mictlán; they are smaller, but not quite as touristy. La Caverna is another restaurant in the area.

Edited by Matuka
La Cueva also looks pretty grandiose.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Matuka said:

I’ve never been there, but we are going to La Gruta after the pyramids.  It appears to have the largest and most spectacular caves, but it’s also looks like the most touristy.

I've been to La Gruta, it is definitely tourist friendly, but I liked it. The shade of the cave is nice after running around in the sun at the pyramids.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Sunday - Short day excursion to Puebla to just wander around and walk through the city. Leaving Monday afternoon.

Will try a quesadilla this time, and every damn taco I see in the city. Or at least every taco stand that people seem to be eating at so I don't catch the chorro for 3 months like I did last time. 

We'll be at the Puebla Costco on Sunday if you want an authentic Puebla hot dog 

On 5/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, Matuka said:

I’ve never been there, but we are going to La Gruta after the pyramids.  It appears to have the largest and most spectacular caves, but it’s also looks like the most touristy.  There’s other cavelike restaurants in the area that I’d rather go to, like Mictlán; they are smaller, but not quite as touristy. La Caverna is another restaurant in the area.

Make another post on this thread so I can rep again for the Mictlan rec, everybody in the group loved it.  That little drive out there is definitely misleading and I almost doubted myself when I saw the desert, the shacks outside, etc., then you walk down into the cave and understand the experience. Even surprised myself and didn't hesitate to try the chapulines.

Killed it in CDMX this weekend. We had a driver for the weekend so I couldn't have ever done it as badass on my own. Xochimilco and Lucha Libre on Friday, Teotihucan/Mictlan and Estadio Azteca (Cruz Azul vs Necaxa play-in) on Saturday, Puebla/Cholula (maybe my favorite part of the trip, what a kick ass little city) and then Plaza Garibaldi to round out the night on Sunday. Badass weekend. Mole poblano in Cholula might have been the best meal of the trip, but it was definitely rivaled by the birria de chivo tacos this morning from La Polar. I needed those yesterday instead for the crudo tequila put on me during the Canelo loss. 

• Hook 'Em 5

@BurdineBanditGlad you enjoyed your trip and especially to Mictlan.  I may have to try to influence my travel companion to go there instead of La Gruta.  I'm a little hesitant to do so because I've planned almost the whole itinerary except Museo de Arte Moderno and La Gruta.  

mi viaje empieza el jueves hermanos...

• Hook 'Em 1

Kind of Mexico City related.  Thinking about making a trip to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta,  but flying out of San Antonio on a Mexican carrier which has a change of plane at Mexico City.   How is the transfer process at the Airport from an international to domestic flight?   The fares are fairly good right now vs US based airlines, but thinking is it worth the headache if connecting is mess.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

Kind of Mexico City related.  Thinking about making a trip to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta,  but flying out of San Antonio on a Mexican carrier which has a change of plane at Mexico City.   How is the transfer process at the Airport from an international to domestic flight?   The fares are fairly good right now vs US based airlines, but thinking is it worth the headache if connecting is mess.  
I can't speak to the actual transfer process, but I flew out of Mexico City weekend before last and that airport is a mess. Poor confusing signage, staff without answers, and a generally unpleasant ambience less the ability to buy and consume beer from the little stores. All that's to say that a transfer may be perfectly easy, but I'd leave plenty of time in between flights just in case it's not.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Hobby used to be my most hated airport in the world until I was subjected to Mexico City 7 times in the last 2 years.

• Like 1

A new airport outside of Mexico City just opened  up, but none of the U.S. based carriers want to go there.  The airport is way outside the City center, and public transportation out that way is reported to be inadequate.  
Only 16 flights operate out of the airport each day, all but one in country.  Chilangos, gringos and in-country citizens don’t seem to be demanding to use the new airport.

And apparently quite the controversy.

Trying to go back to CDMX late this year or early next year.  Such an amazing city.   Amazing tacos at El Farolito (there’s more than 20 around the city) and stupid cheap.

Last time I went I stayed at the W in Polanco and about 2-3 blocks away there was a line of little spots to eat. It was basically a bunch of blue tarps covering white party tables all connected together. Each little spot had different things.  Best hangover cure.

35 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Two Volaris planes nearly collide. Only in the news because someone put a video up, otherwise the mexican authorities would have denied it.

https://kfgo.com/2022/05/09/probe-under-way-after-near-collision-at-mexico-city-airport/?fbclid=IwAR2bqHw5KK3SUQhVE73WXkO0qMoyQTaLgWX0Y_CiPI_cJbCNOxfjY20PqPo

Related

Airlines concerned about safety in Mexico City’s airspace

https://thepointsguy.com/news/mexico-city-airspace/

On second thought... maybe paying the extra few bucks to by pass Mexico City Airport is worth it until they figure something out.

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Related

Airlines concerned about safety in Mexico City’s airspace

https://thepointsguy.com/news/mexico-city-airspace/

On second thought... maybe paying the extra few bucks to by pass Mexico City Airport is worth it until they figure something out.

Guadalajara handles a lot of connections too, you should look there.

56 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Me voy jueves.
Hows the rain been?
Quick showers only?
Hopefully wont be too hot.
Regreso el 31

Got back Monday, no rain the five days I was there.  But I think you are getting close to the rainy season IIRC.

Was at the pyramides last Sunday, was worried about the sun and heat.  I wore a long-sleeved white fishing t-shirt; it was breezy and I didn't suffer at all.  We drank lots of water, you should too.  Vaya con Dios hermano.

Edited by Matuka

Got back Monday, no rain the five days I was there.  But I think you are getting close to the rainy season IIRC.
Was at the pyramides last Sunday, was worried about the sun and heat.  I wore a long-sleeved white fishing t-shirt; it was breezy and I didn't suffer at all.  We drank lots of water, you should too.  Vaya con Dios hermano.

Vale

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Sucks they won't let people climb the pyramids anymore.  We did it as kids and I had my kids do it a 5-6 years ago.  Hope they change that soon.

My friend has worked for INAH for years and she doubts that will change. The pandemic gave them BS justifications to stop people climbing many structures that were perfectly safe before a virus somehow made them dangerous to climb (Uxmal, Coba, Ek Balam, etc.)

Your best bet is to contact INAH and throw some money around; they are known to bend the rules for "donors".

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

My friend has worked for INAH for years and she doubts that will change. The pandemic gave them BS justifications to stop people climbing many structures that were perfectly safe before a virus somehow made them dangerous to climb (Uxmal, Coba, Ek Balam, etc.)

Your best bet is to contact INAH and throw some money around; they are known to bend the rules for "donors".

Well, we managed to do it.  Sucks for others.

Oh, that cave restaurant is cool. Touristy?  Yeah but extremely cool.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, rage-a-holic said:

No shit?  I climbed then in March 2020.  We barely squeezed that trip in and then everything started shutting down right after I got home.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone spend significant time in CDMX during the rainy season? Looking to see just how bad it is. The internet is everywhere from "deluge from 2pm-8pm every day" to "kinda like Florida with afternoon showers, but otherwise it's good."

For context, we are heading somewhere once my daughter's school year is over in early June and coming back late August in time to get settled before school starts back up. Last year, we did Madrid with various side trips. This year, we're looking at CDMX vs. Barcelona or Tarragona. Been to CDMX twice, both times in the Condesa/Roma area. With two young kids, we may be looking Polanco this time. Kids are fluent, having been in 100% immersion since 12mo. old each, and I'm B2 and my wife is B1 in Spanish, so not too worried about getting around, even if we miss a subtlety here or there.

Bigly wanting to do CDMX because of savings and time zone (remote work for me during the days, and the Madrid time difference was rough last year), but don't want to be rained out basically every evening after work for us and daycare for the kids.

Tarragona is a cool town. It was the Roman capital and there are tons of ruins to see. Good tapas and seafood.

Edited by WBT

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at alternative flight paths to South America. 

Generally speaking, how much of a layover (for international departure) would I need to be able to do something worthwhile in Mexico City without feeling rushed? It looks like luggage storage is an option there.

”Something worthwhile” could be anything from an awesome helado to street food to a restaurant to a museum or whatever. 

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Depending on when you arrive (non-rush hour hopefully), there are some options for food nearby.  I've never eaten close to Benito Juarez but IIRC, I read about a few viable options.  While Uber is a definite player in CDMX, I don't know that they are allowed close to the terminal to pick up passengers. (I would definitely use Uber on the way back to the airport).  And the Metro is awesome to get around CDMX although it's a fair little hike from the international terminal to the first station.

You're probably a good 35 minutes or more car ride to a fashionable neighborhood (I think Roma Norte would be the closest), but there are more humble neighborhoods close to the airport.  Metro into the central downtown area could be quicker but can get very crowded.  

And I would want at least 2 hours at the airport to check-in, clear customs again and go thru security.  

Mexico City is awesome; I'm thinking of getting back there for a long weekend this year.

36 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Looking at alternative flight paths to South America. 

Generally speaking, how much of a layover (for international departure) would I need to be able to do something worthwhile in Mexico City without feeling rushed? It looks like luggage storage is an option there.

”Something worthwhile” could be anything from an awesome helado to street food to a restaurant to a museum or whatever. 

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Hook 'Em 1