Jump to content

Mexico City


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My Spanish is shit. I've been reading up, and it sounds like taking the bus out there is a viable option. Anyone done that? I am loathe to take a tour. Would much rather do it on my own, as it is my understanding that the tours dint spend nearly enough time amongst the ruins.

Also, what else are do not misses?

I'm pretty sure @Brisketexan took the bus and didnt have any problems, but I'm not sure how it works as far as transfers. The main attraction is just the vitality of the city itself. Food and people everywhere. I'd spend a lot of time in Roma/Condesa and Chapultepec.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've stayed here 3 times (and have a 4th stay planned) when in CDMX:

https://www.dominioncondesa.com/

Perfect quiet and very green location across from Parque Mexico.  Very close to lots of restaurants and bars.  As for transportation, we use Uber.  For going to something like the pyramids, just get a private driver.  Screw buses.

BTW, if you need a food guide, look up https://eatlikealocal.com.mx/ - Rocio is awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My Spanish is shit. I've been reading up, and it sounds like taking the bus out there is a viable option. Anyone done that? I am loathe to take a tour. Would much rather do it on my own, as it is my understanding that the tours dint spend nearly enough time amongst the ruins.

Also, what else are do not misses?

It’s like a $25-$28 Uber ride to the pyramids and you can just grab one that’s dropping people off to get back 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Spanish is shit. I've been reading up, and it sounds like taking the bus out there is a viable option. Anyone done that? I am loathe to take a tour. Would much rather do it on my own, as it is my understanding that the tours dint spend nearly enough time amongst the ruins.

Also, what else are do not misses?

The boy and I did the bus, it was great, cheap, and easy.

Like $4-5 a head. Just uber to the station for Autobuses Del Norte. But a round trip ticket, and go. That way, you get to spend hours out there, at your own pace. Plenty of little places outside the gates selling cheap lunches and cold drinks.

And the bus ride is something to experience as well. A little local flavor as opposed to an uber (and we used uber all over, not criticizing it).
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2018 at 8:17 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:


Also, what else are do not misses?

Not sure if I or somebody else already mentioned it, but you might enjoy Coyoacan (older suburb south of downtown) where Frida and Diego lived.

I've been to their Casa Azul a couple of times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo_Museum

I have not yet visited this one. where their individual houses were connected by a walkway: https://en.wikiarquitectura.com/building/house-studio-museum-of-diego-rivera-and-frida-kahlo/

If you want to get your revolutionary protest on, visit this part of the UNAM campus that has been occupied since the 90s, the Auditorio Justo Sierra. I think they serve sammitches:

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.3347899,-99.1874325,3a,80y,145.85h,87.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNUzPreBLHMm5tGweP6LhoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If movie making/movie history is your thing, they might have tours at Estudios Churubusco Azteca, home of everything from Wrestlers Fighting Zombies movies to golden age Pedro Infante classics, to quite a few modern US blockbusters:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Estudios+Churubusco+Azteca/@19.3548645,-99.1419222,1760m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x85d1fe339d66b6d3:0x3dd5fe2638b6dc8d!8m2!3d19.3548644!4d-99.1419232

If golf is your thing, the Churubusco Country Club is right next to it. I'd just dress up nice and talk my way in if I were you.

There is also a fencing club in that area, if that's your bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't seen if someone mentioned it or not (maybe didn't bother looking) but Lucha Libre is a must-do.  We went to Arena Mexico... bought tickets through Ticketmaster at some record store in the centro near Azul Historico... tickets on the 9th row were not expensive at all.  Took an Uber to/from the Arena, bought some 100 Peso masks from vendors outside, went in and had a blast.  Lots of good information on the web about going.  Totally worth it, it is super fake, super fun and hilarious to watch the crowd get into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Haven't seen if someone mentioned it or not (maybe didn't bother looking) but Lucha Libre is a must-do.  We went to Arena Mexico... bought tickets through Ticketmaster at some record store in the centro near Azul Historico... tickets on the 9th row were not expensive at all.  Took an Uber to/from the Arena, bought some 100 Peso masks from vendors outside, went in and had a blast.  Lots of good information on the web about going.  Totally worth it, it is super fake, super fun and hilarious to watch the crowd get into it.

There's a great doc on Netflix about that arena and some of the characters that wrestle there-that would be a bucket list thing to do for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Making lunch reservations for our trip.  So far booked a classic Saturday lunch at San Angel Inn and booking Sunday lunch at Vasconcelos.  Friday we'll hit up Xochimilco so we'll eat street food and "boat food".  Not sure about dinners yet although I'm quite sure El Califa will be in the books one night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2018 at 11:18 PM, texasdago said:

Making lunch reservations for our trip.  So far booked a classic Saturday lunch at San Angel Inn and booking Sunday lunch at Vasconcelos.  Friday we'll hit up Xochimilco so we'll eat street food and "boat food".  Not sure about dinners yet although I'm quite sure El Califa will be in the books one night.

One of my best friends from college is the Califa's grandson.  Good tacos.  might be said its the Torchy's of CDMX, but still damn tasty

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone brought up La Casa del Tono?  It's got kind of a Cafe du Monde vibe -- clean, hopping cafe (multiple locations).  Lots of folks eating there both before going out for a night on the town and (late), after.  Fantastic posole, guacamole, horchata, and flan, for CHEAP.  For my son and I, it was one of our favorite meals there.  We did it the evening after hiking all over Teotihuacan.  The horchata was freaking magic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

One of my best friends from college is the Califa's grandson.  Good tacos.  might be said its the Torchy's of CDMX, but still damn tasty

 

I dropped in there on our first trip two years ago when I needed a taco fix... just went with regular al pastor.  El Tizoncito is one of my favorites.

Great thing is you find amazing tacos all over the place.   One of my favorites is a little kiosko on the corner of Plaza Santa Catarina in Coyoacan.  Walk up, order your sloppy taco, eat it on the shareable plastic plates and move on.  Soooo good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, Brisketexan said:

Has anyone brought up La Casa del Tono?  It's got kind of a Cafe du Monde vibe -- clean, hopping cafe (multiple locations).  Lots of folks eating there both before going out for a night on the town and (late), after.  Fantastic posole, guacamole, horchata, and flan, for CHEAP.  For my son and I, it was one of our favorite meals there.  We did it the evening after hiking all over Teotihuacan.  The horchata was freaking magic.

That was a good post-drinking meal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone been watching "Made in Mexico"?   I'd say it puts Mexico City in a pretty good light (so far).

 

BTW, you'll notice them go into the country to rancehs with beautiful pine trees, gorgeous countryside.  That's so close to Mexico City... if you go to Tepotzlan, you'll go right through it.  Feels more the mountains between San Diego and Palm Springs than Mexico City.  Really pretty.  Strongly suggest visiting https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/mexico/articles/11-reasons-why-the-parque-nacional-desierto-de-los-leones-should-be-on-your-bucket-list/ next time you're in CDMX and you'll see what I mean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Anyone been watching "Made in Mexico"?   I'd say it puts Mexico City in a pretty good light (so far).

We've seen the first two episodes. LOL at the  crazy girl from Tijuana what a trip. Most of them actually come off as fairly likable which had me surprised looking at them. Tried to book a spur of the moment trip from DFW for this 3 day weekend, but got overrode for a one day Austin trip instead...bummer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We've seen the first two episodes. LOL at the  crazy girl from Tijuana what a trip. Most of them actually come off as fairly likable which had me surprised looking at them. Tried to book a spur of the moment trip from DFW for this 3 day weekend, but got overrode for a one day Austin trip instead...bummer.

Watching the show you tend to see quite a few familiar places.  Easy to spot Gin Gin's wall of skulls in the first episode - https://www.worldsbestbars.com/bar/mexico-city/cuauhtemoc-juarez/gin-gin/ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2018 at 8:43 AM, texasdago said:

Anyone been watching "Made in Mexico"?   I'd say it puts Mexico City in a pretty good light (so far).

 

BTW, you'll notice them go into the country to rancehs with beautiful pine trees, gorgeous countryside.  That's so close to Mexico City... if you go to Tepotzlan, you'll go right through it.  Feels more the mountains between San Diego and Palm Springs than Mexico City.  Really pretty.  Strongly suggest visiting https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/mexico/articles/11-reasons-why-the-parque-nacional-desierto-de-los-leones-should-be-on-your-bucket-list/ next time you're in CDMX and you'll see what I mean.

Just started it last night. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Zombie said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the bull fights are a fun time. Not for everyone of course, but an interesting cultural experience. I think the season begins in November and is on Sundays. 

What are the concessions like at a bull fight in Mexico?

Edited by SimonBolivar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

What are the concessions like at a bull fight in Mexico?

 

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

MY guess is that concessions at just about any event in Mexico City are awesome... usually you can bring stuff in.  Not always.  

They are awesome. Tons of booze and beer, tacos, grilled meats, and people walking around selling fruit cups, weird dry meats, nuts, etc.... A lot of men are smoking nice cigars that vendors are selling. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I love checking this webcam and hearing the organ grinders you see on every corner in the zocalo...

 

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-mexico-zocalo

 

Assuming no gunfire, Garibaldi is great

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-mexico-garibaldi

That webcam on the Zocalo is exactly 2 floors above where our room was in May. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Have a 48 hour guys weekend. Staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico. Anyone been there or know the area? Reviews seem good

Never stayed there but it's close to La Condesa/Roma and Chapultepec.  I'd stick to these areas and a trip to the historic center. All easy and cheap uber rides. Definitely need to be in the La Condesa and Roma areas at night. Great scene.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, was looking through Twitter... one thing to think about while in town is who is playing...

Saw that the past few days, there are/were concerts by Johnny Marr (The Smiths), U2, Noel Gallagher, Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order), etc.  Great music scene.  My cousins saw Metallica play in the Zocalo last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Piggybacking on the CDMX thread -

Friend and I are working on a CDMX/other parts of Mexico return.  We want to fit in Guadalajara, CDMX and Oaxaca into about 9 days.  Is the best plan to go Houston -> Guad -> CDMX -> Puebla/Oaxaca (by bus) -> Houston?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got back from Mexico City.  Another great trip.  So much eating.

 

A new tip... if you want to go buy mezcal to bring home, go here in Condesa: https://www.facebook.com/laoriundaroma/ - Rodrigo, the owner, is very cool and the selection will blow your mind.  While you are in the neighborhood, this is where you want to get your elote:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Elotes/@19.4113264,-99.1710863,21z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x85d1ff4489e635e3:0xed1c076e8bc9b8e7!2sLa+Condesa,+Mexico+City,+CDMX,+Mexico!3b1!8m2!3d19.4149803!4d-99.1774462!3m4!1s0x0:0x851c983739f0141b!8m2!3d19.4115067!4d-99.1711965 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...