Building a gaming PC

C-Man

23 hours ago, elfenix said:

not a bad time for it as GPU prices have crashed pretty hard. 

reddit likes this sale on this board today:

https://www.newegg.com/msi-pro-b550m-vc-wifi/p/N82E16813144548

and on this gpu:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gv-r665xtgaming-oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932520

amd 5600 processors were on sale for $129 on amazon yesterday, or $125 at microcenter right now if you can get to one (not sure if you're in mexico)

Thanks. I'll check out the MB and CPU. The GPU won't fit in my HTPC case and it looks to be a bit of overkill for my purposes.

This is what I'm about to get right now:

https://www.newegg.com/msi-pro-b550m-vc-wifi/p/N82E16813144548

MSI PRO PRO B550M-VC WIFI AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s MATX AMD Motherboard

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092L9GF5N/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6-Core 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

I'm gonna stick with the onboard GPU for now, and get a separate one if it starts choking on the undemanding games I have.

Anyone see any issues? I already have power supply, SSD, case, etc.

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not having a discrete GPU would be an issue for me, but needs vary.

I also don't care for the microATX form factor, but understand why you're interested at that price.

What sort of games do you play?

mostly older undemanding stuff. Newer stuff I get for my consoles. mATX is a requirement for the HTPC case I have. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Got a new build up and running this evening and then I realized I hadn't accounted for Windows. What's the current way to do this? I think last time I got one from CDKeys or Kinguin.

You can install Windows 10 without a key, it just superimposes an "Activate Windows" reminder at the bottom right. My new build has it, doesn't bother me too much, just waiting for a cheap key deal to show up.

activate.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 11:22 PM, Captainant said:

I mean, it's the 4070. They just didn't want to charge $900 for a xx70 card and break their pricing model. Because the 12GB and 16GB 4080s weren't just a difference in memory, the 16GB was 30% faster by Nvidia's own published benchmarks. And then they "unlaunched" the 12GB 3 days after they published the numbers lol

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-now-up-for-preorder-in-china-for-same-price-as-canceled-rtx-4080-12gb

Lmao I fuckin called it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those Newegg links suck ass for linking a build, so here they are and what I'm thinking....

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fnDQsL

or

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FBXV9r

Removing some RGB features and windows key + a change in case brought it down to the following values:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bQ62wc for the 7900x

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LcxTgb for the 5900x

Built my son's computer about 3 years ago, upgraded his graphics card from a rx 5700 to an rx 6800xt this Christmas. Everything works great. Going to upgrade the processor to a ryzen 5700X for his birthday.  Anything tricky about replacing a processor?

I'm planning on taking his old parts and building myself a pc, just trying to decide if I should get a new case or use my old one from 2006.

Built my son's computer about 3 years ago, upgraded his graphics card from a rx 5700 to an rx 6800xt this Christmas. Everything works great. Going to upgrade the processor to a ryzen 5700X for his birthday.  Anything tricky about replacing a processor?

I'm planning on taking his old parts and building myself a pc, just trying to decide if I should get a new case or use my old one from 2006.
Just make sure the 5700x is supported by the motherboard and have some thermal paste handy.

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Removing some RGB features and windows key + a change in case brought it down to the following values:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bQ62wc for the 7900x

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LcxTgb for the 5900x

Why are you getting all Kingston stuff? 

Also why are you getting a 1TB NVMe and a 2TB NVMe?

Why is there no hard drive?

Why are you not getting an AIO water cooler and using air cooler?

Why only 32GB of RAM?

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

Why are you getting all Kingston stuff? 

Also why are you getting a 1TB NVMe and a 2TB NVMe?

Why is there no hard drive?

Why are you not getting an AIO water cooler and using air cooler?

Why only 32GB of RAM?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3rtFg <-- I would build something like this instead, I know it's more money, but there is a few things of note:

I picked the 7950x instead of 7900x because why wouldn't you go all the way? There is no reason to get the 7900x from the 5900x being considered, you may as well get the 7700x which is cheaper so there's optionality there. 

I got 64GB of RAM, which is infinitely more useful than extra clockspeed on DDR5.

This system will likely not throttle nearly as much during actual workloads because the case is way better and the AIO cooler is going to keep a 7950x much cooler than an air cooler.

The video card is 100 more because you found a 1200 xtx somewhere.

The one I parted out has 12TB of storage vs 3TB and 4TB of gen 4 NVMe on the fastest real world drive you can buy with money

I am partial to gigabyte motherboards, but really any can be swapped out here as long as it is the 670 chipset. 

Pro Tip: With NVMe drives, always buy the biggest drive you can afford vs 2 different drives, you can physically split nvme drives in the bios if you want to "show up" as 2 different physical drives, you can also just be smarter about partitioning if you wanted, but there is no advantage to spreading out nand vs putting it all in one slot as you will never be using software raid or any raid for that matter on NVMe devices as their performance is orders of magnitude better than SATA SSD's without it and the firmware does all kinds of stuff to keep data safe.

12 hours ago, immamac said:

Pro Tip: With NVMe drives, always buy the biggest drive you can afford vs 2 different drives, you can physically split nvme drives in the bios if you want to "show up" as 2 different physical drives, you can also just be smarter about partitioning if you wanted, but there is no advantage to spreading out nand vs putting it all in one slot as you will never be using software raid or any raid for that matter on NVMe devices as their performance is orders of magnitude better than SATA SSD's without it and the firmware does all kinds of stuff to keep data safe.

Does that hinder performance? 

Also I don't think I need 12tb's of storage. I'd probably size up to a 4gb seeing what you said just above. 

Split it into 1tb for Windows/file storage and 3 tb for gaming storage.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

What's the difference between pro and home? less of the bullshit and more barebones?

pro you can do Remote Desktop with and it doesn't have the baked in advertisements from msft. There's a few other things as well.

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11-home-vs-windows-11-pro/

You are never going to even touch the max performance of a gen 4 NVMe drive doing gaming or normal computer things so getting a 4TB and splitting it up is a great idea. 

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

Anybody have an 11th gen i5 or better CPU they want to get rid of?  Anybody ever buy a used CPU off Amazon before?

eBay is better for used PC parts, but typically there isn't a really good reason to buy a used part, the discounts off of new or refurb just aren't there to justify it. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

That crucial drive is dogshit and uses micron budget nand which is very meh. Samsung and WD are the kings of this space for a reason, their nand is far superior and the controllers are way better. It would be worth the extra money to upgrade to the enthusiast tier (990, SN850X) from Samsung or WD_Black (I work for Western Digital FWIW).

It looks like I'm an idiot and I got curious about it after mentioning it yesterday, but it seems like on AM5 dual channel single rank (2 DIMM) is actually more performant and gets you higher bandwidth and lower latency than dual channel dual rank (4 DIMM). Your original config is good, but 32GB or RAM is very meh nowadays especially if you are switching between games and/or editing anything like videos. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

pro you can do Remote Desktop with and it doesn't have the baked in advertisements from msft. There's a few other things as well.

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11-home-vs-windows-11-pro/

You are never going to even touch the max performance of a gen 4 NVMe drive doing gaming or normal computer things so getting a 4TB and splitting it up is a great idea. 

eBay is better for used PC parts, but typically there isn't a really good reason to buy a used part, the discounts off of new or refurb just aren't there to justify it. 

That crucial drive is dogshit and uses micron budget nand which is very meh. Samsung and WD are the kings of this space for a reason, their nand is far superior and the controllers are way better. It would be worth the extra money to upgrade to the enthusiast tier (990, SN850X) from Samsung or WD_Black (I work for Western Digital FWIW).

It looks like I'm an idiot and I got curious about it after mentioning it yesterday, but it seems like on AM5 dual channel single rank (2 DIMM) is actually more performant and gets you higher bandwidth and lower latency than dual channel dual rank (4 DIMM). Your original config is good, but 32GB or RAM is very meh nowadays especially if you are switching between games and/or editing anything like videos. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t3HsQ6

I'm honestly never going to use 4tb of storage. This 1tb m2 WD blue(OS/videos/files) and 2 TB WD black you recommended(which outperforms the samsung 980 pro apparently) will be dedicated for game storage. I know you said you can split but it just saves about $140-150

This seems pretty comparable to the RAM you recommended but I can't find 2 32gigs of the vengeance. It only comes in a pack of 4 with the CL36 memory 

image.thumb.png.3e8772fad396382283a682d83e760619.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White

On 1/2/2023 at 3:36 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

This should be vastly superior than my 8700k and 2080

1BF81380-DEB8-46B0-A273-2DD9777C79FD.png

Today I learned that I could stick a Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X into the system I built a few years ago and jump from my 8-core 3700x to a 12-core or 16-core system.

Not going to lie, that's pretty cool, although I'd be going from a 65W TDP default to 105W, which, I built it in a small form-factor case with a mini-ITX case (the black one below), and I'm not sure I want to do that.  Plus I can't justify the money (no need for 12 or 16 cores), but damn, that gives me several extra years if I want to upgrade it in a few years and give it to my kid.

nr200-feat-hero.jpg?fit=1280,708&ssl=1

Edited by atomheartbevo

I've been out of the game for a couple years but am starting to do some research on piecing a new rig together. 

I think the first thing would be finding a good CPU/GPU combo without breaking the bank. 

Say I wanted to drop $1,000 on just those 2 parts and go from there - what would a good combo be? 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 1:41 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Today I learned that I could stick a Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X into the system I built a few years ago and jump from my 8-core 3700x to a 12-core or 16-core system.

Not going to lie, that's pretty cool, although I'd be going from a 65W TDP default to 105W, which, I built it in a small form-factor case with a mini-ITX case (the black one below), and I'm not sure I want to do that.  Plus I can't justify the money (no need for 12 or 16 cores), but damn, that gives me several extra years if I want to upgrade it in a few years and give it to my kid.

nr200-feat-hero.jpg?fit=1280,708&ssl=1

my 5900x in my server slaps the shit out of the 3700x i have in my gaming box.  the 5900x replaced my 1700x that had originally been in my gaming box.  the 5900x completes a job that used to run full time on the 3700x and 1700x and then has to wait around asking for more.  if i find another great deal on one i may pick up a second to replace the 3700x, though the lack of heat emanating from my desk is nice. 

that said, for gaming i think the 5800x3d is a bit faster than the 5900x.  wouldn't mind one of those either. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

also the X3D 7000 variants launch next month and the non X SKU's just launched and basically knock 100 off each for no real noticeable difference

I have read really good things about the Ryzen 7 5800x3D but it's still on the AM4 platform and I would prefer AM5 or LGA1700 with my build. 

Would be interested to see the 7900x3D price...

I put this much cheaper build than the one I was looking at together.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W7FKTn

2 hours ago, immamac said:

also the X3D 7000 variants launch next month and the non X SKU's just launched and basically knock 100 off each for no real noticeable difference

definitely would not  buy into AM4 at this point but very pleased the basic system i bought into 6 years ago will be fine for another couple.

Edited by elfenix

4 hours ago, immamac said:

The non X also use waaayyyyy less power which means less heat which is always nice. It seems like the X chips are just better binned silicon with different microcode. I'm rocking a 3700x and may upgrade to 5800X3D since I don't want to buy a new memory kit too

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

if i find another great deal on one i may pick up a second to replace the 3700x, though the lack of heat emanating from my desk is nice. 

Yep, I built a mini-ITX for a reason, plus most of the games we play are more constrained by the GPU anyways.

And this week, my son need to play on my desktop because he was playing Minecraft Java edition with some special mods, and it was the first time he had used my desktop to play Minecraft, and he told me multiple times how much better it was to play on a PC than an iPad or Switch.

Denzel Washington GIF

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, I built a mini-ITX for a reason, plus most of the games we play are more constrained by the GPU anyways.

And this week, my son need to play on my desktop because he was playing Minecraft Java edition with some special mods, and it was the first time he had used my desktop to play Minecraft, and he told me multiple times how much better it was to play on a PC than an iPad or Switch.

Denzel Washington GIF

This is you

Proud Papa GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captainant said:

The non X also use waaayyyyy less power which means less heat which is always nice. It seems like the X chips are just better binned silicon with different microcode. I'm rocking a 3700x and may upgrade to 5800X3D since I don't want to buy a new memory kit too

Amazon has the 5800x3d on Sale for 339 right now(24% off).

Newegg has it listed at 349 and sayd it's the lowest price in the last 30 days.

$339 is the lowest price it has had aside from a 330 price tag in the last 4-5 months. 

Although I would imagine there may be a price drop next month with the new models rolling out.

I want to see price points and real world testing from people like GamersNexus on them though before purchasing. The 7800x3d and 7900x3d both have my eye now after looking into both. 

image.thumb.png.9441c40dfc2dd0d11ada7c971392a6df.png

On 1/13/2023 at 7:52 AM, Viper said:

It's back ordered till March, but one of the fastest NVMe SSD's is on sale for $169 for 2TB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7CMZ3QH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

you have to scroll down to the box "New (15) from $169.99 Prime Free Delivery"

it's still sold by Amazon not a third party

This is also on sale now

I think I may be about to pull the trigger on this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k3r4Tn

@immamac please review at your earliest convenience and let me know. I'd love a 4090 but I just can't see spending 700-800 more dollars on the GPU. 

The 13700k is within 5-10% of the 13900k in terms of real world performance but for $150ish less. 

That PSU comes with the correct PSU connection adapter for the 4080/4090s

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

I think I may be about to pull the trigger on this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k3r4Tn

@immamac please review at your earliest convenience and let me know. I'd love a 4090 but I just can't see spending 700-800 more dollars on the GPU. 

The 13700k is within 5-10% of the 13900k in terms of real world performance but for $150ish less. 

That PSU comes with the correct PSU connection adapter for the 4080/4090s

thats an insane computer and you leave room for more RAM later on. I think that system will last at least 6 or 7 years before even needing to consider a refresh. 

6 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Looks aight but you probably could have gotten all those parts at Microcenter for cheaper. Keep an eye on the temps in that Lian Li case. Some can run hot.

GamersNexus has it as one of the better performing cases in terms of CPU thermals and GPU(about middle of the back but 3 degrees from top performers at stock. I was looking for more air flow type cases when I found this one in their reviews and etc. 

I was looking at Microcenter but the closest one to me is in Houston, 3.5 hours away. I'm surprised there isn't one in Austin/San Antonio area considering all the tech and tech jobs in these two areas.

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I was looking at Microcenter but the closest one to me is in Houston, 3.5 hours away. I'm surprised there isn't one in Austin/San Antonio area considering all the tech and tech jobs in these two areas.

Fry's out front coulda told you.  It's a bizarre thing how fast that place collapsed, but they fucked themselves over.

Better for my bank account that a Microcenter is not nearby.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 1/12/2023 at 9:00 AM, ztejas said:

I've been out of the game for a couple years but am starting to do some research on piecing a new rig together. 

I think the first thing would be finding a good CPU/GPU combo without breaking the bank. 

Say I wanted to drop $1,000 on just those 2 parts and go from there - what would a good combo be? 

Bump. 

Sorry I'm not meeting the $6k rig threshold.